Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-11, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Testing finished two weeks ago.

I REALLY miss it. Even though all my toons will be wiped when the next round of testing begins. But at least im part of the next round. So all good.

Cant stress enough how much of a must-purchase this is.
Old 09-24-11, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to try my best to ignore any possible beta invites I might get.
Old 09-29-11, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Son of a bitch. I got an email today asking me to rate my experience in the beta so it sounds like I got in but didn't know it
Old 09-29-11, 10:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I got the same email (on two email addresses, somehow). I think it was a glitch. A very cruel glitch.
Old 09-30-11, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Yep, I got the same email. Pretty sure I never got a beta invite.
Old 09-30-11, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Everyone on their mailing list got those emails. Move along, nothing to see here.
Old 09-30-11, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of beta, the next round of testing started up again. Some unfortunate nerfing here and there, but the gfx are notably improved. Brand new opening cinematic. Five minutes of that was more entertaining and involving than all 3 prequels, combined.
Old 09-30-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

"Nerfing"?
Old 09-30-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ Modifying power levels of characters to make them more "even", making the game more balanced. Usually invoked during fanboy moaning when they fix overpowered characters.
Old 09-30-11, 01:35 PM

What they say: "By nerfing this ability, the developer has made this class UNPLAYABLE."

What they mean: "I was playing this class in a very specific way to exploit a loophole in damage/healing/whatever. I don't know how to play it any other way. Waaah!"
Old 09-30-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Well said.
Old 10-26-11, 08:52 AM

So there's only the standard edition, the digital deluxe edition and the collector's edition for this, right? I'm thinking about splurging on the digital deluxe version to get the extra in-game items...
Old 11-17-11, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I pre-ordered my copy through EA's Origin web site and received an email with 2 beta keys for an upcoming weekend beta event, which I'm going to assume is the one on 11/25-28. The key has to be registered by tomorrow, 11/18 @ 11:59pm(CST). I'm willing to give this code to someone here who has not received a key and has not pre-ordered their game through EA Origin or registered for a key on another web site(i.e. IGN or 1UP). First one to PM me gets it.
Old 11-17-11, 11:31 PM

Seems odd to have a beta weekend right after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-18-11, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groucho
Seems odd to have a beta weekend right after Thanksgiving.
Guess that's Bioware for ya. From their twitter....

@SWTOR
The Old Republic
We are targeting November 25-28 for our upcoming #SWTOR Beta Testing Weekend. Get a code via bit.ly/s9h2Fy
Linky
Old 11-18-11, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bioware keeps enticing me with beta weekend invites, but I've yet to actually play in it. I'm anticipating this game so much, I'm purposefully staying away from playing in the beta.
Old 11-18-11, 07:51 AM

I ended up cancelling my pre-order. Much as I want to play this, MMO's and I don't go well together. Best that I stay away from the genre all together.
Old 11-18-11, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
I ended up cancelling my pre-order. Much as I want to play this, MMO's and I don't go well together. Best that I stay away from the genre all together.
I'm still debating canceling mine as well. Between knowing I don't actually have the time to invest in an MMO and the game not looking very good anyways, I know it will be a waste of money.
Old 12-05-11, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't spent much time playing MMO's (and not in years) but I did play Star Wars Galaxies, got in at the beginning. Liked it quite a bit until they started changing the game. I hadn't heard of the Old Republic until recently. How is it going to be different from SWG? The main difference I see at first glance is that there will be tons of Jedi unlike SWG.
Old 12-05-11, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Shady12
I haven't spent much time playing MMO's (and not in years) but I did play Star Wars Galaxies, got in at the beginning. Liked it quite a bit until they started changing the game. I hadn't heard of the Old Republic until recently. How is it going to be different from SWG? The main difference I see at first glance is that there will be tons of Jedi unlike SWG.
The only similarity is that they're both Star Wars games. SWG was a sandbox-style MMO. SWTOR is themepark like World of Warcraft. The timeline is ~3000 years before the movies, which explains the Jedi/Sith. It's being produced by Bioware, which also made the first Knights of the Old Republic game, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age. If you like Bioware games, you'll love this. If you're looking for more of a sandbox/Sims style game, you'll hate it.
Old 12-06-11, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've played WoW and SWG and what's the difference between how you describe them as sandbox/theme park? I guess it's been long enough that I don't remember how different they were. Something about WoW being 'dumbed down' for the masses. I actually have never played a Bioware game. I am just getting back into gaming after a 5-6 year absense. How would Sims be anything like a sandbox style game? Not even the same genre?
Old 12-06-11, 08:33 PM

Themepark MMOs are very linear. You have objective-based quests that usually start in a central hub. You finish all the quests in that hub then move to the next. There isn't a lot of room for diversion from that path, they're typically story based (or in WoW's case, grind-get-to-max-level-fast based), and they tend to breed "cookie cutter" talent builds in the different classes. Think...Mario. In those games, you progressed through levels, getting more powerful abilities as you move up through the stages, until you finally rescue the princess at the end. You have to quest and be a combat class to do anything in themepark games.

Sandbox MMOs have a lot more flexibility. You're free to explore just about anywhere, the game isn't as objective based, and there's typically Sims-type choices like building and decorating housing, and changing the world around you. Some Sandbox MMOs allow entire cities to be destroyed if an opposing faction attacks them. You can play the game 100% as a crafter, entertainer, etc, and don't have to just "kill stuff".

There are positives and negatives to both. I prefer themepark MMOs, and SWTOR is one of the best games I've ever played. I've seen a lot of ex-SWG players on the SWTOR official forums really disappointed with the game, thinking it was going to be SWG2, which is why I gave the warning above.
Old 12-07-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah that's not for me..being on a track defeats the purpose for me. I remember in the PS 1/2 trying to play Final Fantasy games, trying to understand the appeal. It's one cut scene after another clicking some buttons in between.
Old 12-08-11, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got an email yesterday that pre-loads start now, and that the early start was bumped up to December 13th @ 7AM EST.
Old 12-14-11, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So... anyone playing yet? I got in yesterday. Started a Bounty Hunter, having a blast so far.

I'm on Keller's Void (Empire), if anyone wants to look me up, character name is Flashburn.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.