Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Old 12-04-09, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Originally Posted by John Slider View Post
At the risk of sounding dense, what exactly is Plunder?
objective based game where you try and carry the weighted treasure to the treasure chest at your base before the opposing team does

favorite MP mode if you ask me
Old 12-05-09, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kinda mixed on how I feel about the test with the new lowered health
right now I think I like it better the old way or somewhere in between the two

it was a shock to start my first game yesterday with the new system and be killed from a distance in 1 shot ... took some getting used to to adjust

it certainly makes the FAL (which I use a lot) much more deadly than before and you wind up dying a lot quicker at certain spawn points
Old 12-06-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, I was hoping Plunder would mean you would have to go around and find guns before you could defend yourself. I'm not going to bother playing online until they put the old health system back. I'm tired of games and easy kills, Call of Duty MW2 is extremely easy to kill / be killed. I like the old Metal Gear style where you have to actually fight for a kill. If they keep it this way, which I hope they don't, I hope they up the amount of kills in Team Death Matches to 100 instead of 50.
Old 12-15-09, 12:54 AM
Suspended

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

So I finished this, and figured individual chapters would be selectable... but they're not. Do I seriously have to play thru and resave before every spot I want to access later? Am I missing something?
Old 12-15-09, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
So I finished this, and figured individual chapters would be selectable... but they're not. Do I seriously have to play thru and resave before every spot I want to access later? Am I missing something?
Did you start on a new game? If you start a new game, you can't. But if you don't start a new game you can go back to any previous chapter, if I remember correctly.
Old 12-15-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, you should be able to play any chapter at the level you beat it at or easier. I had issues going back and forth between mp and single player and it thought I had a corrupt save file and tried to take all my money and lock out my stats. I had several save files and had to delete all but one....which restored my money and stats and whatnot. Either way, there's something wrong with the save file shit.
Old 12-15-09, 08:59 PM
Suspended

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by TLwizard View Post
Did you start on a new game? If you start a new game, you can't. But if you don't start a new game you can go back to any previous chapter, if I remember correctly.
Yeah I figured it out. A little odd how they set it up. Thanks.
Old 12-15-09, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<param name="movie" value="http://g4tv.com/lv3/43252" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://g4tv.com/lv3/43252" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="VideoPlayer" width="480" height="382" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" /></object>
Old 12-20-09, 08:06 PM

I can't kill the Yeti, and I'm going crazy. I must have died 100 times already.
Old 12-21-09, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that was a little hard. Are you playing on Normal or Hard?

I played on hard and my only recommendation is to keep running. Run, run, run, fire your weapon, run, run, run, fire your weapon, stay away, far away from the yeti.

And I guess this is the first time you meet him...
Spoiler:

he won't die
Old 12-21-09, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
Yeah, that was a little hard. Are you playing on Normal or Hard?

I played on hard and my only recommendation is to keep running. Run, run, run, fire your weapon, run, run, run, fire your weapon, stay away, far away from the yeti.

And I guess this is the first time you meet him...
Spoiler:

he won't die
I'm playing on normal. If I could figure out how to avoid letting him pick me up. That's when I'm done for. I've been pretty close to killing him, but dang this is hard.
Old 12-21-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tboogie View Post
I'm playing on normal. If I could figure out how to avoid letting him pick me up. That's when I'm done for. I've been pretty close to killing him, but dang this is hard.
Spoiler:
It's been awhile since I played, but if I remember correctly about where you are, he won't die because you're not supposed to kill him. You just need to avoid him long enough to get to a certain elevator or platform. I could be wrong, though. Maybe I'm thinking of a different part.
Old 12-21-09, 12:53 PM

I heard that as well. I just can't seem to stay alive long enough.
Old 12-22-09, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you haven't gotten used to running and gunning (remember the truck sequence from the beginning), that part would be tough. He's actually very easy to run and gun away from, and then just dodge when he gets close. Provided you've done it long enough, he'll eventually catch you and the scene will continue.
Old 12-22-09, 12:38 PM

How do I run and shoot behind me, i.e., run and gun?
Old 12-22-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just hold down fire.
Old 12-22-09, 12:53 PM

Thanks!
Old 12-26-09, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 488 Likes on 405 Posts

Sometimes when the yeti grabs me I don't get the triangle-square combo, not sure why. And if I don't, I'm doomed.

