Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Wire on HBO --- Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dukie showing off his dance moves was hilarious.
Old 02-18-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Start with some James Brown.
Old 02-18-08, 10:15 AM

Wasn't as wild about the IKEA stuff...built a housefull of IKEA while I lived in Europe and if I can do it anybody can.

Loved the "urban version" of Goodnight Moon however..."Goodnight Hoppers...Goodnight Hustlers"
Old 02-18-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chess1972
Loved the "urban version" of Goodnight Moon however..."Goodnight Hoppers...Goodnight Hustlers"
This would actually have made a pretty good close to the final episode of the series.
Old 02-18-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Wire - "Clarifications" - 02/24/08 (Now on HBO-On-Demand)

Spoiler:

Baltimore's renewed police commitment brings fresh recruits to Daniels and McNulty, starting with Carver; Facing a new political challenge, Carcetti is forced to make dangerous political deals; As the Pulitzer season winds down, Haynes approaches Templeton about his sources; Bunk returns a McNulty favor; little Kenard makes a big score; Dukie finds work; Fletcher continues his interview with Bubbles; Freamon presents his latest plan to a prosecutor; Sydnor uncovers the missing piece to a puzzle; McNulty finally comes clean.

The bolts are tightening! Can't wait to watch this with my girl!
Old 02-18-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Munch!
Old 02-18-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And it becomes clear why they only sent the first 7 episodes out on the screeners.
Old 02-18-08, 12:03 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
Poor Omar. I knew it was probably coming, but definitely not like that. That final scene of him getting zipped up into the bag was pretty sad.

(Spoilered just in case someone accidentally comes into the wrong thread).

All the cameos of characters from past seasons is really making it feel like the end. Kind of nice to see Poot has (seemingly) gotten off the streets.

The FBI's profile of the "serial killer" was great. Loved the look on McNulty's face.

Last edited by sb5; 02-18-08 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-18-08, 12:38 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
“That’s Omar? Gimpy as a motherfucker.” – Kenard.

I think Omar was putting on a little show for Kenard, Michael and the corner boys.
Old 02-18-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
“That’s Omar? Gimpy as a motherfucker.” – Kenard.

I think Omar was putting on a little show for Kenard, Michael and the corner boys.

I would hope so, for a couple of reasons. 1 - It would be pretty poor continuity from a show that prides itself on just that to show Omar walking unassisted when he shot the one guy in the head only to have him barely able to walk in the next scene with Kenard and Michael. 2 - Omar's been shown to be incredibly observant as well as being good with names and faces. For him not to recognize one of the shooters who killed his friend and nearly pegged him is out of character.

I'm betting he's banking on Michael going back to Snoop and Chris with this information.

-Doc
Old 02-18-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sb5
The FBI's profile of the "serial killer" was great. Loved the look on McNulty's face.
One of the best moments of the entire series, in my opinion.
Old 02-18-08, 01:00 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Loved the profile as well. I'm glad they finally cracked the code Marlo has been using as well.

Anyone have any thoughts on what Lester was threatening Clay with? Or was it a straight bluff without the backing of the Feds?
Old 02-18-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Munch!
Munch: "You don't stick a regular with his whole tab! I would know--I used to run a bar" (which is what he did on Homicide, in addition to being a detective).

Brilliant stuff.
Old 02-18-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My thought is that it was a bluff (due to the feds turning him down earlier). Lester is getting to be a lot more like McNulty as time goes by.

Last edited by kurupt; 02-18-08 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-18-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
It was a bluff, but it was the "head shot" they couldn't use b/c they wanted to try the case in state court for political reasons. Lester's working with the assumption that Clay Davis won't figure out that the Feds now have no interest in the case so he might as well blackmail for something useful.

One of things that I love about this show is the little details. Of the three (Bodie, Wallace, & Poot) you wouldn't immediately think that Poot would be the one to get out. He's made some seriously bad mistakes (starting with killing Wallace), but I guess, like McNulty, Bodie's death was a real opener/final straw for him; he just went the other way. The question I have is whether he could really get a job like that with his criminal record. Maybe his parole officer helped out.

