Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Heroes -- "How To Stop An Exploding Man" -- 05.21.2007

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very let down by this finale.

WHAT was that "Matrix Deja-Vu" effect that happened about 3- 4 times this episode? It happened once when Peter heard Nathans real thoughts about people dying in the blast, but with everyone else there was no thought hearing.

I think the best scene of the hour was that Bionic Woman clip. I'm down with that.
Old 05-21-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
When you drag out a story for 23 episodes and many months you have to have a payoff. This episode had nothing. No closure, no sense that anything was really solved. This entire season was bullshit and I'm pissed I wasted 23 hours of TV viewing on such a terrible finale.

That battle with Peter and Sylar needed to be big to pay off months of anticipation and the writers pissed it down their legs. I can only assume they ran out of money in the budget to do a decent finale.

Did I mention how stupid the not so subtle hint to the bigger villain was? Horrible, horrible finale.
100% correct.

The zero payoff season finale makes the entire season feel like it was an enormous waste of time. This may as well have been episode 5. I can't imagine how it could have been more disappointing.

"Save the cheerleader, save the world" huh? It may as well have been "Try New Folgers Crystals, save the world."

The only way I would remotely consider coming back for Volume 2 is a guarantee that we will never see or hear of anything resembling a "Nikki" sub-"plot" again, but even then I doubt it.

Last edited by Bill Needle; 05-21-07 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-21-07, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
When you drag out a story for 23 episodes and many months you have to have a payoff. This episode had nothing. No closure, no sense that anything was really solved. This entire season was bullshit and I'm pissed I wasted 23 hours of TV viewing on such a terrible finale.

That battle with Peter and Sylar needed to be big to pay off months of anticipation and the writers pissed it down their legs. I can only assume they ran out of money in the budget to do a decent finale.

Did I mention how stupid the not so subtle hint to the bigger villain was? Horrible, horrible finale.
i agree completely...most ridiculously lame finale i've ever seen. total and complete let down. may not even watch next year after that crap.
Old 05-21-07, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I love this show and I really liked the finale. It wasn't the best episode of the season but it was still good and I loved the ending.

The Peter vs. Sylar fight wasn't that great but, Peter doesn't exactly have a lot a offensive powers. It's been awhile since he used TK and he couldn't risk using the nuke power so he used Nikki super strength because she was right there.

I loved the end with Nathan finally thinking about someone else rather than himself. I think he's dead, Peter will probably show up sooner or later. And the beginning of volume 2 was great, it shows that they have some things planned out.

Can't wait 'til the fall, Heroes was without a doubt the best new show of the year!
Old 05-22-07, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty lame finale. What was the problem with shooting Peter in the head? It would temporarily kill him until they took the bullet out, then he would come back to life. They could have then just brought him to an empty area until he could master the power. And what good does it do for Nathan to fly him away? After the bomb goes off and Peter comes back, he's still gonna have that power to worry about and the same thing could happen again. Nathan's death was only for a temporary fix.

I hate when they do this crap in movies and tv shows where they eliminate all logic in order to keep the story going. Unless there was something i missed which disproves my points, this finale sucked bad.
Old 05-22-07, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by brizz
i agree completely...most ridiculously lame finale i've ever seen. total and complete let down. may not even watch next year
after that crap.
I agree with this. A horrible episode and lame finale. They teased a Peter and Sylar showdown all season and in the end it never really happened.

What was with Peter talking to the wheelchair guy and him basically talking about love nonsense telling Peter this is what makes him strong and will give him contol? This was nothing more than filler. In the end, he STILL could not contol this power, even though Sylar learned it in 5 minutes.

Speaking of Sylar, talk about going out like a p****! He had all day to react to Hiro. As far as Hiro, his big journey all season long including his training ended up being 1 strike.

