TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Does Breaking Bad ever get good?

Old 08-23-12, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 659 Likes on 463 Posts
Re: Does Breaking Bad ever get good?

Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
Well I just finished season 2, so SHHH!

The last 4-5 episodes finally got me to the point of being impatient for the next one ,but the finale pissed me off. All season they keep hinting towards something big with that damn pink teddy bear fished out of the pool and such
Spoiler:
only to have it be an unrelated plane crash overhead. I was also liking Jesse's girlfriend until she turned into a bitch. I was happy she died.

As for her dad, was he just not able to focus on his job, causing the crash, or did they not hear him or what? I couldn't understand what happened there.
It wasn't unrelated.

Spoiler:
by letting Jane die he set in motion the chain reaction that caused the plane crash. Daddy was too distraught to be on such a high pressure job so soon after.
Old 08-24-12, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
It wasn't unrelated.
Well, unrelated compared to what I thought it could be. I thought some big event actually happens in the house.
Old 08-24-12, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, this is one of my fave shows ever, but the 'big event' at the end of season 2 is kind of lame. Walt would be so far down the list of people who are responsible for that. Few consider that a high-point of the show.

Walt does kind of make up for it with the awesome speech to the school later though, lol. "I blame the government."
Old 08-24-12, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by AVP77 View Post
Yeah, this is one of my fave shows ever, but the 'big event' at the end of season 2 is kind of lame. Walt would be so far down the list of people who are responsible for that. Few consider that a high-point of the show.
I still maintain that the event
Spoiler:
would have worked a lot better without all the foreshadowing leading up to it for the entire season. When you foreshadow something like that, you expect there to be actual major consequences for the characters you know. While the event was something that would be a huge event in real life, it didn't directly affect any of the characters that we knew, making it seem like a bit of a cheat.

If there wasn't any of the foreshadowing leading up to it, it still would have been a bit of a random wtf-level event, but it wouldn't have felt like as much of a cheat.
Old 08-24-12, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by xVladx View Post
I still maintain that the event
Spoiler:
would have worked a lot better without all the foreshadowing leading up to it for the entire season. When you foreshadow something like that, you expect there to be actual major consequences for the characters you know. While the event was something that would be a huge event in real life, it didn't directly affect any of the characters that we knew, making it seem like a bit of a cheat.

If there wasn't any of the foreshadowing leading up to it, it still would have been a bit of a random wtf-level event, but it wouldn't have felt like as much of a cheat.
I think the problem was that season 2 was written with a specific payoff in mind so everything was written to build to that moment which made it seem a little forced when they got there.

I read somewhere that was the only season that knew what it was building to. All other seasons thereafter just let the plots and situations grow from episode to episode with no particular end in mind.
Old 08-24-12, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 691 Likes on 559 Posts

The Season 2 finale through the first few episodes of Season 3 was the series low point for me. Well that and Fly.
Old 08-24-12, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even after 16 pages, I still maintain there's a very simple answer to the original question that I posed:

NO.
Old 08-24-12, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 659 Likes on 463 Posts

The fact that this show gains viewers every year whereas every other show loses them kinda disproves your stance.
Old 08-24-12, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know why, but everytime I see this thread title, I get more and more pissed off.
Old 08-24-12, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by freshticles View Post
I don't know why, but everytime I see this thread title, I get more and more pissed off.
You have no idea how happy that makes me.
Old 08-25-12, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
You have no idea how happy that makes me.
You have no idea how stupid this makes you sound.
Old 08-25-12, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dolphinboy must live under a bridge and have some magical powers, even though he started this thread.
Old 08-25-12, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by freshticles View Post
I just laugh hysterically every time I see it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://swf.tubechop.com/tubechop.swf?vurl=gzpkPy7H700&start=29&end=36&cid=499073"></param><embed src="http://swf.tubechop.com/tubechop.swf?vurl=gzpkPy7H700&start=29&end=36&cid=499073" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-25-12, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
You have no idea how stupid this makes you sound.
Not stupid enough to resort to name-calling.
Old 08-31-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Caught "Mandala" and "Phoenix" from S2 last night... HOLY SHIT!! Great episodes right there. I just ordered S3 Blu as well. I'm absolutely loving this show and watching Walt develop from a push-over at the Car Wash job to a total hard ass.
Old 08-31-12, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Everytime I see this thread title I get pissed
Old 08-31-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 325 Likes on 232 Posts

