Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Resident Evil 5

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Resident Evil 5

The thing that had me confused: the PS3 version of the demo is exactly the same as the 360, yet twice the download size (942mb)
Old 02-02-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I played the other level and it was pretty fun up till I got killed by the chainsaw.
Old 02-02-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looking forward to trying out the PSN demo ... although all the talk of the controls sucking has me worried. From the videos of the demo on Youtube though, it still looks plenty fast-paced and fun.

Last edited by Yavin; 02-02-09 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-02-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Chew
The thing that had me confused: the PS3 version of the demo is exactly the same as the 360, yet twice the download size (942mb)
FWIW, the PS3 version will also have a mandatory 5gig install.
Old 02-02-09, 03:33 PM
Cool New Member

It could be the great game if this controls were alright.
Old 02-02-09, 03:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I've already tried the demo on 360, I may also try on PS3 to see if the controls are significantly better.
Old 02-02-09, 03:47 PM

I loved RE4, but I'm not sure I'm up for getting butchered with a chainsaw by a mask wearing freak anymore. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Old 02-02-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I knew there'd be a lot of traffic on PSN downloading the RE5 demo, but damn the demo download is progressing slow ... I'm getting like 1% completion per minute
Old 02-02-09, 08:07 PM
Banned

I pre-ordered the CE, can't wait to run through this on co-op.
Old 02-02-09, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just finished playing the demo for nearly 45 minutes ... the controls take a bit of getting used to but I'm starting to get the hang of it. I think the forced control scheme for the demo was a mix of control schemes B and C ... I think from what I've read elsewhere control scheme D might probably be better.

The mandatory co-op with the AI partner can be a pain sometimes, especially when being overwhelmed by a swarm of Majini and I have to worry about not letting Sheva die as well. Though I guess the trade-off there is having her give me a health boost when I'm injured and helping to punch off a Majini or two off my back. One thing that annoyed me though was that I landed a few headshots but only once did a headshot result in an exploding Majini head ... I expected headshots to do more damage most of the time ... All in all, looking forward to giving the demo another play. I'll still probably pick up the game on release day, as I traded in $30 of games to EB last week for enough credit to pick this up.

Last edited by Yavin; 02-03-09 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-02-09, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the whole talk about the controls being a pain was just a lot of hot air...boy was I wrong! Still, I'm confident I can get used to the controls, but that whole "briefcase in realtime" business is just downright cumbersome...
Old 02-03-09, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Yavin
Just finished playing the demo for nearly 45 minutes ... the controls take a bit of getting used to but I'm starting to get the hang of it. I think the forced control scheme for the demo was a mix of control schemes B and C ... I think from what I've read elsewhere control scheme D might probably be better.
You can't change it under options? On the PS3 version of the demo it defaults to D, but you can choose from the four control schemes. You can also change the aiming speed, which made a huge difference for me.

The mandatory co-op with the AI partner can be a pain sometimes, especially when being overwhelmed by a swarm of Majini and I have to worry about not letting Sheva die as well.
That's my biggest complaint too. On the other hand, it was nice to be able to trade weapons.

I was only able to play solo last night. Online co-op wasn't connecting. I hope to be able to try local co-op tonight.
Old 02-03-09, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Walker Boh
You can't change it under options? On the PS3 version of the demo it defaults to D, but you can choose from the four control schemes. You can also change the aiming speed, which made a huge difference for me.

That's my biggest complaint too. On the other hand, it was nice to be able to trade weapons.

I was only able to play solo last night. Online co-op wasn't connecting. I hope to be able to try local co-op tonight.
I was playing the PS3 demo as well. I think I tried changing the control scheme but it didn't seem like there was any other option - maybe I was just doing it wrong ...

On another note, I wonder if the size of the individual inventories have been adjusted in RE5 to spread the number of items you can carry across Chris and Sheva (i.e., if in prior RE games the amount you could carry is the same as Chris and Sheva can carry altogether). If so, bad ... if not, good, as that would just add more unecessary complications to inventory management ...

At least I found the game pretty fun though. Otherwise I wouldn't already be wanting to give it another go

Last edited by Yavin; 02-03-09 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-03-09, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't have any issues with the control layout(s) on the PS3; they're pretty standard RE-style options, so if you've ever been able to play any of the previous games, I see no reason why it'll be an issue here.

