TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Conners (ABC) - Season 3 Thread

Old 04-02-21, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Re: The Conners (ABC) - Season 3 Thread

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Dan's a dick.

Cool to see that he can't bully and intimidate Ben like he did David.

While Dan probably did deserve a raise and promotion, it would be nuts to hand your girlfriend's father a fourth of your family's company.

Though it's kind of questionable as to how much business Dan's contractor buddies would bring in. From what we've seen it looks like a little "neighborhood" hardware store, and not somewhere contractors would go to buy things like lumber and drywall sheets. You're pretty much tied to the big box stores like Lowes or Home Depot unless there's a privately-owned local place of a similar size; they do exist, but Ben's store looks like somewhere you might go to buy paint or nails.
Dan is a dick. And a big baby. This is also such a stupid storyline. He really thinks being partner of a independent hardware store is going to be his meal ticket?
Old 04-02-21, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
Dan is a dick. And a big baby. This is also such a stupid storyline. He really thinks being partner of a independent hardware store is going to be his meal ticket?
Well, yeah. Takes him from being an hourly employee to getting a percentage of the overall take. Ben saw a big jump in incoming capital with the contractor deals Dan made; Dan got the same salary as if he was just casually working the register.

There's a lot of Amazon employees who clock way more time per week than Jeff Bezos....
Old 04-02-21, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Well, yeah. Takes him from being an hourly employee to getting a percentage of the overall take. Ben saw a big jump in incoming capital with the contractor deals Dan made; Dan got the same salary as if he was just casually working the register.

There's a lot of Amazon employees who clock way more time per week than Jeff Bezos....
I realize that. But exactly how much money would any owner/partner of a store that size expect to get on a monthly basis? Especially if you have to split it with another partner. Sure, he'd get more than an hourly paid employee. But I can't see him paying off that mortgage any time soon. Or pay off his other debts.
Old 04-02-21, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I agree that Dan is definitely being a baby.

I can understand giving him a raise and even getting a commission for every contractor sale he brings in... but asking for a percentage of the business is nuts.

Maybe in a couple years when he's earned it with consistent sales and the business grows, but after 2 months is purely greedy. This is the type of entitlement I keep hearing people accuse millennials of (ie. expecting something without putting in the time). Sure, Dan's 70 and he doesn't have a lot of time to set himself up for retirement - but his poor money management and lack of planning isn't Ben's fault. Did Dan ever sell his bike?
Old 04-03-21, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I agree that Dan is definitely being a baby.

I can understand giving him a raise and even getting a commission for every contractor sale he brings in... but asking for a percentage of the business is nuts.

Maybe in a couple years when he's earned it with consistent sales and the business grows, but after 2 months is purely greedy. This is the type of entitlement I keep hearing people accuse millennials of (ie. expecting something without putting in the time). Sure, Dan's 70 and he doesn't have a lot of time to set himself up for retirement - but his poor money management and lack of planning isn't Ben's fault. Did Dan ever sell his bike?
Agree. Hope we get a scene where Dan apologizes to Ben after coming to his senses.
Old 04-06-21, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like two episodes back to back this week...

Last edited by mickey65; 04-06-21 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-06-21, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Looks like two episodes back to back tonight...
Tonight? Isn't it Wednesday show?
Old 04-06-21, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Finale should be coming up pretty soon I would think. I'm pretty sure the season started back in October.
Old 04-06-21, 10:46 AM

Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth View Post
Finale should be coming up pretty soon I would think. I'm pretty sure the season started back in October.
Some sources say that Wednesday's two episodes is the season finale. However, the IMDB shows an episode with a title for April 14, and untitled slots for two more episodes. The finale will be dedicated to a crewmember who passed away.
Old 04-06-21, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe View Post
Tonight? Isn't it Wednesday show?
Fixed it. Sorry, forgot what day it was today! LOL
Old 04-07-21, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I wasn't expecting that. Two great episodes back to back. And probably the two best "Conners" episodes yet. Everything just worked. It had both laughs and tears.
Old 04-07-21, 09:36 PM

Now Ben looks like a dick. After what happened to Molly, Darlene should still go to Hawaii - and cash in Ben's ticket for extra spending money!
Old 04-07-21, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now Ben looks like a dick. After what happened to Molly, Darlene should still go to Hawaii - and cash in Ben's ticket for extra spending money!
Agree. Pretty heavy two episodes overall tonight. It's too bad Molly won't be around for more fun. She could have created some serious relationship problems for Ben and Darlene taking her out partying (and traveling). BTW, yet another glaring continuity issue on the writers part. Molly didn't have a mother when she was on "Roseanne". I don't recall why. But it was just her sister and dad. And why didn't Jackie say something like "been there" when Molly asked if she were married. Or maybe even "briefly". Something cute and clever as a nod to her marriage with Fred. I guess they are never going to address him and Andy at this point.
Old 04-07-21, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
BTW, yet another glaring continuity issue on the writers part. Molly didn't have a mother when she was on "Roseanne".
Dad could've remarried. I think she was just referred to as "Mrs Tilden" by Becky with no instance of Molly saying "Mom" -- just from memory so I could be wrong.
Old 04-08-21, 06:03 AM

I remember when Molly took Darlene to a concert with her and then ditched her.
Old 04-08-21, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Without looking it up, what band played at the concert?

