DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/530071-official-nintendo-ds-thread-viii-65-million-strong-growing.html)

LosingMyMind 12-09-10 07:10 PM

Re: Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing

Originally Posted by darkside (Post 10535769)
I think it is that big because it comes with a giant book that is required to play the game. They were saying on one of the 1up podcasts that the book may kill the chances for a US release.

That's BS. Even if they need to cut costs for the US release, there's no reason the book couldn't be included within the game itself. It wouldn't be as cool, but there's no reason the book should hinder the release.

fumanstan 01-19-11 10:56 AM

3DS on March 27th. $249.

Too expensive for me.

PerryD 01-19-11 01:53 PM

Thanks, I just put in a pre-order to be safe for now. When the DSi came out, the best deal was at Gamerush (I think) where I was able to trade in a glitchy DS and get $100 credit towards the DSi, but I'm not sure if I will be willing to trade in my DSi.

fujishig 01-19-11 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind (Post 10536145)
That's BS. Even if they need to cut costs for the US release, there's no reason the book couldn't be included within the game itself. It wouldn't be as cool, but there's no reason the book should hinder the release.

I don't quite understand what you're saying. Are you saying they should release it without the book (or sell the book separately) event though the book is apparently crucial to the game? Or that they should take the plunge, spend money translating and publishing the book and come out with a DS game that won't fit on a normal shelf and commands a premium in the hopes that it becomes a hit?

I hope they do the latter, but I understand the risks involved there...

LosingMyMind 01-19-11 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 10598268)
I don't quite understand what you're saying. Are you saying they should release it without the book (or sell the book separately) event though the book is apparently crucial to the game? Or that they should take the plunge, spend money translating and publishing the book and come out with a DS game that won't fit on a normal shelf and commands a premium in the hopes that it becomes a hit?

I hope they do the latter, but I understand the risks involved there...

The contents of the book could be contained within the game card.

Quake1028 01-22-11 05:10 PM

Anyone pick up Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective? I got it last week but waiting for my DSi XL to arrive on Monday to start. Impressions all over are hugely positive.

Michael Corvin 01-22-11 07:56 PM

Noob question (sorry), is there a way to set a daily time limit on how much your child plays? I could have sworn that was a feature, but I can't find a setting if there is one.

yeah, yeah, just take it away... but my girl grabs the DS at random times without my knowledge to squeeze in a few minutes here and there. She takes after her old man. :lol:

xmiyux 01-22-11 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 10602854)
Noob question (sorry), is there a way to set a daily time limit on how much your child plays? I could have sworn that was a feature, but I can't find a setting if there is one.

yeah, yeah, just take it away... but my girl grabs the DS at random times without my knowledge to squeeze in a few minutes here and there. She takes after her old man. :lol:

Not on the DS. :(

A google search made it sound like the DSi might have that functionality (but I don't own one to check) but the regular DS doesn't.

Just get her playing the 360, it has those controls. ;)

Quack 01-22-11 08:10 PM

Dragon Quest VI out on Feb. 14th. Looking forward to finally getting this. :up:

pinata242 01-22-11 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Quack (Post 10602871)

I feel obligated to, but I know I won't finish it like V and IX before it.

pinata242 01-22-11 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 10602854)

Hide the charger.

Michael Corvin 01-23-11 07:33 AM

Okay. It's a DSi and I'm not seeing anything on the system or finding anything in Google. I guess I assumed that was a feature. :sad: It should be.

I did see that you can buy a GBA cart that does this exact thing, but alas, no GBA slot on the DSi.

RichC2 01-25-11 09:51 AM

Alright I just have to say --

Videogame companies need to stop with the forced tutorials and unskippable cinematics/text.

I started playing 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors and lost my save data, restarted and had to wait a good 25 minutes before I was able to play the first number puzzle again. Similarly it felt like an hour of forced tutorial on Ghost Trick.

Do they not realize how much this hurts replay in games? Hell, it hurts bad enough the first time out.

fujishig 01-25-11 01:32 PM

Wait, how'd you lose your save data? Aren't you worried it'll get lost again?