I just finished the game! After I got release-day delivery, my PS3 died so it took me a while to finish. Like others I wasn't wild about the boss battles, but otherwise I love the game. Great story, and characters I care about. And I had avoided enough spoilers to not know that
Spoiler:
Elena and Sully came back
. It was to be expected, of course, but the preview I'd seen had no traces and I didn't see the character skins etc. earlier in this thread.
Old 12-27-09, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

A friend lent me this. I played it with someone else, taking turns. We're about three hours in. I've fallen asleep twice. The graphics are nice, and there's a story, but I don't see the greatness.
Old 12-27-09, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
A friend lent me this. I played it with someone else, taking turns. We're about three hours in. I've fallen asleep twice. The graphics are nice, and there's a story, but I don't see the greatness.
Did you play the first one at all? Or is this your first foray into Uncharted?

I think this one started a bit slow. Wasn't a big fan of the flashback at the start (and quite honestly it had me a bit alarmed for the whole game at first) but after the museum it really kicked in for me.
Old 12-27-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 634 Likes on 514 Posts

It takes a little while for the "greatness" to kick in.

Then it's awesome for a good while.

Then it fades back to bleh. But overall the great outweighs the bleh.
Old 12-28-09, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, the helicopter chase scene was certainly awesome. I also think the game has the best voice-acting since Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage (a Dreamcast game). But there is still eye-rollingly bad dialogue (the whole "is that a dagger in your pocket or are you happy to see me?") and the controls many times feel very floaty.

I'm now stuck in the water temple, trying to figure out how to bring down the third blade.

If I'm being overly critical, it's because of all the "greatest game ever" commentary I'd been hearing.
Old 12-28-09, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This fucking game. Why was I stuck at the water temple? Because I didn't think you could climb on the blades again. Well, you can. You just have to line it up pixel-perfect to jump on. I stood next to the blades for 30 seconds, hitting jump constantly. Eventually, I was able to jump on. Stuff like this makes me angry.

Two more examples: First, as we exited the water temple, I got stuck while going up some stairs. It was in the middle of combat, so I kept getting shot. There was a broken vase in front of me (like, one you'd have on your dining room table) and I couldn't step over it. It was, maybe, 4 inches tall. But no, it's impassable. An NPC got behind me and all I could do (while getting shot, mind you) was leap onto a foot-high ledge.

Second, while getting to the water tower before the train yard, I am walking around looking for ammo, when suddenly my character teleported. It must've thought I wanted to jump (I did not hit jump) and "moved" me across 10 feet of air, then had me hanging off the edge.

I know these games are complex but stuff like that shouldn't happen.

The high points of the game are phenomenal. I just finished the first half and the train sequence is absolutely fantastic. There's been more than a few moments where I cheer. I just wish next time they employ a few more QA people. It has nothing to do with the level design, graphics, flow of the game, etc. Those are all great.
Old 12-28-09, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 298 Likes on 211 Posts

Any "Sunny in Philly" fans get a laugh out of how Drake totally uses the D.E.N.N.I.S. system on the women in the game?
Spoiler:
The D.E.N.N.I.S. System:

D – Demonstrate Your Value
E – Engage Physically
N – Nurturing Dependence
N - Neglect Emotionally
I – Inspire Hope
S – Separate Entirely
Old 01-05-10, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nearly half way through. I went in a little skeptical of all the praise, but it really is just an outstandingly polished linear action adventure game. Every once in a while you see the seams of the very directed experience, but it doesn't matter all that much. I think it's the first game that I really appreciate the voice acting in, I've genuinely laughed multiple times. The scene
Spoiler:

on top of the hotel where you jump in the pool and start saying Marco...Polo, was hilarious and completely unexpected.

Also the companion characters remind me of Alyx in the Half Life 2 episodes. It makes the characters much more meaningful when they are actually with you throughout the game, rather than just in random cutscenes.

Last edited by msdmoney; 01-05-10 at 06:05 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.