Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-17, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by dtcarson
I got a player for Christmas and am still learning where to go to browse/shop, both online and in meatspace. I went into one downtown record store but I didn't get a good vibe. I know there have to be more around here.
I've only gotten a few discs since getting the player, and most of them were gifts - but I've had fun rediscovering some of my old albums. I remember buying a bunch from the "record stores" when they started purging vinyl - I would buy pretty much any random alternative or metal album if it was less than three bucks or so.

Anyway - today I went to a thrift store and saw they had albums. Hadn't thought about it before.

Most of them were either in really crappy condition, or stuff I have absolutely no interest in - but they were .49 cents each so I spent a few minutes going through them. (Another thrift store had them for 5 bucks each, which is still a good deal depending on what it is but just seemed painful after seeing .49.)

Anyway - I got this, one of my guilty pleasure movies:

Tag sales / estate sales are your friend, check out estatesales.net for sales in your area, they usually list if the sales have old record albums, they usually run from $1-$3.

Also discogs is a nice site to catolog wnd have fun buying some old records, look for dealers with good reps, and multiple records shipped under a flat rate, dont buy anything less than vg+, Its just not worth it.

Enjoy!
Old 04-17-17, 11:52 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I wonder whats the most you guys paid for a Vinyl ?
Old 04-17-17, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I don't pay top-dollar for used vinyl - you don't know where it's been. I'll pay extra if it's a vinyl I like and it's done right. The most I've paid is $50 for the 2x vinyl 45rpm pure analog audiophile of Skynyrd's "Pronounced", sounds so fucking good!
Old 04-17-17, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Yea man I am so excited and it still sounds great. I got my dad (back) and sister into vinyl while I was home visiting! We hooked up my dads old system and his first, the pioneer, he gave to me. I left the tuner and tape deck behind. We could not find the original turn table.

But this puts me one step closer to the uturn! Actually two with the speakers.
I had the 8500 II for a while. Those Pioneers are great! You will enjoy it.
Old 04-17-17, 02:16 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I need a new amp. My Monoprice hybrid tube amp, which I paid a whopping $150 for, is acting up. There's a quiet high-frequency noise coming from it intermittently, usually after using it for about 20 or 30 minutes. I threw in my spare tubes, but the same thing happens. I shouldn't have expected it to last very long anyway.
Now I'm wondering if I should watch craigslist for some real tube amps to show up or buy a relatively inexpensive solid state amp... hmm...

edit: Jolida JD801A & B&K PT3 pre-amp for $700 together, or Jolida JD102B for $600 alone. Not that I could afford either one of these today, but... are either of these a 'good deal'?

Last edited by Dan; 04-17-17 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-18-17, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I am literally excited for you!
Haha, thanks! The cool thing is my pops has his going and when I heard it.... holy shit.... holy shit! It sounded amazing. My sister has a Crosley and we played a record that skipped, popped you name it. When we played it on my dads, it was as quiet as a mouse. I even played this really warped record and it sounded great. I cant believe it played. I cant believe the difference in sound... What a world of difference.

Now my dad and sister are ordering records. The weekend we got it going, my sister blew maybe $150 on new/used vinyl lol
Old 04-19-17, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dan
I need a new amp. My Monoprice hybrid tube amp, which I paid a whopping $150 for, is acting up. There's a quiet high-frequency noise coming from it intermittently, usually after using it for about 20 or 30 minutes. I threw in my spare tubes, but the same thing happens. I shouldn't have expected it to last very long anyway.
Now I'm wondering if I should watch craigslist for some real tube amps to show up or buy a relatively inexpensive solid state amp... hmm...

edit: Jolida JD801A & B&K PT3 pre-amp for $700 together, or Jolida JD102B for $600 alone. Not that I could afford either one of these today, but... are either of these a 'good deal'?
Not sure if those are a good deal or not, but the best $25 I spend a year is subscribing to Audiokarma.org. You can find deals in there for gear. Some quite reasonable. Many members are very technical savvy and do upgrades and capacitor replacements. I've picked up quite a few pieces.
Never been unhappy with what I received.
Old 04-21-17, 08:28 AM

Anybody swinging by Record Store Day tomorrow?

I was thinking about it, are there usually lines, I don't like lines...

http://www.recordstoreday.com/NewsItem/6762
Old 04-21-17, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably not - there might be a couple releases I might be interested in, but not if I have to get up early and fight crowds and/or hit multiple stores to find or pay extra to find them elsewhere. Actually, the couple things I'm interested in are only getting an initial release on RSD, and then getting a CD release in a month or two - that's what I'll end up buying.
Old 04-21-17, 10:20 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Not sure if those are a good deal or not, but the best $25 I spend a year is subscribing to Audiokarma.org. You can find deals in there for gear. Some quite reasonable. Many members are very technical savvy and do upgrades and capacitor replacements. I've picked up quite a few pieces.
Never been unhappy with what I received.
thanks! I'll keep that in mind until I get my tax return

As for RSD... there's like two or three items I want, none of which I want desperately enough to line up early or anything. Maybe I'll go later in the day if nothing else is going on...
Old 04-21-17, 10:50 AM

I was thinking about just checking it out later in the day, hoping the lines died down and just see whats left to browse
Old 04-21-17, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dan
thanks! I'll keep that in mind until I get my tax return .
Man I am waiting for mine as well. State of New Mexico sucks... glad I moved lol

For RSD on my end, I will not go day of. Theres about 9 releases I want, specifically The Doors and Santana and the 3 Side by Sides. My sister however, will go that day and get some stuff. Now that I live in Colorado, Travel channel listed this record store in Denver as one of the best 8 in the country, will go there on Tuesday to see what was left behind
Old 04-21-17, 03:35 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

The last few years, I've gotten most everything I've wanted from online stores early the following week pretty much at retail cost. I plan on the same this year.