My gripes are directed at the camera placement (it's much too close to the character, without an option to pull it back a bit), the real-time inventory (not a bad idea, but God forbid you have to use an item when there are any zombies around), and the forced co-op nature of the gameplay. It just strikes me as a way for Capcom to throw even more enemies at you, and likely cut out any puzzle elements in favor of protection sequences where Sheva has to run off to hit a switch and, surprise!, a hoard comes after her. It's tollerable in small doses, but I really dislike the idea of having her along for the entire game (maybe there'll be a moment early on where she gets captured and held until the very end ).

I was playing the PS3 demo as well. I think I tried changing the control scheme but it didn't seem like there was any other option - maybe I was just doing it wrong ...
You just have to select control options, scroll down to the configuration name and hit left or right to pick a different layout.
Old 02-03-09, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
I didn't have any issues with the control layout(s) on the PS3; they're pretty standard RE-style options, so if you've ever been able to play any of the previous games, I see no reason why it'll be an issue here.

My gripes are directed at the camera placement (it's much too close to the character, without an option to pull it back a bit), the real-time inventory (not a bad idea, but God forbid you have to use an item when there are any zombies around), and the forced co-op nature of the gameplay. It just strikes me as a way for Capcom to throw even more enemies at you, and likely cut out any puzzle elements in favor of protection sequences where Sheva has to run off to hit a switch and, surprise!, a hoard comes after her. It's tollerable in small doses, but I really dislike the idea of having her along for the entire game (maybe there'll be a moment early on where she gets captured and held until the very end ).

You just have to select control options, scroll down to the configuration name and hit left or right to pick a different layout.
I'm going to try a different configuration scheme the next time I play the demo. This is my plan for Friday night. Sad, but true
Old 02-03-09, 11:37 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the good side, I finally fixed my problem with the aiming. In the control options there was an option I missed before, for 'Aiming Speed' I think it was, which I moved from Default to Fastest. That improved things immensely.

Did anyone see the OXM Report video on Xbox Live? The Capcom guy claimed that RE5 would have a control setup that allowed you to shoot and move, or "Gears-controls" as he put them. But then another Capcom guy put out a blog refuting this claim: http://www.capcom-unity.com/kramez/b...esident_evil_5

I have a problem with that blog's justifications though:
While RE5 is very action-heavy, the base RE game design mechanic of holding fast while shooting remains. This mechanic will be immediately familiar to any of the 36+ million people who have played previous Resident Evil games, but may require some mental readjustments by players who are new to the series.
My issue is that they *have* successfully incorporated moving and shooting into the RE gameplay at least once (Resident Evil: Outbreak File 2). Granted this game wasn't played by many and didn't get the best reviews, but the 'shooting while moving' gameplay worked like a charm. And if they can successfully work it into the old-style gameplay, it should fit even better into the new over-the-shoulder style.

Also, I hate when people use the argument it 'isn't the way Resident Evil is', as if gameplay innovation is unacceptable in the franchise. Considering the original didn't have quick turnarounds, co-op play, over-the-shoulder views, or any of the other changes to the core gameplay added in later games, why use that argument to defend the lack of other changes?

In every Resident Evil game, there are always consequences for your actions; combat, while an important part of the game, requires a steady hand and the correct timing. Have you ever tried walking (much less running) while shooting? If you have, you'll know how hard it is to hit a target while in motion. This design reinforces the importance of playing co-op, as having a partner watching your back is crucial for success in the game.
Maybe when playing with a real person, but in single player I've spent more time watching my AI partner's back than the other way around.

Last edited by DRG; 02-03-09 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-03-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I mentioned the "Run and move" comment from the Capcom guy earlier but no one seemed to notice it.

Yeah the "But, but, but, it's Reeeeesident Eeeeeviiiiil! So you shouldn't move and shoot" line of thinking is BULLSHIT and a cop out. Hey, how about letting the player choose whether or not they can move while shooting?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-03-09 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-03-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Yeah, that line of thinking is crap. Lot's of people insist the game wouldn't be scary if you can run and shoot. If that's what they rely on for scares then they have a lot to learn about building tension and freaking people out.

It kinda reminds me of the hardcore Tomb Raider fans that complain about no longer having to keep a button pressed so Lara can hold on to a ledge. It's such a silly argument.
Old 02-03-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

GOt the demo last night. Took FOREVER to d/l (my system has seemed slow since updating and it keeps kicking me out ) but about 2 mins to install.

