TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Does Breaking Bad ever get good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-11, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Does Breaking Bad ever get good?

Originally Posted by xVladx
I've rewatched S1-3 on Netflix recently, and from what I can tell, it's only the first episode that's been cut. Any swearing has been silenced, and there are at least three scenes that noticed were missing right off the bat:

1: There's a scene after Walt's birthday party where his Skyler gives him a handjob in bed. She's on the computer the whole time (checking an eBay auction, if I remember correctly), and obviously kind of phoning it in.

2. At some point before Walt's cancer diagnosis, some of Walt's students end up getting their car wiped down by him. There's lots of laughing, and I recall one of them taking a picture with their phone. Basically yet another embarrassing situation for Walt.

3. After Walt passes out at the car wash, there's a scene that takes place during the ambulance ride to the hospital. Walt's asking the EMT who's checking him out if they could just leave him outside the hospital, since he doesn't have the best insurance. The EMT says that he can't do it, and asks if Walt smokes, foreshadowing that something's seriously wrong with him.

Now, none of these scenes are absolutely essential, but they're all good scenes in and of themselves, and really help paint a picture of Walt before he finally breaks bad.
Why would #2 and #3 be cut?
Old 12-21-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am really dissapointed with the new direction the show is gonna take in 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtZpo89mmJo
Old 12-21-11, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114
Why would #2 and #3 be cut?
Actually, it was more for time than for content. When the pilot originally aired, it was longer than the standard episode. For re-airs, though, the edited version that's currently on Netflix was put together, so it would fit into the standard TV-length timeslot.
Old 12-21-11, 05:02 PM

I'm with the original poster on this one, watched 3 espisodes of season 1 on Netflix and gave up, none of the characters were likeable and the overall plot was boring. I had the same reaction to Weeds, where I lasted for an entire season, Mad Men same story.
Old 12-21-11, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
Nope. That would be 1. The Wire and 2. The Shield. Then comes Breaking Bad.
As much as I enjoyed The Wire, I don't think it deserved the universal acclaim it received. I never cared for The Shield. Breaking Bad is still better than both.
Old 12-22-11, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 130 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
As much as I enjoyed The Wire, I don't think it deserved the universal acclaim it received. I never cared for The Shield. Breaking Bad is still better than both.
I was bored out of my mind by The Wire and gave up on it.

I don't know how anyone could be bored by Breaking Bad, but to each his own.
Old 12-22-11, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Yeah, that's the thing that's really baffling me. Sure, I can see someone maybe not liking the characters, or finding the subject matter too dark, but boring? Especially after only the first three episodes? Given how much stuff happens in them, I can't quite see how they can be anything even remotely approaching boring.
Old 12-22-11, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xVladx
Yeah, that's the thing that's really baffling me. Sure, I can see someone maybe not liking the characters, or finding the subject matter too dark, but boring? Especially after only the first three episodes? Given how much stuff happens in them, I can't quite see how they can be anything even remotely approaching boring.
Since we've all seen the first few episodes I have to agree. I was gripped after the pilot. I just wanted to see what happens next, which means a serialized show is doing its job. I forgot what episode it was in, but how could anyone be bored after Jesse dissolved a guy's body in acid in his bathtub?
Old 12-22-11, 10:27 PM

I was bored out of my mind by The Wire and gave up on it.

How far did you get with The Wire? I watched the first 4 or 5 episodes and then stopped watching it because I wasn't that impressed. I then went back and started again a bit later and ended up loving it and rank it as one of the absolute best shows I've seen. They spend a heap of time on character development during the first season that they don't need to spend as much time on in later seasons.

Compare that to the Shield where I would imagine most people get hooked by the end of the pilot, for obvious reasons if you have watched it.
Old 12-23-11, 12:35 AM

Received 130 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by HaydosMang
How far did you get with The Wire? I watched the first 4 or 5 episodes and then stopped watching it because I wasn't that impressed. I then went back and started again a bit later and ended up loving it and rank it as one of the absolute best shows I've seen. They spend a heap of time on character development during the first season that they don't need to spend as much time on in later seasons.

Compare that to the Shield where I would imagine most people get hooked by the end of the pilot, for obvious reasons if you have watched it.

Yeah, a lot of people got bored by Mad Men as well as The Wire. I love Mad Men now, and I've been told to revisit the Wire and I'll be rewarded.

If those HBO box sets weren't so damn expensive I'd probably buy it.
Old 12-23-11, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Yeah, a lot of people got bored by Mad Men as well as The Wire. I love Mad Men now, and I've been told to revisit the Wire and I'll be rewarded.

If those HBO box sets weren't so damn expensive I'd probably buy it.
Think of each season of The Wire as a novel with each episode being a chapter. It will start out slow and then build to something great.
Old 12-23-11, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well I have just signed up to this forum because I have spent the last few hours trying to find some people who share my views on Breaking Bad and it looks like I found some!

I agree completely with the OP. I have just finished watching episode 6 and am considering just throwing in the towel. The final straw for me was the introduction of the character of Tuco. What the hell? So much of that character doesn't make any sense.

1. He lets complete strangers walk straight into his compound carrying huge bags of meth?
2. He is a complete psycho yet he manages to dominate the drug trade and not get caught.
3. He beats up Jesse, but when Walt comes in and asks for more money and then blows up his compound he gives him the cash?
4. He doesnt kill Walt for blowing up his compound?

Compare Marlo Stanfield, Proposition Joe, or any other drug dealer type from the Wire with Tuco. Breaking Bad is not a good show. Over acted and badly directed.

