Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-17, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by Ravenous
I guess if I could ask one thing it'd be, what made you go with the Fluance?
A combination of price/quality/simplicity and the overall positive reviews.
Old 04-24-17, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
A combination of price/quality/simplicity and the overall positive reviews.
Yup, I'm in the same boat! How long have you had yours and any pro and/or cons you would list?
Old 04-24-17, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I spent like $40 last night on discogs just getting some stuff to pad out the collection. 3 45's and 12" single recording, and a full length LP.

This morning, I just got that White Zombie RSD exclusive for $6.61 plus shipping - should come out to less than $10. Last night this same 45 LP was going for more than $20 on the secondary market. Fuck that.
Yea I looked up some things and theyre stupidly priced for the things I didnt get. The cool thing is that Twist & Shout in Denver are now able to hold RSD releases as of this morning. I called them up and they guy ran all around the store getting the others I wanted and theyll hold them for a week for me. Tomorrow I shall have:

Slick Rick - Adventures of....
Def Leppard - EP
Hawklords - Live 78
Old 04-24-17, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the Ramones set on their official site this morning. I guess I am good now.
Old 04-24-17, 11:55 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

If anyone's still looking for some RSD stuff, check out www.bullmoose.com. Within the last couple hours, they posted their remaining stock. I just grabbed the SDRE album and the DEP 7" on there for a normal price, plus free shipping (for orders over $30)

Old 04-24-17, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dan
If anyone's still looking for some RSD stuff, check out www.bullmoose.com. Within the last couple hours, they posted their remaining stock. I just grabbed the SDRE album and the DEP 7" on there for a normal price, plus free shipping (for orders over $30)

Thanks for the tip bro! I was able to snag the side by sides I wanted, the kinks, and added Janes Addiction for the heck of it. Free shipping made this a heck of a deal!
Old 04-24-17, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sadly, no Grateful Dead LP anywhere.

Record Store Day Pickup
Bowie - BOWPROMO
Lou Reed - Perfect Night
Pink Floyd - Astronomy Domine
Zappa - Rollo (10")

7"'s: Pearl Jam (gave it to a friend, can't stand them), Nels Cline, The Smiths, The Beatles
Old 04-24-17, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup, I'm in the same boat! How long have you had yours and any pro and/or cons you would list?
I've had it for almost a year now.
The belt-drive may be just a hair bit slower than 33.3 - I might subtlety notice it only on music that I'm intimately familiar with. But that's really splitting hairs.
I'm not sure if I set up the tone-arm/weight thingy right - I followed the instructions, and it seems right, just not sure. But I think that's the case for almost all turntables.
Not too many cons, really. The only con, really, is that it's not direct-drive and it doesn't have an arm-return, but there is an option for the table to stop spinning.
The sound (through my system - besides the old Hitachi amp, I have some old-school, late '70s speaker, with newer woofers as well) is pretty great, way better than most CDs through the same system.
I accidentally bent the needle while dusting, and it was easy/cheap to replace. Just the simple $24 needle, rather than the entire cartridge.
Old 04-24-17, 01:41 PM

I've had it for almost a year now.
The belt-drive may be just a hair bit slower than 33.3 - I might subtlety notice it only on music that I'm intimately familiar with. But that's really splitting hairs.
I'm not sure if I set up the tone-arm/weight thingy right - I followed the instructions, and it seems right, just not sure. But I think that's the case for almost all turntables.
Not too many cons, really. The only con, really, is that it's not direct-drive and it doesn't have an arm-return, but there is an option for the table to stop spinning.
The sound (through my system - besides the old Hitachi amp, I have some old-school, late '70s speaker, with newer woofers as well) is pretty great, way better than most CDs through the same system.
I accidentally bent the needle while dusting, and it was easy/cheap to replace. Just the simple $24 needle, rather than the entire cartridge.
Good to know man, thanks for sharing. I am reading now all the Amazon reviews on it and it seems the biggest hit or miss is that the speed will be off or fail. Several people need it to spin for 24 hours and it "sets" others had to return theirs for repairs or get another and finally their 3rd one worked. Im grinding my teeth with the hit or miss issues
Old 04-24-17, 02:10 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Skipped the stores for RSD this year. Got what I wanted from bullmoose today which was 3 EPs (2 Kinks and 1 T.Rex).
Old 04-24-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good to know man, thanks for sharing. I am reading now all the Amazon reviews on it and it seems the biggest hit or miss is that the speed will be off or fail. Several people need it to spin for 24 hours and it "sets" others had to return theirs for repairs or get another and finally their 3rd one worked. Im grinding my teeth with the hit or miss issues
Never heard of this "24 hour spin" thing. Come to think of it, the only time I noticed the speed being off was early, well before it had spun for that long, so maybe it hadn't "set" yet.
Old 04-24-17, 02:46 PM

Never heard of this "24 hour spin" thing. Come to think of it, the only time I noticed the speed being off was early, well before it had spun for that long, so maybe it hadn't "set" yet.
Thats good! Everything on Amazon seems to have been around the same time, so Im thinking they got a bad batch of motors. I am willing to chance it if I am covered at no cost and just gotta mail stuff back. But I am going to wait to see how reviews progress.

