Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Old 07-25-20, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I have never had this happen to me after buying a ton of things from amazon prior to this year, and it's happened twice already.
Fortunately this type of thing is somewhat rare, even for folks who buy a lot of stuff from amazon.

If this was a common occurrence with zero or difficult to get refunds, then I would think twice about ordering regularly from amazon. At least in my cases, amazon was prompt about refunds whenever this happened.
Old 07-25-20, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
I ordered a runner rug that was sold/shipped by Amazon. It had an estimated Prime shipping time of 2 to 19 days. I ended up getting it in 2 days, but I wonder why they couldn't narrow down the estimate before it shipped, that's a huge range.
I ordered a pair of Amazon Basics pillows and they arrived in 10-days shipped from Amazon. That was also the initial shipping quote but they used UPS to deliver as opposed to their own couriers.

Old 07-31-20, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I buy a lot of blu-rays and I often go with "No Rush" for the digital credit. I had decent service when Amazon delivered things themselves, but lousy when it was UPS; it would be listed as "Out For Delivery" but I would end up getting it a day or two later. The last few items Amazon has sent via the USPS aka "regular mail".
Old 08-08-20, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks like Amazon is trying to persuade more people to pay for their music streaming service. They recently, about a couple weeks ago, removed the ability to sample songs before purchase. And now have removed the ability to add songs or albums to wishlist or any other list.

I often will hear a song we may want and then check to see where to procure the song. Yes my wife and I are old school whereas we'd like the CD first and if only liking a song or 2 we will purchase an MP3. Often there are numerous versions or releases for a particular song. We will sample them to find which has the best mix etc. For example a song may be on a greatest hits and an original album or even have multiple releases of the same album (or rerelease, remaster etc). Well now if we cannot listen first what incentive do we have to buy.

We would put items in almost and periodically double check we still want a song or album. Often we wait till we accumulated no rich shipping credits and will use all available and still spend beyond frankly.

​​​​​Now we are expected to buy blindly (sound unheard) without building a list of titles we'd want. I get there is Amazon Music to listen to some titles that are included with Prime. We won't however pay for an Unlimited streaming plan just to sample songs they have for sale. Defeats the purpose.

​​​​​
Old 08-08-20, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net View Post
Looks like Amazon is trying to persuade more people to pay for their music streaming service. They recently, about a couple weeks ago, removed the ability to sample songs before purchase. And now have removed the ability to add songs or albums to wishlist or any other list.​​​​​
They started doing this almost 2 months ago - at least that's when I noticed as I had a few CDs I was interested in but wanted to sample a few songs first. Not only were the samples removed but track lists as well on most titles I looked at. That makes it even more difficult with CDs having several different releases with differing "bonus" tracks.
Originally Posted by b2net View Post
I often will hear a song we may want and then check to see where to procure the song. Yes my wife and I are old school whereas we'd like the CD first and if only liking a song or 2 we will purchase an MP3. Often there are numerous versions or releases for a particular song. We will sample them to find which has the best mix etc. For example a song may be on a greatest hits and an original album or even have multiple releases of the same album (or rerelease, remaster etc). Well now if we cannot listen first what incentive do we have to buy.

We would put items in almost and periodically double check we still want a song or album. Often we wait till we accumulated no rich shipping credits and will use all available and still spend beyond frankly.

​​​​​Now we are expected to buy blindly (sound unheard) without building a list of titles we'd want. I get there is Amazon Music to listen to some titles that are included with Prime. We won't however pay for an Unlimited streaming plan just to sample songs they have for sale. Defeats the purpose.

​​​​​
I, too, purchase CDs although it's physical only unless a title is OOP and commanding stupid high prices for a CD. Even then I rarely purchase digital as all Amazon offers is MP3. If they'd offer FLAC I'd make the occasional digital purchase. Like you, if I'm going to purchase a single song on digital I want to be able to sample all versions. I've found that often the differences are not made clear and all versions of a title are made to look like it's the same thing when it's not. It's especially critical when making a purchase of classical (physical or digital) as interpretation can be quite different and make a song/work you love almost unlistenable with a "poor" interpretation.
Old 08-08-20, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The samples disappeared 2 months ago and then came back until recently disappearing again. The lack of ability to add MP3 to wishlist or other list is new within the last week or so.
Old 08-10-20, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I chatted with Customer service about the missing samples and inability to add to lists along with how broken the list of all songs by artist is now (sorting does not work, it doesn't show what album anything is from, and no ability to sample anything from that from the list of songs). They said they checked band it is all intentional. I said I could understand the removing of samples from the Amazon website interface if they wanted to encourage folks to use their media player. I said I don't understand why the titles can no longer be added to a wishlist as not everything is a bit now scenario. I also said there is no way they intentionally screwed up the full song list by artist to no longer sort appropriately nor have links to buy as that would reduce revenue.

They said that would make note of my comments and sent them to their team to review. They did assure me they would look into it.

I think they have a 1/2 baked update that screwed up their interface and won't admit it or they are planning to push it all to streaming only and remove the ability to purchase MP3s anymore. Pay to play model and/or subscriptions is the revenue of the future. Not pay once and use indefinitely.
Old 08-10-20, 09:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to disclose that I worked at a local Amazon warehouse from November of last year to about February of this year. I had no real problems, and only quit because of the pandemic.