Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Xbox 360 Compendium, Version 2.3

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 12:20 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Downloaded the Sonic and F.E.A.R. demos so far but not really impressed with either. Sonic mainly because I suck at it. Anytime I'd get any speed going I'd end up falling off the damn ledge to my death. I couldn't get anything going and it because a frustrating gaming experience within minutes.

F.E.A.R. has a great creepy feel that reminds me of Condemned twisted with supernatural scariness. But the actual game just feels like evey other generic scifi FPS. I'm not big on FPS games but I'm not against them if they're fun (COD2). This got boring to me once the action started. Maybe the full game is different, but it felt like they came up with the supernatural stuff but weren't creative enough to figure out a way to build gameplay around it so they resorted to standard FPS action.

I agree that the Assassin's Creed and Bioshock trailers are amazing, especially in HD. I hoping there's something to the adventure aspect of Bioshock, and its not just a "get to checkpoints and shoot everything along the way" sort of thing.
Old 09-28-06, 12:30 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything new demos on the Marketplace today? I saw Fusion Frenzy 2, but I haven't got a chance to download it yet.
Old 09-28-06, 12:36 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I just saw a wrestling demo on there.
Old 09-28-06, 12:38 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I ended up deciding to keep both Tomb Raider and Just Cause, because I got a call from work last night. I start tonight, so money shouldn't be a problem anymore. Being in college and working at GM is going to rock.
Old 09-28-06, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
I hoping there's something to the adventure aspect of Bioshock, and its not just a "get to checkpoints and shoot everything along the way" sort of thing.
The developers behind Bioshock also did the System Shock 2 game, and they are calling Bioshock the "spiritual" successor to SS2. SS2 was an amazing game that went far beyond the traditional FPS run-n-gun gameplay. Bioshock has a lot to live up to, but even if it is half as good as SS2, it will still be awesome.
Old 09-28-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Flay
Anything new demos on the Marketplace today? I saw Fusion Frenzy 2, but I haven't got a chance to download it yet.
Fusion Frenzy 2 has been up since Saturday and it is

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
The developers behind Bioshock also did the System Shock 2 game, and they are calling Bioshock the "spiritual" successor to SS2. SS2 was an amazing game that went far beyond the traditional FPS run-n-gun gameplay. Bioshock has a lot to live up to, but even if it is half as good as SS2, it will still be awesome.
Hell if it is even half as good as what they've shown so far I'd still be impressed.
Old 09-28-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xmiyux
Any way for someone with Microsoft PR contacts to kick a tree and see what is going on with Totemball? It seems really odd to not really have any camera interactive games when the camera just released.
Just talked to him. His words were. "It is still coming out but no official word yet on release date. Sit tight, shouldn’t be too long now."

So I said, I'd tell you guys to STFU and be happy for surprises like Doom
Old 09-28-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
I agree that the Assassin's Creed and Bioshock trailers are amazing, especially in HD. I hoping there's something to the adventure aspect of Bioshock, and its not just a "get to checkpoints and shoot everything along the way" sort of thing.
There was a 15-minute video of Bioshock with walkthrough voiceover last week that shows that there is so much more to the game than just "shoot everything in sight".
Old 09-28-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Just talked to him. His words were. "It is still coming out but no official word yet on release date. Sit tight, shouldn’t be too long now."

So I said, I'd tell you guys to STFU and be happy for surprises like Doom
Any trees harmed?
Old 09-28-06, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Wick
I ended up deciding to keep both Tomb Raider and Just Cause, because I got a call from work last night. I start tonight, so money shouldn't be a problem anymore. Being in college and working at GM is going to rock.
GM plant in Lordstown?
Old 09-28-06, 02:29 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

A bit off topic, but it has relevance here: It was announced today that the Microsoft Zune audio player will use Marketplace Points for purchasing songs. Songs will be 79 points (99 cents) each.

While I'm just speculating, I'd say that vastly increases the possibility that we will see integration of the music catalouge available on the 360. Buy it on the 360, download it onto your Zune.
Old 09-28-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Alright alright, i deserve all the grief for the kick a tree. Although in my mind i was picturing the guy in Animal Crossing getting fruit out of trees. Then after the harassment i remembered he shook the trees instead of kicking them.