McNulty finally seems to understand what he's done, but I think it's too late. It's out of control. As funny as Bunk pissed is, I think Greggs pissed is much more dangerous. I like seeing Beadie "put her foot down", but it's too late; it's too far gone. If she had done this a month or two ago it might have helped. It "helped" now, but things were too far down the road for McNulty to get out. And the FBI profile was just one long laugh for me too.

Omar's death...went out like he should. I think it would have been a cheat for Omar to go out in a blaze of glory (like in Monk's apartment). It was much more appropriate for him to go out like a punk, shot in the back by a little hopper.

Only two episodes left...sigh...next week is the penultimate episode...the one where the plot usually really moves.
Old 02-18-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Perhaps I'm mistaken or perhaps I'm just out of it due to a bout with the stomach flu, but...

Spoiler:
At the very end, did the guy at the medical examiner's office switch the tags on Omar's body bag? If so, why?
Old 02-18-08, 08:10 PM

He switched it since his bag had another guy's name on it. Just furthering the theme of the episode where you are easily forgotten in death (Beadie/McNaulty conversation).
Old 02-18-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scotts35
He switched it since his bag had another guy's name on it. Just furthering the theme of the episode where you are easily forgotten in death (Beadie/McNaulty conversation).
...and the scene in the newsroom where Gus passes up Alma's brief on Omar for one on a house fire.

It's really hard for me to accept Omar going out like he did.

I think the solution to the clock code rings false. We've never seen Marlo or his people check a road atlas or map, and I doubt that they'd have a map committed to memory. Marlo's people consulting maps off screen, which just happen to be the same edition of Sydnor's road atlas, is a huge cheat and bad writing.

Was showing Kenard abusing a cat supposed to be a deep, disturbing moment? I understand that animal abuse is a sign of future violent tendencies, but since his introduction, he's been a product of growing up in West Baltimore - modeling his attitude after older, harder kids, like Spider, Chris, and Michael. I thought the moment was completely unnecessary and betrays his character, the Omar, Chris, Snoop, Michael, and Weebay characters, and the themes of the fourth season, which humanized those involved in violent street crime.

I was wondering when we'd see Poot. What main characters are left that we haven't seen this season? Far as I know, it's down to Prez, Namond, Bunny, and Ziggy.

And Donut.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 02-18-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I was watching the scene with Dukie and Michael I almost got the sense that Simon was showing us the next Avon and Stringer. With Michael taking on the Avon role being more hard and Dukie being the brains like Stringer.

Probably not what he was going for but I just kind of thought of it when I saw that scene.
Old 02-18-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Scotts35
Thanks. I'll have to watch this episode again (post-flu) with a clearer head.
Old 02-18-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Omar's death...went out like he should. I think it would have been a cheat for Omar to go out in a blaze of glory (like in Monk's apartment). It was much more appropriate for him to go out like a punk, shot in the back by a little hopper.
I couldn't disagree more. Omar is theatrical and deserved a theatrical death. He's superhuman, surviving a shootout with Weebay and Stinkum, a showdown with Brother Mouzone, snitching against Bird, robbing Marlo at the poker game, robbing Prop Joe, a jump from the fourth (?) floor of an apartment building, and multiple contracts on his head.

Bodie's death was appropriate. He played the game, stepped out of line only once, and it cost him. To extend one of the show's central metaphors - he knew he was a pawn. Omar was a queen. He could make any move on the board at any time.

I'm really disappointed with the way he went out.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 02-18-08, 10:11 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
The profile scene was great and I lost it as soon as he mentioned the killer was most likely a high functioning alcoholic Dominic West was fantastic during that scene.

I haven't come to a conclusion yet on how I feel about how Omar went out.

Simon's hatred of the media is making it transparent how the Baltimore Sun story will end I believe, with Gus getting fired and Scott keeping his job.

Last edited by MrX; 02-18-08 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-18-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i find it interesting that

Spoiler:
two of the three people showcased in the the prequel shorts that aired before the season have been killed off - prop joe and omar. does this bode poorly for mcnulty (or bunk)?

Last edited by kms_md; 02-19-08 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-18-08, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cupcake jesus
Bodie's death was appropriate. He played the game, stepped out of line only once, and it cost him. To extend one of the show's central metaphors - he knew he was a pawn. Omar was a queen. He could make any move on the board at any time.
well said.
Old 02-18-08, 11:30 PM
Banned

How do the fuck do you get killed by kenard? lame!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.