Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Does Breaking Bad ever get good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-12, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Does Breaking Bad ever get good?

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
2 eps left in S4... and, yea, some serious shit has gone down. These last 2 should be nailbiters.
Pay close attention. It's all right there. Hidden in plain sight.
Old 09-14-12, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
I take it you don't watch Mad Men?
I'm well aware of Ms. Hendricks' ample assets, but I also think they likely look like saggy water balloons outside of a well-fitted bra.
Old 09-14-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sydonesia
Pay close attention. It's all right there. Hidden in plain sight.
Well, if I had to guess
Spoiler:
Jesse gets himself close to Gus, kills him. Walt kills Tyrus. Not sure what'll happen with Mike. Somehow Walt gets back on top.

Don't confirm anything, just speculating now so I can see how right/wrong I am later.

Oh, and Beneke's fall was .
Old 09-14-12, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, serious question:

Once I'm done with S4, I want to watch the first half of S5. Unfortunately for me, my cable provider only has eps 6,7,8 on demand (and I don't know how soon they'll expire). Where else can I watch this? I was thinking Amazon through my Roku, but I'm sure it's $2 per episode. I'd do more research online, like AMC's website, but it's VERY EASY to see spoilers that ruin big moments. Thoughts?
Old 09-14-12, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Pay the $2 per episode.
Old 09-14-12, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I figured as much. Will do.

And WTF, it's not coming back until Summer '13? That's one helluva wait.
Old 09-15-12, 04:12 AM

Yeah, I got on board and caught up halfway through season 5. It sucked enough having to wait a week for each show, much less having to wait ten months.

Just out of curiosity, and if you can keep it spoiler-free, did you see the big payoff of season 4 coming? Because even with it thrown in my face, it didn't even sink in until a few minutes later. I watched it, was happy with the ending, turned it off, moved on to other things, and then I thought.......holy shit.

The first four-five minutes of season 5 might be the most analyzed piece of footage since the Zapruder film.
Old 09-15-12, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh no, I did NOT see that coming. Holy shit, indeed.

I will say that
Spoiler:
I thought Gus' walking out of the room, while effective in a "can't he just fucking die?!?" kind of way, was ridiculous. Once I got the gist of Walt's plan, I figured out about a min or two before the bomb went off that he'd linked it up to Tio's bell. Brilliant.

Also,
Spoiler:
why didn't Gus get in the car in the penultimate episode? I seriously doubt that he'd just assume out of thin air that his car is rigged or something. It made for great tension, but it also made no sense.

It appears AMC just started re-airing S5; the second episode is tomorrow. So, I'll pay to watch ep 1 on Amazon, and then I'll just DVR the remaining 6. I really can't wait to see where things go from here. I don't even know where they would go. That's one thing I'll definitely give this show credit for: you can't telegraph anyone's next move. These are very unpredictable characters.
Old 09-15-12, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/djaLf6bgFuU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is all kinds of awesome. Shows spoilers through the end of just aired S5. Grabbed it from Aaron Paul's twitter feed. I hope that it gets updated after the final 8.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 09-15-12 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-15-12, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Oh no, I did NOT see that coming. Holy shit, indeed.

I will say that
Spoiler:
I thought Gus' walking out of the room, while effective in a "can't he just fucking die?!?" kind of way, was ridiculous. Once I got the gist of Walt's plan, I figured out about a min or two before the bomb went off that he'd linked it up to Tio's bell. Brilliant.

Also,
Spoiler:
why didn't Gus get in the car in the penultimate episode? I seriously doubt that he'd just assume out of thin air that his car is rigged or something. It made for great tension, but it also made no sense.
Spoilers for up through the end of S4:
Spoiler:
Actually, it does make sense. The funny thing was, when it first aired, people were saying the same thing as you, that Gus crossed over from being a really smart guy to having spidey-sense, but given the reveal that Walt was the one who poisoned Brock in the S4 finale, it makes sense. When Gus went to see Jesse in the hospital, Jesse told him that Brock had been poisoned, probably just to gauge Gus' reaction. In doing so, though, he overplayed his hand. Gus knew that Walt was capable of desperate acts, and was enough of a chemist to be able to poison a kid. He realized that Walt managed to draw him out, and since he left his car unattended, he didn't want to risk heading back in case there was a trap.

