Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Alan Wake

Old 10-12-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: Alan Wake

So what do these DLCs do for the story? Any additional word on a sequel?
Old 10-13-10, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 145 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
So what do these DLCs do for the story? Any additional word on a sequel?
There's no way this game gets a sequel IMO. I enjoyed the game -although it got repetitive -- and I just can't see running around in the woods with a flashlight for another game. They'd have to go in an entirely new direction for me to be interested.
Old 10-14-10, 11:16 PM
gamer for life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished the Writer....

Not as good as I was hoping for. I think I liked The Signal better....

The game has some control problems for me...jumping and climbing on things seemed clunky, and during one part on a bridge my character would keep getting stuck climbing up stairs...

Also some fucking STUPID design choices...one part where you had to jump was just bad...it asks you to focus by clicking on your left stick, and while the scene is playing out, and you keep having to push focus...I must have still been moving and as soon as I came out of focus I fell to my death...

minor spoilers...not giving away the ending, just how I felt about it

Spoiler:
It really did not add anything...while I thought The Signal only added little, at least it added something..this really was just blah for me...

this next one is major spoilers...don't click unless you have beaten the Writer

Spoiler:
wtf? Really? If that was how they were going to end it? With the idea that he is going to write a sequel? If you want your audience to be left wanting more and filling in the blanks....you could have just let it end with the main game or even the Signal...don't make dlc only to bring you right back where the main game left you...Did I really learn anything with this?

As far as the game went, it was still fun, but as was said above, I am ready to be done with it...6 out of 10...with the main game being a 9 out of 10....
Old 10-14-10, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

How much do you think is a fair price to pay? It looks interesting but i think i'd wait till at least $20-$30 range.
Old 10-15-10, 12:20 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
How much do you think is a fair price to pay? It looks interesting but i think i'd wait till at least $20-$30 range.
The main game is easily worth full price...one of the better games this year. In fact i would rate it number 3 behind Red Dead and Mass Effect 2. Seeing as it is in the mid $30 range I say go for it.
Old 10-15-10, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plus new copies of the game still come with the first DLC free. That's a $7 value.
Old 10-15-10, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 145 Likes on 120 Posts

I d/l The Writer last night. How long did it take you to finish it Fox?
Old 10-15-10, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I played through The Writer a couple of nights ago, and last night I finally got the "play through it without dying" achievement after...many attempts. Let's just say there's a lot of platforming in this episode, which is a bad idea for a game where the jumping/climbing is a bit imprecise.

More Alan Wake is always a good thing in my book though, so I enjoyed it.
Old 10-15-10, 09:17 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I d/l The Writer last night. How long did it take you to finish it Fox?
about an hour....
Old 10-15-10, 09:23 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post
I played through The Writer a couple of nights ago, and last night I finally got the "play through it without dying" achievement after...many attempts. Let's just say there's a lot of platforming in this episode, which is a bad idea for a game where the jumping/climbing is a bit imprecise.
Yeah I played on normal, and figured I would get the achv no problem...I never even came close to dying, except the stupid platforming as I mentioned above. I don't have the patience to go back and do that again...
Old 10-15-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The $25.00 I paid for it through Dell awhile back was a fair price to pay considering you are buying a game which was not complete in the first place. Original buyers of this game should not have to pay additional money in order to finish this game. Add-ons are simply that....add-ons. Yes..the signal was a free download however if I want to finish this game I will have to pay the additional $5.00 to finish it. Money is not the issue here.....it is the principal of the whole thing. I cannot imagine those who originally purchased this for $60.00 feel like it was worth it. I would have felt ripped off. As others have already stated, there is a lot of repetition from the beginning to the end and The Signal add-on multiplies this repetition beyond belief. I liked Alan Wake...did not love it. The story on the main disc which is not over at completion is good...awesome graphics!!! Overall, this game is worth $20-$30.00 in my opinion. It is already reduced to $39.99 after only being out for a few months. Under $30.00 would be your buy price...
Old 10-15-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really do not understand how the 6 episodes are not a complete game. That sounds like a very jaded opinion. In my opinion, there was a full story told. Hell, it was actually the 2nd half of one person's story and the 1st half of another's.
Old 10-15-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you don't mind used, Family Video has it for $20 (free shipping when you use "Pumpkins" coupon code this weekend)

http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/p...cts_id=-347578
Old 10-15-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
I really do not understand how the 6 episodes are not a complete game. That sounds like a very jaded opinion. In my opinion, there was a full story told. Hell, it was actually the 2nd half of one person's story and the 1st half of another's.
How is it a full story? He is searching for his wife. Did he find his wife at the end of the main game? No.....
Old 10-15-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by djones6746 View Post
How is it a full story? He is searching for his wife. Did he find his wife at the end of the main game? No.....
Did he rescue his wife? Yes.....

Was it even Alan's story?

Is Alan even real?
Old 10-15-10, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How is it a full story? He is searching for his wife. Did he find his wife at the end of the main game? No..... If you are a Zelda fan, how would you feel if there was no conclusion to any of the Zelda games? You did not save the lands from darkness nor rescue the princess.
Old 10-15-10, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did he rescue his wife? Yes.....

Was it even Alan's story?

Is Alan even real?
LOL!!! That is true..... Am I even typing this post? Who are you?
Old 10-15-10, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by djones6746 View Post
How is it a full story? He is searching for his wife. Did he find his wife at the end of the main game? No..... If you are a Zelda fan, how would you feel if there was no conclusion to any of the Zelda games? You did not save the lands from darkness nor rescue the princess.
Not every story has to have the exact same structure, pace, or conclusion. This is a perfect example of open-to-interpretation. Granted, I haven't played the 2nd DLC yet to see if that changes my view of the main game.

I'm just saying I was satisfied with the 6 on-disc episodes and "concluding" cinematic.
Old 10-15-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But this is America GodDammit! We need everything bundled up and neat and tidy at the end, we can't have lingering questions. Problems are all solved within 30 minutes (including 8 minutes of commercials) - so why can't they complete a story in a 10 hour game!?
Old 10-15-10, 02:10 PM
gamer for life

I felt the regular game was a full experience, with a cliff-hanger ending that made you try to fill in the blanks....the dlc actually took away from it a bit I think...while they were fun, they added nothing....sort of made it seem like the main game was not complete...which it is..
Old 10-15-10, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by foxdvd View Post
I felt the regular game was a full experience, with a cliff-hanger ending that made you try to fill in the blanks....the dlc actually took away from it a bit I think...while they were fun, they added nothing....sort of made it seem like the main game was not complete...which it is..
My feelings exactly. I paid full price for Alan Wake on release day, and I was 100% satisfied with my purchase.
Old 10-25-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
You should not play it out of principle for those ads!
Didn't need to, so far lack of interest has achieved the same effect with less self-righteous indignation.
Old 10-25-10, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by porieux View Post
Didn't need to, so far lack of interest has achieved the same effect with less self-righteous indignation.
So, you won...?
Old 10-25-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So, you won...?
Who knows, maybe I lost. Depends how much I would have enjoyed the game.

Might still get around to playing it, sometime. If I do, I will mentally replace Alan Wake's voice with that of Garth Marenghi, that's for sure.
Old 12-09-10, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thinking about picking up a download code from eBay for cheap. What say you, people that finished it? Worth $15 or $20 or so? I realize with this method I'll be missing out on the free DLC, but that's okay with me.

(Bear with me here, I haven't read much of the thread in hopes of avoiding spoilers. . .)

Last edited by Matt; 12-10-10 at 03:06 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.