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Skipped the stores for RSD this year. Got what I wanted from bullmoose today which was 3 EPs (2 Kinks and 1 T.Rex).
Yea, I've already been emailed that they shipped all the goods! Ill be darned. I like this website.
Old 04-24-17, 04:05 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, mine shipped too. Probably won't actually go out until tomorrow, but still
Old 04-24-17, 05:33 PM

There's an iPhone app that will check the speed. Actually two at least. Turntabulator and RPM. Can't recall if we discussed them here or not.
Old 04-24-17, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
There's an iPhone app that will check the speed. Actually two at least. Turntabulator and RPM. Can't recall if we discussed them here or not.
I that's cool! I do bloke how you can calibrate the speed with the Fluance, but the complaints are very close to eachother, I'm thinking bad batch of motors? But this shit is now making me consider the AT LP120....
Old 04-24-17, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan

Good taste man, those were the two RSD releases I was most interested in. I didn't even bother going on Saturday, but I placed an order at bullmoose earlier today for The Rising Tide and a few things from previous RSDs that they still had in stock. I was surprised to see there are still Force Awakens picture discs available new from last year's RSD. I guess that one wasn't very limited.

Anyway, your post reminded me about the Dillinger Escape Plan 7" that I'd forgotten about, so I just ordered that one too along with a few other things.

Last edited by kefrank; 04-24-17 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-25-17, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Ordered this one from Discogs for $6.61 plus 2.99$ for shipping. It's averaging about $20 without shipping on Discogs and I've seen it go up to ridiculous amounts on eBay. It is an RSD 2017 and it has 4 songs, but I am glad I snagged it without having to leave the house. Those Discog alerts come in handy.

I also ordered a Fu Manchu LP that I did not have:

I have just about every one of their releases except for California Crossing -- I read that they were going to reissue that one this year.
Old 04-25-17, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

I also ordered a Fu Manchu LP that I did not have:

I have just about every one of their releases except for California Crossing -- I read that they were going to reissue that one this year.

San Clemente's own! I love Fu Manchu, and not just because we have mutual friends. Need to keep an eye out for their vinyl reissues. Obey might be my favorite albums of theirs.
Actually, "The Action is Go" is my favorite Fu - they just have so many albums, and honestly, they all sound mostly the same, which is a good thing.

*edit to ask:
Which is your favorite of theirs - and which has the best vinyl pressing in your opinon?

Last edited by slop101; 04-25-17 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-25-17, 08:45 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank
Good taste man, those were the two RSD releases I was most interested in. I didn't even bother going on Saturday, but I placed an order at bullmoose earlier today for The Rising Tide and a few things from previous RSDs that they still had in stock. I was surprised to see there are still Force Awakens picture discs available new from last year's RSD. I guess that one wasn't very limited.

Anyway, your post reminded me about the Dillinger Escape Plan 7" that I'd forgotten about, so I just ordered that one too along with a few other things.
Nice (and thanks)! Glad you were able to get those two as well. The only other one I really wanted, but didn't get, was the Thrice 7" but I'll keep an eye on the usual sites to see if it pops up for a decent price.
Old 04-25-17, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

San Clemente's own! I love Fu Manchu, and not just because we have mutual friends. Need to keep an eye out for their vinyl reissues. Obey might be my favorite albums of theirs.
Actually, "The Action is Go" is my favorite Fu - they just have so many albums, and honestly, they all sound mostly the same, which is a good thing.

*edit to ask:
Which is your favorite of theirs - and which has the best vinyl pressing in your opinon?

My top-3 are:

The Covers
Godzilla's Eatin' Dust
King of the Road

As far as the best pressing goes I would say:

The Covers
Godzilla's Eatin' Dust
King of the Road
Daredevil

Basically, a lot of their newer reissues sound great. I also have a bunch of the newer 7" and those sound great, too. I'm really digging the TLC given to their catalog by whoever is remastering and repressing them.
Old 04-25-17, 05:08 PM

I'm in Denver and hit up that record store twist and shout, good god shit is expensive. I just told my self NO MORE. IM DONE. ugh
Old 04-28-17, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I will probably get this in a week or two. Magic Sword is my new amazing discovery. They are a synthwave/synthrock band that fight the forces of evil. They're very cult/underground, but the tunes are phenomenal.

http://www.magicswordmusic.com/shop/vol-1-deluxe-vinyl

Old 04-30-17, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ended up getting this. I think I'll be getting better playback if I have a dedicated preamp as opposed to running it directly through the my Onkyo 705.

My only problem is that I forgot it needed an additional set of RCA cables and I had to order them after the fact.

Spoiler:

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Phon...reamp+pro-ject
Old 05-01-17, 06:50 AM

Oh yeah I bet that's going to be a huge improvement. I needed a digital optical cable the other day for the TV. Ordered Throug Amazon Prime Now and had it in a couple hours along with some other stuff. I'm over flowing with RCA cables though!
Old 05-01-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's heavy and a sturdy little bastard, too. Weighs about 2 pounds and the casing is solid. I can chuck it on someone's head and probably crack their skull open with it. I thought it would be some made in China component, but it's actually made in Austria.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.