Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-23, 12:47 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Originally Posted by movieguru
Wasn't he moving across the galaxy to a Romulan planet just to be with her?
And they had a kiss when they were discussing that Picard had to go find Beverly
Old 02-17-23, 12:53 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I LOL’d when Beverly’s rifle audibly announced it was out of power. The enemy must love that feature. I don’t recall that being done before. It’s like they think we’re too stupid to figure out her rifle not working by just using visual or sound cues.
At first I thought the ship computer announced that and I was like "why the fck would you tell the enemy that?". Then I realized it came from the gun and didn't make it any less WTF-ish. Cameron did it right with the pulse rifle
Old 02-17-23, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Denise Crosby tweeted a few days ago that she wasn’t invited to the big premiere in Hollywood.
They could be doing it to throw everyone off though. I don't recall there ever being a mention of Will Wheaton doing a cameo in season two until it happened.
Old 02-17-23, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder who will be running the Chatteau Picard winery now that Picard and Laris are moving to the other side of the galaxy. Maybe they'll get the same people that ran the early shift at Cheers.
Old 02-17-23, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

If they are going to try and sneak in Denise Crosby into this season in some way, Yesterday's enterprise would be the best way to do that.
I think the last time we saw Sela she was passed out on the floor of an office after Data Vulcan nerve-pinched her.

It's a shame that she wasn't included in Nemesis, since it could have given her character a prominent story arc and would have helped make the plot of that movie about a clone of Picard make more sense. (Yar, having traveled to the past, would have known that Picard would become the captain of the Federation's flagship, giving the Romulans a reason to want a clone of some random Starfleet cadet.)
The following users liked this post:
tanman (03-02-23)
Old 02-17-23, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

I really enjoyed the premiere. It felt like the start of the sequel we've been waiting for. Part of that might be due to the many nostalgic echos of movies past like Wrath of Khan with the inspection or Search For Spock with the pompous Captain of the Excelsior. Jerry Goldsmith's music is such a thing of beauty and also stirs up wonderful memories. His theme for First Contact never fails to give me the feels.
The following 5 users liked this post by philo:
Bandoman (02-18-23), bluesix (02-18-23), Bronkster (02-18-23), DJariya (02-17-23), tanman (03-02-23)
Old 02-17-23, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder what is going on with Riker and Troi. Rikers comment to Picard in the bar made it sound like they were having some kind of issues.
Old 02-17-23, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I got the impression in season 1 that Riker, Troi and their kid were living a quiet and peaceful life. Now with him back working for the Federation, I assume it's brought some tension in their marriage.
Old 02-18-23, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

It's going to be a running theme that everyone will just be as disrespectful as possible to Picard?
Old 02-18-23, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's one issue I've had with Picard since the first season.

JLP just comes off as weak and unassertive. I realize that he's older now than he was when he was Captain of the D and E, but it just seems completely out of character.

And I guess that Beverly's second kid is going to be revealed as Picard's son? Even the episode title hints at it.
Old 02-18-23, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

JLP just comes off as weak and unassertive. I realize that he's older now than he was when he was Captain of the D and E, but it just seems completely out of character.
Something does feel off. Piccard is more commanding, and confident than he's been shown.

A lower deck bunk room? I know they came without any warning yet you would try a little harder to find proper accommodations.

Since season one too many people have not listened to him, being dismissive, rude, kind of acting like he is a nobody at times, etc...

Hopefully, they knock it off.
Old 02-19-23, 08:44 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

best Picard episode to date. but that's like bragging about your favorite STD.

dammit ST: Picard, I'm back in.

and call me crazy, but I really like the Titan captain and would love to see a show about him, the Titan, and 1st officer Seven.
Old 02-19-23, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
Something does feel off. Piccard is more commanding, and confident than he's been shown.

A lower deck bunk room? I know they came without any warning yet you would try a little harder to find proper accommodations.

Since season one too many people have not listened to him, being dismissive, rude, kind of acting like he is a nobody at times, etc...