I am not goign to even bother discussing the Nikki,DL,Micah storyline as that in the end was just a waste.
Old 05-22-07, 12:11 AM

I really liked the finale. Though I felt it was a bit rushed I was very entertained just like I was the entire series. That was my payoff... being entertained. That's why I watch television. I don't watch things that don't entertain me and I watched this show because it always entertained me, not because I thought "wow in 15 episodes I'm gonna get to see the greatest battle scene ever filmed."

It's NBCTV, not a major motion picture studio. They don't have money to drop sick special effects and top stunt men/women for fight scenes. Especially for shows no one really believes in at first. I've never seen anything resembling good F/X on TV. I don't expect Heroes to be any different until it hits theatres. But who knows? I think Heroes did really well in the ratings dept. so maybe they come back with a much bigger budget next season...

I loved the heroes coming together in the final scene. Loved Nikki helping out Peter, Micah getting them into the elevator, Hiro's return and stab, Peter telling Nikki "I got this.", Nathan coming in and helping avert disaster, Parkman firing away on Sylar only to have the bullets reversed on himself, and I loved that Sylar is still roaming around somewhere like a cockroach.

The peak at V2 was hot also. I also think Sulu is Takeo Kensei. At first when I saw Hiro land in an open field I thought we were finally gonna see him face off with a dinosaur, but when I saw the samurai-looking dudes I realized Sulu must be Kensei.

I think the Mama Petrelli theories are funny. Just because she is persuasive doesn't mean she is mini-Bilson. Unless, of course, HRG's power is that he tells good llies. And maybe Ando is Brave-Man. Nathan's wife's power could be that she can roll a wheelchair like no one's business. Although I do like the theory that Mrs. Petrelli is the one who can see Molly. I'll have to re-watch to see if Molly was gender-specific in describing Sauron, er, uh, the evil one.

I'll miss it this summer and I can't wait for next year.
Old 05-22-07, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by aktick
I hope Sylar turns "good" for S2.
Yeah, maybe his "death" will bring him a little humility and he'll stop thinking that only he deserves to be special.

Is this a repeat of the Lost "Exodus" thread or what?

Last edited by the big train; 05-22-07 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-22-07, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well the finally was nothing spectacular, with no real Holy Shit moments, but it was well done. At the end the heros finally came together and worked as a team and Nathan finally did something noble. I kinda figures Sylar would live, I mean hes probably the most bad ass villan ever on tv. To kill him would just be a shame. I think he turns good somewhere is season 2. As for the one who Molly cant see, My money is on one of the older generations of heros. Suspect #1 is Ma Patrelli.

As for the final fight. With Peter not really able to control his powers yet you couldnt really be expecting too much. At least the comic book held true and Hiro stoped him. The little snip of volume 2 we saw was pretty bad ass and a good way to keep us hoping for the next season.

Like I said beofre, it was nothing super awsome, but it did the job of wraping everything up while setting up a plot for the next season. You cant really ask for too much more.
Old 05-22-07, 12:25 AM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I thought this episode was just right. Just enough closure, just enough tease.

The best part of it for me was seeing all the heroes come together with a goal at the end to work together against Sylar. I think that was the point of the whole season wasn't it? To bring all these different storylines/people from all over the country to this one spot where they all figure out who each other is and what their roles are.

Now that they can form the 'Heroes' version of the Justice League we can move forward with some fights against some real enemies! Hopefully the ratings will be good enough tonight for NBC to let them bump up the show's budget for the CGI everyone seems to be whining about there not being enough of.

From what I have heard, they are all coming back...Peter, Nathan and Sylar.

I think its also been announced at the network upfronts last week that NBC has as a mid-season replacement a spinoff show called Heroes: Origins which is supposedly going to tell the stories of each Heroes ancestors. The description I read sounded like Tim Kring plans to look at each individual hero and their family dynasties which have been warring against each other for hundreds of years.

Sounds like it could be a bit over-reaching but then I never would have guessed this show would be as good as it turned out being either.

Not sure if any of this should be spoilered but I figure the season is over, so no point in doing so anymore.

