DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/530071-official-nintendo-ds-thread-viii-65-million-strong-growing.html)

Michael Corvin 03-22-11 08:27 AM

Re: Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing

Originally Posted by manicsounds (Post 10690138)

Yeah, it'd be nice if Capcom would actually ship mine.

Supermallet 03-22-11 01:17 PM

I'm playing Okamiden now. It's fun, but at a lot of points feels like a retread, and there are still long blocks of unskippable text. Well, that's not true. You can skip them, but then you'll have no clue what you're meant to do next.

manicsounds 03-22-11 06:50 PM

It was a great game, but the thing I really didn't like was that there was no replayability.

Once you beat the game, that's it. Your save resets to the start of the game. If you wanted to go back and get treasures you missed, too bad. You're back at the start.

Although you do have your health, and a few other stats available, but it made me pretty frustrated there...

darkside 04-15-11 10:32 PM

I'm catching up on all the great DS games that came out the past couple of months right now. There was really a lot of great stuff released for the DS. I highly recommend grabbing Monster Tale while it is $23.99 at Amazon for their Easter sale. I'm in love with this game right now. It is a really nice mix of Super Metroid gameplay mixed with a Shantae art style. You also get a pinch of Pokemon as you have to raise and level your monster to help you while you are fighting it out with the enemies. You have to balance having him in combat and sending him to the bottom screen to level up.

I also really enjoyed Ghost Trick Phantom Detective and 999. Still have to start Okamiden and Radiant Historia and finish up Pokemon Black.

All these great DS titles have helped me get over the fact I passed on the 3DS. It will be some time before the 3DS has games of this quality. The only bad news is the fact that Ace Attorney Investigation 2 is not coming to the US. I really hope Capcom reconsiders, but this late in the DS life it may be too much to ask for localization for a game that will probably only sell 20,000 copies.

Decker 04-16-11 12:22 AM

I hadn't used my DSi in months -- probably not since the week that Super Scribblenauts came out last year. I turned it on today and not only did the battery still work, it showed a full charge. If I ignore my PSP for a couple of weeks, it's totally dead and I have to reset the time. They have the best battery in the world in that thing. Guess it's a different one in the 3DS.

Chris_D 04-16-11 06:48 AM

Yup, I will wait for at least the 3DSi :).

Obi-Wanma 04-16-11 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_D (Post 10727773)
Yup, I will wait for at least the 3DSi :).

And I'm waiting for the 3DSi XL ;)

darkside 04-17-11 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 10727903)
And I'm waiting for the 3DSi XL ;)

:lol:

I really love my XL so I wouldn't mind holding out for a giant version of the 3DS, but its probably many years off if they even try that kind of thing again.

Just wanted to update that GameStop has already price dropped Monster Tale to $20. Poor game probably isn't going to sell even 10,000 copies and its too bad because its really a great piece of software.

Edit: I just finished up Monster Tale today and loved it enough to grind through to 100% completion. Definitely a must buy DS games. Need to finish up Ghost Trick now so I can get further into Radiant Historia and Okamiden.

UncleGramps 10-18-11 11:31 AM

Anyone else having trouble finding Professor Layton and the Last Specter? I checked a few stores this morning and came up empty handed. Gamestop's website shows one nearby store having it stock - I guess I'll call and see if that's accurate.

twikoff 12-05-11 03:21 PM

so.. what 3ds game(s) would you recommend for a 6 year old girl?

Liver&Onions 12-05-11 03:29 PM

Well, I likely wouldn't recommend the 3D be on....but:
Mario 3d land

pinata242 12-05-11 03:34 PM

I'm legally restrained from answering your question. Sorry.

Decker 12-05-11 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by twikoff (Post 11031181)
so.. what 3ds game(s) would you recommend for a 6 year old girl?

Mario Kart 7 came out yesterday and comes with a $15 gaming coupon at Kmart, making it a net cost of $25 if you can use that coupon on something else. Also Nintendogs + cats is a nice "game" to pick up if she doesn't have the previous Nintendogs DS game.

As far as that 3D warning, I've searched the literature and spoken to an ophthalmologist. Neither American Academy of Pediatrics or the American Academy of Ophthalmology is telling parents that their children should completely avoid viewing things in 3D mode. That was strictly Nintendo being proactive and covering their rear -- and their recommendation was for children under 6. I wouldn't recommend young children engage in long video game play sessions in either 2D or 3D, but best as I can ascertain, you kids' eyes will not explode even if they play these games in 3D sometimes.

Wolf359 05-10-12 03:07 PM

So the price of the DSI and the DSI XL is happening this month and I think I'll finally take the plunge.

Playing the Telltale Walking Dead game has me hungry for games like this. Are there any for DS? Adventure games, point and click, or story driven type games is mainly what I'd like.

News of price drop.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/10/n...e-drop-may-20/

Edison 05-10-12 04:25 PM

Walmart dropped the DSi XL to $129.96 a couple weeks ago, didn't see that the DSi had dropped yet though.

There is a pretty good list at http://www.listal.com/list/mystery-games-nintendo-ds that includes point & click, mystery games.

shumway 05-10-12 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf359 (Post 11227025)
So the price of the DSI and the DSI XL is happening this month and I think I'll finally take the plunge.

Playing the Telltale Walking Dead game has me hungry for games like this. Are there any for DS? Adventure games, point and click, or story driven type games is mainly what I'd like.

I think you might like Hotel Dusk. Also, much older but Trace Memory is of that ilk as well.

Decker 05-10-12 04:39 PM

9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors. It's amazing.

Wolf359 05-11-12 08:44 AM

Thanks, I'll check all of these out!

Feeling really nostalgic for games like Shadowgate, Deja Vu, and Unvinvited.

GatorDeb 09-01-13 02:32 AM

Anyone still playing this? I still use it for Picross 3D and crosswords and Color Cross.

XavierMike 09-01-13 08:02 AM

I just started Project X Zone. It seems bananas story wize, but I like the mechanics.