Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread, moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

DC Universe streaming service

Old 09-16-18, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
I just wrote them demanding a full refund of my pre-order. I have zero interest in only reading #1 issues.

And the FAQ on their site says to cancel, click the setting button on the top right of the screen. However that button does not exist on the 4 browsers I tried, so I just went straight to customer service.
Uhmm there are more then #1 issues on there. In fact, here is some of what you can read with just some random characters I typed in:

The Flash(1987): 62-74, 164-200

Captain Marvel/Shazam: The Power of Shazam #1-35

Teen Titans(66 series)#1-22

New Teen Titans: 1-6 and 1-12

Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters(1-3) and Green Arrow(1987) 1-12 and 21-24

Batman: 1-5 and random issues from 9-650 including the complete arcs where Tim Drake becomes Robin and Death in the Family, as well as Batman: Year 2.

Doom Patrol(1987) 1-20

Overall I am loving this app and having a lot of fun with it. I think it has a good selection of the obscure( both seasons of Human Target, the Spirit TV pilot with Flash Gordon himself Sam J Jones, The Superboy TV series) and the more mainstream like Nolan's Batman movies and Batman: The animated series.

I think that some stuff could be done better like more integration between the comics and shows(like if you watch the 1990 Flash Series it takes you to a link to read his comic books) and they definitely have some notable things missing like the Batman 66 series and the Ruby Spears Superman cartoon. But from what I've seen so far, I love this app and think it's more than worth the $7.99 it charges per month. I wish that Marvel had a similar app.
Old 09-16-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I watched Batman: Mask of the Phantasm last night. Had never seen it from start to finish. It was okay. I can't say it was one of the best animated comic movies I've seen. But, for the product of it's time (early 1990's) I thought it was pretty well made. Not sure how it got the reputation of being one of the best ever.

My stream was a little slow last night, so the picture quality wasn't that great, but apparently this was also one of the remastered in HD titles on the service.

BTW, the new DC Universe message boards on their web site and app are a mess right now. That needs to be cleaned up badly.
Old 09-16-18, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Also, from reading the DC social media sites, this is currently not available on Amazon devices when it was promoted as being available on them launch day.

Apparently many people bought Amazon devices like the Fire TV stick just to get this service and are pretty upset. Also, this isn't available on game consoles either.
Old 09-16-18, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Iíve only had time to skim through the comic selection so far, but it doesnít look too good. It seems thereís a lot of #1 issues without later ones, especially with Rebirth, which is what I was most looking forward to reading. Kinda like Comixology but worse, since CU at least would have the first several issues free.
My opinion may change once I have time to delve in a bit more.
There are longer runs if you check the pre-Rebirth comics.

Supposedly the included comic book issues will be rotated throughout the year, so if you see something you want to read, don't delay.

I would consider this more of a beta test at the moment. The start has been a little clunkier than I expected but if they had delayed the service any longer, fans might lose interest.
Old 09-16-18, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem with this service for me is a lot of the content I would watch I own in some fashion so itís not really worth $8 a month in my opinion other than the convenience of having it in one spot. I could maybe see subscribing for a month here and there, watching what I want, and then cancelling. Itís hard for me to see myself wanting it all the time though.

I still think a WB service with DC content as part of it would have made more sense.
Old 09-16-18, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
The problem with this service for me is a lot of the content I would watch I own in some fashion so it’s not really worth $8 a month in my opinion other than the convenience of having it in one spot. I could maybe see subscribing for a month here and there, watching what I want, and then cancelling. It’s hard for me to see myself wanting it all the time though.

I still think a WB service with DC content as part of it would have made more sense.

An all-one-one Warner Brothers service would be very difficult to pull off. So many of their movies, TV shows are licensed all over the place. Many of their movies have cable deals and streaming deals with Netflix and Hulu.

Also, they would never be able to get The Big Bang Theory, which is probably their most valuable TV property, because it's licensed in syndication to TBS and others. WB makes more money off that alone. That's why you don't see old seasons of Big Bang licensed to Netflix or Hulu because WB makes way more money on it through syndication dollars.

