Print Wikipost

DC Universe streaming service

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-19, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by dex14

And as already said, people aren’t signing up for this for back catalogue. What back catalogue are you so desperately missing out on?

To me it adds value to the service for people to want to subscribe. As is there’s not a lot of reason to get this service aside from the original shows. As I recall there are rumors that the numbers aren’t exactly where they want them. It seems like common sense to me that you’d want to give customer as much as possible. Just because not everyone wants the backlog doesn’t mean some don’t. Like for instance I haven’t watched all the CW DC shows but that would give me an incentive to want this service rather than getting it somewhere else separate. Stuff like that adds value for some consumers.
Old 03-28-19, 04:06 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86

To me it adds value to the service for people to want to subscribe. As is there’s not a lot of reason to get this service aside from the original shows. As I recall there are rumors that the numbers aren’t exactly where they want them. It seems like common sense to me that you’d want to give customer as much as possible. Just because not everyone wants the backlog doesn’t mean some don’t. Like for instance I haven’t watched all the CW DC shows but that would give me an incentive to want this service rather than getting it somewhere else separate. Stuff like that adds value for some consumers.
Na. They’d add those shows and then you’d just go on about it not being available on XBOX.
Old 03-28-19, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14

Na. They’d add those shows and then you’d just go on about it not being available on XBOX.
Which is another issue with the service. It should be available by now on platforms like game consoles. It’s not a new service and there’s no reason it shouldn’t be there by now. I shouldn’t need to get a new device for streaming when just about any other service I want is available on Xbox, which is currently my preferred device for content.

That’s really a separate issue. I actually would subscribe if it was available on the platform I want it on. Maybe not for a full year, but I have interest in Doom Patrol. I have a little bit of interest in Titans too.

Last edited by Mike86; 03-28-19 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-28-19, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Well, they just added the Shazam! TV show from 1974 remastered in HD a few weeks ago if that floats his boat.

Old 03-28-19, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,128 Posts

I am in a few DC groups and -NO ONE- is worried about back catalogue stuff on DC Universe. It comes up occasionally, like the recent addition of the 70's SHAZAM! show as seen above, but all eyes are on Titans and Doom Patrol. People in those groups outside of the US are BEGGING for DC Universe so they can see the TITANS and DOOM PATROL shows. No one is begging for DC Universe access for old Batman TAS eps. That's not to say no one cares about old shows and films...clearly many do as seen here...and frankly they do have some cool old series/films/animated films up on the service now...Hell, I was able re-watch the recent Green Lantern Animated Series...

But I look at it this way, The original series are the main course and the back catalogue show/films,comics, special features, and Daily News stuff are all the dessert.. and together it makes DC Universe totally worth my money.
Old 03-28-19, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Well, they just added the Shazam! TV show from 1974 remastered in HD a few weeks ago if that floats his boat.

I probably would check it out. I enjoy the cheesy output of DC from that time period.
Old 03-28-19, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Aside from the Arrowverse shows on The CW, DC does not have a lot of live action TV shows in their back catalogue. Pretty much all the big ones are already on the service. I mean shit, they just remastered such an oddball show like Shazam! from over 40 years ago. So they are putting work into these that they do get.

Movies we've already talked about.

Animated is a little hit and miss. Some of the stuff is being rotated to other providers, but they are getting the newer DC animated movies the day they come out on BD/DVD.

They do have the entire Batman the animated series remastered in HD including the short reboot season. I think that was one of their biggest draws on the animated side.
Old 03-28-19, 09:24 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Watched a couple Shazam episodes and it was good cheesy nostalgic fun. Doom Patrol continues to be the best show on television.
Old 03-29-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, there was an article about two months back in (I believe) Deadline, talking about how the DC Universe app as 750,000 subscribers, which for a niche service seems pretty good, especially one that isn't on every platform. And seriously, you can buy a firestick for $25, what's the point about complaining it's not on Xbox or PS4?
For the life of me, I don't understand why people seem to want to shit on this so much. It's a fun concept and the value is there between the shows, DC animated movies and comics. Doom Patrol is awesome, Titans wasn't bad and I'm enjoying Young Justice. Sure it doesn't have everything, but it's never claimed to be the app for everything that DC has ever done. Obviously some stuff is missing(the 60's Batman show, The Rick Springfield Human Target, Beware the Batman) but there is still more than enough there to make the app worth the price a month. Plus some of the oddities like the Filmation Shazam, the Aquaman pilot and Legends of the Superheroes add some fun to it's value.
I'm also getting money from the comics section. A couple weeks ago I realized I never read "What's so funny about Truth, Justice and the American Way?" so I went to the app and found it. I also wanted to check out Jerry Ordway's Shazam run and started reading it on the app. This is a pretty cool service that should not have been in a WB app because it's got enough to be able to stand on it's own.
Old 03-29-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think s1 of Human Target is on there. EDIT: I had to Google...They have the reboot on there.
Old 03-29-19, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Well, there was an article about two months back in (I believe) Deadline, talking about how the DC Universe app as 750,000 subscribers, which for a niche service seems pretty good, especially one that isn't on every platform. And seriously, you can buy a firestick for $25, what's the point about complaining it's not on Xbox or PS4?
For the life of me, I don't understand why people seem to want to shit on this so much. It's a fun concept and the value is there between the shows, DC animated movies and comics. Doom Patrol is awesome, Titans wasn't bad and I'm enjoying Young Justice. Sure it doesn't have everything, but it's never claimed to be the app for everything that DC has ever done. Obviously some stuff is missing(the 60's Batman show, The Rick Springfield Human Target, Beware the Batman) but there is still more than enough there to make the app worth the price a month. Plus some of the oddities like the Filmation Shazam, the Aquaman pilot and Legends of the Superheroes add some fun to it's value.
I'm also getting money from the comics section. A couple weeks ago I realized I never read "What's so funny about Truth, Justice and the American Way?" so I went to the app and found it. I also wanted to check out Jerry Ordway's Shazam run and started reading it on the app. This is a pretty cool service that should not have been in a WB app because it's got enough to be able to stand on it's own.
Wasn't my intention to crap on the service, but as a subscriber I'd like if it became a little less niche and actually got new people on board with DC content. I actually tried to sell this to a family member a few days ago, and he actually asked about Smallville, the DCEU movies, and the WB shows, which is why I made the original post.

It's not an "I hate DC" thing either. If Marvel launched a service with no MCU content, original series that had absolutely no ties to the MCU, and none of the more recent DisneyXD cartoons I'd have a similar complaint (though like I did with this, I'd probably still subscribe if they had something like the X-men cartoon and Pryde of the X-men).

This is going to get squeezed when Disney + and the host of other streaming services come out, and if this does get rolled into WB I can't see it keeping the comics portion (which I love and which has improved dramatically), so I'm really hoping there's enough interest to keep this around. But as it is when my year is up I'll probably just subscribe here or there like my original plan was.

Old 03-30-19, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk God

https://www.dcuniverse.com/news/dc-u...ary-wondercon/

Some news today from Wonder Con. I actually had a ticket to attend today at Wonder Con, but had to get a refund due to work.

First: you spoke and we listened... Many of you have said you'd like more comics to read on DC Universe. So we're giving you more. Thousands more! At no extra charge or increase in the price of a subscription, DC Universe subscribers will be able to enjoy access to DC’s enormous digital comics library, starting in April of 2019. (Each of these comics will appear at least 12 months after it was first published). That's over 20 thousand comic books!

Then, we revealed the premiere date of our next original live-action series -- Swamp Thing. The James Wan-produced adaptation of DC's greatest horror hero will arrive on May 31st. Which gives you enough time to experience the comic book that inspired it -- writer Alan Moore's run on Saga of the Swamp Thing!

We've also got a fistful of new premiere dates that should excite most every DC fan out there... Season 1 of TV's Krypton will arrive on DC Universe on April 5th -- next week! So you can watch it before season 2 debuts on Syfy this summer... Plus, the animated film Justice League vs. The Fatal Five will premiere on DC Universe on April 16th, the exact day and date on which the film will hit 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and DVD. This much-anticipated movie will see the fan-favorite actors Kevin Conroy, Susan Eisenberg, and George Newbern reprise their roles as Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman from Justice League Unlimited. And the second half of DC Universe's original Young Justice: Outsidersanimated series (comprised of 13 new episodes) will premiere on July 2, 2019. Last but not least, fans can expect season 2 of DC Universe's Titans to arrive in the fall of 2019, with our animated original Harley Quinn series following it in late fall.

So it seems like DC Universe has a blue print of a plan going into the rest of this year and even into 2020 with Stargirl airing there.
Old 03-30-19, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Old 03-30-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Looks great and I like that STRIPE is huge.

Last edited by fujishig; 03-30-19 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-30-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

If you haven't seen Krypton, definitely check it out next week when it premieres here. It's a solid addition to the Superman lore. Looks like you have time to catch up before season 2. Seems like SyFy is holding season 2 until summer.
Old 03-30-19, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Great news about the comics...that was one of the biggest gripes about the service.
Old 04-15-19, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I hope ya'll used that discount code I posted

DC UNIVERSE App Now Available on XBOX ONE

DC UNIVERSE will roll out on Xbox One during the month of April, bringing its unmatched DC Super Hero lineup of original live-action and animated series, classic TV shows and films, epic original animated movies, a vast digital comics library, special fan events and much more to Xbox One owners.

“Since we launched DC UNIVERSE last fall we’ve been on a mission to expand our reach on new platforms. Fans asked for access to the ultimate DC membership on their Xbox One consoles and we are excited to deliver DC UNIVERSE to them starting next week. Our growing list of highly acclaimed original series, amazing library shows and thousands of comics are now accessible to DC fans and Xbox users alike,” said Sam Ades, senior vice president and general manager, DC Digital Services.
Old 04-15-19, 08:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

so how much per month and how sign up?
Old 04-15-19, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Old 04-16-19, 05:19 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
That is how to sign up. But can you answer the existential question of "how sign up?"
Old 04-16-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

The new DC Animated movie Justice League vs the Fatal Five is available to stream today. Same day as the BD release.
Old 04-16-19, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Old 04-16-19, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I hope ya'll used that discount code I posted

DC UNIVERSE App Now Available on XBOX ONE
Finally. I’ll now subscribe the next time there’s a sale.
Old 04-16-19, 05:01 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The new DC Animated movie Justice League vs the Fatal Five is available to stream today. Same day as the BD release.
That's my favorite feature of the service. Same day streaming releases. I wish other services did that.
Old 04-16-19, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Went to download this just now and I’m still not seeing it for Xbox. Unless it launches later in the month or something.

Edit: I see I missed there not being a firm date. I just thought Giantrobo’s post meant it was available now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.