Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Alan Wake

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Alan Wake

Originally Posted by pinata242
Thanks, Alan. I just took the morning off to play through Ep4 and holy shit was that awesome! Where's that Old Gods of Asgard in Rock Band petition again?
I fucking told you!
Old 08-05-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't doubt you, I just couldn't listen until I played the game!
Old 08-05-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Which is perfect for the game - it's a Stephen King story brought to videogames. Normal people put in fucked up circumstances. They get tired after sprinting, they aren't top marksmen - and sometimes they need to run while shitting their pants to make it to safety. If Oy had made an appearance, I would've been in heaven.
Old 08-08-10, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Quick (legit) question - since I'm still on the fence on buying this one.....I just downloaded all 6 webisodes from xboxlive - will watching them spoil anything from the game?
Old 08-08-10, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched them long before I played the game and I don't think so. It's a prequel, but it does a cool thing of introducing real-world actors as certain in-game characters.

I need to go back and watch them now that I'm finished.
Old 08-09-10, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool - thanks.
Old 08-09-10, 12:47 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Alan Wake is barely in any of the episodes so nothing is spoiled. It's basically just introducing you to the town.
Old 08-09-10, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts

I just got this today at Kmart. I played the first episode tonight after Mad Men. Pretty fucking cool game. Can someone tell me why I'm collecting thermoses? Are they just the COG tags of this game to unlock Achievements, or do they serve any other purpose (like health)?
Old 08-09-10, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just finished the game, going to start the DLC soon. had fun but can't see myself playing through the story again on nightmare. the combat was annoying at times and there was a lot of filler running through the woods. thermoses are collectibles for an achievement.

Last edited by KenKeith; 08-09-10 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-09-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I just got this today at Kmart. I played the first episode tonight after Mad Men. Pretty fucking cool game. Can someone tell me why I'm collecting thermoses? Are they just the COG tags of this game to unlock Achievements, or do they serve any other purpose (like health)?
Achievements... and I read that it's a nod to Twin Peaks and the dev teams obsession with coffee.
Old 08-09-10, 09:56 AM

I'm amazed they didn't find a corporate sponsor for the thermos.
Old 08-09-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, does the gameplay change at all after the 1st two epsidoes? I got sick of "Shine a Light, Shoot (Run)"
Old 08-09-10, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 08-09-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry, no, the game doesn't change. Outside of a few scripted sequences you can just focus on the "run" aspect.
Old 08-09-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
So, does the gameplay change at all after the 1st two epsidoes? I got sick of "Shine a Light, Shoot (Run)"
It's way different. Later on you get a bigger flashlight.
Old 08-09-10, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by edstein
It's way different. Later on you get a bigger flashlight.
Hey, didn't I make it clear I just started this game?
USE SPOILERS!!!!

Old 08-09-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And a bigger shotgun!
Old 08-10-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I watched all 6 webisodes and completed episodes one and two last night.

The webisodes were very well done for what they were - I enjoyed them.

The game. Well it's a mixed bag. First, you can notice why this game took forever to come out. Not by just detail alone but this game has the biggest mix of up to date and out of date graphics ever, voice synch is a little off...etc. They basically started developing this thing too early, found out they could do things a little better then went back to the drawing board - they really should have done what Rockstar did with GTA IV....just wait a while before even starting - I by no means loved GTA IV (I love the episodes from liberty city) but it's just an example that waiting it out is a better option.

Story wise it's top notch, I love Stephen King anyway so this game was very easy to get into.

So here's the problem and prob the reason I won't be coming back to finish it.....the gameplay. It's pretty boring. I mean yeah, the taken are cool and everything and they always keep me on edge but running out of ammo (even when being conservative with ammo...so conservative to the point that I pulled of a double kill and got the achievement for it during the first episode) and the same old point your light and shoot just got so tired after a while and what they make you do at the end of episode 2 is ridiculous.

I love the tv shows (can't remember the name of the show) and the environments are very well done.

Also, I do love the realism in the game as far as how often you have to reload, change batteries, how your guy stumbles, how out of shape he is after running.....it all makes sense and works but it doesn't balance out with the underwhelming combat.

It's a mixed bag for me...I do like it and the game doesn't suck by any means but like one person said earlier; I don't know if I have it in me to finish.