The DC animated movies are a lot easier to gather along with the obscure and cancelled TV properties. I think DC Universe is hoping/expecting their original shows to carry the service once they get up and running.
Old 09-16-18, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just think limiting the service to all DC content makes it very niche. I suppose itís true about WB having a lot of their shows/movies syndicated elsewhere or rights currently held by other streaming platforms but still. When youíre paying almost as much as Netflix for far less content and especially not as much new content itís going to be a tough sell in my opinion.

Itís just hard for me to justify it even at only $8 a month because while some of the stuff on there I would watch I own. Itís either that or thereís a lot of stuff thatís on there that I feel like would be viewed as filler on other streaming services (the one or two season shows that were obviously cancelled for a reason for instance). I can see people subscribing for a while to get what they want out of it (if the original content is good) but I bet there wonít be a lot of on-going subscriptions. Thatís probably my plan. Get it when something I want to see is available and then cancel afterwards.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-16-18 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-16-18, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What happened to SuperFriends season 2 episode 13?

Wow ...they don't have that much content too begin with and if they can't even have complete seasons,that's almost as bad as CBS All Access having missing Perry Mason episodes.
Old 09-16-18, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
An all-one-one Warner Brothers service would be very difficult to pull off. So many of their movies, TV shows are licensed all over the place. Many of their movies have cable deals and streaming deals with Netflix and Hulu.

Also, they would never be able to get The Big Bang Theory, which is probably their most valuable TV property, because it's licensed in syndication to TBS and others. WB makes more money off that alone. That's why you don't see old seasons of Big Bang licensed to Netflix or Hulu because WB makes way more money on it through syndication dollars.

The DC animated movies are a lot easier to gather along with the obscure and cancelled TV properties. I think DC Universe is hoping/expecting their original shows to carry the service once they get up and running.
They could put Boomerang and DC Universe together.

Neither has that much too write home about.
Old 09-16-18, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I signed up for the 7 day trial. Thereís seriously no option for casting to a device? Iíd like to watch on my Xbox but the app isnít available there.
Old 09-16-18, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I signed up for the 7 day trial. Thereís seriously no option for casting to a device? Iíd like to watch on my Xbox but the app isnít available there.
Wouldn't you need an Xbox app to cast to, at which point you might as well just have a native app to stream directly? They said console support was coming soon after launch but I'm not sure what the timetable is. The Amazon fire app not being ready sounds like a big mistake though.
Old 09-16-18, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So I signed up for the 7 day trial. There’s seriously no option for casting to a device? I’d like to watch on my Xbox but the app isn’t available there.
Android and iOS have one. I can cast from my iPad to Apple TV. But Apple TV already has an app, so there’s no point to that.
Old 09-16-18, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Wouldn't you need an Xbox app to cast to, at which point you might as well just have a native app to stream directly? They said console support was coming soon after launch but I'm not sure what the timetable is. The Amazon fire app not being ready sounds like a big mistake though.
I have a Chromecast too which it also doesnít seem to be picking up. I occasionally will cast from my phone to my Xbox (even if there's an app) if Iím in the middle of a long video or something and wanting to pick up from my phone to the tv.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-16-18 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-16-18, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
Uhmm there are more then #1 issues on there. In fact, here is some of what you can read with just some random characters I typed in:

The Flash(1987): 62-74, 164-200

Captain Marvel/Shazam: The Power of Shazam #1-35

Teen Titans(66 series)#1-22

New Teen Titans: 1-6 and 1-12

Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters(1-3) and Green Arrow(1987) 1-12 and 21-24

Batman: 1-5 and random issues from 9-650 including the complete arcs where Tim Drake becomes Robin and Death in the Family, as well as Batman: Year 2.

Doom Patrol(1987) 1-20

Overall I am loving this app and having a lot of fun with it. I think it has a good selection of the obscure( both seasons of Human Target, the Spirit TV pilot with Flash Gordon himself Sam J Jones, The Superboy TV series) and the more mainstream like Nolan's Batman movies and Batman: The animated series.

