Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Old 04-19-24, 07:56 PM
  #1376  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 23,752
Received 754 Likes on 616 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Dumb question if you did a Target Pre-order you still get the double album?

I did not know there was a Black Dog special edition Vinyl.

Missed out on that one.
Old 04-19-24, 08:03 PM
  #1377  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 3,583
Received 177 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Dumb question if you did a Target Pre-order you still get the double album?

I did not know there was a Black Dog special edition Vinyl.

Missed out on that one.
All physical media is just album 1. You don't get album 2.
Old 04-19-24, 08:04 PM
  #1378  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,668
Received 6,407 Likes on 4,384 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Dumb question if you did a Target Pre-order you still get the double album?
Not a dumb question. But no, if you pre-ordered TPD you get what you ordered TPD. The TPD Anthology does not have a physical release, at least at the moment. Just like the Midnights 3AM edition was digital only upon surprise release.
Old 04-19-24, 08:11 PM
  #1379  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 23,752
Received 754 Likes on 616 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Dam so how much is album 2?
Old 04-19-24, 08:14 PM
  #1380  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,668
Received 6,407 Likes on 4,384 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Dam so how much is album 2?
Since that was just answered twice in the immediate preceding posts, that does qualify as a dumb question.
It's not for sale, at least not yet. Outside of a digital copy of the entire 'double album", which is referred to as The Tortured Poets Department -The Anthology.
Old 04-19-24, 08:25 PM
  #1381  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,668
Received 6,407 Likes on 4,384 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Meathead
Great video for Fortnight

It's very good. She's ready for her feature film directing debut.
Maybe OB can figure out where Post Malone is singing now.
Old 04-19-24, 08:33 PM
  #1382  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,668
Received 6,407 Likes on 4,384 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Now the circle is complete for me.

Old 04-19-24, 09:59 PM
  #1383  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,668
Received 6,407 Likes on 4,384 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

It didn't click with me the significance of the cameos in the video.
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (04-20-24)
Old 04-20-24, 12:04 AM
  #1384  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,668
Received 6,407 Likes on 4,384 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Kdogg
I like album 2 more than album 1.
Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, the songs she did with Dessener are much, MUCH better than any of the other songs.
The Ringer put together an album Exit Survey with their staff. As always, their first question was What's your tweet-length review? I enjoyed this answer
Julianna Ress: An album of Midnights B-sides improved by adding an album of evermore B-sides.
​​​​​​​
Old 04-20-24, 01:16 AM
  #1385  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 43,933
Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

It almost like she writes and records so much, she's not clear on what her best songs are.
Old 04-20-24, 08:34 AM
  #1386  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 49,671
Received 957 Likes on 799 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Decker
This detailed review of TPD brought to you from the author of this review of folklore :



And this review of Midnights.
whatís ur point? I like her enough to buy her albums, just a few disappointments. and, who really cares? why you would find old posts of mine to make some kind of point is beyond me.
Old 04-20-24, 09:04 AM
  #1387  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,668
Received 6,407 Likes on 4,384 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by OldBoy
whatís ur point? I like her enough to buy her albums, just a few disappointments. and, who really cares? why you would find old posts of mine to make some kind of point is beyond me.
If you hated folklore and Midnights, thereís no way you were gonna like this album. Maybe you donít like Taylor Swift. Thatís okay. There are plenty of artists I donít care for, but I donít pop up in their threads every few years to say I donít like their new album after one listen.
Old 04-20-24, 09:56 AM
  #1388  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 49,671
Received 957 Likes on 799 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

i have at least 4 Taylor Swift albums on my phone, most of which i love. especially 1989.
Old 04-20-24, 01:00 PM
  #1389  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,668
Received 6,407 Likes on 4,384 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Upon re-listen, I'm really struck by Who's Afraid of Little Old Me? That is a powerful track.
She really needs to work with some new producers. This stuff is sounding very Same-y. ​​
loml intro sounds exactly like exile.

And I'm not kidding when I say that she has released the same song on three albums in a row.
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (04-22-24)
Old 04-20-24, 08:09 PM
  #1390  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 28,074
Received 1,208 Likes on 856 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Listened to the entire 2 hours in the car with my kid as we drove around Houston today.
(I also listened to it on headphones by myself )

Itís weird. All of the songs are good. Like none that Iíd call straight up fillerÖ and yet a good chunk of it all sounds veryÖ samey. Thatís not necessarily a negative. Just maybe not quite what I expected, but this comes from someone who has a kid who mostly just plays random tracks all the time, rarely full albums.

So based on that, itís fine. I could see getting bored with some of it, though. I do like the back half more than the front, starting with The Black Dog. Front half will have some decent singles, but the opening song was a weak first choice, IMO.