It appears AMC just started re-airing S5; the second episode is tomorrow. So, I'll pay to watch ep 1 on Amazon, and then I'll just DVR the remaining 6. I really can't wait to see where things go from here. I don't even know where they would go. That's one thing I'll definitely give this show credit for: you can't telegraph anyone's next move. These are very unpredictable characters.
That's what I love about the show. The characters certainly aren't predictable, but they're still consistent. They've all got established personalities, and even though it's really hard to guess where they go next, their actions always make sense in the context of their established behaviors.
Old 09-15-12, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Your spoiler makes perfect sense. I sometimes forget that, in order to understand Gus' actions, you need to be inside the head of a calm, cool, collected drug lord who also needs to be ruthless, brutal, and, to a degree, paranoid.

The characters here sure as a consistent bunch, but they also act like they live in a vacuum. And everyone has got serious problems expressing their true emotions. Except Walt, Jr. He's a fucking saint compared to everyone else. I don't even want to get going on all my thoughts because I seriously feel like I could write a thesis. These people are so incredibly fucked up. I love it.
Old 09-15-12, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

That video reminds me... Out of everything in the show - I think the last five or ten minutes of Crawl Space is still the best.
Old 09-15-12, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by troystiffler
That video reminds me... Out of everything in the show - I think the last five or ten minutes of Crawl Space is still the best.
Nothing on television has ever freaked me out like the end of Crawl Space. It just had me pacing back and forth in near panic mode, wishing they would just hurry up and cut to the credits.
Old 09-15-12, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nothing on television has ever freaked me out like the end of Crawl Space. It just had me pacing back and forth in near panic mode, wishing they would just hurry up and cut to the credits.
Me too! Had me pretty freaked out fur sure.
Old 09-20-12, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just watched the season 3 episode "Fly". Worst, most annoying episode of the series so far. I could not wait for it to end. I know there was a big message in there somewhere, but I was too annoyed to appreciate it.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 09-21-12 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-20-12, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I just watched the season 3 episode "Fly". Worst, most annoying episode of the series so far. I could not wait for it to end. I know there was a big message in there somewhere, but I was to annoyed to appreciate it.
No. There isn't.

Just be pleased to know that's the last episode in the series that is anything like it.
Old 09-21-12, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No. There isn't.
The whole speech about the right moment to die, and telling Jessie about what's-her-name's dad in the bar had to mean something...
Old 09-23-12, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

<object width="416" height="374" classid="clsid<param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=showbiz/2012/09/23/art-of-breaking-bad.hln" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=showbiz/2012/09/23/art-of-breaking-bad.hln" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="416" wmode="transparent" height="374"></embed></object>

Found this on CNN.com. There are some very cool fan created art. Worth checking out. Breaking Bad is amazing!!! Can't do anything about the 30 sec. commercial.
Old 07-06-13, 03:16 PM

Breaking Bad is far and away the best show on TV right now, and this last season of Mad Men, to me at least, felt like relatively nothing new was happening.

I see what you're saying about the first few episodes dragging on about what to do with Crazy 8 and Emilio, but this show isn't about individual episodes so much as it is about the journey. If you were a law abiding citizen, a meek person like Walter White is at the start, the decision to kill another human being is going to be like a weight on your shoulders. This series needed to show that pace at the beginning, and you'll understand why as the show goes along.

If people are dropping like flies like it's nothing in the first episodes, than what is it going to mean when bodies drop later on in Seasons 3, 4 and 5? Unless you've killed someone before, I doubt it's going to be an easy process that you just shrug off, hence, three episodes.
Old 07-06-13, 03:18 PM

No, they were way over budget and had to do an episode that didn't have a big cast or lots of on-location shoots.

The big thing in this episode to me, is that Walt almost tells Jesse he let Jane die, but then changes his mind.
Old 07-06-13, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I just watched the season 3 episode "Fly". Worst, most annoying episode of the series so far. I could not wait for it to end. I know there was a big message in there somewhere, but I was too annoyed to appreciate it.
I found this online explanation of the Fly episode and found it one of the best written summaries. It does make it seem not so monotonous.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora/...b_2376255.html

Last edited by JuryDuty; 07-08-13 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-07-13, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

does sex ever gets good?