I think that some stuff could be done better like more integration between the comics and shows(like if you watch the 1990 Flash Series it takes you to a link to read his comic books) and they definitely have some notable things missing like the Batman 66 series and the Ruby Spears Superman cartoon. But from what I've seen so far, I love this app and think it's more than worth the $7.99 it charges per month. I wish that Marvel had a similar app.
I realize itís not all just #1s, but several things Iím interested in, such as the Rebirth era, only shows #1s. Anyway, still waiting to see if I get the refund or if they tell me tough shit, youíre stuck with it.
Old 09-17-18, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I realize it’s not all just #1s, but several things I’m interested in, such as the Rebirth era, only shows #1s. Anyway, still waiting to see if I get the refund or if they tell me tough shit, you’re stuck with it.
The preorder is non refundable according to the email after you order:

CANCELLATION
Your DC Universe subscription is not refundable. To cancel your subscription prior to auto-renewal contact us at support.dcuniverse.com
And good Lord man, it’s only a few days in and you want your cake and ice cream all at once. Rome wasn’t built in 1 day and neither will a brand new streaming service.

You committed to 15 months. Nothing starts out perfect right away. When the service gets fully going and gets feedback, I’m sure they’ll tweak and adjust. It sounds to me the main thing you care about is the comics and IMO that also needs time to develop as well as the video sections grow.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-17-18 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-17-18, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

A pretty cool section I found. It’s called DC Universe presents. It’s several short features hosted by a DC artist or actor introducing a DC movie or comic and talking about the behind the scenes aspects of it.
Old 09-17-18, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah I don't think a WB streaming network would work that well. You would have a lot of content but a lot of it would be junk because a lot of it is on other streaming services(all the CW stuff, the TGIF shows, Big Banh Theory) and if you put DC, Hanna Barbera and WB all on one channel you basically become a jack of all trades master of none service. At least the DC idea is unique.

You committed to 15 months. Nothing starts out perfect right away. When the service gets fully going and gets feedback, I’m sure they’ll tweak and adjust. It sounds to me the main thing you care about is the comics and IMO that also needs time to develop as well as the video sections grow.
Yeah I agree his complaints are a bit ridiculous. It's been out for two days and he's upset that they don't specifically have what he wanted to read? If he was unsure about the service he could have just waited to see what it was like, or see how it develops from there? This seems to be a bit of an overreaction.
Old 09-17-18, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have it to try until next Sunday but Iíve already cancelled after that. Until they get the app on more platforms itís kinda useless to me. I mostly wanted to try it out and maybe watch a couple shows so itís not a big deal. Especially given that itís free. I would think though that launching a new service like this a big focus would be on being available on as many platforms as possible. I realize Apple and Android devices are big as is Roku but I have to imagine a lot of people would use this on their Xbox or PlayStation and Amazon devices.
Old 09-17-18, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes I really wish it was available at launch on Xbox one. I tried it with the Xbox browser, and my TV's browser but neither went well- won't play video and crashed during a comic. Time to get a roku i guess. On computer or phone is nice but not my preferred method. And my tablets are Kindles.
Old 09-17-18, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, even though you got a few months free with that deal, the fact that you had to pay everything up front, couldn't cancel, and had to commit before the service even launched was a red flag.
Old 09-17-18, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah I never do that.

Pay everything up front sounds like they are desperate for money and the service is on shaky ground.
Old 09-17-18, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So far so good with the service.

Better than most when they start up.
Old 09-17-18, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Yeah, even though you got a few months free with that deal, the fact that you had to pay everything up front, couldn't cancel, and had to commit before the service even launched was a red flag.
Yeah, like I was saying before I think the problem is that a lot of people probably wonít keep their account active after they get what they want out of it. Thereís simply not that much content for the average person to really want the service for in my opinion. Thereís a lot there but a lot of it isnít going to appeal to a wide audience as itís old stuff or filler type content. I think theyíre banking on the hardcore fanboys subscribing for the year to make up for cancellations.
Old 09-17-18, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Yeah I never do that.

Pay everything up front sounds like they are desperate for money and the service is on shaky ground.
Who says they’re desperate for money? It’s a discount to retain subscribers. You save about $3 per month. $75 is not a lot of money for a 1 year subscription on a SVOD service.

Most SVOD services average at least $10 per month if not more.
Old 09-17-18, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Yeah I never do that.

I don't think it's shaky ground as in they're going to pull the rug out from under anyone, they do seem like they're investing in a lot of original programming. But certainly most folks would try it out, leave, and come back when Titans comes out, then leave, come back when YJ comes out, etc., especially if the other content is sporadic at best. So they definitely want to lock people in as much as possible. I actually wonder why Netflix and others don't do annual subscriptions like that (Crunchyroll does).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.