DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/530071-official-nintendo-ds-thread-viii-65-million-strong-growing.html)

slop101 10-17-09 01:59 PM

Re: Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell (Post 9779216)
Anyone playing Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story? if so how you like it.

It's fantastic! Buy with confidence.

steebo777 10-19-09 08:51 AM

I bought it, just haven't had time to play it yet.

PixyJunket 10-21-09 08:08 AM

I think Mario & Luigi 3 will be one of my Christmas wishes, along with Zelda: Soul Train.

Decker 10-21-09 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 9779562)
It's fantastic! Buy with confidence.

Agreed. It's my favorite DS game since New SMB.

PixyJunket 10-27-09 09:38 AM

So, Space Invaders Extreme 2 came out last week and while I figured it would basically be a little more of the first game, HOLY SHIT did they up the ante so much. The game rocks HARD. The bonus rounds are now played on the top screen while the normal levels STILL plays on the bottom screen. The new fever mode is intense and then the concept for bingo fever is greatness.

I just ran through the game's easy course and managed to get a two line bingo fever which gave me SIX MILLION for the stage.

So awesome.

slop101 10-27-09 10:32 AM

^ I agree SIE2 is pretty awesome and way better than the first one, which was pretty boss to begin with.

Although Pixy forgot to mention that it's only $20. But with people bitching about Trine being $20, this might not mean much...

Decker 10-27-09 10:37 AM

Pixy, do you play with the paddle peripheral? I guess that won't work on the DSi, right? Anyway, I hear that's the only way to go for the original.

PixyJunket 10-27-09 10:40 AM

I never got a paddle and yes, it wouldn't work on the DSi anyway.

I wouldn't imagine it would add much, as opposed to Arkanoid, where it fits more naturally.

darkside 10-27-09 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 9799482)
Pixy, do you play with the paddle peripheral? I guess that won't work on the DSi, right? Anyway, I hear that's the only way to go for the original.

It is very playable either way, but I prefer the paddle. I will be borrowing my wife's DS to play this one since I have a DSi now.

XavierMike 10-28-09 09:37 AM

I have been thinking of getting a DSi late;y, but I'm hoping they release the larger screen version here.

PixyJunket 10-28-09 09:50 AM

Wow, a review of Shiren the Wanderer now?

Man, I hope Atlus will release Shiren DS2 or at least 4 since they are doing 3.

Anyway, the developer is Chunsoft if the reviewer wants to add that.

PixyJunket 10-29-09 08:56 AM

So Nintendo has announced an alternate DSi model in Japan called DSi LL, it's got a more rounded design, a 4" screen and a very think stylus. The general consensus is that it's marketed towards the older generation (the large screens enhance readability, etc.). There's no other new features or changes apparently.

http://i34.tinypic.com/30kavyq.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/k3nji8.png

Chris_D 10-29-09 09:09 AM

That thing is huge. Can't imagine the average user here being all that interested in it.

PixyJunket 10-29-09 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_D (Post 9803325)
That thing is huge. Can't imagine the average user here being all that interested in it.

I'd almost wager it could end up be a Japanese exclusive thing.

Chris_D 10-29-09 09:19 AM

Well, it's perfect for older people (50+) and the visually impaired. Totally respect Nintendo for providing the option to those who need it. Just that I've seen a surprising amount of excitement around the nets from gamers about this new DSi and can't understand why. The current DSi screen is perfectly big enough for my needs.

PixyJunket 10-29-09 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_D (Post 9803351)
Well, it's perfect for older people (50+) and the visually impaired. Totally respect Nintendo for providing the option to those who need it. Just that I've seen a surprising amount of excitement around the nets from gamers about this new DSi and can't understand why. The current DSi screen is perfectly big enough for my needs.

Well I've seen people hyping up the PSPgo as the second coming of Christ, so it's really not too surprising to hear that some people are excited about this. But I'll agree, I love my DSi and enjoy the slight increase in size from the Lite and I love DSiWare (hell, I've even used the photo upload to Facebook option on it) but I wouldn't upgrade again for a bigger screen.

slop101 10-29-09 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket (Post 9803400)
Well I've seen people hyping up the PSPgo as the second coming of Christ...

Bullshit. That is unless you're talking about Sony employees.

Michael Corvin 10-29-09 11:02 AM

I skipped the DSi so this news is interesting, but I'm still not sure I need to upgrade* until a true successor hits.

*again since I went from a launch DS to the Cobalt/Black.

JB7 10-29-09 11:34 AM

Did I miss the DS sales? I wanted to pick one up for a christmas gift like I did with GameBoy Advance when DS came out.

tanman 10-29-09 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_D (Post 9803325)

Actually I'm kind of interested in it depending on what the price is going to be (my guess $200). I don't really game on the go very much as such would gladly sacrifice some portability for a nice large screen like that. I haven't upgraded my DS at all, still playing on the phat. I don't see why a nice large screen has to be only for old people. And I don't see why they wouldn't release it here. I'm sure it would sell like hotcakes.

mrpayroll 10-29-09 12:08 PM

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...n-dsi-hardware

Nintendo confirms new big screen DSi console

Nintendo has confirmed it is to release a new version of the DSi with larger screens in Japan on November 21.

Rumoured earlier in the week, the company officially announced the console at a press event held in Tokyo.

The console will feature two 4.2 inch screens – a 93 per cent increase on the screen size of the DS Lite - reports Kotaku.

It will be targeted at gamers who want to use their console for browsing the internet and display reading intensive software in a bigger font and retail at JPY 20,000 (USD 220), compared to the current DSi's price of JPY 18,900 (USD 208).

The DSi LL will come bundled with two touch pens and three pre-installed DSi Ware titles – two brain training games and the DS Easy Dictionary. It will come in dark brown, wine red and natural white colours.

Nintendo has confirmed the console will launch in Europe during the first quarter of 2010.
So, it will probably come out in the U.S. also.

Chris

PerryD 10-29-09 02:00 PM

They'd have room for the GBA slot with the larger unit.

The Bus 10-29-09 02:12 PM

Wish it was GBA compatible but I honestly only have like 2 GBA games and one or two games that support rumble.

The cool thing about it is that it brings battery life back to near DS Lite levels.

darkside 10-29-09 03:56 PM

Interesting idea, but the screen is the same resolution and I don't want my DS any bigger. Not to mention I can't move all my DSi ware even if I wanted a new handheld.

Spiderbite 10-29-09 07:44 PM

I'll always prefer a bigger screen but would blowing up the DS games on a bigger screen make them look shittier?