DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/657052-star-trek-picard-paramount-3rd-final-season-premieres-2-16-23-a.html)

DJariya 01-09-23 07:54 PM

Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...a9624b4ecb.jpg

STAR TREK: PICARD features Patrick Stewart reprising his iconic role as Jean-Luc Picard, which he played for seven seasons on "Star Trek: The Next Generation," and follows this iconic character into the next chapter of his life. LeVar Burton, Michael Dorn, Jonathan Frakes, Gates McFadden, Marina Sirtis, Brent Spiner, Jeri Ryan and Michelle Hurd star alongside Patrick Stewart in the third and final season of the hit Paramount+ original series.

The series is produced by CBS Studios in association with Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment. For season three, Alex Kurtzman, Akiva Goldsman, Terry Matalas, Patrick Stewart, Heather Kadin, Aaron Baiers, Rod Roddenberry, Trevor Roth, Doug Aarniokoski and Dylan Massin serve as executive producers. Terry Matalas serves as showrunner for season three.

Paramount released the final season poster, so I thought I might as well get a thread going. It premieres in a little over a month. I don't think I will be doing weekly threads for Picard. Traffic in this forum is near dead and season 2 threads only averaged around 40+ posts. A bunch of other shows barely get any discussion. Not many here were talking about Picard weekly last season. Unless you all really want weekly discussion. I know some here prefer to just pull up 1 thread. If you don’t care, then this will be the default thread for the final season.

ViewAskewbian 01-10-23 06:58 AM

Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

I get it, Data/Not Data, if I were standing that close to Jeri Ryan I'd have a giant mandroid boner too!

Bandoman 01-10-23 09:01 AM

Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

:banana:

movieguru 01-10-23 09:35 AM

They have to come up with too many excuses. coincidences to have Brent Spiner in every season. I feel like Denise Crosby will make a surprise appearance in this season. No way they go out after this season without doing something with her as well.

milo bloom 01-10-23 09:39 AM

I'm excited to see the old crew back in action but the first two seasons sure had some issues. The second was much better but still some boneheaded decisions (like not making a whole series out of Rios as a Captain).

Bandoman 01-10-23 09:47 AM

The Wesley Crusher appearance in S2 was painfully bad. I really like Wil Wheaton and wish they had come up with something better.

milo bloom 01-10-23 10:14 AM

I thought was generally liked? I was thrilled to see him finally get a chance to give Wesley some closure.

movieguru 01-10-23 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 14217993)
I thought was generally liked? I was thrilled to see him finally get a chance to give Wesley some closure.

That really didn't feel like closure. It was more of an opening for more things to happen with his character or the girl.

movieguru 01-10-23 10:54 AM

There was a rumor that they would reveal that Wesley Crusher was Picard's son and not Jack Crusher's son. I think if they reveal that Picard and Beverly had a love child it will be something different. Crusher could have became pregnant at some point after Nemesis. If so that child would be fairly young. If they had a fling during the first season of TNG, Beverly could have had a child, unknown to Picard while she was away for the year during season two of TNG. Another possibility is they had a child long before TNG. If that's the case, the new villain, who has some unknown link/ hatred for Picard, could be his daughter. That would also explain why Beverly chose to send a distress call to Picard in the trailer rather than someone else.

Mike86 01-10-23 10:56 AM

I hope not. That sounds like something this show would pull though. A needless retcon to add some extra drama bullshit.

Superman07 01-10-23 11:10 AM

I didn’t rewatch the trailer, but wasn’t Moriarty featured? I feel like we last saw him going off in a shuttle (with somebody). However, I don’t recall if that was real or a holodeck simulation ruse.

Giantrobo 01-10-23 12:12 PM

I want a Seven and Raffi spin off. :up:

Meathead 01-10-23 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 14218025)
I didn’t rewatch the trailer, but wasn’t Moriarty featured? I feel like we last saw him going off in a shuttle (with somebody). However, I don’t recall if that was real or a holodeck simulation ruse.

He was featured. He had tricked Picard to giving him the command codes in a holodeck simulation. Picard then tricked him with a holodeck simulation inside the simulation to regain control. The episode ended with Moriarty and the Countess (his love) in an endless simulation thinking they'd successfully left the holodeck and departed the Enterprise in a shuttlecraft.

milo bloom 01-10-23 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 14218010)
That really didn't feel like closure. It was more of an opening for more things to happen with his character or the girl.