7 tear-soaked diaries out of 10.
Old 04-20-24, 08:17 PM
  #1391  
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner
 
Obi-Wanma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 12,560
Received 796 Likes on 384 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

I returned my CD today because I'm not getting caught in this game again and I'm not paying full price for half of an album. I will live with the digital version and burn my own CD's if I need them for any reason.
The following users liked this post:
Dan (04-20-24)
Old 04-20-24, 09:07 PM
  #1392  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 3,583
Received 177 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Obi-Wanma
I returned my CD today because I'm not getting caught in this game again and I'm not paying full price for half of an album. I will live with the digital version and burn my own CD's if I need them for any reason.
Just wait until she releases the noon version with three more songs. Then the happy hour version and the witching hour version.
The following users liked this post:
Bob_Bobbson (04-24-24)
Old 04-20-24, 09:35 PM
  #1393  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 7,411
Received 579 Likes on 359 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Just wait until she releases the noon version with three more songs. Then the happy hour version and the witching hour version.
Taylor Swift even makes Gene Simmons blush.
The following users liked this post:
Bob_Bobbson (04-24-24)
Old 04-20-24, 11:03 PM
  #1394  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,668
Received 6,407 Likes on 4,384 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Obi-Wanma
I returned my CD today because I'm not getting caught in this game again and I'm not paying full price for half of an album. I will live with the digital version and burn my own CD's if I need them for any reason.
Originally Posted by Kdogg
Just wait until she releases the noon version with three more songs. Then the happy hour version and the witching hour version.
Originally Posted by stvn1974
Taylor Swift even makes Gene Simmons blush.
Let's be clear in the narrative. She listed a 16 track album, plus a bonus track for sale on the LP. She delivered that. The fact that she dropped a mind-boggling 15 additional tracks at 2AM doesn't take away from the official album. And while she will probably sell the bonus tracks on vinyl some day, that's not the same as trying to milk everyone to buy it twice. If she wanted to milk her fanbase for every last dime, she could have released TPD, Pt2 in 6 months and made another fortune.
Old 04-21-24, 12:38 AM
  #1395  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 3,583
Received 177 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Decker
Let's be clear in the narrative. She listed a 16 track album, plus a bonus track for sale on the LP. She delivered that. The fact that she dropped a mind-boggling 15 additional tracks at 2AM doesn't take away from the official album. And while she will probably sell the bonus tracks on vinyl some day, that's not the same as trying to milk everyone to buy it twice. If she wanted to milk her fanbase for every last dime, she could have released TPD, Pt2 in 6 months and made another fortune.
Yet she has multiple vinyls, CDs and cassettes with a different track 17 and released a second digital download hours after a bunch of fans bought the first one at midnight. In economics there are models for profit maximization. With FOMO and internet clout there are even more. Sheís following every single one to a T. They are going to write this into future Econ 101 textbooks because itís a theoretical unicorn manifested.

​​​​​​The Tortured Poets Departmentís sales were bolstered by its availability across 19 different physical configurations (nine CDs, six vinyl LPs and four cassettes ó with four of the physical configurations exclusively sold by Target stores) and two digital download offerings (the standard 16-song album, and a surprise deluxe 31-song edition that was released two hours after the original album bowed).
https://www.billboard.com/music/char...235662005/amp/

Don't think there aren't a significant number of people buying multiple versions. Itís like Kevin Bacon in Animal House.



I will add that the commendable thing is the digital anthologyís price. Thatís one of the few places that money was left on the table. The blow back from a higher price point and double dripping probably was reason.

Last edited by Kdogg; 04-21-24 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-21-24, 01:22 AM
  #1396  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 28,074
Received 1,208 Likes on 856 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

To be clear, the "bonus track for sale on the LP" was actually four different bonus tracks, each one timed and available individually on a different version of the vinyl/CD, with the unstated hint being that someone would need to get each version to get all bonus tracks.
There's even an official $45 box to house all four vinyl copies together, sold separately, naturally. For those that are the target for this box, they'd be spending about $230+tax to have all four vinyl copies and the box shipped individually, since they weren't available at the same time to combine orders.

Even calling them "bonus" tracks is a bit egregious, since Swift quite literally called it a "secret DOUBLE album" herself at 2AM. That is the official version; the one in 20 years that everyone will point to as the full album release, not the single album that was intended to be half the material, unless one is willing to believe that the 15 "bonus" songs will be mostly forgotten or won't ever be singles, but I'd say that's reaching.

Putting aside the physical copies, say someone pre-ordered the digital version direct from her website for $12. or iTunes or wherever.
2AM rolls around and, oh, by the way, for $3 more, you could have had the official full album, but since there's no refunds and you can't buy the day one DLC second half of the album as an add-on, that'll be another $15 on top of the $12 you already paid. Or, in the case of iTunes, you can buy the 15 "extra" songs at $1.29/each.
At least Obi-Wanma was able to return the CD to the store; no refunds on taylorswift.com, by the way.

