Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Old 02-22-23, 07:50 AM
  #101  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 36,483
Received 473 Likes on 281 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

No, I think at least one will die for emotional impact. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Picard. I don't think Patrick Stewart is going to be doing many more movies/series.
Old 02-22-23, 10:30 AM
  #102  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,421
Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

The Bad:
- the Raffi scenes. All seemed like cut scenes from Seasons 1 and 2 (aka the 'unmitigated disaster' seasons of epicly bad writing). I wish her character had been kicked off the show like the rest of the new characters from Seasons 1 and 2. Hopefully, her scenes improve as the season goes on.
- the overly cryptic way Dr. Crusher contacted Jean-Luc. Sending an encrypted message to his old com badge that needed an decades-old password (if my life depended on me remembering my old Windows 95 password, I'd be dead). And then it required knowledge of an obscure Borg code that added 3's to the coordinates (luck Riker was there instead of off-world with Troi). It's a ridiculous series of coincidences that they were even able to both get and decode her message at all. It seemed less like a life or death situation than Crusher testing Picard to see if he could decode an extremely tough puzzle for fun.

The Good:
- Picard and Riker together. Great chemistry like they had on the old TNG series. Truly felt like Star Trek, through and through.
- The use of music from the old Star Trek movies and shows. That really, really felt like Star Trek.

And also good, I''m intrigued to see the rest of the season and not dreading where it's going, like previous seasons. I can't wait to see the rest of the old cast again, especially Worf.
Old 02-22-23, 11:57 AM
  #103  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,333
Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
The Bad:
- the Raffi scenes. All seemed like cut scenes from Seasons 1 and 2 (aka the 'unmitigated disaster' seasons of epicly bad writing). I wish her character had been kicked off the show like the rest of the new characters from Seasons 1 and 2. Hopefully, her scenes improve as the season goes on.
- the overly cryptic way Dr. Crusher contacted Jean-Luc. Sending an encrypted message to his old com badge that needed an decades-old password (if my life depended on me remembering my old Windows 95 password, I'd be dead). And then it required knowledge of an obscure Borg code that added 3's to the coordinates (luck Riker was there instead of off-world with Troi). It's a ridiculous series of coincidences that they were even able to both get and decode her message at all. It seemed less like a life or death situation than Crusher testing Picard to see if he could decode an extremely tough puzzle for fun.

The Good:
- Picard and Riker together. Great chemistry like they had on the old TNG series. Truly felt like Star Trek, through and through.
- The use of music from the old Star Trek movies and shows. That really, really felt like Star Trek.

And also good, I''m intrigued to see the rest of the season and not dreading where it's going, like previous seasons. I can't wait to see the rest of the old cast again, especially Worf.
The one thing that bugs me is how when they talk about how far out in space they are. In the extended trailer, you can hear the Titan captain saying, "It's just us and the boogeyman at the edge of space. No cavalry in sight". They had just left Earth and were travelling in the opposite direction the entire day and Seven of Nine managed to get them there in no more than a few hours when the captain was taking a nap. If they needed help, they could, Starfleet would have been able to get a ship there in less time than it took Seven since she started out from a distance much farther away.
Old 02-22-23, 07:09 PM
  #104  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,421
Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
The one thing that bugs me is how when they talk about how far out in space they are. In the extended trailer, you can hear the Titan captain saying, "It's just us and the boogeyman at the edge of space. No cavalry in sight". They had just left Earth and were travelling in the opposite direction the entire day and Seven of Nine managed to get them there in no more than a few hours when the captain was taking a nap. If they needed help, they could, Starfleet would have been able to get a ship there in less time than it took Seven since she started out from a distance much farther away.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Definitely in the "Bad" category on how ridiculously fast they got to the edge of Federation space. It reminded me of the Discovery Season 2 plot where a bunch of lights appeared simultaneously in different parts of the galaxy, clearly written by scientifically clueless writers who have no idea about lightyears or how massively huge the galaxy is.
Old 02-22-23, 07:35 PM
  #105  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 41,212
Received 1,922 Likes on 1,372 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

The ships in Star Trek travel as fast the plot needs them to. It will take Voyager seventy years to return to Federation space, but one hundred years earlier the Enterprise-A was able to travel roughly the same distance in the course of a single movie.

And, yeah, that plot point with the Red Angels in Discovery season two was pretty bad. There's all kinds of dodgy science stuff in Star Trek that we just have to overlook. Spock watching Vulcan explode in Star Trek '09, the Genesis device from Wrath of Khan, and a bunch of other stuff over the years. They can handwave a lot of stuff away with technobabble and fake technology like subspace communications, but when you have something happen like a star exploding, it's going to take decades for it be seen from other planets. Or the energy ribbon from Generations would have to have been traveling at thousands of times the speed of light.

