Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Alan Wake

Old 05-19-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Alan Wake

Last night I played through Episode 1 of Alan Wake, the opening of RDR (up to the first opportunity to save), and the first episode of Split/Second. Too many awesome games to play!

I will probably play an episode of Alan Wake every night, if time allows. For me, it's a game that has to be played late at night with the sound way up.
Old 05-19-10, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm waiting on my copy to show up sometime today.

The first DLC is supposed to be free for people who buy new. Was there a DLC card included in people's cases?
Old 05-19-10, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by TLwizard View Post
I'm waiting on my copy to show up sometime today.

The first DLC is supposed to be free for people who buy new. Was there a DLC card included in people's cases?
Yep, mine came with a card in the case.
Old 05-19-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

How is it overall as a game? The reason I ask is because while I love first-person immersion-type games, I didn't really like Condemned and just don't get all the creeped out by games (or horror movies, etc.). I'm willing to throw myself into a game, so any input on overall gameplay (if that makes any sense), not just the "scare" factor. Thanks~

Picked up RDR and am LOVING it, so no hurry...
Old 05-19-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UncleGramps View Post
Last night I played through Episode 1 of Alan Wake, the opening of RDR (up to the first opportunity to save), and the first episode of Split/Second. Too many awesome games to play!

I will probably play an episode of Alan Wake every night, if time allows. For me, it's a game that has to be played late at night with the sound way up.
Ep. 3 is a long one...expect 2-3 hours.
Old 05-19-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by uteotw View Post
How is it overall as a game? The reason I ask is because while I love first-person immersion-type games, I didn't really like Condemned and just don't get all the creeped out by games (or horror movies, etc.). I'm willing to throw myself into a game, so any input on overall gameplay (if that makes any sense), not just the "scare" factor. Thanks~

check the link in my sig
Old 05-19-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I managed to pull myself from RDR yesterday long enough to play through the first episode of Alan Wake around 3:00 last night (Perfect time to play too. Dark room, brightness turned down, volume turned up). I might be the only person in the world to say this, but I might prefer AW to RDR. Then again, horror is my favorite genre of anything (books, movies, etc).
I also like the Twin Peaks-esque feeling I get from the game, which is only made stronger by the game being divided up into episodes like a TV show (Complete with previously on recaps at the begining of each!). I am just blown away by this game, but that may be in part from me avoiding much of the hype it had for a while...

Originally Posted by uteotw View Post

The game can be considered 'scary', but I am like you (rarely scared by games/movies) and I would just say it's definitely creepy.
The game of course is a 3rd person action game. Alan is armed with a flashlight in one hand and a firearm of some sort in the other. The enemies are stunned by the flashlight, and pushing one of the left shoulder buttons concentrates the beam on the enemies, and after you weaken them with that, you can shoot them.
Aside from that it's like a survival horror game. Exploring and collecting manuscript pages while trying to just survive and piece together the mystery. The story and atmosphere is where this game really truely shines.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 05-19-10 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-19-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FYI, the last two episodes of Bright Falls hit the marketplace yesterday. I've only scratched the surface on the game, but I'd say that Bright Falls did a pretty good job of reflecting the tone and feel of it. It was pretty cool walking into the diner last night and seeing it (and the waitress) were the same as in the short film.
Old 05-19-10, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Ok, wow. This is Twin Peaks. Crazy lady carrying the Coffee looks just like the Log Lady. Even the recep at the Sherrif's office has the same voice. Wowzers!
Old 05-19-10, 08:53 PM
Mok

Just got a email from amazon with a refund for the price drop nice!
Old 05-19-10, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mok View Post
Just got a email from amazon with a refund for the price drop nice!
Me too. Amazon kicks ass.
Old 05-19-10, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Every time someone mentions "Twin Peaks" in this thread a Deadly Premonition fan sheds a tear. Just wanted you all to be aware of your power.
Old 05-20-10, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson View Post
I might be the only person in the world to say this, but I might prefer AW to RDR.
Nope, Alan Wake is much better so far. RDR 7/10, AW 9/10. I didn't expect much from RDR though, since it's exactly GTA IV, and that game was uber boring. THQ should have made it, then it would have been FUN like Saints Row
Old 05-20-10, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just finished playing through episode one. Amazing. Put me in the camp that prefers AW to RDR (not that I'm not totally digging RDR). This is like if David Lynch adapted a Stephen King novel, only you're not just watching it -- you get to live it (virtually speaking), which makes it all the more intense.

