Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Heroes -- "How To Stop An Exploding Man" -- 05.21.2007

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-07, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
they should of takin sylar up with them, that would of been cool.

guess they want him around for season 2.

molly talkin about the dude worse than sylar was great.

i also don't understand why nathan had to fly peter up? maybe he couldn't use anymore powers at that moment? most likely they did it for the drama.

i thought it was pretty good overall. was hopin for a lil more being the finale and all but can't wait for next season.
Old 05-22-07, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Molly said "HE can see me" ...so it's not Ma.
Old 05-22-07, 04:13 AM

Molly's "he sees me" dude scares her more than Sylar, but that doesn't mean he's more powerful than Sylar.

Also, I don't see why Claire couldn't have just pumped a few rounds into Peter's chest. We've already established that collapsing unconscious (in the alley) stops his nuclear power, a fact Peter should have picked up on.
Old 05-22-07, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorpio
I loved how they all came together at the end, though it would have been cool to see more of a group fight.
I liked that too and the hints of a group fight against Sylar really had me jazzed. Sadly, what actually happened was a let down. Three punches, a hit with a parking meter, and a stabbing? I really wanted to see a better fight. Considering the powers of Hiro and Nikki there could have been more hand to hand stuff without going crazy with the SFX (which would keep the budget in check).

Hell, Heroes is a MUCH better show, but he action in the finale of Smallville blew this episode away. Freaking Smallville.

All in all the finale was an alright ending to an incredibly exciting season.

I still don't get the deal with Peter not getting shot. Why not just shoot him and then revive him since he had Claire's powers?
Old 05-22-07, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isaac got the panels out of order. That's why Hiro was able to surprise him. He dismissed that picture as being from their previous encounter.

Yep. slightly anti-climactic, but still great.

At least now they've all MET, fer cripessake...
Old 05-22-07, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I personally enjoyed the finale. While it would have been cool to see a dragged out Peter/Sylar fight using multiple powers, that's also been what everyone's been expecting and this show has always been about both defying expectations and treating the characters like real people. And the battle fits with Peter's character. He's not the bad-ass Peter from 5 years gone, he's the Peter who is unsure of himself and his abilities, the one who still feels he needs the help of his brother rather than having the confidence to do what needs to be done himself. And, unlike Sylar, he hasn't been spending months practicing with all the abilities he's absorbed (well, other than the invisibility), so, when in a fight, he resorts to standard fighting methods, using Niki's strength rather than anything more complex like TK or Hiro's time-stopping abilities.

Was there another way out for Nathan and Peter? Yeah, probably, but remember that these guys didn't have the luxury of sitting around speculating about how Peter could avoid exploding. Peter had stopped before when being knocked unconscious, but nobody knew for sure that that method would continue to be effective. And Nathan had been so conditioned to believe the explosion was inevitable that he really hadn't given much thought at all to how to prevent it and, at the last moment, simply did what came naturally to him to save his brother and the city.

So, disappointing on a visual, visceral level? Maybe, but the finale stayed true to the characters, so it remains effective and entertaining to me. Hopefully, this show will continue to avoid the cliches and will have events occur based on the characters themselves rather than fan expectations.
Old 05-22-07, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was cool to see Sylar get away, although expected. Maybe he was dragged away? That was blood smeared on the ground right? I can't imagine him only being able to crawl away and sitll being able ot lift the manhole cover.
Old 05-22-07, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

23 hours of build-up for a anti-climatic 2 minute fight.

It was still 1000x better then 24 though.
Old 05-22-07, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So this is the second vanishihng act type thing Sylar did, does anyone else think he def killed Claude.
Old 05-22-07, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I liked it. But I was hoping for more of a Neo/Smith type showdown between Sylar and Peter. Anyhow, the brother sacrafice was pretty lame IMO. But I did love how the group came together at the end. I'll definitley be back for next season.
Old 05-22-07, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Both Peter and Sylar are relatively new at using their powers. To think they would make the jump to some knock-down, drag-out "super-fight" it is a bit ridiculous. Remember the great encounter that was hinted at in the future episode was several years later (I think), once they had truly harnessed their potential. This just sets the stage in my opinion for bigger fights in future volumes.
Old 05-22-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Was slightly dissapointed with the lack of huge Peter/Sylar but overall was pleased.

