DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/530071-official-nintendo-ds-thread-viii-65-million-strong-growing.html)

Michael Corvin 09-21-09 07:47 PM

Re: Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 9723036)
So the question becomes : Do you buy the (presumably) cheaper and more convenient DSiWare versions or the (presumably) more advanced DS versions?

Neither. You get the iPhone versions which can be found on sale for $.99 cents.

PerryD 09-21-09 09:05 PM

Peggle came with both Peggle and Peggle Nights. It would be nice if Bejeweled Twist included Bejeweled 2, and Bookworm included Bookworm Adventures.

PixyJunket 09-22-09 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by PerryD (Post 9723249)
Peggle came with both Peggle and Peggle Nights. It would be nice if Bejeweled Twist included Bejeweled 2, and Bookworm included Bookworm Adventures.

Indeed, it might be good to wait for more details.

shumway 09-22-09 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by darkside (Post 9719903)
I just beat DQ V yesterday and I loved the game. It is challenging VIII for my favorite DQ game. Can not wait for VI. Still haven't played IV (my son has had that one in his DS for months) and I never have played VII though I have owned it since the day it came out in the US. Played all the rest though and it is one of my favorite series.

VII has WAY WAY WAY too much backtracking in it. I'm not the speediest RPGer, but, I am known to have average-to-good finishing times and I still have a save with 145 hours, and that is at the end, probably didn't finish all the sidequests either. It tended to get a little dull and repetitive to me, which is rare for RPGs.

PixyJunket 09-22-09 12:58 PM

VII is the only Dragon Quest game I don't care for.. possibly including spin-offs.

It's just painfully arduous.

dino88 09-28-09 12:00 AM

Hi guys, I have a 5-year-old nephew (a very bright 5, let's say he's 7) who wants a DSi. I don't really know the difference between the two, besides around $40. Can anyone that owns both let me know if my nephew would really use the extra features on the DSi vs. DS Lite?

And if you could, maybe suggest a few games he might enjoy. Some games he likes: Lego Star Wars, Rayman Raving Rabbids, LittleBigPlanet.

Thanks

Brent L 09-28-09 12:13 AM

Especially for a five year old, I'm sure he would get tons of fun out of just the camera and audio features that are included. I'm about to go to bed, but you pretty much know that there are a ton of games for the DS that would be just the something he would love to play.

I think it's more than worth the extra money for a DSi, even for a five year old.

dino88 09-28-09 12:37 AM

Thanks Brent...

Decker 09-28-09 01:05 AM

I have to disagree. My daughter plays with the camera occasionally, but mostly she wants to play the games and since you can do that on the basic model (and since they've gone for as little as $99, you'd probably be fine with that one. The camera is more of a novelty than anything.

PixyJunket 09-28-09 07:46 AM

Dragon Quest Wars releases on DSiWare today.

fujishig 09-28-09 12:55 PM

So finally upgraded to a router with WPA instead of crappy WEP. The DS still doesn't support WPA, but the DSi does, is that correct?

pinata242 09-28-09 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 9736849)
So finally upgraded to a router with WPA instead of crappy WEP. The DS still doesn't support WPA, but the DSi does, is that correct?

Yes.

PixyJunket 09-28-09 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 9736849)

Yes, DSi apps and such work great over WPA but previous games using the old Wi-Fi connection method are still tied to it, regardless. Actually, I don't quite know if any new games have WPA Wi-Fi yet, I'm kind of hoping Space Invaders Extreme 2 does.

pinata242 09-28-09 01:08 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa... DS games can't use WPA on the DSi?

PixyJunket 09-28-09 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 9736880)
Whoa, whoa, whoa... DS games can't use WPA on the DSi?

Older ones, no. They still have the old Wi-Fi code on the carts.

pinata242 09-28-09 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket (Post 9736903)
Older ones, no. They still have the old Wi-Fi code on the carts.

God forbid that actually be an API call to the hardware :rolleyes:

fujishig 09-28-09 02:38 PM

hmm... ok, now I'm glad I asked. It's not like I go online a lot with my DS anyway, but good to know.

Raul3 09-28-09 03:36 PM

That sounds really dumb. (Old games not "supporting" WPA)

PixyJunket 09-29-09 08:36 AM

Shiren the Wanderer 4 was announced for the DS this week in Japan.

I'll have impressions of DQ Wars in a little but here, I played it for about ten minutes last night (as I spent almost the whole night playing Metroid Prime 2) and it seems like it could be pretty awesome. I don't like grid-based strategy RPGs for their cumbersome micro-management but this one looks to play pretty simple, like a board and card game.

Brent L 09-29-09 09:56 PM

This is pretty cool...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NXu-_mTFZf8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NXu-_mTFZf8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

PixyJunket 09-30-09 09:46 AM

Yeah, the KORG DS-10 is pretty cool though I find LSDJ a far greater tool for song creation due to the extremely limited number of phrases available on the DS-10. The KORG is stronger as a live instrument, in my opinion. I'm still going to pick up DS-10 Plus at some point but probably for fun, I pretty much plan on sticking with LSDJ for now (hopefully you'll all get to see something pretty cool from me in this regard in a couple of weeks).

ANYWAY, did anybody else get Dragon Quest Wars and want to duel?

I'll hop online when I get home tonight and get my friend code for it.

pinata242 09-30-09 12:55 PM

To no one's surprise, Nintendo of Australia confirms that DSiware purchases are tied to the system and not a person. Therefore the only chance you have to move them is to have Nintendo do it for you, but probably not unless you're doing it under warranty and not just an upgrade/color change. No idea what that'll cost when the warranties expire like with the Wii.

http://www.vg247.com/2009/09/30/dsiw...-to-a-new-dsi/

Chris_D 09-30-09 03:36 PM

That sucks although considering how crap dsiware has been, I'm unlikely to be bothered by it. Still have my original 10 dollars.

slop101 09-30-09 04:03 PM

That's pretty dumb of Nintendo, since a big chuck of GB/DS console sales have been from people buying multiple versions for tiny upgrades, or even in some instances, different colors just to accessorize. If all your games are tied to a single system, no one will want to buy another DSi.

To give you an idea, I've bought:
2 gameboys
1 gameboy color
3 gameboy advance
3 gameboy DS

And I don't even consider myself a huge portable gamer, but I could at least play all my old game on the newer system, now, fuck it.

Baron Of Hell 10-17-09 10:48 AM

Anyone playing Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story? if so how you like it.