The state of his character in on-screen canon was never settled. His last appearance was in a deleted scene from Nemesis at Will and Deanna's wedding, and wearing a Starfleet uniform. The novels have explained the uniform and what he's been up to, but onscreen it was never clear until we saw him recruit Kore.

For me, his appearance in Nemesis was unsatisfying. Why back in uniform? Why not part of the story? If that were Wheaton's last appearance was Wesley in Star Trek ever, I would have been unsatisfied.

Seeing him in Picard, getting confirmation of what he's doing and doing well is closure in that I know for sure what he's doing. If Wheaton never makes another appearance, I would consider it closure because we know he's found his calling.

Philly30 01-10-23 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 14217964)
They have to come up with too many excuses. coincidences to have Brent Spiner in every season. I feel like Denise Crosby will make a surprise appearance in this season. No way they go out after this season without doing something with her as well.

I don't think she was killed off when she appeared as a Romulan, so she could appear

RocShemp 01-10-23 06:38 PM

Is Isa Briones out for season 3?

movieguru 01-10-23 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 14218105)
The state of his character in on-screen canon was never settled. His last appearance was in a deleted scene from Nemesis at Will and Deanna's wedding, and wearing a Starfleet uniform. The novels have explained the uniform and what he's been up to, but onscreen it was never clear until we saw him recruit Kore.

For me, his appearance in Nemesis was unsatisfying. Why back in uniform? Why not part of the story? If that were Wheaton's last appearance was Wesley in Star Trek ever, I would have been unsatisfied.

Seeing him in Picard, getting confirmation of what he's doing and doing well is closure in that I know for sure what he's doing. If Wheaton never makes another appearance, I would consider it closure because we know he's found his calling.

I thought there was still a glimpse of Wesley in uniform at the wedding that wasn't just the deleted scene. It may have been for a brief second or two, but I think he was still visible and in uniform, but it's been a long time since I've seen the theatrical version.

I was saying it less of a closure because they the daughters story just ended abruptly with her being whisked away by Wesley. It made it feel like there's more to come with their story, otherwise it was a really pointless scene and the whole plotline with the daughter had very little point if this is all we get.

Jason 01-10-23 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 14218236)
Is Isa Briones out for season 3?

They'll figure out a ridiculous way to jam her in there somehow.

RocShemp 01-10-23 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 14218295)
They'll figure out a ridiculous way to jam her in there somehow.

Although I liked the first two seasons, I must admit her entire season 2 arc could/should have been cut. Same for the poor man's Fox Mulder episode.

Josh-da-man 01-10-23 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 14218013)
There was a rumor that they would reveal that Wesley Crusher was Picard's son and not Jack Crusher's son.

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 14218014)
I hope not. That sounds like something this show would pull though. A needless retcon to add some extra drama bullshit.

They set that up as a trigger they could have pulled at any time when they were filming TNG. But I seem to recall that they eventually divulged in a final season episode -- the where JLP and Bev were telepathically linked -- that while Picard was attracted to Beverly when she was married to Jack Crusher, but he never acted on those feelings.

Superman07 01-10-23 10:21 PM

If we’re pulling things out at the end, I vote to bring back Vash!

Cellar Door 01-26-23 07:14 PM

I am currently rewatching Fringe, and had an 'a-ha!" moment when I realized that the actress who played Peter's mom in several episodes is Orla Brady, who also played Laris and Tallinn in Picard seasons 1 and 2.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...00b613dfe4.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...a52a9852b4.jpg

RocShemp 01-26-23 07:22 PM

Apparently this third season is rumoured to also feature a return to Voyager and DS9. There's also talk about a new TNG movie or series after Picard wraps up.

milo bloom 01-27-23 10:50 AM

Ugh, that just reminds me how dumb the writers were to introduce those two awesome Romulans that were clearly in a polycule with Picard and then... just leave them behind when Picard goes on his mission. What a way to drop the ball.

Josh-da-man 01-27-23 04:15 PM

Yeah, I was really getting the vibe that JLP, Laris, and Zhaban were in a polyamorous relationship, but they never came right out and confirmed it. Wonder if Paramount nixed it, and that's why they killed of Zhaban offscreen.