To those that are complaining about Claire not shooting Peter. I'm guessing that shots to the body would not have done much as the regeneration is pretty quick. A shot to the head, at that close range, likely would have killed Peter. I'm pretty sure that the bullet simply wouldn't lodge in his brain to be easily removed later.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 05-22-07 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-22-07, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Dave
Both Peter and Sylar are relatively new at using their powers. To think they would make the jump to some knock-down, drag-out "super-fight" it is a bit ridiculous. Remember the great encounter that was hinted at in the future episode was several years later (I think), once they had truly harnessed their potential. This just sets the stage in my opinion for bigger fights in future volumes.
Exactly what I said... The point of the final wasnt to show a huge fight, but to bring the "heroes" together. Again, a little more action would have been good, but all in all I think they did it like they should have.

The guy Molly seen could possibly be the one to take him under his wing and show him how to really use his powers.
Old 05-22-07, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

forget this... one person is missing from the finale.... MR MUGGLES?
Old 05-22-07, 08:07 AM

even if the shapeshifter girl or whatever we are calling her passed out or died or whatever she changed back into annother shape. Losing the cloaking ability. Notice that she didnt look any different than she had in the past. In other words, I thought she was supposed to be fat?
Old 05-22-07, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Future Hiro spends all that time mapping this thing out, and his conclusion is "Save the Cheerleader save the world?" How about "kill the nuclear guy save the world?"
Old 05-22-07, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Achtung
I was trying to tie it somehow to Noah of Ark fame but... I got nothing.
That is what I thought of when I heard his name too. My take is he is there to save the heroes (from what I'm not sure of now... maybe like he was doing in Five Years Gone) just like Noah saved the animals from the flood.
Old 05-22-07, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Gasspasser
even if the shapeshifter girl or whatever we are calling her passed out or died or whatever she changed back into annother shape. Losing the cloaking ability. Notice that she didnt look any different than she had in the past. In other words, I thought she was supposed to be fat?

Yeah - I wanted her to transform into this fat slob - I guess they are saving that for a future episode
Old 05-22-07, 08:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I haven't read the whole thread (too long), so I'm sure this has been asked and answered: why didn't Peter just fly himself away? Seems like a HUGE plothole to me.

At any rate, I'm sure Nathan isn't dead. At the beginning of next season, we'll see that he flew away in time.

What happened to Claude? He was part of Peter's original "vision" so I expected him to turn up, but he never did.

Finally, did the ending remind anybody else of the ending of Evil Dead 2?
Old 05-22-07, 08:22 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
Methinks that the following happened (and I haven't read much of the thread so pardon repeats):

1. Nathan grabbed Peter and took off up into the sky, got him high enough that he wouldn't do harm and then dropped him and took off in the other direction (avoiding the blast).

2. Peter won't need to regenerate. Despite everything that Ted did, he never looked burned or hurt, so I think that Peter will be unscathed (except for the fall... unless Nathan came back and caught him on the way down).

3. Sylar can change more than metal into sludge. I think that he can change himself too... and he 'creeped' down the manhole in the TMNTville.

4. If there are any casualties, it would be Parkman, but they won't kill him off. Ted, Linderman and Thompson were enough.
Old 05-22-07, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
I haven't read the whole thread (too long), so I'm sure this has been asked and answered: why didn't Peter just fly himself away? Seems like a HUGE plothole to me.
I think he couldnt use any of his powers when he was exploding.
Old 05-22-07, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Finally, did the ending remind anybody else of the ending of Evil Dead 2?
Thanks, I felt serious deja vu at that, you've helped me identify why.
Old 05-22-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
I think he couldnt use any of his powers when he was exploding.
Yeah, my take was that he was focusing so much on not exploding that he couldn't use any other powers.
Old 05-22-07, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kaze0
It was cool to see Sylar get away, although expected. Maybe he was dragged away? That was blood smeared on the ground right? I can't imagine him only being able to crawl away and sitll being able ot lift the manhole cover.
Someone else mentioned this as well. Maybe he was dead or dying and the new supervillian for next season grabbed him. Still the fact no one paid attention to the guy they were trying to kill for 23 episodes is a bullshit plot hole. Not as big as Peter or the fact Hiro could have easily gone back in time and chopped Sylar's head off before he had a ton of power.

Sorry, but this show stinks of Lost style writing and I won't tolerate it for a second season.
Old 05-22-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
And reducing the Sylar / Peter fight to nothing more than a bar room brawl was just weak.
That started right after Peter said "Go help your family" to Jessica/Nikki. I think he had absorbed her strength power - which of course being used instantly perhaps left him incapable of keeping the others at bay.

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Worst TV finale of the season.
Really? I bet you're still gonna watch next season. Clearly you didn't watch 24.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.