I had fun. I wasnt able to do the quick look behind and I didnt give a shit for Sheeva. She seemed to take care of herself. I just beat the first level on single player. The game will be ruined if I have to protect the bitch though; I despise the gimmicky protect thing in games.

Also, the demo is 480p? Fucking lame cause my TV doesnt do 720
Old 02-03-09, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Krayzie
I played the other level and it was pretty fun up till I got killed by the chainsaw.
Came to say the same thing. Honestly this game only seems remotely fun to me if you play co-op
Old 02-03-09, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I tried Controller Type D and liked it a LOT more, much much better than Type A! Played it for quite awhile and will probably pick it up eventually...
Old 02-03-09, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I wanted to like this and had high hopes for it but it really is a let down. It hasn't gotten too far away from what a Resident Evil game is supposed to be as well as doing a poor job of being what it is.
Old 02-03-09, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I tried Controller Type D and liked it a LOT more, much much better than Type A! Played it for quite awhile and will probably pick it up eventually...

Isn't "D" the default setting? Mine was already set to "D" when I started. Did you switch to "A" immediately after starting the demo the 1st time?

Some info. Not sure how up to date this is.

Control Type D

The default control scheme is Type D. This configuration is good for players who are not familiar with Resident Evil, who may be more comfortable with the controls of Gears of War. The main recognizable feature of this scheme is holding LT (Left Trigger) to aim, in order to fire with RT (Right Trigger). The Left Stick allows the player to move forward (tilt up), backward (tilt down) or to strafe sideways to the left or right (tilt respectively). Type B is a variation of this control scheme in which the buttons function the same, but Left Stick movement is closer to the RE4 style.

Control Type A

At the opposite end of the spectrum is Type A, which full resembles the controller scheme from Resident Evil 4. Veterans of the previous game should have an easier time adjusting with this setting. Type C is a variation of this control scheme wherein the button functions are the same, but movement with the Left Stick is forward (up), backward (down), and strafe left or right (left or right). Type C is worth investigating, since it allows you to more easily sidestep attacks while still facing the general direction of your enemies.

Movement

Movement is guided with the Left Stick. The function of the control depends on the Control Type chosen. Under Type A or Type B controls, tilting left or right causes the player character to turn left or right. Under Type C or D controls, tilting left or right causes your character to sidestep or strafe to the left or right. Strafing is great in combat situations since it allows you to dodge attacks a little more easily. Turning left or right while an enemy is about to attack leaves your character more vulnerable. If combat proves too frustrating, consider switching Type C or Type D.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-03-09 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-04-09, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Isn't "D" the default setting? Mine was already set to "D" when I started. Did you switch to "A" immediately after starting the demo the 1st time?

Some info. Not sure how up to date this is.

Control Type D

The default control scheme is Type D. This configuration is good for players who are not familiar with Resident Evil, who may be more comfortable with the controls of Gears of War. The main recognizable feature of this scheme is holding LT (Left Trigger) to aim, in order to fire with RT (Right Trigger). The Left Stick allows the player to move forward (tilt up), backward (tilt down) or to strafe sideways to the left or right (tilt respectively). Type B is a variation of this control scheme in which the buttons function the same, but Left Stick movement is closer to the RE4 style.

Control Type A

At the opposite end of the spectrum is Type A, which full resembles the controller scheme from Resident Evil 4. Veterans of the previous game should have an easier time adjusting with this setting. Type C is a variation of this control scheme wherein the button functions are the same, but movement with the Left Stick is forward (up), backward (down), and strafe left or right (left or right). Type C is worth investigating, since it allows you to more easily sidestep attacks while still facing the general direction of your enemies.

Movement

Movement is guided with the Left Stick. The function of the control depends on the Control Type chosen. Under Type A or Type B controls, tilting left or right causes the player character to turn left or right. Under Type C or D controls, tilting left or right causes your character to sidestep or strafe to the left or right. Strafing is great in combat situations since it allows you to dodge attacks a little more easily. Turning left or right while an enemy is about to attack leaves your character more vulnerable. If combat proves too frustrating, consider switching Type C or Type D.

Yes, I did switch to Type A before starting for the first time. I hadn't played ResEvil4 in awhile, but I figured that that was the layout that I'd be most familiar with since I completed that game. What a disaster that was!

Tried it out with the default controls (Type D) last night and vastly prefer that configuration!
Old 02-04-09, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.insert-credits.com/?p=130#more-130

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.