Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Old 09-07-20, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 115 Likes on 91 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
That's very strange, and an awful way of doing business. But, oh, it's Amazon, so they get an automatic free pass by 90%+ of the populace (sheep) who worship the company as being incapable of any wrongdoing. The other 10% would see this as extremely disconcerting and hopefully take their business elsewhere.
And then there's many of us who's been ordering lots of stuff for decades and never had anything lost by Amazon.
Old 09-07-20, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Whenever I try to price match something from Amazon at Best Buy, they refuse.

When I walk up to pay and tell them I want to price match Amazon, the associate looks the item up on Amazon, then tells me they can't price match it because it "isn't in their system." (And these ARE Amazon.com prices, not third party sellers I am trying to match. And these are the exact same items, same model# and UPC code.) And then I just leave the stuff on the counter and walk out of the store.

They've done this for the last couple of years. I'm guessing that this is coming from the store's management because they don't want their margins to decrease.

They even have a huge sign up that says they will price match any online or brick and mortar competitor.

yea, that sounds like a local BB management issue, which I'm not sure how corporate handles that. Sounds like you should be getting price matches. I've never had any problems price matching at Target or Best Buy. It's pretty straightforward.

Old 10-04-20, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 163 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net View Post
Looks like Amazon is trying to persuade more people to pay for their music streaming service. They recently, about a couple weeks ago, removed the ability to sample songs before purchase. And now have removed the ability to add songs or albums to wishlist or any other list.

I often will hear a song we may want and then check to see where to procure the song. Yes my wife and I are old school whereas we'd like the CD first and if only liking a song or 2 we will purchase an MP3. Often there are numerous versions or releases for a particular song. We will sample them to find which has the best mix etc. For example a song may be on a greatest hits and an original album or even have multiple releases of the same album (or rerelease, remaster etc). Well now if we cannot listen first what incentive do we have to buy.

We would put items in almost and periodically double check we still want a song or album. Often we wait till we accumulated no rich shipping credits and will use all available and still spend beyond frankly.

​​​​​Now we are expected to buy blindly (sound unheard) without building a list of titles we'd want. I get there is Amazon Music to listen to some titles that are included with Prime. We won't however pay for an Unlimited streaming plan just to sample songs they have for sale. Defeats the purpose.

​​​​​
This has kind of pissed me off, too. However, I recently noticed that you can, once again, sample songs from the amazon site. At least some songs. But you may have to click on the 'streaming' or "MP3" option, instead of the "Audio CD" option, to be able to sample the songs. And sometimes the streaming listing for an album is on an entirely different page than the CD option. it's kind of a mess.

Still no return of the ability to add a song to a wishlist though, which sucks. I've created a bookmark folder in my browser for "amazon music wishlist" and I bookmark the amazon listing for songs I'm interested in.
Old 10-11-20, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I've noticed that Amazon's own delivery system will occasionally "lose" small single orders during shipment, begging me to cancel the order. These are items worth no more than a few dollars. It's happened enough that I think Amazon is playing games with low-margin items they likely lose money delivering.
I've had them lose/delay the following:
Several nespresso machines
65' television

Funny thing is that I was tracking the Amazon/UPS drivers online for those deliveries and they were within blocks of my house and never delivered. It took several weeks to locate the TV, which they finally returned to their warehouse and then issued me my credit (once again WTF).
Old 10-12-20, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've noticed that Amazon's own delivery system will occasionally "lose" small single orders during shipment, begging me to cancel the order. These are items worth no more than a few dollars. It's happened enough that I think Amazon is playing games with low-margin items they likely lose money delivering.
Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
I've had amazon orders lost which were almost $100, which I eventually got refunds on. (Mostly books).

I don't know what amazon considers "low margin" which are almost $100.

For example, would a Game Of Thrones complete series bluray set be consider a "low margin" item? (ie. It is probably not a "low cost/price" item. Dunno what the profit margin would be).
Talking in absolute dollar terms, so the margin on a $5 CD may be less than a buck. The complete Game of Thrones would have enough profit in it for Amazon they wouldn't play the same games unless there are major supply issues.

This is all likely being determined by algorithms designed to maximize profit for Amazon around shipping logistics.
So ... Amazon has algorithms around shipping logistics but somehow, someway can't use those algorithms before an order is even placed?

Instead, in your mind, Amazon wakes up to the fact that Little Jimmy has some order on the way to him that is too good to believe and therefore puts some sort of exception code on it and then proceeds to "lose" Little Jimmy's order in the hopes that he will just give up on it.

Wow. It must be so interesting to be you.

Old 10-14-20, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
Several nespresso machines
65' television
I know it's a typo, but I can't resist the obvious joke: only Amazon could lose a 65 foot TV.
Old 10-14-20, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 115 Likes on 91 Posts

They lost the 18-wheeler it was on.