How long are these conferences going to go on - first Tokyo and then the one in Spain. If they even kept up 1/2 this pace with trailers and demos i honestly don't think i would ever want another game system.
Old 09-28-06, 03:03 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by tbird2340
GM plant in Lordstown?
No, Oshawa, Ontario. I got hired as a TPT (temporary part-time worker.) I'll get two midnight shifts per week (Thursday and Sunday,) at about $30 an hour. I'm going to college during the day, so I can only do the midnight shift. They originally put me on switch shift (days/afternoons, switching every two weeks,) but I had to get that changed. I'd been waiting for a call for about two weeks.
Old 09-28-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll never understand why they pay assembly line workers who basically do repetitious things that a monkey can do (no offense) that kind of cash.

Congrats on landing that kind of job though!
Old 09-28-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Flay
A bit off topic, but it has relevance here: It was announced today that the Microsoft Zune audio player will use Marketplace Points for purchasing songs. Songs will be 79 points (99 cents) each.

While I'm just speculating, I'd say that vastly increases the possibility that we will see integration of the music catalouge available on the 360. Buy it on the 360, download it onto your Zune.
I'd like to see more details about the Zune and XBLA compatiblity. Anything more to that story?
Old 09-28-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Wick
No, Oshawa, Ontario. I got hired as a TPT (temporary part-time worker.) I'll get two midnight shifts per week (Thursday and Sunday,) at about $30 an hour. I'm going to college during the day, so I can only do the midnight shift. They originally put me on switch shift (days/afternoons, switching every two weeks,) but I had to get that changed. I'd been waiting for a call for about two weeks.

Oh god I used to go to that plant all the time. Thank goodness we don't supply your plant with parts anymore.
Old 09-28-06, 03:28 PM

Hi there!

I am very, very close to pulling the trigger on buying a 360 and was hoping someone could help me out with a quick answer... I'm sure this has been answered 20-30 times before (I tried looking in the past version of this thread, but couldn't really find anything), but is "game lag" a problem at all with the 360 on a DLP TV? (Specifically a Samsung HL-S4666W, if anyone can get that specific ) I've seen in the conversation at AVS that people have reported lag, but then some of them have gone back and said that it was on the original X-Box, etc. Anyway, I noticed a huge lag on my PS2 when playing NBA 06 (which I think is 480i and was connected via composite) and I was wondering if regular 720p games for X-Box 360 had any lag at all?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 09-28-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow. Bunny. I had no idea you were still posting around here. I thought all the original cover guys moved on from this place.

Can't answer your question though.
Old 09-28-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I ran my 360 on my 20" Dell LCD monitor for a while and I didn't notice any lag. Not sure if there would be a difference with a DLP screen.
Old 09-28-06, 04:04 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard the lag was due to some firmware issues in the TV I would think newer TVs have it down now. No problems on my 60" sony LCD
Old 09-28-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You guys see this yet? EA's Army of Two - some new IP, not much (if any) gamplay, but this has potential IMO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkhI7z7Mw7g
Old 09-28-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Check out these two videos of WWE SVR 2006 that someone made from the demo.

Best of HHH:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZYzdagCbJLM

Best of Kane:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jcEWraXYRl4
Old 09-28-06, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
You guys see this yet? EA's Army of Two - some new IP, not much (if any) gamplay, but this has potential IMO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkhI7z7Mw7g
yep, EGM had a big cover story on it a few months back. Looks promising.
Old 09-28-06, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tbird2340
I'll never understand why they pay assembly line workers who basically do repetitious things that a monkey can do (no offense) that kind of cash.

Congrats on landing that kind of job though!
They pay that kind of money for a few reasons. Union contracts, even if his plant isn't unionized he still could reap the benefits from the contract GM has in place at the corporate level. Second, he is helping to build auto parts, so there should be a decent pay so as to entice him to work well and pay attention to detail since nobody wants monkeys building the parts for cars that might save lives. Third, he is working third shift so he probably gets a good third shift differential.

I remember when I worked at TRW our plant wasn't unionized but we got all the benefits that TRW had worked out with the UAW. So whenever the UAW guys would come by and offer to represent us everyone just laughed at them since all they could do for us was take two hours wages a check.
Old 09-28-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I heard the lag was due to some firmware issues in the TV I would think newer TVs have it down now. No problems on my 60" sony LCD
I have heard about this myself. I heard that if you change the label setting on your TV to the preset "Game" or whatever is the equivalent setting on your tv, you should be fine. I labeled mine that way just so everyone else can keep track of which input they are on without memorizing them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.