Reload this Page >

The Conners (ABC) - Season 3 Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-26-20, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Saw a commercial for this tonight. Premieres on Wednesdays this Fall, new night. Didn't realize it was back in production and found this online. I get the no studio audience. But will they use a laugh track? And yes, I know a laugh track was mostly used before. But it will be strange with no laughing at all.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/the-con...ll-1203015179/v
Old 08-27-20, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 772 Likes on 575 Posts
Re: The Conners (ABC) - Season 3 Thread

1st promotional photo

Old 08-27-20, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^^^ That's cute.
Old 08-29-20, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Smart to use the quilt on the couch for the masks. They did another thing with the quilt in a past promo.

DJ can just keep the mask on at all times - he barely says anything anyways.
Old 08-30-20, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow. Little DJ has grey hair in that photo. Everyone's getting old.
Old 09-02-20, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Give Metfcalf is 65 and Goodman is 68 really surprised this is back to filming.
Old 10-21-20, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Overall I thought it was a solid premiere. I felt they handled today's subject matter appropriately. Having Darlene and Becky end up at the Wellman factory was a nice/retro touch. It was also a very emotional moment between the two sisters. Both Gilbert and Goranson continue to impress me with their performances. When they cry, it hits me every time.
Old 10-21-20, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Smart to use the quilt on the couch for the masks. They did another thing with the quilt in a past promo.

DJ can just keep the mask on at all times - he barely says anything anyways.
"DJ" will be directing an upcoming episode. I hope he can stand up to the added workload.
Old 10-21-20, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
"DJ" will be directing an upcoming episode. I hope he can stand up to the added workload.
Oh my. And just how is he qualified to direct anything?
Old 10-22-20, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Supposedly no Estelle Parsons this season until it is safe enough for her to travel.
Old 10-22-20, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

John Goodman does not look good at all. What's up with that haircut?
Old 10-22-20, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
Wondered about that too.
Old 10-22-20, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
Overall I thought it was a solid premiere. I felt they handled today's subject matter appropriately. Having Darlene and Becky end up at the Wellman factory was a nice/retro touch. It was also a very emotional moment between the two sisters. Both Gilbert and Goranson continue to impress me with their performances. When they cry, it hits me every time.
Well, I'm glad someone liked it. I thought the only funny part was the clip with Clooney.
Old 10-22-20, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe View Post
Well, I'm glad someone liked it. I thought the only funny part was the clip with Clooney.
I wish they hadn't included that, and just left it as "he looked like George Clooney" as an inside joke to the more knowledgeable fans.
Old 10-22-20, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 509 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
Looks like he lost some weight between seasons. I remember a few years back he lost quite a bit of weight, too, and I thought he might be sick.

The hair, I assume, is meant to be social isolation hair.
Old 10-22-20, 03:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I like how Darlene and Becky still snipe back and forth at each other. The hooker comment was an LOL for me.
Old 10-22-20, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Looks like he lost some weight between seasons. I remember a few years back he lost quite a bit of weight, too, and I thought he might be sick.

The hair, I assume, is meant to be social isolation hair.
Same with Jackie's gray roots.
Old 10-23-20, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The flashback was just really just a way to show "hey, Clooney was on this show before he got famous!"

I never understood how the magazine was going to make money anyways. I really can't see many people reading it in the first place to generate that many advertisers.

I said this a season or two ago, but it's really depressing that no one in this family can move forward, and they're still clawing for cash.
Old 10-24-20, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I never understood how the magazine was going to make money anyways. I really can't see many people reading it in the first place to generate that many advertisers.
Agree. I'll go one step further. How many criminals/thugs does Landford have that could fill a monthly magazine? Or is it weekly.....quarterly? Better yet, who would buy that crap? I've never even heard of such a magazine anywhere. I live in Arlington Virginia, three miles outside of D.C., and I don't know of any magazine like this in my area.
Old 10-24-20, 07:04 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
Agree. I'll go one step further. How many criminals/thugs does Landford have that could fill a monthly magazine? Or is it weekly.....quarterly? Better yet, who would buy that crap? I've never even heard of such a magazine anywhere. I live in Arlington Virginia, three miles outside of D.C., and I don't know of any magazine like this in my area.
There is/was a weekly newspaper that came out called "Busted!". Lots of cities carried it and had the local arrests with mug shots in it. I think its mostly an on-line thing now. I worked for one company where one of the managers would look thru it every week to make sure none of their employees showed up in it - and if they did, they were gone!
Old 10-24-20, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But that magazine wasn't just highlighting a specific city, right? It was carried throughout a lot of cities - which probably means it was covering criminals from multiple cities.
Landford's a small town - how many criminals are there... and how many potential readers are there?

Also, her article about the bank screwing people over during the pandemic seems VERY off-topic for that magazine. And she was upset about her dream of writing going up in smoke with the death of the magazine - but was it really going to amount to anything anyway being written in this very small, very niche and content-unrelated publication? She would have a better shot at continuing to write freelance and just trying to sell articles piece-meal to real magazines and newspapers.
Old 10-24-20, 10:29 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

One small thing that bugs me is that if they are hurting for money so bad, and losing their house, they sure seem to spend a lot on (unknown brand) bottled beer. If they were just drinking cans of Natural Light, I'd find it more believable.
Old 10-24-20, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

How does Dan not own his house yet? I guess he could have refinanced to a longer end date or maybe they had a 40 year mortgage. Maybe he took out a home equity loan or something. Wouldn't their house have to be in forclosure already for them to be evicted?

Also, people in Illinois don't say "stand on line". It's "stand in line" here.
Old 10-24-20, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom View Post
How does Dan not own his house yet? I guess he could have refinanced to a longer end date or maybe they had a 40 year mortgage. Maybe he took out a home equity loan or something. Wouldn't their house have to be in forclosure already for them to be evicted?
I guess during the 20 years that lapsed offscreen Dan had troubles getting drywall contract jobs and maybe took out a second mortgage on the house to stay alive?
Can't remember if Dan still has his bike. Sell it.

I dunno, you figure after all these years that someone in the family would've gotten their shit together and be a little more financially secure.
Old 10-24-20, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 509 Likes on 372 Posts

Landford's a small town - how many criminals are there... and how many potential readers are there?
Like most tv towns, it's of an ambiguous size. When they need it to be a small town, it's a small town, but then it can be big enough to support a shopping mall and community college. (See Sunnydale on Buffy the Vampire Slayer as a perfect example. It can be a sleepy little town where the kids have nothing to do a Friday night to housing a four-year college with fraternities.)

If it has/had a mall, then it's probably safe to assume it has a population of about 50,000. As such, there are probably a decent amount of arrests for DUI and domestic incidents.

I doubt a magazine filled with mugshots would be very popular unless it was something like an ad-supported tabloid that was given away free at newsstands, sort of like those local music papers that list upcoming concerts and performances. I don't see many people going out of their way to buy such a publication, but they might pick it up free if it's near the exit door of a grocery store where they keep the real estate books and stuff like that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.