Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-13, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Just purchased a few LP's - I'll post pics when I get them in, but so far I got:

Ghost - Opus Eponymous
Ghost - Infestissumam
Kiss - Destroyer Resurrected

Infestissumam and Destroyer were ordered via 3rd market sellers.
Old 12-13-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally got a pristine original US pressing of The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society.

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
No kidding.

I think the last, more recent, album of his I really liked was Heathen.

I pretty much need everything from Space Oddity (which is still available as a reissue), all the way up through Scary Monsters again. I'd settle for being able to find Hunky Dory, The Man Who Sold The World, Aladdin Sane and Diamond Dogs, at least, though.
Heh. I just bought a bunch of Bowie vinyl over the past 2 years. I had Diamond Dogs already from years ago and added: Hunky Dory (original - my far and away favorite Bowie album), Ziggy (with the 5.1 mix), David Live, Station to Station, Low, Lodger, and Scary Monsters. I don't think I paid more than $8 for any of them except Hunky Dory and the Ziggy reissue.

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Well, I didnt say anything about thinking I was ripped off. I'm basically just asking if you should expect this to happen when buying used vinyl. A skip here and there is understandable, but this record was not listenable.
No, for $9 it should not skip. (Unless its like a copy of an old Beatles album sold at a discount for the condition.) But there are so many variables here - the tonearm, is the record clean, etc.

Last edited by CRM114; 12-13-13 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-13-13, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone else order a copy of Rosemary's Baby from Waxwork this week? Not sure if I made it in time to get the dual-colored, 200 gram version limited to 200 copies, but either way it should be a sweet release.
Old 12-13-13, 11:54 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

^ Yup, always liked that score. Waxwork shows some promise as a label.
Old 12-13-13, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
Heh. I just bought a bunch of Bowie vinyl over the past 2 years. I had Diamond Dogs already from years ago and added: Hunky Dory (original - my far and away favorite Bowie album), Ziggy (with the 5.1 mix), David Live, Station to Station, Low, Lodger, and Scary Monsters. I don't think I paid more than $8 for any of them except Hunky Dory and the Ziggy reissue.
My envy looms large, sir. I did just score a decent original press copy of Young Americans for $5. Still on the lookout for the others, though. Just going to take a little time, patience, and luck. Got a few nearby places I still need to check, but not the time to get to them of late. On the up side, the guy who runs the place I got Young Americans at, is going to let me know if/when any of the others come through his store. He said they come thorough regularly enough, but usually sell quickly. He's a big Bowie fan himself, and we had a really cool, lengthy conversation about him.
Old 12-13-13, 06:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I listened to that MFSL pressing of Ziggy last night. Holy shit. It was like hearing the album for the first time.
Old 12-13-13, 06:12 PM

The AOP13 OST arrived today. Giving it a spin right now. Music to my ears. . Another top-notch pressing from Death Waltz.
Old 12-15-13, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My Ghost stuff came in yesterday. Opus Eponymous was a neat picture disc and Infestissumam is a red vinyl:

Old 12-15-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I listened to that MFSL pressing of Ziggy last night. Holy shit. It was like hearing the album for the first time.
I don't have the MFSL to compare it to, but I was equally impressed with the 40th anniversary reissue, which I finally got a chance to spin last night. The separation of instruments and stereo sound field really shine.

Mick Ronson's solo on ""Moonage Daydream" - still get's me every time. Wish it could have gone on longer.

Haven't checked out the 5.1 mixes on the DVD-A, but that was icing as far as I was concerned, anyway. I got this for the vinyl aspect, after all.
Old 12-15-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
The AOP13 OST arrived today. Giving it a spin right now. Music to my ears. . Another top-notch pressing from Death Waltz.
I'm going to Amoeba tomorrow and I really hope they have a copy in stock.
Old 12-15-13, 04:00 PM
Banned by request

I don't have the MFSL to compare it to, but I was equally impressed with the 40th anniversary reissue, which I finally got a chance to spin last night. The separation of instruments and stereo sound field really shine.

Mick Ronson's solo on ""Moonage Daydream" - still get's me every time. Wish it could have gone on longer.

Haven't checked out the 5.1 mixes on the DVD-A, but that was icing as far as I was concerned, anyway. I got this for the vinyl aspect, after all.
The low end on the MFSL is monstrous. It's incredible. I always thought Ken Scott's production was too thin, but I was wrong.
Old 12-15-13, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The low end on the MFSL is monstrous. It's incredible. I always thought Ken Scott's production was too thin, but I was wrong.
Yeah, if there is one thing the 40th is lacking, it could perhaps use a tad more low end. I just adjusted the bass, and all was good, though.
Old 12-16-13, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ziggy has always sounded awesome in any format.
Old 12-16-13, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the one I've been waiting for.

Curious - have you picked up any of the other Music On Vinyl pressings of STP? They are reportedly pretty terrific sounding, but I've opted out on them so far due to funds being limited of late.

I also find it interesting that after years of not re-releasing them, suddenly Rhino in the US is putting out STP albums, now that MOV's have proven such popular sellers. Rhino re-released Purple with almost no fanfare about a month ago, and also just did a limited edition Black Friday Record Store Day release of Core, on "yellow" vinyl, this past Friday.
I didn't know about the Rhino releases. I do have Core and Purple from MOV, though.