Figured this would be a appropriate thread for this; here's a guy girl who lays into Breaking Bad, deconstructing it, basically revealing that it's a case of Emperor w/o clothes.

While I still love BB, I can't really disagree with a lot of what he she says.

But at least he she gives REASONS, unlike the OP.
(oh, and it contains spoilers up to the most recent episode)

http://badassdigest.com/2012/08/30/w...s-been-a-jerk/

Last edited by slop101; 08-31-12 at 11:53 AM. Reason: gender
Old 08-31-12, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

People getting angry because someone doesn't like the same show they do is funny to me.
Old 08-31-12, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Figured this would be a appropriate thread for this; here's a guy girl who lays into Breaking Bad, deconstructing it, basically revealing that it's a case of Emperor w/o clothes.

While I still love BB, I can't really disagree with a lot of what he she says.

But at least he she gives REASONS, unlike the OP.
(oh, and it contains spoilers up to the most recent episode)

http://badassdigest.com/2012/08/30/w...s-been-a-jerk/
Yeah... I can't say I really agree with most of that at all. I'll probably post a response to that in the thread for the current episode, since it'd be a bit spoiler-heavy for this thread, given that there's lots of people who aren't caught up in here.
Old 08-31-12, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 325 Likes on 232 Posts

The main thing I agree with that article about (which is the show's main failing) is that, while very well-acted, the characters have very little depth, certainly not as much as characters from similarly praised shows like Mad Men, Wire, etc.
Old 08-31-12, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 691 Likes on 559 Posts

I disagree with that, while focused on a single main plotline, I feel like they've fleshed many of the characters out very well -- impressively subtle in some instances. More so than Mad Men imo which strikes me as a little more overt in what you should be thinking, I know most would disagree.

I especially like it with Walt, it's rare where you get a show where a generally good guy starts following a Hollywood notion of what a badass is and cannot properly pull it off while thinking he can, and then have it round back, start crumbling in on itself and (at least I think it's coming) bite him in the ass. I like how much emphasis on tone there is in a lot of the conversations.

That said, all imo. The show is still basically a giant an outlandish look at the meth trade, and it's a fun ride above all else.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-31-12 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-04-12, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Just finished season four. WHooo! What a ride!

The scene at the end of the finale with
Spoiler:

Jesse and Walt walking out of the laundry as it exploded was badass!

Looking forward to starting in on season five tonight.
Old 09-04-12, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Finished S2 last night... the
Spoiler:
plane crash
was a total cop-out but visually cool. Also, Skyler is a beeeyatch... that is all.
Old 09-06-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also finished S2 last night.

Agreed on the cop-out. They build that up throughout the season, show us some very intriguing shots, and then... it's the equivalent of a fart in the wind.

Here's what I know:

Walter White is an asshole who makes rash, impulsive, occassionally (frequently?) stupid decisions.

Skyler is a total bitch. Complete and total bitch.

I like Walt, Jr. I like it even more that they cast a kid with his actual condition on the show.

Marie is annoying. And a bitch.

Jessie reminds me of my brother in some ways. Well, how he used to be, at least.

I really like the show, but I'm also feeling like it gets overly praised. Maybe that's because there isn't a lot of GREAT shows on TV, but some of the writing just... bothers me. Like all the stuff with the event at the end of S2 and Jane's dad. Too coincidental, and really nothing more than an elaborate ruse.
Old 09-06-12, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

The best is yet to come. S3 and S4 will show you why it gets the praise it does.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.