DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/530071-official-nintendo-ds-thread-viii-65-million-strong-growing.html)

orangecrush 10-30-09 07:41 AM

Re: Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd (Post 9804624)
I'll always prefer a bigger screen but would blowing up the DS games on a bigger screen make them look shittier?

Maybe. Though I thought most GBA games I played on my TV through the GBA player looked pretty good. So, blowing up the image a little may not make that much difference.

PixyJunket 10-30-09 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd (Post 9804624)
I'll always prefer a bigger screen but would blowing up the DS games on a bigger screen make them look shittier?

Huh? That doesn't even make sense. Do Xbox game look shittier on a 60" screen than on a 32"? The pixel resolution of the DS is comparable to an SNES or PS1 and I don't think people were worried about how they looked on screens larger than 3".

WMAangel 10-30-09 08:43 AM

The website Nintendo World Report ran a comparison of what the new screen size would look like compared to the older models, as they were also complaining about how the graphics would look more pixelated and antiquated when enlarged:

I only "spoilered" it due to size (since some people don't like large graphics in threads)...

PixyJunket 10-30-09 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by WMAangel (Post 9805389)
they were also complaining about how the graphics would look more pixelated and antiquated when enlarged

Originally Posted by PixyJunket (Post 9805348)
The pixel resolution of the DS is comparable to an SNES or PS1.

Chris_D 10-30-09 09:08 AM

I agree with Pixy, the graphics may look chunkier (individual pixels will be bigger) but it will look fine. Of course, the DSi screen is perfectly adequate for picking out individual pixels so I still don't see the benefit. I think the extra weight would even give me wrist strain over long periods.

steebo777 10-30-09 10:46 AM

Pass on the DSi Chunky. I am fine with my cobalt/black DSLite.

darkside 11-01-09 09:37 AM

GameStop dropped the prices on several titles. Most not very good, but I did grab Treasure World which is now $10 new. I wanted Flash Focus which is now $5 new, but it was sold out at the two stores I checked. They also have Rhapsody down to $10 now.

fujishig 11-01-09 11:46 AM

For the DSI chunky... is there a large hole in the system to put that huge stylus? I kinda doubt it.

darqleo 11-01-09 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_D (Post 9803325)
That thing is huge. Can't imagine the average user here being all that interested in it.

I have big hands, so I'm very interested in it! Plus, I don't mind having a bigger screen, too. It's not like I carried around my DS in my pocket, I had a case for it and then that was in my book bag.

darkside 11-01-09 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 9809000)
For the DSI chunky... is there a large hole in the system to put that huge stylus? I kinda doubt it.

No, it has a regular stylus as well. The chunky one I think was described as the leave at home stylus.

grenier 11-05-09 06:24 PM

I didn't read through this whole massive thread, so I might have missed if this has been addressed before: has anyone had their DSLite's hinge snap? I've had my system for almost a year, I've been gentle on it, but today I opened it up and the right side hinge cracked. It's going to be sent back for repair next week but I was wondering if anyone had any experience sending their DS back?

Baron Of Hell 11-05-09 06:51 PM

Not me but I know it has happen before. I don't think it is a rare thing.

eatntae 11-05-09 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by grenier (Post 9819070)
I didn't read through this whole massive thread, so I might have missed if this has been addressed before: has anyone had their DSLite's hinge snap? I've had my system for almost a year, I've been gentle on it, but today I opened it up and the right side hinge cracked. It's going to be sent back for repair next week but I was wondering if anyone had any experience sending their DS back?

I've had to send my back for the same reason. It was a few years back, so I don't remember the details, but it was pretty easy, and I don't remember the turnaround time being too long.

grenier 11-05-09 09:21 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'm hoping it doesn't take too long to get it back.

bigsoos 12-02-09 01:20 AM

Anyone try out Modern Warfare Mobilized yet?

Superboy 12-10-09 06:17 AM

I realize why there are so many tepid reviews for Spirit Tracks: Nintendo games are like heroin. The next shot always feels a little bit less satisfying. Your only choice is to crank up your dose.

chess 12-10-09 09:51 PM

Henry Hatsworth might just be the perfect DS game.

It makes brilliant use of the dual screens, has great variety, is fairly challenging and has some pretty funny/likable characters. I even thought the boss fights were great.

If you like platformers and/or Puzzle League at all, it's an absolute must-buy.

Superboy 12-11-09 06:58 AM

I love that game, but it starts getting very repetitive.

Michael Corvin 12-11-09 08:04 AM

I loved that game too until I hit the 55% complete mark. I'm not one to shirk off a challenge, but damn that game ramps it up to almost a Mega Man 9 level of difficulty.

darkside 12-11-09 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 9883355)
I loved that game too until I hit the 55% complete mark. I'm not one to shirk off a challenge, but damn that game ramps it up to almost a Mega Man 9 level of difficulty.

I think that is about the spot I had to tap out on it. Cool game concept, but the difficulty curve is brutal.

Decker 12-11-09 09:19 AM

I agree. It becomes too hard to be fun. You'd think EA of all companies would know better than to make an apparently kid-friendly game for the DS with a crippling difficulty level.

I just had a patient from Japan in my office yesterday. She was playing a Japanese DSi that was green -- not quite the Spring Bundle DS lite green, but not far off. It looked VERY nice. :up:

The picture doesn't really do it justice, but here it is:
http://latestonnintendo.files.wordpr...pg?w=510&h=275

PixyJunket 12-11-09 09:38 AM

That's the DSi a friend of mine is waiting for to come out here before he gets one.

Spoiler:
I wish I had waited for the pink one, argh.

slop101 12-11-09 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 9883477)
I agree. It becomes too hard to be fun. You'd think EA of all companies would know better than to make an apparently kid-friendly game for the DS with a crippling difficulty level.

There's a (lame) reason for that. I forgot where I read it, but I guess the developer didn't have time, or weren't allowed to run the second half of the game through the same quality-assurance that they did for the first half, so they weren't able to properly balance the second half of the game like they did the first half. It wasn't supposed to be that hard.

Decker 12-11-09 06:11 PM

Head's Up : Target will be selling over 20 new DS games for $25 starting Sunday including the new Zelda game! I'm totally down for that one.

Superboy 12-24-09 02:50 PM

Time for me to get a DSi.

http://ds.gamespy.com/nintendo-dsi/d...1057159p1.html

Retro love, just like Mega Man 9.

http://dsmedia.gamespy.com/ds/image/...38459_640w.jpg

http://dsmedia.gamespy.com/ds/image/...45428_640w.jpg

You have to blow into the microphone like it's an NES game :lol: