Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Wire on HBO --- Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although this series has been brilliant from day one, this season is actually turning out to be my favorite storyline so far.
Old 02-19-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cupcake jesus
I couldn't disagree more. Omar is theatrical and deserved a theatrical death. He's superhuman, surviving a shootout with Weebay and Stinkum, a showdown with Brother Mouzone, snitching against Bird, robbing Marlo at the poker game, robbing Prop Joe, a jump from the fourth (?) floor of an apartment building, and multiple contracts on his head.

Bodie's death was appropriate. He played the game, stepped out of line only once, and it cost him. To extend one of the show's central metaphors - he knew he was a pawn. Omar was a queen. He could make any move on the board at any time.

I'm really disappointed with the way he went out.

cheers,

-the Jesus

Right now I totally agree with you. I have a feeling it's going to grow on me, but right now, I want McNulty to be as upset about Omar's death as he was Stringer Bell's and I want him to hang Kenard upside down from the Grain Pier by his prepubescent nutsuck.

I loved the prophile bit, as well as Gus smacking down Scott and his ball-washing bosses, but right now I'm just incredibly upset about Omar.

It looks like Bubbs might be okay, though. At least until Skynet starts a war and he gets sent back to 2007 to get taken out like a chump in a wharehouse.

-Doc
Old 02-19-08, 10:51 AM

Naively, I was reading the Wikipedia entry on Omar yesterday and it revealed his fate before I watched the episode. I went and ordered HBO On Demand enraged... to only find stupid Time Warner of NYC hadn't put the new episode up yet. Luckily, I was able to view the episode via other means and watched it this morning.

I'm still somewhat in shock over how Omar went out, but as Omar once said:

"All in the game yo, all in the game."
Old 02-19-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I think the solution to the clock code rings false. We've never seen Marlo or his people check a road atlas or map, and I doubt that they'd have a map committed to memory. Marlo's people consulting maps off screen, which just happen to be the same edition of Sydnor's road atlas, is a huge cheat and bad writing.
Maybe it's local thing, but it seems everyone has those maps. I even have the same map (or road atlas if you will) of Baltimore. Growing up I was a bit suprised, because my parents owned a lot of these (they make them by county) and everywhere I saw, other people had them too. They're literally everywhere. As I sit at my desk at work, one for Carroll County stares back at me. So everyone using the same maps seems normal to me.

Now as to when do they consult them? Probably in the car. That's where I normally keep mine (or I did until I got a navigation system).
Old 02-19-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Was showing Kenard abusing a cat supposed to be a deep, disturbing moment? I understand that animal abuse is a sign of future violent tendencies, but since his introduction, he's been a product of growing up in West Baltimore - modeling his attitude after older, harder kids, like Spider, Chris, and Michael. I thought the moment was completely unnecessary and betrays his character, the Omar, Chris, Snoop, Michael, and Weebay characters, and the themes of the fourth season, which humanized those involved in violent street crime.
First, I don't think it was supposed to be a "deep disturbing moment". Sure its messed up, but I believe it was meant to show that he wasn't scared of Omar...everybody else ran away except for Kenard. This follows from last episode when Omar limped up to the corner boys and Kenard later said "That's Omar? Gimpy as a motherfucker."

Next, we've seen that Kenard has been abused in the past (remember when he said so to Bunny and the teachers in S4). I don't really see how it betrays any character, especially Chris Snoop Michael and Weebay's characters since...well those guys weren't even involved with the scene in question, and just because they're in the same "line of work" as Kenard, doesn't mean that they all share the same attitudes. Even Snoop was surprised when Chris went all out on Michael's stepfather.
Old 02-19-08, 05:32 PM

Omar's fate was also somewhat foreshadowed last season when he dismissed Michael as 'just a kid' when doing surveillance on Marlo's crew. A *great* subtle touch was when the bell rang and he looked over, immediately dismissed Kenard as being any kind of theat, since he's 'just a kid', and then it happened.

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 02-19-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
First, I don't think it was supposed to be a "deep disturbing moment". Sure its messed up, but I believe it was meant to show that he wasn't scared of Omar...everybody else ran away except for Kenard. This follows from last episode when Omar limped up to the corner boys and Kenard later said "That's Omar? Gimpy as a motherfucker."

Next, we've seen that Kenard has been abused in the past (remember when he said so to Bunny and the teachers in S4).
I don't remember that - if so, the animal abuse isn't so out of character. I think, though, that the creators were laying it on really thick in that moment, though. Animal abuse as a child is a predictor of future violent behavior. On TV, it's a big, flashing neon sign reading "THIS KID IS MESSED UP." It would have made more sense if Kenard was on the corner that Omar shook down in this episode and stuck around to watch him rob the stash house. A small beef with the episode, but along with the clock code, it felt very "TV" to me.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 02-19-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jericho
Maybe it's local thing, but it seems everyone has those maps. I even have the same map (or road atlas if you will) of Baltimore. Growing up I was a bit suprised, because my parents owned a lot of these (they make them by county) and everywhere I saw, other people had them too. They're literally everywhere. As I sit at my desk at work, one for Carroll County stares back at me. So everyone using the same maps seems normal to me.

Now as to when do they consult them? Probably in the car. That's where I normally keep mine (or I did until I got a navigation system).
I had one until I got a navigation system, too. I had one published for MoPar in the late nineties. They're published by several companies in several editions every year. There would be maps of Baltimore in United States, Maryland, Baltimore County, and Baltimore City atlases. Marlo's people could've gotten a triptych from AAA for a drive from Maine to Florida, which would contain a Baltimore city map. To think that Sydnor would have the exact same edition map or road atlas from the same publisher from the same year for the same location with the same page numbers seems hard to believe.

The pay phone code from the first season was logical, and with enough hard thinking, could be solved. The clock/map code solution was a case of deus ex machina by a lazy writer.

Still can't wait to see how it all comes out.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 02-19-08, 06:19 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great episode... I for one have wanted Omar to fall since the first season, so this may be the most satisfying episode of the season for me. If Kenard plays his cards right, and manages to stay out of jail, he should be able to move up the ladder in the streets.

Though there's only two more episodes left, I'm not sad at all. This is the worst season of the show by far for me, and alot of characters I grew to love have been ruined by over the top storylines or out of character actions (Lester and McNulty immediately come to mind). Other characters that are featured, don't seem to have much to do, but of course that could change (Dukie, Bubbles). At the end of the day, it's still The Wire though, so I look forward to seeing how it will all play out.
Old 02-19-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by IIG
Though there's only two more episodes left, I'm not sad at all. This is the worst season of the show by far for me, and alot of characters I grew to love have been ruined by over the top storylines or out of character actions (Lester and McNulty immediately come to mind).
I don't see McNulty being OOC at all. I think it's the natural progression. He got out at the end of season 3 only to have Bodie's death suck him back in. He was told that they would seriously work the case against Marlo only to have it get politicized and go away. He wouldn't be McNulty if he didn't do something about that. Sure the scheme was outlandish, but it wasn't really working either. It took Freamon's involvement to get things rolling.

As to whether Lester is OOC is a more arguable point. He's older and taken more shit through the years than Jimmy (he spent 13 years languishing in the pawnshop department...how long did Jimmy spend on harbor patrol?). I keep in mind that Daniels made promises to him that didn't come to fruition. I was surprised when he jumped on board, but I think you can make the case that at his most frustrated Lester might do it. It's working (from his vantage point, at least). He's also getting older so this might be his last big case.

As for the quality of this season...it might not be as good as say season 3 and 4 were, but it's still top notch and the best show on TV.
Old 02-19-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

finally got some free time to peep it tonight. Damn, seeing Omar the Terror get zipped up at the end had me emotional for a sec . Although, to see him limping around like that was almost just as sad as killing him off - he just didn't seem like superman anymore. Wish he could have at least got someone a little higher on the food chain, like Monk or Cheese, before his demise. With Marlo outlasting Omar, I was reminded of McNulty's "he doesn't get to win!" rant about Marlo earlier this season. The cops might get him in the end, but on the streets, the King stay the King.
Old 02-19-08, 10:09 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
As for the quality of this season...it might not be as good as say season 3 and 4 were, but it's still top notch and the best show on TV.
I'd agree that it is the best show on TV currently, but I'd be remiss to not mention that the drop off in quality has been significant IMHO. What drew me to The Wire in the first place, is the realism and behind the scenes inner workings (and corruption) shown between the criminals, the cops, and the politicians in Baltimore, MD. What drew me to the characters was their consistent behavior,and how their different views meshed or clashed with those around them.

I don't believe the McNulty or Freamon from seasons 1-4 would be caught up in this homeless serial killer foolishness. Whatever happened to the notion of "good police"? That was a common theme in those seasons, that I don't ever see or hear any more. Also, Omar became way too "Dark Knight" for my tastes. Even if a person was to survive such a jump from those several stories up, it is highly doubtful they would be able to wrap their own injuries up and go to war alone with the most powerful crew in the city. Not to mention, Omar probably should've been dead many seasons ago with all the toes he's stepped on. Kudos to Simon and company for proving he was a mere mortal in this episode, though.

Whatever my complaints though, The Wire is compelling television, and I love it. I understand the constraints of working within 10 episodes to finish this story off, and keeping that in mind, what a job they're doing. I've noticed a few new writers and directors this season, and I think that could have aided to a slight dropoff as well.
Old 02-20-08, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man.. I REALLY don't like how Omar went down.. I mean, ... I am basically lost for words.. I hated it.

I loved the FBI profile scene.

Gus is freakin awesome. One of my favorite characters by far.

Can't believe only 2 episode in the entire SERIES are left.
Old 02-20-08, 05:43 PM

im afraid for the fallout for the wire crew if mcnulty's speech about "you start off thinking you're the hero" foreshadows what's to come, especially w/ keema's reaction
Old 02-20-08, 09:41 PM

Omar is the reincarnation of Robin Hood and to see Kennard kill him like that does not sit well with me. That kid is my most hated character as he is always talking shit to the older kids and protected by some of the corner thugs for no reason whatsoever. I was cheering the one time he got beat down as he deserved that for years. I hope he gets shot in the head in one of these last few episodes but I doubt it.

I am going to eat some Honey Nut Cheerios in remembrance of the greatest character in television history from the greatest show in television history.
Old 02-20-08, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by IIG
I don't believe the McNulty or Freamon from seasons 1-4 would be caught up in this homeless serial killer foolishness. Whatever happened to the notion of "good police"? That was a common theme in those seasons, that I don't ever see or hear any more.
McNulty is trying to follow the notion of "good police". If we all remember at the begining of the season they couldn't be "good police" because of the budget lockdown. As we know McNulty is not one for obeying the common rules he stepped out of what he normally would do (he admitted it was extreme) so that "good police" work could be done. This whole thing was done so that the police could do the work they were doing before and get cases (namely Marlo) closed. So I am one that will have to disaggree with you that McNulty acted out of character. he simply went to an extreme to get what he thought was "right".

As far as Omar goes he didnt go out like a "punk" as previously mentioned. This is the farthest thing from the truth. He went out "quietly" which was a stark contrast to the way he lived or took out other people. If anything we were ALL duped, since none of us would have seen this coming. We expected him to go out in a blaze of glory or at least by the hands of a "higher up", this showed us that it can happen at anytime to anyone BY anyone (as the way it should be). We saw multiple cases of foreshadowing that Kenard had it in him to do this. For one he was really to young to have any "sense" of Omar and when he actually saw Omar (since he was injured) the myth was damaged and Omar was brought down in his eyes to a "normal" level. Those whowere old enough to "know" about Omar and have dealings with him had more reason to "fear" him. We all dismissed Kenard as "just a kid" just like Omar did. As cupcake said "Omar is a Queen", but as well all know in the game of chess even pawns can be deadly if used correctly. If the reporter had said "Omar Little" I think the story would have been but on, but since it was a "nameless" killing it got pushed aside.

On a lighter note I loved the profile by the FBI, McNulty hoping that Kima didnt look over and say "hey sounds like you ". The whole discription and the look on his face was priceless as they fit him to a tee. Especially as they were walking out and Kima asked what does he think about the profile McNulty said something like "not too far off".

As far as this season goes it is definitely different then seasons prior, but it is still one of the BEST if not the BEST show on TV today. This season has different pacing then previous seasons (I think closer to season 2), but will end with a BANG. I havent had an issue yet with this season as far as pacing or storyline goes. I am still sad that we only have 2 more episodes left, but I cant wait to see how they finish it off.
Old 02-22-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I finally caught up over 2 nights. Wish I would have waited for the last 3, but the DVR needed some space.

I have got to believe that Omar is playing the gimp card for a reason. If not, it was far too obvious a mistake to make when they edited the show. And Omar is the greatest.

I do fear for an ending that doesn't actually close the books, but I think it should be expected.
Old 02-24-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate the way Omar went out, but I think that's the whole point of it. It's very humbling and real.

Has the whole season been leaked to the web yet? It sounds like the finale won't be in On Demand until after it airs its scheduled Sunday, but I'm not sure if I have to go on spoiler-lockdown besides that.
Old 02-24-08, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Omar was a queen. He could make any move on the board at any time.

I'm really disappointed with the way he went out.
ditto

This is the single instance where I've felt let down by this show.
Old 02-24-08, 11:32 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd182
Has the whole season been leaked to the web yet?
No, the first 7 were leaked early.
Old 02-25-08, 12:36 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Just finished watching and I have to say that I was disappointed in the way Omar was taken down.

What a great character.
Old 02-25-08, 01:56 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
It seemed pretty clear to me from watching Last week that Kenard would be the one to off Omar. Sad he's gone, but I think that's exactly how he should have gone. No big fight, just like how it happens in real life, random person does it.

Great ep, the profile piece was perfect, and mcnulty being blackmailed into paying for 2 nights of an over night car for golf at hilton head.
Old 02-25-08, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
I was convinced Omar would get to Marlo just before McNulty and Lester were about to close on him, making all their serial killer shenanigans pointless. I suppose that could still happen, with someone else doing it, but I thought for sure it would be Omar.

I've stayed spoiler-free so far though. I like going into each episode not knowing what to expect. Like Lost, I don't even watch the previews.
Old 02-25-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Wire - "Late Editions" - 03/02/08 (Now on HBO-On-Demand)

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
With Carcetti's Chief of Staff Michael Steintorf ordering Rawls to initiate "creative" remedies for the rising crime rate, Freamon's vigilance pays off with a promising lead, sending Sydnor and the department into overdrive; although Daniels is originally delighted, a further probe with Pearlman reveals some troubling source information; McNulty, feeling betrayed, doesn't feel like sharing in Freamon's celebration; Michael is suspicious about his latest assignment; Haynes gets fresh eyes to help with fact-checking; Namond's debating skills make Colvin proud; Davis points a finger at Levy and the courts; and Bubbles recounts a recent temptation overcome.

I'm now staying away from any spoilers and synopsis, so I haven't even read the synopsis up above. Can't wait to check it out tonight!
Old 02-25-08, 11:00 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
No post about waiting to watch this with your girl?

I think I read the finale won't be on on-demand until after the show airs in its regular slot, so those of you watching this today will have a 2 week wait for the finale.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.