Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-23, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

Episode 2:

:The Bad":
- Nearly of the Raffi scenes again. Everytime she was on the scene (with one exception), I couldn't wait until it switched back to what was going on with Riker & Picard & The Titan.
- Some of Picard's son's behavior. He goes to all that effort to escape the brig just to turn himself over to the evil lady? Why not just open a channel to the captain and tell him that you want to surrender yourself to the evil lady. Captain Shaw would've beamed him right over, no hesitation.

"The Good":
- The Titan zooming in to break up the tractor beam looked amazing. If the show wants to do this "make the fans cheer" stuff in the show, at least do it well. And that scene was done very well.
- Worf's appearance: Wow, what an entrance! Seeing Worf in warrior mode is always a treat, given how sparingly it happened on TNG the series. I had to rewind and watch that scene twice in a row. I know that scene is intended to be candy for the fans, but when fan services works this well, I don't mind. Worf was the only good part of the Raffi scenes.
Old 02-25-23, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount +) -- The 3rd and Final season -- Premieres 2/16/23

I just hope that at some point, Vadic gets to scream "I’ll execute every one of you motherfuckers!"

The following 3 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
Bandoman (02-28-23), Giantrobo (02-27-23), TGM (02-25-23)
Old 02-26-23, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 91 Posts

Man, the Raffi stuff grinds everything to a halt, although the visuals of the temporal weapon were kind of cool. At least her handler/rescuer didn’t turn out to be Elnor like I initially feared at the start of the ass-kicking.
Old 02-26-23, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

I just wish they didn't go there with Jack being Picard's son. Didn't we already get that with Kirk and David?
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (02-27-23)
Old 02-27-23, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I just wish they didn't go there with Jack being Picard's son. Didn't we already get that with Kirk and David?
I'm ok with it as long as they don't kill off his son at the end of the season like they did with Kirk's son in Star Trek III.
Old 02-27-23, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
I'm ok with it as long as they don't kill off his son at the end of the season like they did with Kirk's son in Star Trek III.
My guess is that is EXACTLY what they are going to do. Or Picard is going to sacrifice himself to save Jack. One of them is going to die.
Old 02-27-23, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Xander
My guess is that is EXACTLY what they are going to do. Or Picard is going to sacrifice himself to save Jack. One of them is going to die.
They seem to be trying to mirror a lot of stuff that happened in the TOS movies and to the TOS characters. If so, when Picard dies, he will be sacrificing himself for the captain of the Enterprise F which will end up getting destroyed at some point this season.
Old 02-27-23, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
They seem to be trying to mirror a lot of stuff that happened in the TOS movies and to the TOS characters. If so, when Picard dies, he will be sacrificing himself for the captain of the Enterprise F which will end up getting destroyed at some point this season.
As long as he's not killed by felled scaffolding.
Old 02-27-23, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
As long as he's not killed by felled scaffolding.
He could die and the captain of the Enterprise F rushes up to him as he lies on the ground dying. Then the captain could say to him "Thank you for helping me stop Vadic". Then Picard would say "Least I could do for the captain of the Enterprise", followed by "Oh, dear!" or "Oh, merde!".
devilshalo (02-27-23)
Old 02-27-23, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Did we NOT see that Jack Crusher was going to be Picard's son from the moment he was introduced? I mean in the first scene with Picard on Earth he said, "I don't want a legacy"...well, as soon as I saw Jack, I thought "Yeah, there's your legacy, Jean-Luc."

Yes, yes...We saw. But were/are still hoping there is a twist. It's a shit Baby Daddy story line that doesn't fit Bev and Jean Luc

Old 02-27-23, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I watched the episode a second time and the Raffi scenes really are mostly terrible. The scene where she argues with her computer to drop a ton of exposition is probably the worst scene of the season so far. So bad, it was S1/S2 level bad.

And Jack Crusher so far is such a lousy character that I don't care if he lives or dies on the show. Just the way he talks to others sucks. I don't like him at all.