I agree with the forced tutorials and unskippable cinematics (which aren't such a problem in DS games, but still)

RichC2 01-25-11 03:00 PM

I guess it doesn't have auto-save, I had it closed, battery died so no save moreso than lost save.

cinematics aren't an issue but when you can't speed up how quickly text comes on the screen it gets a bit old.

Quack 01-26-11 07:32 PM

Dragon Quest IV only $16.70 on Amazon. :up:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

darkside 01-27-11 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Quack (Post 10602871)

Have mine preordered at GameStop to get the slime plush.

Just wanted to comment on some good recent games I have played through. I played through Again which got terrible reviews, but which I honestly enjoyed. It is $15 now and is a lengthy adventure with a cheesy but interesting story. I felt it was a much better game than its reviews and recommend it. It plays a lot like Cing's other games and the going back in time to match things up aspect that is new works pretty well and makes for some interesting puzzles.

I enjoyed Again so much I borrowed an imported copy of Cing's final game Last Window which is the sequel to Hotel Dusk and is fantastic in my opinion. This game not getting a US release is a crime and I feel it well worth the 25 pounds UK cost to import and may buy a copy for myself to play through again.

One last game on the adventure front is Sherlock Holmes and the Mystery of Osborne House. Thankfully I borrowed this from a friend. It is a decent game and kind of a Professor Layton ripoff. The issue is it is a $30 game and lasts 3 hours total. The puzzles are also no where near Layton quality and most are very easy. This is another case of a game that would be a dollar on the iPhone costing $30 on the DS. Fun while it lasts, but it should have been at most a $5 DSi download.

I'm starting Golden Sun now and the first few hours are good, but the dialog is a major overload. Why too much story in the beginning of the game.

I'm also looking forward to the next Pokemon and now that I finally caught them all after years and years and years of trying I guess it is time to catch all the new ones. BTW, thanks to the Gamestop employee who will remain nameless for messing with time so I could get the final one I needed early from the Gamestop promotion.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4265100_n.jpg

fujishig 01-27-11 07:43 PM

I am still stuck on (but enjoying) Etrian Odyssey III. I don't think that game has left my DS since I first popped it in. And my backlog of DS RPGs continues to pile up in the meantime.

RichC2 01-30-11 02:23 PM

Having played through a good bit of 999 now, I have to say I wish the game had a higher budget.

Most of the game is spent reading (thus far) and the puzzles aren't the most complex, but it's an oddly compelling game. For those that haven't seen anything about it, it's an M-rated puzzle game about 9 individuals that wake up on a sinking ship and have 9 hours to escape. I will say it is odd reading the words "Fuck" and "[sic]Goddamnit" over and over again, I'm used to hearing it in games, not reading it. The translation is fairly literal, and littered with misspellings and improper grammar, but it's usually not distracting just a little funny.

Second, if this had a higher budget, this would flat out be the Saw game that never was.

Overall though, it's definitely a different game, if it had a higher budget and been more akin to Hotel Dusk (which had similar amounts of reading but felt more interactive) I could see it really taking off

Quake1028 01-30-11 06:21 PM

My copy is arriving from Amazon on Wednesday. I have to finish off Ghost Trick by then, which is really, really fun.

themaskedvirgin 01-31-11 06:14 AM

im having a hard time finding dragon quest 5....its out of print?

LorenzoL 01-31-11 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by themaskedvirgin (Post 10616064)
im having a hard time finding dragon quest 5....its out of print?

As indicated on it's thread, V had a much smaller print run than IV so if you can find the game without it's ridiculous online auction prices, buy it right away.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-...endo-ds-3.html

LosingMyMind 01-31-11 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by darkside (Post 10611436)
I enjoyed Again so much I borrowed an imported copy of Cing's final game Last Window which is the sequel to Hotel Dusk and is fantastic in my opinion. This game not getting a US release is a crime and I feel it well worth the 25 pounds UK cost to import and may buy a copy for myself to play through again.

That won't play on an American DS, correct?

shumway 01-31-11 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind (Post 10616465)
That won't play on an American DS, correct?

I'm about 99% certain there is no region coding/lockout on either the DS or the PSP.

RichC2 01-31-11 12:39 PM

I hate it when a company (Cing) tries something different and it bites them in the ass :(