Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Old 12-27-11, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

My favorite storyline has been the Republic Trooper's, followed by the Sith Inquisitor, Sith Warrior, Bounty Hunter, and Jedi Consular. The Jedi Knight one was OK, I'm not a fan of playing IA's in general to find out one or the other, and the Smuggler story was no great shakes.
Old 12-27-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have tried a Jedi Consular so far but may try some others just to get a larger feel.

After playing many MMORPG's over the years, I am going to take my time with this one and savor the content.
Old 12-27-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a great MMO, to be sure. And a definite time-sink.

There's a bit more flexibility than the game's linear structure would have you believe. Once you choose your Advanced Class, you can forget the Side Quests/Heroics and go straight into PvP and level ridiculously fast. By the time you catch up with your Class Quests, you can finish them easily, grab your ship, and add Space Missions as well. Between PvP, Space, and Class Missions, you can sidestep pretty much everything else while still enjoying your basic storyline.
Old 01-13-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

My new computer will be arriving today so I am going to start playing this tonight. Is the game still holding up for you guys?

Originally Posted by cartman
It's really a lot of fun, though I wish there was an easier way of knowing where the flashpoints are. That and actually finding a tank for one...
Which class/classes are tanks? Hopefully not all the lightsaber-wielding ones because I don't really want to do any tanking.
Old 01-13-12, 01:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Still holding up for me, but I'm a casual player who only plays an hour or so each night.

The main classes don't actually have a "role". It's not until you get an advanced class that you actually get into that. And even then, you usually can spec your character into a couple different roles. As such when people are looking for a group, they always give their role and not their class ("Heals LFG").

Some good reading here: http://www.wikiswtor.com/Advanced_Classes
Old 01-13-12, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I've been playing my Sith Inquisitor and Jedi Guardian pretty evenly - they're both around lvl 18 right now.

I think the irony of this game for me is I like that we have a SW MMO, but I'm doing everything solo, so really it would be all the same to me if it wasn't an MMO LOL. I think I've grouped on a Heroic quest once so far. It's easy to level without doing any of the Heroics.
Old 01-14-12, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I've been playing my Sith Inquisitor and Jedi Guardian pretty evenly - they're both around lvl 18 right now.

I think the irony of this game for me is I like that we have a SW MMO, but I'm doing everything solo, so really it would be all the same to me if it wasn't an MMO LOL. I think I've grouped on a Heroic quest once so far. It's easy to level without doing any of the Heroics.
Just call it KOTOR 3 with coop.
Old 01-14-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I gave up already. For me, questing was awesome 1-20, but then turned plain tedious by the time I hit Tatooinne, and I couldn't convince myself to even log in anymore.
Old 01-14-12, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I couldn't give my character a first and last name when I created him but I have seen people running around that have first and last names. Is there a trick to it?
Old 01-14-12, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Last names come when you get to 50 for the first time, and can choose a "legacy" name.

Tattooine is the make-or-break moment for most playing the game. It's a long, slow haul.
Old 01-14-12, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I played for a few weeks and meh, I am not going to play for awhile. Kind of got bored of it. I am not playing any mmo's now though so maybe those are just tiring to me right now.
Old 01-14-12, 05:48 PM

Last name actually comes about ~30 or so.
Old 01-16-12, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While there are some things I really don't like about the game, damn if it isn't incredibly fun and addicting.
Old 01-16-12, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Last names come when you get to 50 for the first time, and can choose a "legacy" name.

Tattooine is the make-or-break moment for most playing the game. It's a long, slow haul.
You get the last names around level 30 or so. Whenever you finish the first chapter.

I had a lot of fun with this game at first but I'm not as into it lately. I'm at level 46 and the exp is going very slowly mostly because of lack of interest on my part. I'm just tired of playing alone at this point and the game is basically a solo game if you're doing the story and planet quests. And all of the quests are basically the same thing so it ends up getting boring once you hit the level I'm at. You only play with others when you do flashpoints or heroics and I can never find anyone to do them with. The ones that I need in my level range, anyway. I don't want to do a low level one just for the sake of playing with other people.

PVP was pretty cool at first too but the way they pair you up against level 50 people just ruins it. I know they're supposed to get their own bracket tomorrow so we'll see how that goes. But it's sad if you're on a team with people who are level 20-49 and four of you pounding on a single level 50 player... and barely doing any damage to them. While they easily take off 25% or more of your health from each attack. And I'm a tank build with good gear so... it shouldn't be like that. It was just a poor decision to not have level brackets earlier. The way you get the best PVP gear is also random and a monotonous.

I'll give the game a chance for a little longer and see if the changes from the new patch help. I'll try to finish my class story which I'm almost done with and get to 50 and see if it's more fun doing things once I'm there. If not, I probably won't be into it until they add new content.
Old 01-16-12, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm hoping the other planets are MUCH bigger than Korriban?
Old 01-16-12, 10:57 PM

Starting planets are the smallest.
Old 01-18-12, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm an idiot.
As soon as I saw that you could reverse engineer items, I decided to try it out.....on my second lightsaber that I had JUST gotten. Well that didn't work out like I had imagined it because it just gave me some crystal and the lightsaber is gone for good, so now I am back to wielding just one. Hopefully that doesn't gimp me too badly.
Old 01-18-12, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

reverse engineer = disenchant (if you ever played wow)
Everything in swtor has a wow equivalent
Old 01-18-12, 08:30 AM

Even though your first lightsaber takes a big effort to get, after that they flow like candy, even dropping off animals and stationary turrets sometimes.
Old 01-18-12, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's good to know. Maybe I will come across another one soon. I did notice you can buy them from vendors but they all seem to be for your main hand and it's an off-hand one I need.
Old 01-18-12, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did my first flashpoint today and I don't really understand the whole process. Do my choices affect the other people in my party? I got kicked from my first group because I was a "fucking moron". I have no idea what I was doing wrong, though.
Old 01-20-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I did my first flashpoint today and I don't really understand the whole process.
Every group member in a flashpoint selects the conversation reply that they want for their character. Then the game performs a conversation roll (that's the number you see next to each group member's icon in the bottom left) and the member with the highest number has his/her conversation choice played out in the cutscene. This is the social mini-game and earns you social experience.

Do my choices affect the other people in my party? I got kicked from my first group because I was a "fucking moron". I have no idea what I was doing wrong, though.
Only if the majority of the group wanted to do one thing and your conversation choice did the opposite AND you won the roll thus driving the cutscene and game forward. For example, a choice you may be presented with is to let someone live or die. If the majority of the group wanted that person to live and you chose that person to die AND won the roll, then that person would die in the flashpoint.

Note though that you are still awarded light or darkside points even if your choice wasn't the winning roll.
Old 01-20-12, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the explanation Gooter. I was wondering what the numbers were.
Old 01-20-12, 11:28 PM

I did my first flashpoint today and I don't really understand the whole process. Do my choices affect the other people in my party? I got kicked from my first group because I was a "fucking moron". I have no idea what I was doing wrong, though.
When you group with people in Flashpoints and Heroic quests, at least in the beginning, I'd suggest telling the other people in your group that you're new to MMOs and would like to learn. I'd imagine what you were doing wrong to solicit a response like that was possibly rolling need on gear that wasn't appropriate for your class, rushing in to attack mobs before the tank and/or the healer was ready, standing in AOE damage from a boss, or even just taking a long time to do things. I think people who have been playing games like WoW for years and years forget what it's like to be new, but people are a heck of a lot more understanding of mistakes when you let them know what's going on before you start.
Old 01-21-12, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the tips. I'm not knew to MMO's, just to this particular one. Though it is quite to what I am used to.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.