Old 02-22-23, 10:50 PM
  #106  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,421
Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
There's all kinds of dodgy science stuff in Star Trek that we just have to overlook. Spock watching Vulcan explode in Star Trek '09, the Genesis device from Wrath of Khan, and a bunch of other stuff over the years. They can handwave a lot of stuff away with technobabble and fake technology like subspace communications, but when you have something happen like a star exploding, it's going to take decades for it be seen from other planets. Or the energy ribbon from Generations would have to have been traveling at thousands of times the speed of light.
nuTrek though has the worst scientifically believeable stuff. Old Trek it took like a century to cross the galaxy at maximum warp and all the shows stayed consistent with that throughout. But in nuTrek it takes like a couple of hours tops to cover the same distance. I wish they would stop hiring nincompoops who don't know the difference between science and magic to write nuTrek.
Old 02-22-23, 10:55 PM
  #107  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,421
Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Red Letter Media had a review of Picard S3 episode 1



It's always great fun to watch Mike and Rich talk about Star Trek but it'll probably be 2 or 3 weeks before the next one.

The following users liked this post:
bunkaroo (02-23-23)
Old 02-23-23, 12:08 AM
  #108  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 16,373
Received 188 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
Red Letter Media had a review of Picard S3 episode 1



It's always great fun to watch Mike and Rich talk about Star Trek but it'll probably be 2 or 3 weeks before the next one.
I didnít think they were going to do this season. But since they are Iím in too just to enjoy them taking it apart.
Old 02-23-23, 10:58 AM
  #109  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,333
Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

If this new character is Jean-Luc's son, the easiest way to make it fit would be for Beverly to have a son during the time she was absent during season 2. They say in the last season that while they had an attraction for one another, they never acted upon it. But there was the second episode of the first season "The Naked Now" where they were all under the influence of the virus where it could have happened. It would depend on how much time passed between that episode and the last episode of season one for no one to notice that Beverly was pregnant before she left the ship.
Old 02-23-23, 03:13 PM
  #110  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 79,892
Received 1,090 Likes on 749 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Worf is a damn ninja. That was badass.

So they went there. Wonder how they explain it.
Old 02-23-23, 04:44 PM
  #111  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 41,212
Received 1,922 Likes on 1,372 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

This series is going to end up having more decapitations than Game of Thrones.

I nailed the identity of Raffi's handler.

Also wondering how Jack is going to fit in. He'd probably have to have been born post-Nemesis unless they're going to retcon away that seventh season episode "Attached" where it was shown that JL and Bev never bumped the uglies, and if she did somehow have his son during her season two absence, he would have found out when their minds were connected.
Old 02-23-23, 06:10 PM
  #112  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 604
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

So they don't have instant DNA tests in the future?
The following users liked this post:
Thos19 (02-24-23)
Old 02-24-23, 12:46 AM
  #113  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
alfredog1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,484
Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Such a great episode

I did not recognize Honey Bunny as Vadic
Old 02-24-23, 05:15 AM
  #114  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
philo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: under the sofa cushions
Posts: 1,128
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

There's some delicious continuity with Amanda Plummer relishing her villainy just as her dad did in Undiscovered Country with the Shakespeare quoting General Chang.
.
Even though I could see the reveal a mile away I still enjoyed that moment at the end. I also am curious as to when they hooked up.

I wonder if the a-hole Captain will redeem himself by the end or die in doing so.

It seems to be a trope to have the brash badboy son of an accomplished respected figure. Reminds me of Tom Paris.

Great to see Worf and hear the Klingon theme. And did I hear the "Blaster beam" from The Motion Picture used a few times already? Such a cool instrument.
Old 02-24-23, 12:13 PM
  #115  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 62,017
Received 1,241 Likes on 824 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Ep 2

The Meh:

Not liking the Bev/Jean Luc Baby Daddy shit AT ALL. I'm hoping he's a clone or it's some other thing.
-I'm not seein' why folks love the Titan so much. It's nice, but nothing spectacular. Maybe someone can tell me what the appeal is other than it's made it's bones in the books.

The Fuck Yeah!:
-Worf
-Raffi
-Seven...NOT fuckin' "Anika"
-Also Worf...I've been saying ...I want a Seven, Raffi, and Worf spin off. I was getting a "vibe" about them and now I want it even more since Worf has been revealed to be Raffi's Handler.
-Amanda Plummer/New Villain

