Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-10-17, 12:18 PM   #3251
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The VINYL Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Not really a vinyl post but since this is sort of the catch-all thread for two channel audio I figured Id post it here.

I recently went with my wife to buy a punching bag set from a guy off Craigslist. While we were there he mentioned he was also selling a pair of tower speakers and hed offload them for $40. I figured for that price I could take a chance on them being crap. Got them home and inspected them and discovered that they arent crap at all, theyre Infinity Crescendo CS 3009s from the mid-90s. The drivers are in good shape, just need some refoaming. I set them up in my living room and moved my two channel system in there. I pulled out my Onkyo HT receiver to drive them as it was the only thing powerful enough for them. They sound excellent, with high quality ribbon tweeters and two 10 bass drivers.

Now I just need to upgrade my turntable, DAC, and probably the amp and Ill be set.
Congrats!

I have a similar find for an old pair of DBX Soundview V's. I bid on a subwoofer for $1 on an online auction with a pickup about 30mins from my house, these were a throw in, no one wanted them my $1 bid was enough.

I got them home, threw them in my garage and they blew me away. I made room in my basement set up and they continue to astound me, apparently back in the day sometime in the 70s when these were originally bought they went for $2k-$3k, they got a bad rep from a lot of folks I think as the original company was bought out and they thought these models were overpriced.

For me, they are one of my greatest $1 finds, nothing like slapping on some old classic rock on vinyl cranking through these bad boys.

btw, I never connected the subwoofer so no idea if it's any good.
Old 10-10-17, 12:27 PM   #3252
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Album is excellent; I've been listening to it on Spotify. I'm hoping Mondo carries it so I can get it for a bit cheaper. Ordering direct seems... expensive. Sad I missed out on the colour version, though.
Yeah, I missed out on the color variant, too -- got the regular one via the preorder that ended at the tail end of September. It was about $30 shipped from Denmark, so no VAT for me.
Old 10-10-17, 12:29 PM   #3253
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
Nice! Did you get it from Amazon or Newbury? They had a real cool variant, but Amazon ended up dropping to $14 and that was a sweet price. I heard its a dirty vinyl and should be cleaned first but that it was remastered and sounds great! I cant wait to hear mine.
Amazon -- Newbury's was priced higher. I lucked out and Amazon lowered it to $14 and change, so that locked me in for the lowest price.
Old 10-10-17, 12:33 PM   #3254
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Yeah, I missed out on the color variant, too -- got the regular one via the preorder that ended at the tail end of September. It was about $30 shipped from Denmark, so no VAT for me.
Oh right! Forgot that VAT gets taken off at the end. I'll have to order that soon.
Old 10-10-17, 12:41 PM   #3255
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post
Congrats!

I have a similar find for an old pair of DBX Soundview V's. I bid on a subwoofer for $1 on an online auction with a pickup about 30mins from my house, these were a throw in, no one wanted them my $1 bid was enough.

I got them home, threw them in my garage and they blew me away. I made room in my basement set up and they continue to astound me, apparently back in the day sometime in the 70s when these were originally bought they went for $2k-$3k, they got a bad rep from a lot of folks I think as the original company was bought out and they thought these models were overpriced.

For me, they are one of my greatest $1 finds, nothing like slapping on some old classic rock on vinyl cranking through these bad boys.

btw, I never connected the subwoofer so no idea if it's any good.
Nice! A true Id buy that for a dollar! scenario.
Old 10-10-17, 03:29 PM   #3256
DVD Talk Legend

Good shit on those Infinities, Mallet. Especially at that price.
Old 10-10-17, 03:33 PM   #3257
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I just noticed Supermallet's reflection in his TV. New avatar!

Spoiler:
Old 10-13-17, 03:31 PM   #3258
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thats very horror movie!! Haha

Got my Terrortron in and its fantastic! Real good release and pressed real well. I am happy! I also got ALLLLLLLLLL those other releases I ordered in. I had to buy new shelves for all that my collection has been growing. The crazy thing is these two shelves that will old 300 records combined, was cheaper than buying two soundtracks on Waxwork Records..... shit.

My (Too Many) DVDs
Wii Friend Code: 2036-1088-5135-3045
Mario Kart Wii Code: 1977-0748-1136
Old 10-17-17, 04:49 PM   #3259
DVD Talk Legend

I did not know Tim C. from Prophets of Rage and RATM started a couple of side projects -- I ordered the vinyl for:

It was only $7 shipped via Discogs.

I watched the videos and listened to the tunes and I like what heard/saw.
Old 10-20-17, 12:33 AM   #3260
DVD Talk Hero

Here are the releases for next month's Black Friday Record Store Day.

Nothing I'm particularly interested in. Last year there were at least 5 releases I wanted (and got).
Old 10-20-17, 02:27 PM   #3261
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post

Nothing I'm particularly interested in. Last year there were at least 5 releases I wanted (and got).
Yeah not much for me. I will probably go for the doors release and that’s it. Maybe Neil Young.
Old 10-20-17, 02:56 PM   #3262

Yeah, not much. Of slight interest might be the Waylon Jennings new material and The Turtles mono.
Old 10-20-17, 03:06 PM   #3263
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post

I'm mildly interested in Chuck Berry and that Game of Thrones picture disc looks hot but I'd probably never listen to it. Not really enough to draw me into stores.