TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Wire on HBO --- Discussion Thread

Old 02-25-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Per usual lots of movement in the penultimate episode. I wish HBO would have given Simon the extra 3 episodes though.

Glad they got Marlo, but I wonder if that screw up Herc will end up bringing the whole thing down again. It would be ironic since they got him b/c of Herc.

I understand Kima's anger, but I can't believe that she'd destroy the whole department (which this would do if it got out). Again, ironic that McNulty truly learns how bad he screwed up after he can't do anything about it. But that's the show really. Loved the moment where Lester was celebrating (and the little verbal cameo for Shardene since it appears that the actress is no longer in the business) while Jimmy was smothering in it.

Snoop's opening quote is a great way to reintroduce Colvin and Naymond. Colvin deserved better than he got (in seasons 3 & 4). Of the four youngsters Naymond probably deserved the worst fate. As for Snoop's fate...well, they taught him too well.

Also thought the scene near the end between Lester and Clay Davis was terrific. Wonder where they will take that or if they will take it anywhere. Life goes on after the "show" after all. Great call back to Stinger's third season travails.

Reginald seems to have finally turned the corner in his life. I hope that at least that part of the show goes out on a positive. I'm sure we'll have plenty of negatives and "business as usual" resolutions.
Old 02-25-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Snoop's opening quote is a great way to reintroduce Colvin and Naymond. Colvin deserved better than he got (in seasons 3 & 4). Of the four youngsters Naymond probably deserved the worst fate. As for Snoop's fate...well, they taught him too well.
Very well said.

It seems to me that Kima should have weighed what was the worse crime. Marlo's organization which is responsible for countless bodies, and an ocean of drugs in the Baltimore streets or McNulty who lied (albeit a fucked-up, in-over-his-head from the beginning, lie) in order to get the funding to bring down said crime organization. It's not at all like when Carver turned in his guy who was a moronic hothead who shouldn't have been on the streets in the first place.
Old 02-25-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the little reference to Dexter near the end.
Old 02-25-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know, I can't really look down on Kima for doing what she did. Sure, she could have sat on it, but I get why she turned McNulty in. After all he was wasting man hours having people chase no-point leads in order to keep his game alive. We saw how it effected Bunk's case, who knows what other cases it got in the way of.

It was nice to see some old faces in this ep, which was also sad since by seeing them you can tell they're closing up shop.

I really liked the juxtaposition of Bubbles who is finally getting out of his way of life and moving forward, only to have Dukie more than likely moving in to take his place. Naymond was a little shit, but it was cool to see that reform is possible in the world of The Wire. I think the point of that (well one of them) is that there is no such thing as a quick fix, and the work needs to be put in to get these kids right, because any of the four could have excelled like Naymond seems to be doing (especially in Dukie's case).

I'm really curious to see the fallout from the newspaper storyline. I've really grown to hate that reporter and the two big wigs guys (especially that short little fucker).

Also, to add nothing to the discussion but still needs pointing out -- Bubbles' sister is FINE!
Old 02-25-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I don't know, I can't really look down on Kima for doing what she did. Sure, she could have sat on it, but I get why she turned McNulty in. After all he was wasting man hours having people chase no-point leads in order to keep his game alive. We saw how it effected Bunk's case, who knows what other cases it got in the way of.
I can see see her being pissed at McNulty (especially after the whole Ikea business!), but it's not like Jimmy was working alone. Sure she gave Carver the heads up, but he pretty well knew what was going on...he might take a hit. And what does she think this is going to do to Lester? I know Freamon may think it's worth it, but he's looked after her in the past, and for her to rat him out like this...
Old 02-25-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
Just finished watching and I have to say that I was disappointed in the way Omar was taken down.

What a great character.
Put me in the same camp. Hated it. The character was brilliant and he deserved his showdown w/Marlo and vengeance for Butchie. The last two episodes are downhill for me now, and I don't feel quite so bad about it ending.
Old 02-25-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't even begin to comment about Omar, I'm so fucking sad!

On a side note, I think it would be really cool if HBO did a spin-off show that just followed Carcetti as he continues his political progression.
Old 02-25-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

TV really shouldn't be this good. This episode put me through the proverbial emotional wringer. From the joy of Lester telling Daniels they had Marlo and crew, to the anger at Marlo and Chris so willing to dispose of Michael, to the verge of tears watching Bubbles talking about Sharad and the Michael/Bug/Dookie ending. Not to mention: "how's my hair look?" - "you look fine, girl". my god.

I know it won't happen, but I just don't understand how anyone could watch an episode like this and not give them an Emmy nomination.

Last edited by Daryl; 02-25-08 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-25-08, 10:17 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I liked the little reference to Dexter near the end.
That was great.

The scene at the end with Dukie was what makes this show so great and heartbreaking.

Loved how we finally saw the unshakable calm of Marlo finally break when he found out Omar was calling him out in the streets.

Also loved Snoop's death scene. She was a character that defiantly grew on me.
Old 02-25-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk God

The part of me that loves good shows and loves Omar hated how it went out. I felt cheated. But after reflecting, the part of me that loves this show for the realism even when it isn't the story I want could understand. I love the ""legend" of Omar, but in real life, it just takes some punk kid to kill you.

The ending of the series the way I would have wanted it would have been a cheat to make me cheer and diminish what the show has done. I hate an Archie Bunker ending, but that is ultimately what this show will do. The game will continue.
Old 02-26-08, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty much echoing what everyone said. An amazing episode that really put you through the wringer.