Also, can someone explain to me why Walt's son has CP? Do they try and turn that in a plot line at all? I don't understand that casting decision at all.
I agreed with this poster and with the OP at first. Seasons 1 and 2 of this show weren't bad, and I like them more re-watching them than I did the first time around, but I really didn't "get" why this show was so great. I wasn't very interested in any of the characters. But once season 3 started, I was fucking in. The way season 3 and especially season 4 play out is amazing. Sitting through seasons 1 and 2, even if you're not totally interested, is well worth it, just so you can get to 3 and 4.
Old 12-23-11, 11:22 PM
Banned

You need to watch more than 4 or 5 episodes. You haven't even scratched the surface.
Old 03-16-12, 05:00 PM

Just thought I'd chim in since I just started through Breaking Bad and have finished the first season. I thought every episode was fantastic so I'm excited that it gets even better. Not sure how anyone could find it boring! I'm glad the show has a good amount of humor mixed in with the dark subject matter.
Old 03-28-12, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't stop watching it. I'm just a few episodes into Season 2 where Walt's brother in law kills Tuco.

I have a couple of nagging questions which I suppose I should just let go but here goes:

- Walt is a school teacher. Why would he not have insurance or why would his insurance not cover his cancer treatments? Public school employees have excellent benefits.

- They are depicted as living paycheck to paycheck. So why is Skyler sitting around the house all day and not working? (They also have a pool which destitute people usually don't have.)

- Did I miss what happened to Walt and Gray Matter? Does that explanation come later? Did I doze off?
Old 03-28-12, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did I miss what happened to Walt and Gray Matter? Does that explanation come later? Did I doze off?
They never really explain it. You're supposed to piece it together and infer from context.
Old 03-28-12, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Enjoy the show, it gets better each season.
Old 03-28-12, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

- Walt is a school teacher. Why would he not have insurance or why would his insurance not cover his cancer treatments? Public school employees have excellent benefits.
I can't speak to New Mexico, but I know with my mother's benefits, not everything is covered. While yes the benefits are excellent, there is a lot of out of pocket expenses.

It is not outside of the realm of possibility that he simply can't pay it even with the insurance. That isn't exactly explained, but good health care is affordable...if you want Magic Johnson level care, these things cost money.
Old 03-28-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
They never really explain it. You're supposed to piece it together and infer from context.
Hmm. Bummer. It seems that Walt and that dude created a company that he's entitled to half of. They show Walt with that woman who is now the wife of the owner of Gray Matter. I'm assuming the woman went with the owner and Walt walked away.
Old 03-28-12, 04:13 PM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts

Damn, I wish I could watch this show for the first time all over again!
Old 03-28-12, 04:16 PM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
Enjoy the show, it gets better each season.
I agree with this for the most part. It really hit its stride in season 2 and peaked creatively in season 3. I view season 4 as staying on the same peak instead of establishing a new one (if that makes sense).

Either way, such an impressive show in nearly every level.
Old 03-28-12, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmm. Bummer. It seems that Walt and that dude created a company that he's entitled to half of. They show Walt with that woman who is now the wife of the owner of Gray Matter. I'm assuming the woman went with the owner and Walt walked away.
That's the general understanding, yeah. You got it.
Old 03-28-12, 07:26 PM

I just watched the Negro y Azul episode in Season 2, and that's what it sounded like. I was/am still confused about why someone would turn down free money for cancer care and instead decide to undertake an extremely risky/dangerous/illegal activity to pay for it instead. There must be something more going on than just pride and not wanting someone else's charity. I'd ask if this was explained further on in the series but I don't want to be spoiled.

And the scene with the tortoise in the desert...
Old 03-28-12, 08:50 PM

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but the uncut version of the pilot (which, last I checked, Netflix isn't showing), established that Walt's insurance isn't that great, as he didn't even want to be dropped off at the hospital after passing out at the car wash.

- They are depicted as living paycheck to paycheck. So why is Skyler sitting around the house all day and not working? (They also have a pool which destitute people usually don't have.)
Uhhh.. Skyler's quite pregnant at this point in the series, so that's why she'd be staying home. In any case, her work situation is something that's a factor later on in the series, so I'm going to let you find the rest out for yourself.

As far as the pool, I don't know how it is in Albuquerque, but pools are fairly common in some areas. I lived in the Orlando area for a bit a few years back, and pools seemed to be a LOT more common in even the mid-level homes (like the one shown in Breaking Bad) than they were in other areas I've lived.

- Did I miss what happened to Walt and Gray Matter? Does that explanation come later? Did I doze off?
As Tracer Bullet said, it's never really explained fully. You do get a little more information later on in S2, but it ends up being one of those things where you never really know what actually happened, but once you're more familiar with how Walt tends to act, you can kind of guess how things went down given the information that's presented.

I'll let you know that your guess is a bit off, though

I was/am still confused about why someone would turn down free money for cancer care and instead decide to undertake an extremely risky/dangerous/illegal activity to pay for it instead. There must be something more going on than just pride and not wanting someone else's charity. I'd ask if this was explained further on in the series but I don't want to be spoiled.
Thing is, as far as Walt goes, it's not like his pride as something you can call "just pride". He's portrayed as hugely prideful at several points throughout the series, first when turning down what was likely a job offer extended out of pity, then at several times afterwards.. for example (End of Season 2 spoiler):

Spoiler:
When Saul comes up with the perfectly working method of money laundering money through Walt Jr's charity website, Walt ends up pissed off that nobody knows that the money's coming from him.
Old 03-28-12, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bdshort
I just watched the Negro y Azul episode in Season 2, and that's what it sounded like. I was/am still confused about why someone would turn down free money for cancer care and instead decide to undertake an extremely risky/dangerous/illegal activity to pay for it instead. There must be something more going on than just pride and not wanting someone else's charity. I'd ask if this was explained further on in the series but I don't want to be spoiled.

And the scene with the tortoise in the desert...
Let's just say that Walt is a complicated man. You'll gain more insight the more you watch...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.