Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Call of duty WOW

Old 11-14-08, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
While I'm certainly in the camp of being let down by more of the same WWII guns after the sweet guns in CoD4, I have to say that the flame thrower is pretty fucking' sweet.
Old 11-14-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Here's the X-Play review:
Morgan Webb reading a review is just painful.
Old 11-14-08, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts
Well I decided to pick this one up instead of Fallout 3 and I must say....I love it - even more so then Call of Duty 4.

The maps are much improved, the visuals have been improved, the single player game is fantastic (not through with it yet).

The multiplayer has much more detail. Things like your enemy talking shit to you when they tag you, hoping on a tank, the sound effects overall, etc... are all just great touches.
Old 11-14-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I wasn't done. Post completed by accident and I can't edit my damn posts?

The one thing I thought I was I going to hate were the weapons but to my suprise the varitey is what really stands out here - it doesn't feel like you have to be tied to one gun like in COD4.

Very happy I bought this game.
Old 11-15-08, 12:04 AM

So far so good. Im really enjoying this game, great levels, nice selection of weapons. Some of the dialogue leaves a lot to be desired, i.e im on the "Assualt Wana Ridge" section and my squadmate wont shut up with his "Get to it Miller, take out that bunker", "We need to knock out that bunker", "Miller throw a satchel charge"... Once is more than enough, not every five seconds.
Old 11-15-08, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I finished the single player campaign. It was pretty fun. Not great, but pretty good. some really cool levels, but it was basically linear. I'm glad I unlocked Nazi Zombies though....played one round by myself and it was enjoyable. Simple yet fun.
Old 11-15-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I finished the single player campaign. It was pretty fun. Not great, but pretty good. some really cool levels, but it was basically linear. I'm glad I unlocked Nazi Zombies though....played one round by myself and it was enjoyable. Simple yet fun.
Welcome to Call of Duty.
Old 11-15-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks better than COD 4 from what I've seen. I'll probably pick this up within the next couple days.
Old 11-15-08, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,064 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I'm glad I unlocked Nazi Zombies though....played one round by myself and it was enjoyable. Simple yet fun.
A couple of friends and I played this last night and it is a lot of fun. Dare I say just as much or more fun than the Left 4 Dead demo...and this is just an add-on.

Get to level 5 and the place is crawling with zombies. The graphics are great and opening up the house as much as you want really adds to the replayability of this very small part of WAW.

With the excellent campaign, MP (that plays the same as COD4 but with bigger maps), zombie levels and rank up system...this may be the best "bang for your buck" game since The Orange Box.
Old 11-15-08, 01:12 PM

Finished the single player on Normal today. Odd that I started it late last night when the MP servers seemed to be on the fritz. It is quite short but seems much more difficult than COD4. Interesting to see how Veteran is.

Zombie mode is pretty sweet, and fun. Just played a single match but at Level 10 things got hectic. Also cool that your XP counts for your levels, etc.

Drop a line if anyone is on and wants to do 4 Player Zombie killing!
Old 11-15-08, 01:43 PM
Suspended

Hey guys I have an achievment question. Im playing on hardened and now into germany...any reason why I didnt get an achievment for Stormed Peleliu?

So far I have unlocked:

Purple Heart
No Safe place
Snake in the grass
close shave
carlsons raiders..

seems weird since I beat it on hardened I thought I should unlock it
Old 11-15-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another thing I love it the indirect team work required when the dogs are called on your team.

Many times when being attacked, a teammate would save me while I was saving another teammate - very cool and you always here the "thanks man" over earphone.

It also looks cool when you get killed by a dog only to watch one of your teammates killing the dog a little late on the kill-cam.
Old 11-15-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Wow, all these positive dvdtalk reviews are really encouraging. I was going to skip this one but who knows now.
Old 11-15-08, 05:34 PM

All done. What a fantastic game, it is probably better than any COD and Medal Of Honor WW game. Is it better than COD 4? I couldnt say. It was a very solid game though.

Im going to start playing online from tonight.
Old 11-15-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JHBulls
All done. What a fantastic game, it is probably better than any COD and Medal Of Honor WW game. Is it better than COD 4? I couldnt say. It was a very solid game though.

Im going to start playing online from tonight.
I think was once you start your online...you may just end joining the camp who like it's more than 4.

And just so everyone knows, I'm not bashing 4 at all - I love that game and will never get rid of it but World at War is a significant improvement over 4 and not just "Treyarch's turn" - this one could have easily been called part 5.

With that said...I'll stop kissing this games ass now
Old 11-15-08, 06:12 PM

Does anyone know what the 2 Secret Achievements are?

I lucked into Rough Economy (15 points - Kill 3 enemies with a single bullet. (Solo or co-op))
Spoiler:
with the BAR. One shot just happened to go through 3 people

I kept trying to get The Professional (Shoot all of Amsel's henchmen, including their attack dog, without reloading (Solo only))
Spoiler:
by getting the last guy and the dog in one shot, which was proving to be frustrating. Then I realized that after killing everyone else and you have one bullet, to back up a bit, stab the dog when it comes at you and then shoot the last guy.