Here's to hoping everyone watches this on DVD this summer and the show starts off with the huge ratings it deserves next fall!
Old 05-22-07, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Originally Posted by Timmio
Does Lex Luthor ever die? Did the X-men ever kill Magneto? Does Batman kill the Joker....in the comics??? Sometimes...but they always come back!

There is no reason to kill off Sylar yet. Wound him and his pride, yes, but you can not kill him. If you kill him, you find yourself trapped in the Spiderman formula. Every season we have to find a new "supervillan" that is badder than the last guy and then we gotta spend time building his character up before our Heroes meet him for the final battle in the end. Repeat...loose viewers...repeat...cancelled.

Now they have a chance to actually build something out of this. Perhaps Sylar retreats to the underground and ends up meeting other rejected heroes and instead of killing them he joins them. Meanwhile Peter, having survived his little problem, comes back and is now stronger than ever. He carries the guilt of causing his brother's death and vows to become a protector of all people and by doing so he becomes a "super" hero.

A great first season. They've built really strong core characters, so now they can really let loose.

I guess I'll have to get my Xmen fix by watching the 4400 now...
Great insight, I will co-sign.

Originally Posted by zuffy
I am a bit disappointed with the fight between Sylar and Peter. That was too fast and not enough action. I hope Sylar didn't die yet. There is too much potential with Sylar and Peter in the storyline to be waste in 1 season.
Horrible, horrible season finale. What an anti-climactic end to the big showdown they've been building towards all season.
I thought it was a weak finale. Not enough action. The Peter Sylar showdown started at 9:50 PM EST.
Very very disappointing finale IMO, the set up for the Sylar and Peter showdown was weak, just a couple punches thrown, and Peter getting choked out. Ehhh. The thing with the bullets was cool, very Matrix-y. As the above poster mentioned, Sylar had plenty of time to react to Hiro, how about turn around and freeze him, or grab the sword and melt it down.

I did like the brief scene with Micah and Molly, very cool.

I wish they would have killed DL or Nikki, both characters are weak IMO.

I hope Parkman doesn't die

I am glad Sylar lived. Great character, and SOOOOOO much potential. Plus I like Zachary Quinto, I hope they keep him around.

Amazing show, very disappointing finale.

It's NBCTV, not a major motion picture studio. They don't have money to drop sick special effects and top stunt men/women for fight scenes. Especially for shows no one really believes in at first. I've never seen anything resembling good F/X on TV. I don't expect Heroes to be any different until it hits theatres. But who knows? I think Heroes did really well in the ratings dept. so maybe they come back with a much bigger budget next season...
I have seen better battles between characters in episodes of Smallville than this tripe. And you can't tell me the WB/CW gives Smallville more of a budget than heroes has. I am not asking for big budget over the top battles, but it could have at least lasted more than a couple minutes and not been so lame. Such a big season build up, then that was it? Weak. It doesn't take pricey special effects and CGI magic to make it a quality showdown. They could have very easily made this much better, and not go over budget, but that didn't happen. Shit the meeting in Suresh's apartment with Peter and Sylar was almost better than this.

Here's looking foreword to Season 2.
Old 05-22-07, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Having Sylar crawl away was a cop-out, but he is a good character played by a good actor, so I guess I can forgive that. It is kinda weak that the best part of the Peter/Sylar fight came from Nikki hitting Sylar with the parking meter.

Though I'm intreeged buy the guy who's "worse" than Sylar that can see Molly when she "thinks" of him.
Old 05-22-07, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Would've preferred a two hour finale, but I most definitely enjoyed what I saw.

