Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Old 08-30-20, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
Also annoying is that I have to choose which 'user' is using Prime Video every time, and I'm the only damn user listed!
Yes, quite obnoxious! Also incredibly aggravating is when you exit the Prime Video app on Apple TV you are taken back to the "which user" screen rather than straight back to the main Apple TV menu. You have to click an extra one or two times to exit the "which user" screen.
Old 08-30-20, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
I'll give it a week to see if it eventually shows up.
For most amazon orders I make (both directly from amazon or third-party dealers), I'm willing to wait as long as two weeks or so after the "quoted" date. After that, I'll go through the refund process or file a claim on a difficult third party dealer.

Old 08-31-20, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
I don't know if this is a problem with Amazon or Roku, but just about every time I start up the Amazon Prime Video app on the Roku on my office room television, I have to register it using the onscreen code. It's getting very annoying.
I've had this happen with channels like CNN, TBS, TNT, etc. I have not had this happen with Amazon Prime, and I've had the Roku since last Christmas.
Also annoying is that I have to choose which 'user' is using Prime Video every time, and I'm the only damn user listed!
I do see this. I haven't played with it. I hope it is something that will allow the same account to have different users, and different recommendations. So if I watch something R-rated, my 10-year old son will not get recommendations for similar movies if he starts it up. If that is what it is, I'm glad its there.
Old 08-31-20, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 835 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
I've had this happen with channels like CNN, TBS, TNT, etc. I have not had this happen with Amazon Prime, and I've had the Roku since last Christmas.

I do see this. I haven't played with it. I hope it is something that will allow the same account to have different users, and different recommendations. So if I watch something R-rated, my 10-year old son will not get recommendations for similar movies if he starts it up. If that is what it is, I'm glad its there.
It does allow different profiles, I think they introduced it like a couple of months ago?

Amazon Amazon

Though it definitely shouldn't make you do it if there's only one profile. But that probably has something to do with having to authenticate every time.
Old 08-31-20, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 200 Posts

^Might be related I don't know. Even when I don't have to authenticate my tv/device, I still often have to select my user profile.

I do think profiles are good for accounts with multiple users. It's just annoying to have to select my profile when it's the only profile on the account.
Old 08-31-20, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 319 Likes on 231 Posts

The profile selection for Prime Video App is new for me too. It's only myself and it lists "Kids" as another selection. I haven't tried to remove that profile so it no longer asks at startup. Not sure if you can.
Old 08-31-20, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 355 Likes on 260 Posts

Amazon (or the post office) did something wacky with a CD I ordered a couple weeks ago. After I ordered it, I received an email several days later that the shipment was running late, apologies, etc. Then the next day I got an email saying that my item was lost and I could request a refund, which I did. The next day I got an email saying that it was available at a pickup locker (which I didn't request as a shipping address, I've never used a locker). Then the next day I receive an email that it's been delivered to my office, after I already received a refund, and already downloaded the autorip version of the CD. And now I get yet another email saying the same item at the locker is still waiting for pickup. What the hell is going on?
Old 08-31-20, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

With respect to my lost order. On the lost order status, Amazon had a "Reorder" button, which I used. I haven't seen that before. It used to be I had to cancel the order and then re-order it. Nice improvement (would've been nicer if they didn't lose it in the first place).

I was browsing Amazon a few minutes ago for a replacement screen protector for my cell phone and found something weird. Many of the product reviews are for the wrong products. For one, all of the reviews were for a child's book. For another, the reviews were for an outdoor wall repair / mesh covering.
Old 08-31-20, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 226 Likes on 144 Posts

I ordered a used CD with the seller being "Amazon.com Services", so I figured I was safe. Instead of getting the remastered 2 CD version of the album released in 2017 that was described on the page, I received the original single CD released back in 1988.
Old 08-31-20, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
I ordered a used CD with the seller being "Amazon.com Services", so I figured I was safe.
Is this the "warehouse deals" division of amazon?

IIRC, the division where amazon dumps all the returned stuff that is not in "new sellable condition" anymore, but is still sellable as a "used" and/or "warehouse deal" type of item.

In the recent past, I ordered a few items which fit into this "amazon warehouse deal" category, which turned out to still be in a "new" condition. (They were books).
Old 08-31-20, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 322 Likes on 276 Posts

I've noticed that Amazon's own delivery system will occasionally "lose" small single orders during shipment, begging me to cancel the order. These are items worth no more than a few dollars. It's happened enough that I think Amazon is playing games with low-margin items they likely lose money delivering.
Old 08-31-20, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 226 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Is this the "warehouse deals" division of amazon?

IIRC, the division where amazon dumps all the returned stuff that is not in "new sellable condition" anymore, but is still sellable as a "used" and/or "warehouse deal" type of item.

In the recent past, I ordered a few items which fit into this "amazon warehouse deal" category, which turned out to still be in a "new" condition. (They were books).
yeah, this wasn't listed as Warehouse, but still had the Amazon name in the name (Amazon.com Services LLC), so I figured it would be safe to order. Yeah, I expect it to be a return or something. The packaging was listed as damaged which I didn't have a problem with when I placed the order.
Old 09-01-20, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
yeah, this wasn't listed as Warehouse, but still had the Amazon name in the name (Amazon.com Services LLC), so I figured it would be safe to order. Yeah, I expect it to be a return or something. The packaging was listed as damaged which I didn't have a problem with when I placed the order.
Looking through the "Amazon.com Services LLC" "storefront" listings, it appears to be all encompassing division which handles all their digital ebooks, mp3, etc ... type downloads listeings.

