Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-17, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by auto
Thoughts on a decent pre-amp, ideally available through Amazon prime?
What's your budget?

Under $100, this one should be fine.

If you think you're going to try a Moving Coil cartridge down the line, consider this one instead.

Personally, I use this one.
Old 01-16-17, 10:44 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Man, thanks but that's more than the turntable cost (uturn pro plus).

I don't think I'm quite at the same level as some of you guys.
Sorry, I now realize you may have meant a phono pre, which would make sense given that this is the vinyl thread. The Saga is not a phono preamp.
Old 01-16-17, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Things can get tight with those. I just ordered some oversized outer sleeves and two-sides inner sleeves for 2 record sets. All of these are Sleeve City USA products and can be purchased from Amazon or their website.
Awesome. I ordered a 50 pack of the 2.5s. Its cheaper to order from them, but the awesome thing is you can check out through amazon! Ill see how these do and than get some thicker ones for the fat boys
Old 01-16-17, 04:41 PM
Banned by request

Awesome! I'm sure you'll like them. The thicker ones are about the highest quality outer sleeves you can buy, but those thinner ones are no slouch.
Old 01-16-17, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, I now realize you may have meant a phono pre, which would make sense given that this is the vinyl thread. The Saga is not a phono preamp.
Ha! I thought it just had a ton of bells and whistles.
Old 01-16-17, 10:57 PM
Banned by request

Ha! I thought it just had a ton of bells and whistles.
Schiit does make a phono pre, the Mani, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 01-17-17, 08:57 AM
Suspended

Old 01-17-17, 08:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
What's your budget?

If you think you're going to try a Moving Coil cartridge down the line, consider this one instead.

I just ordered the Amazon one.. my u-turn orbit is coming at the end of the week and I realized I needed a pre-amp.. so the $79 looked good and that one is also on the crutchfield website.

Dug out my old collection untouched for 30 years.. have about 25 albums as a starter set to the new/old hobby.

Went into NYC, in the village on Sunday and stumbled into a little place with a lot of mint condition, hit the $10 rack and picked up Carl Perkins, Squeeze, Chicago and Mitch Ryder.

Anxious to set up and start the new obsession. I need to control myself because I already have 2000 cds and don't need to re-buy, going to focus on it from a fun standpoint only.
Old 01-17-17, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
I just ordered the Amazon one.. my u-turn orbit is coming at the end of the week and I realized I needed a pre-amp.. so the $79 looked good and that one is also on the crutchfield website.

Dug out my old collection untouched for 30 years.. have about 25 albums as a starter set to the new/old hobby.

Went into NYC, in the village on Sunday and stumbled into a little place with a lot of mint condition, hit the $10 rack and picked up Carl Perkins, Squeeze, Chicago and Mitch Ryder.

Anxious to set up and start the new obsession. I need to control myself because I already have 2000 cds and don't need to re-buy, going to focus on it from a fun standpoint only.
Good luck with that man!

I was the same, but best part is the majority of my CD collection is with my sister. Luckily we like the same music! I now live in a different state but still bought CDs. When records came into the picture I just send those CDs her way. She has about 5000.
Old 01-17-17, 10:34 AM

Awesome! I'm sure you'll like them. The thicker ones are about the highest quality outer sleeves you can buy, but those thinner ones are no slouch.
I am really excited for them. Once I get em, I am going to try your method of keeping the actual vinyls out of their sleeve; all held together with the outer plastic sleeve. My biggest concern is that it will just "throw them off" or something. lol
Old 01-17-17, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Good luck with that man!

I was the same, but best part is the majority of my CD collection is with my sister. Luckily we like the same music! I now live in a different state but still bought CDs. When records came into the picture I just send those CDs her way. She has about 5000.
I know... I'm heading down the rabbit hole..
Old 01-17-17, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Good luck with that man!

Did you rip digital files before giving them away? I love my records, but I am format agnostic, so I enjoy FLAC files as well as SACD/DVD-A, etc.
Old 01-17-17, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mikael79
Did you rip digital files before giving them away? I love my records, but I am format agnostic, so I enjoy FLAC files as well as SACD/DVD-A, etc.
Oh yea, I got them all on my iTunes. And the rest that were in my sisters possession, she ripped to iTunes for our huge 20000 song ipod.
Old 01-21-17, 10:26 AM

My u-turn orbit arrived, my pre-amp arrived, my vinyl brush arrived.

Oh my obsessed...

Just hit a garage sale and snagged bat out of hell, thriller and bon jovi for $2..

Here we go!
Old 01-21-17, 12:10 PM
Banned by request

Enjoy! There's nothing like spinning vinyl.
Old 01-21-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have fun man!
Old 01-21-17, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Enjoy!
Old 01-21-17, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What's your budget?

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 01-24-17, 12:15 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

What kind of slip mat do y'all use?
Old 01-24-17, 01:21 AM
Banned by request

No slipmat!*

*This is per the manufacturer's recommendation. Many turntables should be used with a slipmat.
Old 01-24-17, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dan
What kind of slip mat do y'all use?
Herbie's Way Excellent II

Last edited by kefrank; 01-24-17 at 01:12 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 01-24-17, 12:54 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

No slipmat!*
*This is per the manufacturer's recommendation. Many turntables should be used with a slipmat.
Speaking of which... my UTurn has an acrylic platter. I just threw the included slipmat on mine when I put it all together, but some have said to use it without one. Maybe I'll do some listening tests with and without it to see how it sounds.

Your link is broken, but I managed to figure out the site. A little pricey, but those do seem really nice. I might end up going that route. Is there a particular thickness I should be going for?
Old 01-24-17, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dan
Speaking of which... my UTurn has an acrylic platter. I just threw the included slipmat on mine when I put it all together, but some have said to use it without one. Maybe I'll do some listening tests with and without it to see how it sounds.

Your link is broken, but I managed to figure out the site. A little pricey, but those do seem really nice. I might end up going that route. Is there a particular thickness I should be going for?
Thanks, not sure how I managed that but I fixed the link.

In general, a slipmat is not recommended on an acrylic platter, though like many things turntable-related, you can probably find differing opinions. If I were you, I would use the acrylic platter sans mat and be done.

That said, I have the 2mm Herbie's mat for my Music Hall MMF-2.2, which is a similar turntable design to other "entry-level" belt drives like your U-Turn.
Old 01-24-17, 04:05 PM
Banned by request

I picked up a used periphery ring clamp and HRX center weight for my VPI. I put my most badly warped record on and amazingly the combo of the two made the record almost completely flat while playing. The combo is also supposed to improve the sound of already flat records as they adhere the records to the platter better than the screw-on Delrin center weight that came with the table.

And with this I'm done with purchases for a while. I canceled my Beatles in Mono and Dylan Bootleg Series box orders, and I won't be ordering the Fire Walk With Me Soundtrack tomorrow. I am expecting a copy of Run The Jewels 3 to arrive later today and that's the last record I'm getting for a while. Time to enjoy what I have.

Old 01-24-17, 04:22 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Dusty!
But seriously, that's awesome. If a company made generic rings like that, I'd buy one... although I'm not sure the tiny motor in the Uturn could handle that much extra weight.

And thanks kefrank for the follow-up. I'll try it out without the slipmat for awhile... do a few A/B tests... and see.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.