Can I complain I received my Prime Day movies a day early?
Old 10-15-20, 02:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
They lost the 18-wheeler it was on.

Can I complain I received my Prime Day movies a day early?
Me too, but I used an Amazon Locker for the first time. One of the few times I actually received a UPS delivery before about 7 PM too.
Old 10-16-20, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 240 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post

65' television
Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
I know it's a typo, but I can't resist the obvious joke: only Amazon could lose a 65 foot TV.

Old 10-17-20, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
This has kind of pissed me off, too. However, I recently noticed that you can, once again, sample songs from the amazon site. At least some songs. But you may have to click on the 'streaming' or "MP3" option, instead of the "Audio CD" option, to be able to sample the songs. And sometimes the streaming listing for an album is on an entirely different page than the CD option. it's kind of a mess.

Still no return of the ability to add a song to a wishlist though, which sucks. I've created a bookmark folder in my browser for "amazon music wishlist" and I bookmark the amazon listing for songs I'm interested in.
The only songs I've found to be able to hear are those that are on Amazon Prime streaming. I wish they'd return the ability to sample songs before buying and as well adding them to lists. Since they've done this change I've bought either zero or nearly zero MP3s from them.
Old 10-17-20, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only songs I've found to be able to hear are those that are on Amazon Prime streaming. I wish they'd return the ability to sample songs before buying and as well adding them to lists. Since they've done this change I've bought either zero or nearly zero MP3s from them.
It doesn't seem that you are following what Cellar Door is trying to help you with.

link to MP3 sales (NOT STREAMING, although there is a button for that as well) ... music you can sample ... as an example ...

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0855F4D...rd_i=307026011

Last edited by ctyankee; 10-17-20 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-17-20, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
It doesn't seem that you are following what Cellar Door is trying to help you with.

link to MP3 sales (NOT STREAMING, although there is a button for that as well) ... music you can sample ... as an example ...

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0855F4D...rd_i=307026011
No Actually I am doing exactly what was said. Without opening the Music streaming app on phone or web player on laptop, there is no way to sample the music. Including the example you sent.

There used to be links to the left where there are only track numbers now that would give a 30 second preview of the track. I had previously reached out to Amazon customer support and was told this change is intentional.

This behavior is no different on Phone or Laptop.
Old 10-17-20, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When I open that link on my Windows 10 PC, here is what I see. When I hover my mouse pointer over the track numbers, I get the play button and can press it to listen to a sample of the song.

Old 10-17-20, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I should also note I'm using the Chrome browser, in case it matters.
Another screenshot with the sample playing:

Last edited by Cellar Door; 10-17-20 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-17-20, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will try again next time I am on the Laptop. Do you by chance have Unlimited streaming or any plan with Amazon?
Old 10-17-20, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I do have Amazon Prime, so maybe that's it. I don't subscribe to Amazon Music Unlimited.
Old 10-18-20, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

This behavior is no different on Phone or Laptop.
30 second previews returned on the Desktop site a couple weeks ago. Apparently, they still donít exist on the Mobile site. On Safari on my phone, I was able to request the Desktop site and the previews worked with that layout.
Old 10-18-20, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
30 second previews returned on the Desktop site a couple weeks ago. Apparently, they still donít exist on the Mobile site. On Safari on my phone, I was able to request the Desktop site and the previews worked with that layout.
I do have Amazon Prime, so maybe that's it. I don't subscribe to Amazon Music Unlimited.
I have Amazon Prime also yet last I checked on Laptop, it still sent me to the Music Player. I will definitely look again next time I am on the Laptop.

I think either this was all a mistake or a feeble attempt to push more people to their unlimited plan. I did point out to customer service that in this new configuration you can only listen to songs available via Prime or Unlimited yet not MP3s for sale that are not Prime or Unlimited.

For example https://smile.amazon.com/Dirty-Sheriff/dp/B07VZ8W4R4/

The other thing broken which I pointed out to them is the artists full back catalog of songs. That used to show which album it was from along with the 30swcond samples and could be sorted by song, album, release date, etc. Now it is in some strange order which the sorting doesn't seem to work correctly.

​​​​​​​So complaints are limited (was zero) access to samples, artist backlog no longer useful, and inability to save albums or tracks to lists. And trust me, my purchases of MP3s has dropped to zero or near to zero since these changes.
Old 10-18-20, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I did point out to customer service that in this new configuration you can only listen to songs available via Prime or Unlimited yet not MP3s for sale that are not Prime or Unlimited.

For example https://smile.amazon.com/Dirty-Sheriff/dp/B07VZ8W4R4/
I can listen to samples on that page:

Old 10-18-20, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can listen to samples on that page:

Glad to hear (no pun intended) that some functionality is returning.