I'm guessing they end up dumping some of their warehouse deals and other "used/returned" stuff into this storefront too, whether out of inertia or binning mistakes.
Old 09-02-20, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Placed an order for two items that stated would be here today and it hasn't even shipped yet. It is beyond funny at this point.
Old 09-02-20, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I've noticed that Amazon's own delivery system will occasionally "lose" small single orders during shipment, begging me to cancel the order. These are items worth no more than a few dollars. It's happened enough that I think Amazon is playing games with low-margin items they likely lose money delivering.
I've had amazon orders lost which were almost $100, which I eventually got refunds on. (Mostly books).

I don't know what amazon considers "low margin" which are almost $100.

For example, would a Game Of Thrones complete series bluray set be consider a "low margin" item? (ie. It is probably not a "low cost/price" item. Dunno what the profit margin would be).
Old 09-03-20, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
I've had amazon orders lost which were almost $100, which I eventually got refunds on. (Mostly books).

I don't know what amazon considers "low margin" which are almost $100.

For example, would a Game Of Thrones complete series bluray set be consider a "low margin" item? (ie. It is probably not a "low cost/price" item. Dunno what the profit margin would be).
Talking in absolute dollar terms, so the margin on a $5 CD may be less than a buck. The complete Game of Thrones would have enough profit in it for Amazon they wouldn't play the same games unless there are major supply issues.

This is all likely being determined by algorithms designed to maximize profit for Amazon around shipping logistics.
Old 09-04-20, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Is there a separate thread for Amazon marketplace sellers?

I just checked my feedback page and was a horrified to find my name and full address displayed prominently . Going into the seller settings I can find no way to remove it, and using their contact us page (the only way you can get support now), I have to choose between two options to even send them a message - reset password or termination request. WTF?
Old 09-05-20, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post

I just checked my feedback page and was a horrified to find my name and full address displayed prominently . Going into the seller settings I can find no way to remove it, and using their contact us page (the only way you can get support now), I have to choose between two options to even send them a message - reset password or termination request. WTF?
I'd hold on to that distinction - Amazon has been looking for any reason to kick marketplace sellers off.
Old 09-05-20, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 127 Likes on 109 Posts

That's new... I've never seen it before.

I just checked a MP vendor with whom I had issues to find that info is presented - although in this one it's a "Business Name" - not a personal name. It wasn't there when I placed that order. I was surprised to find the "business" address in this case was in GA while the product I'd received had a FL return address. Apparently it's some schmuck using drop shipping instead of actually having product on site - no wonder things didn't line up with descriptions and shipping promises for that one. If it's new product I don't have issue with "drop shipping" but with used it's another story as they can't have any certainty the description truly matches the product. That verifies the guy had no idea of the true condition of what he was selling and is trusting someone else who is less than honest/accurate. After having to issue a charge back due to multiple failed promises of replacement (and I hate doing that - just be honest with me) I'd already blacklisted that vendor and having this additional info makes it solid.

As a consumer I like having that extra bit of info as I've often looked at a vendor and wondered where they were located (there are some UK ones where it's not clear they're outside the US and some US ones that sound like they ship from the UK). Sometimes location makes a huge difference. I've had little luck ordering CDs from overseas as they often arrive in cases which got destroyed in shipping (mostly due to inadequate packaging) and generally avoid those vendors for such product. Often, the cost of replacing the case offsets any savings so why bother considering shipping is typically much slower to boot.

If I were selling out of my house I'd not like that at all. It certainly encourages setting up a business name/address separate from your residence. I find it rather unsettling they'd do this without at least notifying you so you could set things up differently if needed/desired.
Old 09-05-20, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 808 Likes on 593 Posts

On the plus side, Amazon's UI for reading feedback is so cumbersome that nobody bothers to look at it.
The following users liked this post:
BobO'Link (09-06-20)
Old 09-06-20, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 127 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
On the plus side, Amazon's UI for reading feedback is so cumbersome that nobody bothers to look at it.
I always look at it if ordering from an unfamiliar MP vendor - but I also only look at the past 30-60 days at most. If there are several negatives in that period I'll go through to find them and see if they are legit beefs or some doofus complaining about something they did to themselves (or "slow" shipping). And, yes, it's quite cumbersome to use. I'll also look at a MP vendor's storefront to see what other products they offer and at what price. That can give clues as to their overall pricing structure and alert you to possible scams. But I'm also not a "typical" consumer...
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (09-09-20)
Old 09-06-20, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

With the high number of fake reviews and counterfeit products popping up the past couple years, Iíve curtailed my Amazon purchases (but not stopped completely).

Iíve resorted to just price matching items at Target and Best Buy, especially when it comes to the risk of getting counterfeit items.

And I never purchase from 3rd party sellers, so it still makes me worried about commingled inventory in Amazon warehouses.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 09-06-20 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-06-20, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
And I never purchase from 3rd party sellers,
Me neither. I tried it several times early on, but more than half my 3rd party purchases had problems. I learned my lesson.
Old 09-06-20, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
That's very strange, and an awful way of doing business. But, oh, it's Amazon, so they get an automatic free pass by 90%+ of the populace (sheep) who worship the company as being incapable of any wrongdoing. The other 10% would see this as extremely disconcerting and hopefully take their business elsewhere.
Old 09-07-20, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 808 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
I’ve resorted to just price matching items at Target and Best Buy, especially when it comes to the risk of getting counterfeit items.
Whenever I try to price match something from Amazon at Best Buy, they refuse.

When I walk up to pay and tell them I want to price match Amazon, the associate looks the item up on Amazon, then tells me they can't price match it because it "isn't in their system." (And these ARE Amazon.com prices, not third party sellers I am trying to match. And these are the exact same items, same model# and UPC code.) And then I just leave the stuff on the counter and walk out of the store.

They've done this for the last couple of years. I'm guessing that this is coming from the store's management because they don't want their margins to decrease.

They even have a huge sign up that says they will price match any online or brick and mortar competitor.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.