Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.94%
14.06%
39.06%
15.63%
6.25%
4.69%
4.69%
1.56%
1.56%
1.56%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-21, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Lucas still interfered with his own movies.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (04-08-21)
Old 04-08-21, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Perhaps I treated you too harshly, Chris Terrio...
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...man-v-superman

So my question is: Were a lot of these mandates originated by Snyder and then backed by the studio? Or were they made up by the studio whole cloth?

I do still lay a lot of the blame on Terrio, however.
The interview sounds a bit revisionist. I’ve watched the directors cut of BvS twice and don’t see what he’s talking about regarding capturing/reflecting America’s divided political climate in that story. That movie has the broad strokes of an ok story with ideas that range from quite good to absolutely awful. The same could be said for the Snyder cut. I still think that both films feel like they would’ve benefited greatly from the input of a trusted outside opinion to shoot down the dumber ideas.
IBJoel (04-09-21)
Old 04-09-21, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021, D: Snyder) -- HBO Max Exclusive

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2021/03/24/boxes
Old 04-09-21, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

And yet the human one was the last one he was able to claim.

Did I miss the explanation for why the Amazons and Atlanteans were like "well, I guess we failed our jobs, I guess it's up to the humans?" I mean I know Wonder Woman and Aquaman technically belong to both but both are also outsiders. The end of the world wasn't important enough for the Amazons to do anything other than shoot a flaming arrow?
Old 04-09-21, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
And yet the human one was the last one he was able to claim.

Did I miss the explanation for why the Amazons and Atlanteans were like "well, I guess we failed our jobs, I guess it's up to the humans?" I mean I know Wonder Woman and Aquaman technically belong to both but both are also outsiders. The end of the world wasn't important enough for the Amazons to do anything other than shoot a flaming arrow?
I worked though.
Old 04-13-21, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Watched first 3 chapters. This is already light years better than the Whedon one. I am enjoying this. Will try to finish up over next few days.

Last edited by Deftones; 04-14-21 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-03-21, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Has anyone counted how many fucking times Steppenwolf told someone the scent of the mother boxes was on them? Jesus Christ, I'm surprised they didn't have someone at some point tell him, "Yeah, yeah, the scent is on us, we get it. Shut up!"
IBJoel (05-03-21)
Old 05-03-21, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Perhaps I treated you too harshly, Chris Terrio...
Well no I know his name.

How I feel:

The Whedon Version plays out like an episode of Might Morphin Power Rangers. It starts and ends pretty quick. The good guys lose a little and then beat the bad guy. I confused some of it with Batman VS Superman. I honestly don't remember it too well. The movie was never Whedon's. He just did good with The Avengers, and served like technician to get the film finished when Snyder had to deal with a family tragedy.

The Snyder Version is very thorough and up there with the best MCU/DCU movies. I'm into jam bands and movies that last a long time. I do not believe you can do much wrong in a long movie. I've watched Nicolas Winding Refn's Too Old to Die Young twice (which is my best example of how long you can stretch out substance with hypnotic style). I love feeling like a sloth and losing myself in a good, long movie or series.

I revisited Man of Steel again. And then along with Snyder's Youtube commentary where he's sitting there in a bath robe. Haha. I really liked it after getting more attached to Justice League.

I'll be delighted if these movies continue. I'd understand if they don't.
Old 11-05-21, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Looks like Ray Fisher has made more claims about being mistreated on the JLA set. I'm sorry (and this has NOTHING to do with race), but Fisher has never appeared to be credible. It always seemed to more of a "I didn't get more screen time and I'm angry". I do believe the allegations that Whedon is a prick. But when it comes to Fisher? I feel his story has been all over the place and I just don't feel he's reliable. And furthermore, his character wouldn't normally have had a big role anyway. I think the dude is a dumbass. He can complain all he wants. He's a moron.

Who the fuck even knew that character was part of the JLA before the movie? I sure as shit didn't. My knowledge of the JLA is mostly based on Grant Morrison's awesome run, and that character sure as shit wasn't part of it.
Old 11-05-21, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

I also find it ridiculous that he was like, "I won't work for DC Comic Films again so long as Hamada is in charge." Guess what, dumbass? They don't WANT YOU WORKING FOR THEM. You idiot. It's great of you to issue that statement but it means fuckall. You're not in a position of power. You had a good role, making money. You fucked that up cause of your ego. Learn to live with your decision. You're a complete clown and deserve what's happened to you.
Old 11-05-21, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Who the fuck even knew that character was part of the JLA before the movie? I sure as shit didn't. My knowledge of the JLA is mostly based on Grant Morrison's awesome run, and that character sure as shit wasn't part of it.
The "classic" line-up of JLA was Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), Flash, Aquaman, and Martian Manhunter.

About ten years ago, DC Comics revamped their universe with an event called "New 52," and Cyborg, who was until then associated with the Titans, replaced Martian Manhunter in the core Justice League line-up.
Old 11-05-21, 09:37 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The "classic" line-up of JLA was Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), Flash, Aquaman, and Martian Manhunter.

About ten years ago, DC Comics revamped their universe with an event called "New 52," and Cyborg, who was until then associated with the Titans, replaced Martian Manhunter in the core Justice League line-up.
Are you sure as shit about that, though?
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
Kurt D (11-05-21), Why So Blu? (11-05-21)
Old 11-05-21, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I also find it ridiculous that he was like, "I won't work for DC Comic Films again so long as Hamada is in charge." Guess what, dumbass? They don't WANT YOU WORKING FOR THEM. You idiot. It's great of you to issue that statement but it means fuckall. You're not in a position of power. You had a good role, making money. You fucked that up cause of your ego. Learn to live with your decision. You're a complete clown and deserve what's happened to you.
Wow.
The following 2 users liked this post by Why So Blu?:
Dr. DVD (11-06-21), Giantrobo (11-05-21)
Old 11-05-21, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Hey, it's Flash (Barry Allen).