Hopefully, they knock it off.
I think that's part of the point of a show. They want to make him look like he's past his prime and no longer considered as relevent as he was during the TNG time period, so he's have more obstacles to overcome.
Old 02-19-23, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And I guess that Beverly's second kid is going to be revealed as Picard's son? Even the episode title hints at it.
That seems the direction they are going with it. It echoes the plot point of Wrath of Kahn. Picard hadn't seen Beverly in twenty years at that point. They seemed to have hinted at some romance with each other at some point after Nemesis. The son appears to be about in his thirties and not early twenties though. Beverly could have secretly had a son during her one year break from the Enterprise-D in Season 2, but that would mean the son would have to be in his late thirties. So either the actor is playing a character much younger or older than his real true age.
Old 02-19-23, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One interesting little tidbit is that Ed Speelers, who is playing Jack Crusher, was born in 1988. Which makes him thirty-five years old, but also puts his birth during the year that Beverly was absent from the Enterprise.

I think that TNG-era series are roughly running in real-time, so if Jack is thirty-five, he would have been born around season two. Though that probably wouldn't work because during a seventh season episode it was made clear that JLP was attracted to BC, but they had not acted on those feelings.

Having Picard be Wesley's father was always sort of a trigger they had set up but never pulled until that point when they disarmed it. But it's been a running theme throught the TNG series and TNG movies that Picard regrets being childless and not leaving a legacy, so they're probably dipping back into that well.
Old 02-19-23, 08:29 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Gates McFadden has aged very well.... dayummm..
Old 02-20-23, 07:34 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
best Picard episode to date. but that's like bragging about your favorite STD.

dammit ST: Picard, I'm back in.

and call me crazy, but I really like the Titan captain and would love to see a show about him, the Titan, and 1st officer Seven Hansen.
FYP

I read a theory that
Spoiler:
Riker's has ulterior motives. He may be working with Starfleet Intelligence, and may not have Picard's best interests at heart.

Spoilered because if true it would be a pretty big surprise, but I don't believe it.
Old 02-20-23, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One interesting little tidbit is that Ed Speelers, who is playing Jack Crusher, was born in 1988. Which makes him thirty-five years old, but also puts his birth during the year that Beverly was absent from the Enterprise.

I think that TNG-era series are roughly running in real-time, so if Jack is thirty-five, he would have been born around season two. Though that probably wouldn't work because during a seventh season episode it was made clear that JLP was attracted to BC, but they had not acted on those feelings.

Having Picard be Wesley's father was always sort of a trigger they had set up but never pulled until that point when they disarmed it. But it's been a running theme throught the TNG series and TNG movies that Picard regrets being childless and not leaving a legacy, so they're probably dipping back into that well.
In the first season of Picard, 2-3 more years had passed in the timeline than in real time. They don't specify what year season 3 takes place in yet, but season 2 was in 2401. Some people proposed that it takes place in 2411 because of the 250th anniversary celebration thing, but that doesn't really make sense.

Beverly's son has a British accent. If he was only twenty and travelling around with Beverly all those years, the accent wouldn't make sense. His accent would be much closer to Beverly's. I'm sure they wanted the UK accent so that he is closer to being like a younger version of Picard.
Old 02-20-23, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

In the first season of Picard, 2-3 more years had passed in the timeline than in real time. They don't specify what year season 3 takes place in yet, but season 2 was in 2401. Some people proposed that it takes place in 2411 because of the 250th anniversary celebration thing, but that doesn't really make sense..
Season 3 is later in 2401.
Old 02-20-23, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Much improved over the first two seasons and I sorta liked them. They should have had more of the other characters there from the start.
Old 02-20-23, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bandoman
FYP

I read a theory that
Spoiler:
Riker's has ulterior motives. He may be working with Starfleet Intelligence, and may not have Picard's best interests at heart.

Spoilered because if true it would be a pretty big surprise, but I don't believe it.
Speaking of theories, on my second viewing I suspect that Raffi's mysterious handler is
Spoiler:
Worf.

The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (02-21-23)
Old 02-21-23, 07:25 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

You could be right, Josh.
Spoiler:
The mystery contact called her a warrior. Also, the security measures were insufficient to prevent a major tragedy - typical of Worf.

Old 02-21-23, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Speaking of theories, on my second viewing I suspect that Raffi's mysterious handler is
Spoiler:
Worf.
That makes sense considering the comment that was made in the trailer.
Old 02-21-23, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Ill have to watch EP 1 again, but it was just ok on 1st watch. Didn't blow me away. But then again I wasn't as down on S1 and S2 as others so I have less of an uphill battle with Season 3 than others here.
Old 02-21-23, 04:43 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

you think all of the original Next Generation cast makes this season out alive?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.