At first, I thought it was Peter falling to the ground. When it was revealed that it was Hiro, I was waiting for the dinosaur...
Old 05-22-07, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love that Sylar lived. I just hated how much of a bitch he was made out to be. Hiro spends the last episode taking a crash course from Pops and then just rushes him and sticks him. It would have been nice to see something more prolonged there, as well as in the fight with Peter. I really was hoping for something a bit more epic considering how cool their little showdown "previews" were.
Old 05-22-07, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have seen better battles between characters in episodes of Smallville than this tripe. And you can't tell me the WB/CW gives Smallville more of a budget than heroes has. I am not asking for big budget over the top battles, but it could have at least lasted more than a couple minutes and not been so lame. Such a big season build up, then that was it? Weak. It doesn't take pricey special effects and CGI magic to make it a quality showdown. They could have very easily made this much better, and not go over budget, but that didn't happen. Shit the meeting in Suresh's apartment with Peter and Sylar was almost better than this.
Considering NBC's financial position right now, yeah, I believe that Smallville has a bigger budget.

I mean, heck, they put vinyl flooring in Bennett's house. That's really cheaping out!

Last edited by Shazam; 05-22-07 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-22-07, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Astro
The time travel stuff still confuses me.. What exactly changed the bomb not going off in this timeline? Was it the fact that Claire was alive and able to convince Nathan that fighting was the right thing to do?
As best as I can figure, there's three seperate timelines going at this point.

The original timeline had Sylar taking Claire's power, being stabbed by Hiro, regenerating, and exploding (the explosion Hiro saw when he went into the future in the beginning of the season). Five years later, Hiro goes into the past to tell Peter to "Save the cheerleader...", assuming that if Sylar can't get Claire's power, he'll kill him when he stabs him and prevent the explosion.

As soon as Hiro gives the message to Peter, the timeline changes to the one we saw in "Five Years Gone", where the future is largely unchanged. The bomb still went off (but now it was because of Peter, not Sylar).

Once Hiro returns from the future after "Five Years Gone", we get the third timeline, where Nathan apparently sacrifices himself to get Peter away from New York before he explodes. As for the cause of this third change, my best guess is that it's Hiro calling Nathan a "Villain" that does it. Since Hiro has gone into the future and sees what Nathan becomes (although he doesn't know that it's not Nathan), his accusation plants the seeds of change in Nathan. Perhaps if Hiro, who was always happy to see the "flying man" didn't turn against him, Nathan would have decided to get on the chopper and let Peter explode.
Old 05-22-07, 01:04 AM

Let the shipping begin! I'm for a Micah & Molly pairing in the future. Just think of the possibilities!
Old 05-22-07, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Wouldn't that be "Milly" or "Mocah"?
Old 05-22-07, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When Peter's hands started glowing, I wish they had played the theme from "The Last Dragon".

Nathan flying Peter out to space to explode reminded me of the series finale to "Johnny Socko and his Flying Robot".
Old 05-22-07, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lamest
Finale
Ever
Old 05-22-07, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheGodfather
The Graduation Day finale from Buffy had better production values and that was from ten years ago.

I'll agree with the rare few, what a lame finale.
Old 05-22-07, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just felt I had to post to counteract all the bile in here. I loved how they all came together at the end, though it would have been cool to see more of a group fight. I don't see how Parkman could have survived those bullets without a vest.

Whenever someone gets killed, I find myself thinking that it's a shame Peter didn't get to absorb their powers first (Linderman, the shape-shifter chick).
Old 05-22-07, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Matthew Chmiel I think you and I are long lost brothers
Old 05-22-07, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Scorpio
Just felt I had to post to counteract all the bile in here. I loved how they all came together at the end, though it would have been cool to see more of a group fight. I don't see how Parkman could have survived those bullets without a vest.

Whenever someone gets killed, I find myself thinking that it's a shame Peter didn't get to absorb their powers first (Linderman, the shape-shifter chick).
Did the shapeshifter chick die? I thought I just saw her get knocked out...

My uncle was shot 6 times at close range and lived, although he was hit with a .22.
Old 05-22-07, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, uh, whatever happened to that "Wireless" broad? Was the sole purpose of introducing her to be able to hype the debut of a new character on Deal or No Deal, or whatever the hell promo they used to debut her?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.