The Ok, I'll keep an Open Mind:
-Shaw is a prick, but I've been listening to lots of Trek Podcasts give their take on him and I'm now seeing where the actor is giving us a great portrayal of the "By the book" kinda leader. So I've softened on him a bit and will give him a chance.
-Season 3 of Picard in general since it's leaning heavily into Nostalgia and Easter Eggs to pacify the S1 and S2 Haters. I hope the story doesn't suffer for it.
Old 02-24-23, 03:57 PM
  #116  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 18,182
Received 264 Likes on 204 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Did we NOT see that Jack Crusher was going to be Picard's son from the moment he was introduced? I mean in the first scene with Picard on Earth he said, "I don't want a legacy"...well, as soon as I saw Jack, I thought "Yeah, there's your legacy, Jean-Luc."
Old 02-24-23, 05:27 PM
  #117  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 41,212
Received 1,922 Likes on 1,372 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
The Ok, I'll keep an Open Mind:
-Shaw is a prick, but I've been listening to lots of Trek Podcasts give their take on him and I'm now seeing where the actor is giving us a great portrayal of the "By the book" kinda leader. So I've softened on him a bit and will give him a chance.
Shaw is sort of a odd character, in that he is not in the wrong, but they presented him as such a passive-aggressive dick in the previous episode, like the writers really wanted to make him unlikable and hammer it into the audience.

He's just presented in such an over-the-top way... "Anneke Hansen," starting his dinner early, being dismissive about Picard's bottle of wine, Riker's jazz, putting them up in bunk beds. I think it would have been enough to just be a strict, humorless by-the-book kind of Captain. I can't imagine how insufferable it would be serve under him.

Flip the script, and neither Picard nor Riker would have appreciated some retired Admiral coming aboard their ship and demanding they violate orders for some kind of mysterious personal mission. And that would seem to be enough to set up the conflict, without all of the petty little power game he played.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (02-27-23)
Old 02-24-23, 06:23 PM
  #118  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 5,914
Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Did we NOT see that Jack Crusher was going to be Picard's son from the moment he was introduced? I mean in the first scene with Picard on Earth he said, "I don't want a legacy"...well, as soon as I saw Jack, I thought "Yeah, there's your legacy, Jean-Luc."
Yeah there was no doubt that this was Picard's kid. I can't wait to the writers to explain what the hell happened in Crusher's life that she would have not told Picard about this kid, cut herself off from her entire support system, and raised a second child as a single parent (Wesley talked about the effect that had on him and it became clear pretty quick that this dude has daddy issues too).
Old 02-24-23, 07:19 PM
  #119  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,069
Received 965 Likes on 780 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Iím hearing good things but Iíve still restrained myself from watching. I just donít trust this show to not take a dump at some point and piss me off yet again.
Old 02-25-23, 12:20 AM
  #120  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 74,445
Received 2,653 Likes on 1,961 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

I loved Vadic. About time we got an evil space villain and her evil laugh. I didn’t realize that was Christopher Plummer’s daughter. Nice that they kept it in the family from a past Star Trek cast member.

Worf coming in slicing and dicing was pretty badass.

It wasn’t too hard to figure out that Jack would be Picard’s son. Even Riker could see it.

again I like the score and music. The Klingon music was also a nice touch. It feels Star Trek.
Old 02-25-23, 12:59 AM
  #121  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 41,212
Received 1,922 Likes on 1,372 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Paramount has, again, posted the first episode to Youtube for those who might not have Paramount+. Should be up until Wednesday or Thursday.


Is it just me, or do the colors on the YT version look dull and washed out? Particularly in the "Star Trek" flourish that precedes the episode; the rainbow trailing the ship looks really off. The rest of the episode looks dull, too, but it's harder to tell because it looks like they had the guy from Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon doing post-production.
Old 02-25-23, 01:04 AM
  #122  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 74,445
Received 2,653 Likes on 1,961 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

No it’s not just you. Terry Matalas addressed it yesterday

Old 02-25-23, 01:24 AM
  #123  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 16,373
Received 188 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

I guess Iíll be the lone dissenter here on Plummerís villain - I find the character grating and annoying. Getting shades of Insurrection (another terrible villain played by a fantastic actor).
The following users liked this post:
Thos19 (02-27-23)
Old 02-25-23, 08:41 AM
  #124  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,843
Received 332 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

yeah, Plummer's villain is too comically over the top, only thing missing is for her to twist her handlebar mustache as she cackles. Plummer is a terrible actress, always has been, so she can't pull it off.

thankfully i don't really care, I just love seeing these characters back together again and the story thus far is compelling enough. Why they didn't give us 3 seasons of this crew is beyond me.
Old 02-25-23, 09:16 AM
  #125  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,069
Received 965 Likes on 780 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Patrick Stewart basically set out to not make it a TNG reunion show. In some ways on paper that didnít sound bad but there were a lot of bad ideas in the first two seasons.

The show has basically been his novelty project for the first two seasons and he got to do it under the guise of using the Picard character and Star Trek brand. I love his portrayal of Picard in TNG but Iíve lost a bit of respect for him as a creative force behind this show.

Someone must have gotten in his ear and convinced him that thereís a lot of fans who really donít like what youíre doing and just want some TNG goodness. I havenít seen it yet to gather my feelings but it at least sounds better than the previous two seasons.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.