Last edited by Rival11; 08-10-10 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-10-10, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rival11
this game has the biggest mix of up to date and out of date graphics ever, voice sync is a little off...etc.
It's a little more ironic that the first (of MANY) product placements you see is for Sync by Ford.
Old 08-13-10, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, This game stuck with me for the entire day I stopped playing.....So I re-rented it and got through Episode 3 and I'm almost done with 4.

Episode 3 was excellent as it wasn't the same old combat back to back. Yeah it was a long one but well worth it. Episode 4 is really great as well and again, since I love Stephen King....well, 4 is basically ALL Stephen King so far. I can definitely see how some people would roll their eyes at all the homages but for all fellow King geeks out there.....I'm guessing they're all like me and can't get enough.

Oh, and the graphics when you reach the outside of the lodge (looking down) are prob the best I've ever seen in a game.....I just stood there for a good while checking it out - pretty incredible shit.

Glad I decided to go back to this game....Episodes 1 & 2 weren't bad, I just thought that's all the game would have in store......I was definitely wrong.

I'm definitely going to be buying this one as well (can't believe it's $39.99 already and you get a $20.00 coupon for gaming at some retailers if you buy it) so I can play the DLC's. I hope there will be more than 2 of them.

Last edited by Rival11; 08-13-10 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-15-10, 02:00 AM

Interesting. I did Episode 2 tonight. I love the game's presentation and the graphics (especially lighting, which is maybe the best I've ever seen in a game). Not all that much fun to play so far.
First of all I have problems with any game that encourages you to keep moving and running away that at the same time wants you to explore for collectibles. Hell, I even had a problem with it in last year's masterpiece Uncharted 2. For me, at least, it takes you out of the protagonist's view to say to yourself "I have to hurry and save him... just as soon as I check what's behind this rock over here in case there's a thermos". In both those games, the searching for collectibles takes you out of what is otherwise a very organic and cinematic experience and makes it feel much more game-like.
My other "problem" is that I don't really see much incentive to stand there and "kill" all the Taken if there's no benefit to it over just running past them and sprinting to the next streetlight. The main reason I'm fighting them at all is because, so far, if I didn't there wouldn't be much game to play.

I'm not meaning to bash this high quality game, but I'd be lying to say I was over the moon for it so far.
Old 08-15-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Interesting. I did Episode 2 tonight. I love the game's presentation and the graphics (especially lighting, which is maybe the best I've ever seen in a game). Not all that much fun to play so far.
First of all I have problems with any game that encourages you to keep moving and running away that at the same time wants you to explore for collectibles. Hell, I even had a problem with it in last year's masterpiece Uncharted 2. For me, at least, it takes you out of the protagonist's view to say to yourself "I have to hurry and save him... just as soon as I check what's behind this rock over here in case there's a thermos". In both those games, the searching for collectibles takes you out of what is otherwise a very organic and cinematic experience and makes it feel much more game-like.
My other "problem" is that I don't really see much incentive to stand there and "kill" all the Taken if there's no benefit to it over just running past them and sprinting to the next streetlight. The main reason I'm fighting them at all is because, so far, if I didn't there wouldn't be much game to play.

I'm not meaning to bash this high quality game, but I'd be lying to say I was over the moon for it so far.
You hit on a lot of how I felt when first playing but hang in there....once you get to E.3 things change. Nothing drastic but it just gets more involving.

And yes you are correct...there is no reason to fight all the taken other than to unlock specific achievements based on how you take them out.

Oh, and I beat the game last night.....that last 'fight' rivals the ending fight in dead space - I really dug that - and the story makes sooooooome sense to me but I guess I kinda like that I don't understand every little thing.

Last edited by Rival11; 08-15-10 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-17-10, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rival11
Oh, and I beat the game last night.....that last 'fight' rivals the ending fight in dead space - I really dug that - and the story makes sooooooome sense to me but I guess I kinda like that I don't understand every little thing.
I guess it made sense to me too. I just took it as
Spoiler:
Wake was literally dreaming
... but that would be kinda lame. Since I just finished the main campaign today I d/l The Signal and hope that sheds some light too. I really, really enjoyed the game after the 3rd chapter... especially with Barry wearing the Xmas lights on his coat
Old 08-17-10, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
I d/l The Signal and hope that sheds some light too.

It's one hell of a ride

Last edited by Liver&Onions; 08-17-10 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-17-10, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Need to do my Nightmare run so I can get to The Signal.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.