Two hints:
1. It was the name of a real band, but so weird that I bet most viewers thought it was made up.
2. They were so obscure, it was highly doubtful they'd play a large auditorium and that tickets would be scarce (Darlene was stunned that Molly was able to get tickets). Their biggest exposure was having one of their videos ridiculed on Beavis and Butthead.
Old 04-08-21, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Two hints:
1. It was the name of a real band, but so weird that I bet most viewers thought it was made up.
2. They were so obscure, it was highly doubtful they'd play a large auditorium and that tickets would be scarce (Darlene was stunned that Molly was able to get tickets). Their biggest exposure was having one of their videos ridiculed on Beavis and Butthead.
HA! Was it a one word band? Super heavy metal?? That's all I can remember.

Edit: Just looked it up. Hint to others. It's two words. And I too thought it was made up.
Old 04-08-21, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Two words, British. Not heavy metal. I own their first record, and I was hoping they'd appear in the episode but they did not.

Last hint, they used that 90s trend of combining two vastly different phrases that had a common word. Like Camper Van Beethoven, Full Nelson Reilly, or a local band near me called Sugartwin Reverb.
Old 04-08-21, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What was the point in bringing Molly back just for that??
Old 04-08-21, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm reading it's to send Darlene into a mid-life crisis, although I'm not sure how we'd even be able to recognize it.

They seem to already be going down that path, as she's debating whether or not to plan for her future (sell the Hawaii tickets) or pounce on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. While cashing in the tix could help her and Ben find a place of their own while still helping Dan with the mortgage, it's highly unlikely they'll ever be able to afford a trip to Hawaii. Seeing what happened to Molly will make her see that death is not as far away as she'd like to believe, it could happen at any second.
Old 04-08-21, 01:44 PM

Received 364 Likes on 222 Posts

I checked my guess, which was
Spoiler:
The Jets

...but it turns out that was from an episode of...
Spoiler:
Huh, I have no idea, weren't they on Saved by the Bell or The Cosby show or something?

Old 04-08-21, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think that was indeed The Cosby Show, Story...

and one other thing,

Let's get it straight: Darlene ditched Molly after the concert; Molly wanted to hang around the parking lot and smoke pot with some boys (and presumably do more than smoke pot), so Darlene took the car and left Molly there.
The following users liked this post:
story (04-09-21)
Old 04-08-21, 04:05 PM

I think that was indeed The Cosby Show, Story...

and one other thing,

Let's get it straight: Darlene ditched Molly after the concert; Molly wanted to hang around the parking lot and smoke pot with some boys (and presumably do more than smoke pot), so Darlene took the car and left Molly there.
No, Darlene was left behind and had to take a cab all the way home. Roseanne laid into her as soon as she walked in the door and then told her about the waiting cab and Dan ran out to pay the fare.
story (04-09-21)
Old 04-08-21, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, Darlene was left behind and had to take a cab all the way home. Roseanne laid into her as soon as she walked in the door and then told her about the waiting cab and Dan ran out to pay the fare.
Yeah, you're right now that I think about it. Molly stayed, and Darlene took the cab home.

Dan and Roseanne didn't believe her, until Molly called from the road and said that the two of them ran into car trouble but were on their way. Since Darlene was already home, they knew Molly was lying.

BUT, do you remember the who the band was? Hmmmmmm?
story (04-09-21)
Old 04-08-21, 04:54 PM

Yeah, you're right now that I think about it. Molly stayed, and Darlene took the cab home.

Dan and Roseanne didn't believe her, until Molly called from the road and said that the two of them ran into car trouble but were on their way. Since Darlene was already home, they knew Molly was lying.

BUT, do you remember the who the band was? Hmmmmmm?
No, don't remember the band (altho I did just look it up and put as a spoiler)! I also remember that Roseanne liked Molly's sister Charlotte a lot. Mara Hobel also played little Christina Crawford in Mommie Dearest.
Spoiler:
Name of band: Daisy Chainsaw

story (04-09-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.