My local store has bands playing, beer tasting, food trucks, and some other activities. I'll be going for the event itself, not particularly to purchase any RSD discs.
Old 04-22-17, 09:13 AM

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

Seems like people (not here) are really ragging on rsd this year. I do agree it's not what it used to be and the flippers are really taking advantage, but in a lot of cases I think it does help out the record stores.
That being said this was the worst year yet for me anyway. There wasn't a whole lot I wanted and it seemed like there was a lot more limited numbers. It was a zoo this morning. Saw tons of people going through their stacks of records and checking their phones. I'm assuming for prices. I heard two people say they were gonna make a bunch of money this year reselling.
Old 04-22-17, 12:02 PM

So I have made my decision....

Reading the reviews, tons of vids on youtube and knowing what I want, plus listening to you guys here. I do not want to go with the Orbit. I know its crazy to say and its great to see alot of you guys support them. But Ill be honest, It has really turned me off thinking about messing with the belt to switch speeds and I want my unit to be user friendly (for my wife). I also want to adjust everything on it: Antiskate, balance, turntable speed, all that. I have found this one:

Made by Fluance, they started up with kickstarter as well, only in Canada. I love how it has a built in preamp that I can bypass if I have my own external. The biggest war is Orbit and Audio Technica. I was almost sold on AT, but the more I looked, the more I saw people upgrading their AT to external amp. With the Fluance I can still do that without having to rewire. I enjoy how I can get an awesome cartridge off the bat from Orbit, but I can just do that down the line with the Fluance. I saw this vid on youtube with this old timer comparing it to the 70s models and he couldn't be happier. It doesnt have the gimmicks of plugging into your computer or playing CDs, or blutooth. Just a straight up player like I want.

Now its been awhile since I have read this WHOLE thread (I did back when I got my first table 1.5 years ago) and don't recall any discussion of the Fluance. Feel free to check them out and chime in guys: http://www.fluance.com/rt81-high-fid...diamond-needle

And the best part? They sell through Amazon and I can use my $200 gift card lol. Happy Record Store day!

Last edited by Ravenous; 04-22-17 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-22-17, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I know nothing about Fluance.
Old 04-22-17, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I know nothing about Fluance.
I was hoping you had But I am just learning more and more about them. They seem to be the Canadian Bose known for speakers and this is their first venture into Turntables. Unlike orbit, they include the que lever and you can really tweak it.
Old 04-22-17, 02:01 PM

Just got back from rsd, got there 3 hrs after opening, still crowded but no lines, grabbed dexter gordon walk the blues, and 35 $1 records. Went with my daughter, had a great time, even though it was picked pretty clean.
Old 04-22-17, 02:55 PM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

For RSD picked up the Rush Cygnus X1 12" single, Stevie Ray Vaughn Live, the Def Leppard EP and a one from last year, a Pearl Jam single. Also grabbed a good copy of J. Geils Band Freeze Frame. Crazy day as the two biggest RSD places had lines around the block hours after opening. We spent most of our day running around to the smaller shops.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 04-24-17 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-22-17, 03:21 PM

My sister just got back from RSD - her first with her new set up, and my dad went as well. For me, she was able to get:

The Doors Live at the Matrix
Santana Live at Woodstock
The Kinks - Got Love
....and the one that shocked me the most: GOBLIN - Notturno!! (I thought this was a UK RSD only, it was not on the US RSD list!). My sister got herself the Doors as well (guys told her if she gets back inline and gets another thats ok - the line was 2 people long). She also got herself
Hawkwind - UA Years

She did not find Def Leppard, Slick Rick, or any of the Side x sides. Ah well, damn good haul and her and my pops had fun. I am excited to see what I find Tuesday
Old 04-22-17, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, after lunch, I went to my local shop just to browse.
It was perfect, not too crowded like it must have been earlier, but a good number of people; healthy for the shop.
I wasn't planning on buying anything, expecting most RSD discs gone, but there were a good number still left and this one below caught my eye. I figured it would make a nice supplement to the "Live at the Greek" vinyl set I have, as it has 3 Zeppelin songs not on that set.
Spinning it now, sounds really good to me! Hearing a full 3 guitars going off on these songs is pretty amazing.

(reverse side is "In The Light")
Old 04-23-17, 11:15 AM

I've seen the Fluance table in person. Looks nice. Havent heard it.

RSD seemed more crowded than usual. Or maybe it was just walking in and being minutes away from a bathroom emergency. I was quick and in and out in 10 minutes. Even found those Peter Hook and The Light concert records at Waterloo. I didn't even see the Ramones set that I kinda wanted. My friend grabbed himself the Sex Pistols set.
Old 04-23-17, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a Fluance (it's the player in that pic above) - I think it's great! (as far as belt-driven tables go)
I have it plugged into an OLD Hitachi amp - sounds fantastic.

What do you need to know?
Old 04-23-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I spent like $40 last night on discogs just getting some stuff to pad out the collection. 3 45's and 12" single recording, and a full length LP.

This morning, I just got that White Zombie RSD exclusive for $6.61 plus shipping - should come out to less than $10. Last night this same 45 LP was going for more than $20 on the secondary market. Fuck that.
Old 04-23-17, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
I have a Fluance (it's the player in that pic above) - I think it's great! (as far as belt-driven tables go)
I have it plugged into an OLD Hitachi amp - sounds fantastic.

What do you need to know?
I knew it! Haha I seriously knew it was it but than I thought, nah he woulda said.

I guess if I could ask one thing it'd be, what made you go with the Fluance?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.