Ultimately, none of this really matters.
It's just capitalism. The "real money" for a mega star is in the corporate partnerships, hundreds of millions of streams, and hundreds of thousands of concert tickets and merch sold on tour, not a measly tens of thousands of physical cd/vinyl sales. You can be a fan and never pay a dime, too, but anyone can still see that this type of thing is designed to extract the most amount of money out of the only people willing to buy a physical or digital product in the first place; Just because there are more ways she could still fleece those fans, that doesn't change that it's still a genuine fleecing. It's ok to be critical of the business while still enjoying the music and art for what it is.
Personally, I only care about any of this business stuff because 1) I find it interesting, and 2) it's the only part of Taylor Swift The Brand that I take any real issue with because it's so excessive in practice, and I don't know of any other example in modern music history as outwardly and aggressively apathetic to those that are buying the stuff you're selling.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan:
JeremyM (04-22-24), Obi-Wanma (04-21-24)
Old 04-21-24, 09:34 AM
  #1397  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,808
Received 1,174 Likes on 915 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Not like she needs help with sales numbers but one thing kind of irritating with Swift is releasing bonus tracks upon multiple releases.

That basically artificially inflates her sales numbers because some of her diehard fans will buy multiple copies to have everything. Sheís really kind of the queen of milking her fanbase with variants.

I like her music too so itís not that I think she lacks talent but some of her practices Iím not a fan of. Especially when clearly she had these songs ready and could have basically just released a double album right away.
Old 04-21-24, 09:46 AM
  #1398  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 2,094
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Dan
To be clear, the "bonus track for sale on the LP" was actually four different bonus tracks, each one timed and available individually on a different version of the vinyl/CD, with the unstated hint being that someone would need to get each version to get all bonus tracks.
There's even an official $45 box to house all four vinyl copies together, sold separately, naturally. For those that are the target for this box, they'd be spending about $230+tax to have all four vinyl copies and the box shipped individually, since they weren't available at the same time to combine orders.

Even calling them "bonus" tracks is a bit egregious, since Swift quite literally called it a "secret DOUBLE album" herself at 2AM. That is the official version; the one in 20 years that everyone will point to as the full album release, not the single album that was intended to be half the material, unless one is willing to believe that the 15 "bonus" songs will be mostly forgotten or won't ever be singles, but I'd say that's reaching.

Putting aside the physical copies, say someone pre-ordered the digital version direct from her website for $12. or iTunes or wherever.
2AM rolls around and, oh, by the way, for $3 more, you could have had the official full album, but since there's no refunds and you can't buy the day one DLC second half of the album as an add-on, that'll be another $15 on top of the $12 you already paid. Or, in the case of iTunes, you can buy the 15 "extra" songs at $1.29/each.
At least Obi-Wanma was able to return the CD to the store; no refunds on taylorswift.com, by the way.

Ultimately, none of this really matters.
It's just capitalism. The "real money" for a mega star is in the corporate partnerships, hundreds of millions of streams, and hundreds of thousands of concert tickets and merch sold on tour, not a measly tens of thousands of physical cd/vinyl sales. You can be a fan and never pay a dime, too, but anyone can still see that this type of thing is designed to extract the most amount of money out of the only people willing to buy a physical or digital product in the first place; Just because there are more ways she could still fleece those fans, that doesn't change that it's still a genuine fleecing. It's ok to be critical of the business while still enjoying the music and art for what it is.
Personally, I only care about any of this business stuff because 1) I find it interesting, and 2) it's the only part of Taylor Swift The Brand that I take any real issue with because it's so excessive in practice, and I don't know of any other example in modern music history as outwardly and aggressively apathetic to those that are buying the stuff you're selling.
I don't follow or listen to her as what little I have heard doesn't appeal to me. But I did order this cd from her website as my daughter just HAD to have it since it came with a "bonus" track. Had I known this so-called "bonus" track was not that really much of a bonus I would have saved several bucks on the shipping and got it elsewhere. But I most definitely agree that this is nothing more than a fleecing of her fans. It's as if she saw Garth Brooks model for running up album sales with the ultra cheap box sets and said "Hey Garth, hold my beer". Except being a newer-ish artist she can get by without having to sell them at a discount like he did.
Old 04-21-24, 11:07 AM
  #1399  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,668
Received 6,407 Likes on 4,384 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Wow, I havenít seen the full review yet, but clearly Anthony Fantano hates this album.

The following users liked this post:
Bob_Bobbson (04-24-24)
Old 04-21-24, 11:11 AM
  #1400  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Meathead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Snowtown, USA
Posts: 4,810
Received 488 Likes on 337 Posts
Re: Taylor Swift -- Discussion Thread

Haters gonna hate.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.