If I didn't know how long it took to make a video game, let alone how long this particular game has been in development, I'd think that this game was a response to Roger Ebert's "video games can't be art" nonsense.

Also, after listening to the first few songs on the soundtrack, I really wish I had sprung for the collector's edition.

Last edited by JasonF; 05-20-10 at 02:31 AM.
Old 05-20-10, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Played through episode one last night. I really wish they would have gone the extra step at the end there and made it like an episode of TV where credits rolled over the Orbison song.
Old 05-20-10, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Me too. Amazon kicks ass.
Not me, got the LE. Sigh. Should have just gotten the regular edition and saved $40.
Old 05-20-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by superfro View Post
Every time someone mentions "Twin Peaks" in this thread a Deadly Premonition fan sheds a tear. Just wanted you all to be aware of your power.
I'm playing both...I get it.
Old 05-20-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas View Post
I am in love with the limited edition. Box that looks and feels like a hardcover book, a soundtrack that is actually on a CD instead of a download code, a bonus DVD, and a 150+ page book about the storyline.
I received mine yesterday and I loved it too. I read the preface of the book and was really into it. I will read the book when I finish the game.

Originally Posted by chuckd21 View Post
Played through episode one last night. I really wish they would have gone the extra step at the end there and made it like an episode of TV where credits rolled over the Orbison song.
Yeah, I saw you last night. I checked my FL and there were like 20 people playing RDR and you playing AW. LOL!
And yeah, I saw the end of episode one and was waiting for the credits to roll.

Now, about the game, since I first read about this game I fell in love with it. The initial concept may have been a little different from the actual game that was released but the essence was the same. And that's what made me look for this game.

So I thought there was no way to get disappointed by this game, but at the beginning I really was!!!
Some little complains:
- Graphics are good but they are not great, not for this generation. When the game was announced the graphics were so advanced!
- NPCs, that's one of the most distracting things of the game, they are really bad. Even The Saboteur has better NPCs. I was specially hard in Episode One seeing Alice, you are suppose to care a lot about her and she was just like a robot. The voice acting is really great though.
- Graphics glitchs. I'm having the same issues that L&O mentioned before (screen tearing). And I'm the kind that is never bothered by them, or I'm never able to see them, but for some reason I'm seeing them this time. They don't happen so often but when they happen they are distracting.

But they are just little, for me, after finishing Episode One I can say I love this game. And if it continues at this quality level it's my first candidate to GOTY!
Old 05-20-10, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've yet to see any screen tearing.

Everyone in this world is a mouth-breather. No one seems able to completely close their mouth.

There's a lot more graphics pop-in than I'd like to see in a 2010 release. And there's a strange disconnect between the gameplay graphics and the cut scenes. Sure the cut scenes look better, but there's just something off between the two. Like a different filter being used or a different contrast setting. It's rather jarring when the game switches back and forth, IMO.
Old 05-20-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Screen tearing is bad in lit areas. Luckily most of the game is in the dark so its easy to blend in and not be too noticeable. I'm also seeing some crazy ass shaking thing going on when it goes to cut scenes sometimes. Like the entire letterboxed scene is jittering up and down. Is it just me?
Old 05-20-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
I was specially hard in Episode One seeing Alice
TMI!

Yeah, the facial animations during the cutscenes are pretty terrible. Fortunately, that's the only real complaint I have so far.
Old 05-20-10, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just finished it. Yea I kinda rushed but i've been waiting for this game for quite some time and with Red Dead waiting next I couldn't put it down.

What a ride! I can't wait till the rest of you catch up so we can start discussing the ending.
Old 05-20-10, 11:07 PM
Mok

Surprised I haven't seen any commercials for this game yet, you would think they would advertise it a bit.
Old 05-20-10, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas View Post

What a ride! I can't wait till the rest of you catch up so we can start discussing the ending.
ending discussion.
Spoiler:
How did you find the final boss fight to be? I was slightly disappointed in how easy it was to take down the tornado.
Old 05-21-10, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished Episode 2 last night. I have a feeling this is going to be my GOTY. They just nailed the atmosphere. Moving through the woods at night, I'm constantly hearing sounds that have me jumping in all directions, shining my flashlight all over the place. The game is about as engaging and immersive as I've seen. It's one of the better narratives I've seen in a game and so far it's worlds above this year's big story game, Heavy Rain. I also love the Night Falls episodes. I've only come across two so far, but they're great little 5-minute Twilight Zone-ish shorts.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.