A reviewer I trust who has seen the whole season said that the first 4 episodes are a lot of setup and character introduction, but then starting in episode 5 and onward is when the season gets really good. So I expect 2 more mixed episodes of both good and bad stuff before it kicks into high gear and becomes mostly good.
Old 02-27-23, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yes, yes...We saw. But were/are still hoping there is a twist. It's a shit Baby Daddy story line that doesn't fit Bev and Jean Luc
I'm curious where the birth of their son fits in (post Nemesis of in between seasons 1 and 3). He looks too old to be only 21 years of age.
Old 02-27-23, 09:09 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I'm hoping we get some sort of a flashback of Beverly buns up kneeling.
Old 02-28-23, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TGM
I'm hoping we get some sort of a flashback of Beverly buns up kneeling.
Then I'd believe he's actually Worf's son. But seriously, Jean Luc always struck me as Asexual(nothing wrong with that BTW). Still, I can't see him going RAW with Bev.
Old 02-28-23, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 91 Posts

But seriously, Jean Luc always struck me as Asexual(nothing wrong with that BTW).
Except for Vash. And Eline. And Kamala. And Nella Daren. And Miranda Vigo.
Old 02-28-23, 04:33 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

So why did Captain Shaw have a change of heart all of a sudden? He was adamant of giving Jack up until the son reveal. But it's not like Shaw showed any sort of empathy or respect to Picard prior. Is there some starfleet rule about family members?
Old 02-28-23, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by printerati

Pfft. I have never bought any real sexual energy between JL and these women that they tossed in to pander to the Fanboy need to have a hero have a woman. I stand by what I said. Now, if you want to talk about the mild sexual energy between him and The Federation/Starfleet...
Old 02-28-23, 06:17 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

Just wait until we find out that the real father is
Spoiler:
KIRK

somehow...
Old 02-28-23, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Then I'd believe he's actually Worf's son. But seriously, Jean Luc always struck me as Asexual(nothing wrong with that BTW). Still, I can't see him going RAW with Bev.
JLP always sort of set off my gaydar. Looking at it from a modern perspective, it seems like he was gay-coded: middle aged single man, fussy and fastidious, interest in art.

Originally Posted by printerati
Pfft. I have never bought any real sexual energy between JL and these women that they tossed in to pander to the Fanboy need to have a hero have a woman. I stand by what I said.
Yeah, all of the women they tried to set Picard up with never really had much chemistry with him and they felt awkwardly shoehorned in.

But that's a problem with TNG in general. None of the relationships, outside of maybe Will and Deanna, ever really had any chemistry or felt natural. And this includes all of Riker's conquests, that Trill guy Beverly was involved with for a single episode, Worf's Klingon baby mama, yadda yadda yadda. They were all just devices to drive whatever A- or B-story they were in.

And, or course, Geordi was an incel before incel was cool.
Giantrobo (03-01-23)
Old 02-28-23, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
JLP always sort of set off my gaydar. Looking at it from a modern perspective, it seems like he was gay-coded: middle aged single man, fussy and fastidious, interest in art.

Yeah, all of the women they tried to set Picard up with never really had much chemistry with him and they felt awkwardly shoehorned in.

But that's a problem with TNG in general. None of the relationships, outside of maybe Will and Deanna, ever really had any chemistry or felt natural. And this includes all of Riker's conquests, that Trill guy Beverly was involved with for a single episode, Worf's Klingon baby mama, yadda yadda yadda. They were all just devices to drive whatever A- or B-story they were in.

And, or course, Geordi was an incel before incel was cool.
Beverly had a lot of chemistry with that ghost, as did her grandmother.
Old 02-28-23, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kennyx
So why did Captain Shaw have a change of heart all of a sudden? He was adamant of giving Jack up until the son reveal. But it's not like Shaw showed any sort of empathy or respect to Picard prior. Is there some starfleet rule about family members?
Wasn't so much a change of heart. It was that a retired admiral could somehow over ride his orders and take command of his crew even when he wasn't able to do that in the prior episode.
Giantrobo (03-01-23)
Old 03-02-23, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I wonder if the third episode title refers to how long it took JLP to get Beverly pregnant.
Old 03-02-23, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Shaw: (gasping for air)
Beverly: Are you having trouble breathing?

Also, random crew members giving Jack the stinky eye and whining to him it’s his fault - that’s some great discipline right there.
Old 03-02-23, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good third episode, but I wish there wasn't going to be such a huge connection to DS9. I've never watched that show much and am not familiar with the later seasons. I hope the plot is easy enough to follow without any extensive knowledge of DS9.
Old 03-02-23, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Picard being so adamant about staying to fight seemed out of character. He would fight if he had to, but he also knew when to get away.

Too bad we never got a Riker show. He is the best part of this by a country mile.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.