The New 52 basically de-aged everyone for... reasons, which messed up the Teen Titans (since it was originally based on sidekick characters and only Batman somehow had sidekicks) and thus the New Teen Titans, which Cyborg was associated with, so they "graduated" him to the Justice League for among other reasons, diversity (the JL cartoon did something similar but they removed Hal in favor of John Stewart and included Hawkgirl... but Geoff Johns who was writing the Justice League wasn't going to replace Hal). He's also conveniently the tech deus ex machina/Iron Man-like character.

I guess we're lucky Goonies85 jumped aboard the Morrison run because for years before that sometimes Superman and sometimes Batman weren't part of the league, and he'd be wondering where Blue Beetle and Booster Gold were.
IBJoel (11-05-21)
Old 11-05-21, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Hey, it's Flash (Barry Allen).

The New 52 basically de-aged everyone for... reasons, which messed up the Teen Titans (since it was originally based on sidekick characters and only Batman somehow had sidekicks) and thus the New Teen Titans, which Cyborg was associated with, so they "graduated" him to the Justice League for among other reasons, diversity (the JL cartoon did something similar but they removed Hal in favor of John Stewart and included Hawkgirl... but Geoff Johns who was writing the Justice League wasn't going to replace Hal). He's also conveniently the tech deus ex machina/Iron Man-like character.

I guess we're lucky Goonies85 jumped aboard the Morrison run because for years before that sometimes Superman and sometimes Batman weren't part of the league, and he'd be wondering where Blue Beetle and Booster Gold were.
In the words of Ted Kord, "Bwahahahaha"
Old 11-05-21, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 982 Likes on 692 Posts

One rumor I heard is that while on set he'd cook a delicious meal in his trailer but wouldn't invite any of the other cast and crew to join him. Huge if true.
The following 2 users liked this post by rocket1312:
Kurt D (11-05-21), The Questyen (11-10-21)
Old 11-05-21, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Clearly Ray is speaking up again because Ruby Rose just came out with allegations about CW/WB being Trash and treating people like shit. DC Fanboy Clowns can deny or ignore this stuff all they want but CW/WB has a reputation for being assholes to their people.

https://dailyreuters.com/ray-fisher-...-batwoman-set/

In a post on Instagram, Ray threw his weight on behalf of the actress and wrote: “Good on Ruby Rose. Naming names isn’t easy, but it must be done.”

In the past, the actress was in a series on Instagram Stories, claimed that working conditions at the set were hazardous and also mentioned the possibility of personal conduct.

“Enough is enough,” she said.

“I’m going to tell the whole world what really happened on that set.”
Old 11-05-21, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Are you sure as shit about that, though?
I admit that I use that term way too much. Mostly because it’s so stupid and makes me laugh.
Old 11-06-21, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Yep. Shut up an play House N***a if you know what's good for you. Eat that sh$t sandwich and ask for more, it's how Hollywood works. With all of the strikes happening and allegations of unsafe work environments emerging left and right, I hope more stuff like this comes to light and the whole system gets a re-work.
Why So Blu? (11-06-21)
Old 11-07-21, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Yep. Shut up an play House N***a if you know what's good for you. Eat that sh$t sandwich and ask for more, it's how Hollywood works. With all of the strikes happening and allegations of unsafe work environments emerging left and right, I hope more stuff like this comes to light and the whole system gets a re-work.
Both of thoses are extremes. Fisher has not shared anything that would suggest something racist happened on set or at Warner. For all we know Whedon was a prick to anyone who wasn't a star at the time or friends with him. Telling the world the work environment was toxic is fine, but if you can't or won't share any details, at one point you should shut up, not because you aren't allowed to talk about it, but to let it go. Fisher wasn't abused, he wasn't discriminated against. His part was cut short by the new director, who was also a prick.

That being said, supporting a fellow actress, who came forward with her story, is totally fine and has nothing to do with his story.
Old 11-09-21, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts

Since starting a sub to HBO Go I've been meaning to watch this but that 4 hour runtime is so daunting. I liked the Whedon cut but one of the major reasons why I did is because of the sub 2 hour runtime. After watching WW84 and Birds of Prey I'm really hesitant to jump in to this one.
Old 11-09-21, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Since starting a sub to HBO Go I've been meaning to watch this but that 4 hour runtime is so daunting. I liked the Whedon cut but one of the major reasons why I did is because of the sub 2 hour runtime. After watching WW84 and Birds of Prey I'm really hesitant to jump in to this one.
I haven’t watched it since it since the weekend it was initially released but it was/is broken up into easily digestible chapters. I watched the first three chapters one night and the next three plus epilogue the second night.

Worked out well for me without being too daunting.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
IBJoel (11-09-21), tanman (11-10-21)
Old 11-09-21, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Yeah it’s pretty easy to watch in smaller chunks if you don’t have the time to devote to it all at once. Also I didn’t feel like it was a slog to get through. The runtime is long, but it felt like it went by pretty fast while I was watching it.
tanman (11-10-21)
Old 11-09-21, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Justice League is far better than those two examples. I was one of the few who really liked WW84. But I felt nothing with Birds of Prey.

In short, the new cut reworks, replaces, and removes a lot. It doesn't feel the same as the Whedon cut.
Old 11-09-21, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Yeah, chunk it up, it works fine. I never watched the Whedon cut, but I did think this was better than most of the MCU films I've sat through.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.