Next up is Gunslinger, which looks to be fun
Old 11-15-08, 07:47 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamieson22
Does anyone know what the 2 Secret Achievements are?
I've got the guide book. The secret achievements are:

Spoiler:
IT'S ALL ABOUT PRESTIGE - 0 POINTS
Prestige for the first time.

GO GET SOME SUN - 0 POINTS
Achieve the highest level of Prestige.

These are the only two Multiplayer achievements. And they're not available as Trophies on the PS3.
Old 11-15-08, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I finished the single player campaign and have to say that it felt more like COD3 than COD4 to me. It was pretty short, the missions in each theater were too similar, and it just had that "been there, done that" feel. COD4's SP was groundbreaking in comparison. I am enjoying the MP, however, and that is where I'll be spending 90% of my time anyways.
Old 11-15-08, 11:59 PM

I am REALLY suprised at all the positive reviews, not that its a bad game its just feels like been there done this. I finished the campaign in about 4 hours which is WAY too short. Just played online for a few hours, the maps are way too big. Basically your running around for 5 minutes just trying to find someone. IMO the weapons are awful. To me it feels like a rehashed COD 3. I am really on the fence about keeping this one.
Old 11-17-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'm about halfway through this on Veteran (just finished the Black Cat mission which was very cool) and I'm trying to remember if grenade spamming was as bad on the other games as this one. You literally can not stay in one spot for more than a few seconds before grenade indicators surround you, no matter where you're hiding. Pretty frustrating. I've encountered two throw the controller against the wall points so far: the third mortar bunker on "Burn em Out" and following the flame tank up the hill. Other than that I'm enjoying it. The graphics and sound design are top notch.
Old 11-17-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Zombie mode is pretty sweet, and fun. Just played a single match but at Level 10 things got hectic. Also cool that your XP counts for your levels, etc.
You can gain mulitplayer XP points by playing Nazi Zombie mode? I played it a few times and it didn't seem like I was gaining any XP.
Old 11-17-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by butterbean
Hey guys I have an achievment question. Im playing on hardened and now into germany...any reason why I didnt get an achievment for Stormed Peleliu?

So far I have unlocked:

Purple Heart
No Safe place
Snake in the grass
close shave
carlsons raiders..

seems weird since I beat it on hardened I thought I should unlock it
You need to beat Mission 7 "Relentless" to get this achievement.
Old 11-17-08, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by firteen88
You can gain mulitplayer XP points by playing Nazi Zombie mode? I played it a few times and it didn't seem like I was gaining any XP.
I was mistaken. I saw the Barracks thing pop up after a match and thought I had recieved points. Next time I looked I saw my Pts received was 0.
Old 11-17-08, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by matome
I've encountered two throw the controller against the wall points so far: the third mortar bunker on "Burn em Out" and following the flame tank up the hill. Other than that I'm enjoying it. The graphics and sound design are top notch.
Is the 3rd Mortar Bunker the one where you enter the tunnel which leads to a "room" with a big hole in the roof above? If so, I have never been more frustrated in my life trying to get past this. I finally had to stop trying in hopes that in a few days I'll give it a shot and breeze right through it, which seems to happen on frustrating video game sections.

And I agree on grenades on Veteran. I can't tell you how many times I have died due to simultanious grenade indicators in front of and behind me, leaving me no where to go. Especially sucks when you are in the tunnels/bunkers.

Jamie
Old 11-17-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, that's the one, and I thought the level was gonna be a piece a cake with how relatively easy the first two were to get rid of. What I did with that was make sure you get the smoke grenade replenishments in that little cave to the left at the checkpoint, clear the tunnel and get behind the barrel/crate at the right near the cave entrance and throw a smoke diagonally off the wall so that it lands towards the center of the cave. Once smoked run to the left cave wall to trigger the banzais and enemy grenades, immediately flame them from left to right and beeline behind the barrells at the top right of the cave. Before the smoke dies down throw another smoke to the top left of the cave where those two guys are dug in and another one to the right in front of your barrell. If you have grenades I would chuck one in each direction as well. You have to kill those guys at the left so run up to them, flame, then back to the right side where the tunnel continues. I laid down here and flamed the crap out of that area while crawling ahead (which should still be in smoke).

At this point, your team should finally make it's way up with you and into a small open area of the cave (which once you kill the 3-4 guys here won't respawn) with the ramp up to the third mortar to your right (keep your bearings or you'll run right in front of the ramp and get killed and there's no checkpoint for this IIRC). Throw your last smoke and grenades to the top of the ramp and then flame the bastards.

Took me about two hours to get past that, trying every position I could. Didn't help that a lot of times I would get killed just running into the tunnel from behind right off the bat, where my "team" supposedly was.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.