Why didn't Micheal give Dukie any money? That's what he gets for all the work he put into taking care of Bug?

I understand where Kima is coming from, but being the whistle blower is not only going to take down McNulty but maybe the entire department. Kima would have to transfer to another prescient, hell, another city if she wants to be in good company after that.

Marlo finally losing his cool, a very intense performance.

Loved the brief victory Lester went through. Lester telling Daniels that they were up on Marlo. Lester gloating in front of Marlo, taunting him with the cell phone and the clock.

Interesting to see him and Clay Davis together after he threated Clay in the last episode.

Good to see Naymond doing well with Colvin. He may have been a little shit, but hey at least someone got out unscathed. I was so sure Colvin was gonna slug Carcetti in the jaw when he looked over at the reporters.

Does that leave Prezbo as the only one we haven't seen yet?

Snoop going down. Damn. I really liked her.

Great episode. One more left, my goodness.

Last edited by CKMorpheus; 02-26-08 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-26-08, 01:10 AM
Suspended

I was sure i'd be really happy when Snoop finally got killed but that her last comment actually had me feeling bad for her
Old 02-26-08, 02:32 AM

Another great episode....just reminds me how good this show is and how much I am going to miss it. I am going to have to watch this again as I missed the Dexter reference at the end.

I can see where Kima is coming from as far as being upset, but McNulty was also getting good police work done by those who asked. They made it all "related", but it was for their own cases. I cant believe she is going to take down everyone, which is going to destroy EVERY case that was worked during this time.

Bubbles finally is getting to "shine" and is showing how you can turn around even when all the ods are stacked against you and it seems that you have no support.

As far as Dukie goes, he just wasnt made for the game from the get go. It was sad to see him end up on the streets of all the places he could have gone. CK(Michael gave all of his money to Bug so that he could have a future. I dont think Dukie ever expected to get anything from Michael as he was getting paid while he "worked".

I knew the Snoop thing was coming, but the way they did the scene was just wow.....

Since I did see the sneak peek for next episode, I am not going to say anything, but some of the previous questions regarding characters were answered in the preview.
Old 02-26-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ph8te
I can see where Kima is coming from as far as being upset, but McNulty was also getting good police work done by those who asked. They made it all "related", but it was for their own cases. I cant believe she is going to take down everyone, which is going to destroy EVERY case that was worked during this time.
Will all the cases worked be in trouble or just the Marlo case because of the illegal wire tap? I don't see why the truth coming out would ruin other cases that just used the funds, but still went by the book. I mean, those people would probably be reprimanded in-house, but the cases should still stand in court right?

And yeah, the Snoop scene was really good.
Old 02-26-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From the preview for the final episode (nothing major):

Spoiler:

Prezbo is seen.

Old 02-26-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Bahahahaha. That FBI profile fit McNulty to a T. That was possibly the best moment of the show, with McNulty's face being shown during the whole time.
Old 02-26-08, 11:58 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Tim Goodman has the profile on his blog
http://timgoodman.blogspot.com/

“He likely is not a college graduate but nonetheless feels superior to those with advanced education. And he is likely employed in a bureaucratic entity – civil service or quasi-public service, from which he feels alienated. He has a problem with authority and a deep-seated resentment of those he feels have impeded his progress professionally…the suspect has trouble with lasting relationships and is possibly a high-functioning alcoholic.”
Old 02-26-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Will all the cases worked be in trouble or just the Marlo case because of the illegal wire tap? I don't see why the truth coming out would ruin other cases that just used the funds, but still went by the book. I mean, those people would probably be reprimanded in-house, but the cases should still stand in court right?

And yeah, the Snoop scene was really good.
It's only the Marlo case, but that's a huge case which just got a fair amount of publicity. I'm not sure what direction they will go with the finale. Exposing McNulty's scheme will look bad for the whole Department and the Mayor. It will also allow Marlo and most of the drug crew go. That's a PR nightmare.

Not to mention, the media gets tied in with the fake reports of the serial killer. They can expose the whole thing if they can prove that Scott was lying about all this stuff.

And then there's Levy. Who's already on to the problems with the Marlo case. How's that going to go? Lester's got some blackmail on him too, particular with the leak from the State's attorney office.

Could end up with a big cover-up.
Old 02-26-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jericho
Could end up with a big cover-up.
Given what the show is about that's probably how it should end up.
Old 02-26-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just love this show. I can't believe it's ending.
Old 02-26-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the series finale will not premiere one week early On Demand. Was this the case last season? So the last episode of The Wire will premiere Sunday, March 9th, then On Demand the next day.
Old 02-26-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by planetaire
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the series finale will not premiere one week early On Demand. Was this the case last season? So the last episode of The Wire will premiere Sunday, March 9th, then On Demand the next day.
[vader]noooooooooooooo![/vader]
Old 02-26-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, it still seems very strange to me that Lester is in a relationship with Shardeen, but I guess they're both happy.
Old 02-26-08, 05:42 PM

I think I missed something....?

When daniels and the hot prosecuter were in the evidence room and they were checking out that phone number, what were they doing? Did that have to do w/ mcknulty or the leak? Also, the leak in the courts has been mentioned in 3 episodes and I it is driving me crazy? Do they give out information on who it is? Does daniels know that the homeless killer thing is all bs?
Old 02-26-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

that was marlo's cell phone. they called the number that was ok'ed for the wiretap in the "homeless killers" case that mcnaulty gave them. it basically showed them that indeed they were using the fake homeless killings as a front to get a wire up on marlo.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.