Preordered Tiny Music today. Already have the MOV releases of Core and Purple -- both are great pressings. Hoping MOV will eventually release "4".
I read somewhere that 4 wasn't released on vinyl when it came out. I don't know if that's true though. I may have read it in this thread. I never had the cd though and listened to it rarely, but I'll pick it up if it gets a release.
Old 12-16-13, 04:47 PM

^ Yeah, it may never have been available on vinyl (not sure). I had the CD (still do). The case was one of those cardboard flip jobs that got beat up to all hell over the years (I listened to it quite a bit when it came out).
Old 12-16-13, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Yeah, it may never have been available on vinyl (not sure). I had the CD (still do). The case was one of those cardboard flip jobs that got beat up to all hell over the years (I listened to it quite a bit when it came out).
Same here. I picked mine up on release day (technically, it was at night at a now closed music store here in Iowa) and the case has definitely seen better days.
Old 12-16-13, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
I read somewhere that 4 wasn't released on vinyl when it came out. I don't know if that's true though. I may have read it in this thread. I never had the cd though and listened to it rarely, but I'll pick it up if it gets a release.
Pretty certain that neither 4 nor Shangrila-di Da ever got vinyl releases previously, but with MOV's track record on reissuing STP's catalog so far, I can't imagine that they won't do them, as well.
Old 12-16-13, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Random question: How many of you cats keep the original inner sleeves that come with the LP's you buy? I don't, I have the sleeves made out of thicker paper that make up a full square with the middle plastic sheet guard. I always thought the ones records came with looked flimsy. I like the heavy duty ones.
Old 12-16-13, 11:55 PM
Banned by request

If the inner sleeve is clearly the original sleeve issued with the record, I will keep it in the outer sleeve, but transfer the record to a new inner sleeve (same as you, heavy duty paper with plastic lining). If it's a generic sleeve or an obviously replaced sleeve, I'll toss it.
Old 12-17-13, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If the inner sleeve is clearly the original sleeve issued with the record, I will keep it in the outer sleeve, but transfer the record to a new inner sleeve (same as you, heavy duty paper with plastic lining). If it's a generic sleeve or an obviously replaced sleeve, I'll toss it.
Likewise. If the original sleeves look like they belong to the set or are specially designed sleeves, I keep 'em.
Old 12-17-13, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I almost forgot about today's haul:

I just finished listening to it and it was great. Bob Ezrin really did a subtle and outstanding job with the re-mastering. The noticeable improvements that I was able to detect were the bass and drums being given just a bit more heft. The vinyl label at the top says that it's "virgin vinyl" and 180 gram. I also LOVE the original Destroyer artwork. I remember when they first showed a picture of it in the Kiss My Ass long form video years ago but had to go with a latter design cuz they were wearing different outfits by then.
Old 12-17-13, 12:34 AM
Banned by request

Is it missing a half beat in Flaming Youth, about five seconds in? People complained about that with the CD and lossy digital release.
Old 12-17-13, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is it missing a half beat in Flaming Youth, about five seconds in? People complained about that with the CD and lossy digital release.
No, that got corrected many months ago. This was flawless. Fuck, I didn't realize it was released over a year ago! Kinda cool now that they're finally getting inducted into the HOF.
Old 12-17-13, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
No, that got corrected many months ago. This was flawless. Fuck, I didn't realize it was released over a year ago! Kinda cool now that they're finally getting inducted into the HOF.
Yep, they even sent out a hotline number you could call, and for all those folks who bought the original, flawed copies (like me), they sent out replacement copies free of charge . You didn't even have to send your old copy back, so now I've got both versions.

It's an interesting listen, but I mostly prefer the original mixes. Some of the newer mixes, like "Great Expectations", I do prefer on this version, though.
Old 12-17-13, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In a related KISS on vinyl note, I had a situation similar to this happen to me the other day, only with Hard Rock and Metal albums...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z5ziBCarxEk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sadly, in this case, it also involved a bit of tragedy. A friend of a friend's brother had recently passed away, leaving behind a rather sizable LP and Rock & Roll memorabilia collection. My friend is helping the departed's sister deal with trying to sell most of it off, and I got brought in to consult on how best to help do this, as well as determine the worth of the collection. It was a veritable goldmine, easily worth thousands of dollars. Numerous different pressing of albums, import copies, numbered limited editions, colored vinyl, picture discs, long out of print albums...and a fairly good percentage of the lot still in mint condition and sealed. It was mind blowing.

The guy was a HUGE KISS fan, too. He had three or four crates just of various pressings of KISS albums, plus action figures, posters, Halloween costumes, concert bills, concert T's...pretty much anything KISS collectible you can imagine.

For my help, I was able to pick out some albums of my choosing for an extremely deep discount. I grabbed a few KISS releases I'd been looking for for several years, but had either never been able to find, or always got outbid on. Four of which were KISS Unplugged, Revenge (on marbled blue vinyl), Alive III (on white vinyl) and Alive IV - Symphony. Each of these regularly sells for between $50 to $100 used, and I got all but one of them still sealed. In fairness, I did tell them upfront the worth of these records, but since he had multiple copies of most of them, and she wanted to see them go to someone who would appreciate them, she still let me have them for $10 each, and I practically had to convince her to take the money from me, too.

I also got some Ramones original pressings, and a few other things he had multiple copies of, too.

It was a weird situation of my good luck coming from someone else misfortune, but I just went with it. Sometimes best not to question these things too much, and just go with it.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 12-17-13 at 09:20 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.