Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.94%
14.06%
39.06%
15.63%
6.25%
4.69%
4.69%
1.56%
1.56%
1.56%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 11-09-21, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 955 Likes on 604 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Since starting a sub to HBO Go I've been meaning to watch this but that 4 hour runtime is so daunting. I liked the Whedon cut but one of the major reasons why I did is because of the sub 2 hour runtime. After watching WW84 and Birds of Prey I'm really hesitant to jump in to this one.
Birds of Prey is my favorite DC movie after Wonder Woman.

Just take a Saturday and get through all of the Snyder Cut at once. It's not worth devoting two evenings. Just power through, see the few things that are worth seeing and then never think about it again.
Old 11-09-21, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,294 Likes on 1,689 Posts
Re: Zack Snyder’s Justice League (Snyder, 2021) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Since starting a sub to HBO Go I've been meaning to watch this but that 4 hour runtime is so daunting. I liked the Whedon cut but one of the major reasons why I did is because of the sub 2 hour runtime. After watching WW84 and Birds of Prey I'm really hesitant to jump in to this one.
HBO Go? What is this 2010?

For me personally it wasn’t a slog to watch. But then again I am DC fan and like all the characters. I was working at home when this dropped and watched the whole thing in 1 sitting. But I know not everyone here has 4 hours free to watch TV.
Old 11-10-21, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 639 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
HBO Go? What is this 2010?

For me personally it wasn’t a slog to watch. But then again I am DC fan and like all the characters. I was working at home when this dropped and watched the whole thing in 1 sitting. But I know not everyone here has 4 hours free to watch TV.
Leave the old man be. HBO Max whatever. Everytime I see that section "Max Originals" I think Cinemax. I didn't know it was broken up into chapters that's pretty cool and makes it less daunting. I still say with a lot of these movies the shorter the better. Like I think the Michael Bay Transformers movies would be a lot more tolerable if they were kept under 2 hours. Then you can enjoy them for the spectacle they are without them trying to be something they aren't.
Old 11-10-21, 06:34 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 175 Posts

When the theatrical version of this came out I bought it and enjoyed it. But finding out about what Whedon did to the movie and its actors, what studio execs did to Snyder, and that Snyder was given the reins to make his dream come true, I was more than intrigued about his finished product. Bought it when it came out, enjoyed it WAY more than Whedon's theatrical cut, getting rid of the theatrical cut. The only thing I didn't care for was Snyder's choice of FS, the little box in the middle of my 65" WS TV bothered me at first but eventually got used to it. I'm glad I bought the Snyder Cut, it didn't matter to me that it was so long, the movie was WAY better than Whedon's theatrical cut. The studio execs should have allowed Snyder his time to grieve.
Old 11-11-21, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,294 Likes on 1,689 Posts

The 4K is $9.96 at Amazon as of 11:22pm PT

Will probably be sold out by the morning.

Old 11-11-21, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,240 Posts

I ordered it from Amazon; figured it was better than showing up at Walmart at five in the morning tomorrow.

Old 11-11-21, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

I watched the first three chapters on the Friday it was released, then took a break for dinner and drink, then returned and finished it later that night. Definitely works better if split.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (11-11-21)
Old 11-11-21, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 715 Likes on 504 Posts

No digital code with that? (Amazon is at $18.)
Old 11-12-21, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
No digital code with that? (Amazon is at $18.)
Nope. In the U.S., Warner made it super-exclusive to HBO Max. You can't even purchase it at digital sell-through retailers.
Old 11-25-21, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for letting me know it was broken up into chapters. Made it a lot less intimidating to watch. I just watched it over two days.

I'm sure a lot of this has been covered and I haven't read this entire thread so bear with me. I had so many thoughts while watching this cut. I've never felt so many ups and downs with a movie before. The first couple chapters I was like WTF am I watching. Especially moments like Aquaman's groupies singing some nordic folksong to him then sniffing his clothes? Like was that really necessary? There were a lot of moments like that. But then the absolute highs of actually seeing Darkseid and not just seeing him standing there but the few glimpses of him in action were pretty epic. Especially seeing him taking out a green lantern and using his omega beams on an Atlantan. Overall, even though at points it could be a slog to get through I liked this cut a lot more. I really like how Cyborg was the crux of the whole team and how it showed the team working together a lot more then in the JL version. I also really liked the end battle sequence a lot more especially how they took out Steppenwolf. And speaking of him even though he still looks like a giant grey blob I really liked how he was a lot more fleshed out and the character design was significantly better then in the Whedon cut. I appreciated this cut even more whenever I dived a little deeper and watched some a bunch of youtube videos explaining a lot of the layers that were built in to the movie. Especially the epilogue. That was definitely a WTF moment when viewing it for the first time but becomes quite interesting seeing the hidden story behind it. It's really fascinating how these two very different versions of this movie came into being. I don't know if that will ever happen again.
Old 04-21-22, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 107 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm curious...has anyone watched this from start to finish more than once? My first viewing was more or less straight through with a couple of bathroom breaks while my second consisted of multiple sittings. I just started my third go around and am about 70 minutes in.
Why So Blu? (04-21-22)
Old 04-21-22, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 825 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott View Post
I'm curious...has anyone watched this from start to finish more than once? My first viewing was more or less straight through with a couple of bathroom breaks while my second consisted of multiple sittings. I just started my third go around and am about 70 minutes in.

Several times. The HBO MAX feed (Justice is Grey edition) and then when the 4K disc was released.
Old 04-21-22, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 584 Likes on 361 Posts

I've watched it twice and now I'm ready for a third go around. Still love it.
Why So Blu? (04-21-22)
Old 04-22-22, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

It took me 2 or 3 nights to get through it the first time. I don't plan to ever revisit it.
Old 04-22-22, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 955 Likes on 604 Posts

My son and I powered through one time start to finish when it was first released. No need to ever revisit.
Old 04-22-22, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,366 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I just realized I stopped midway through and never really finished even my first viewing of it.
Old 04-22-22, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 686 Likes on 423 Posts

I joked about it earlier, but I really would like to see a 2-hour cut of this version. I'm sure somebody has done one, but I haven't looked for it yet. I liked some of the changes and additions made in the Snyder cut, but overall it was a slog to get through.
Old 04-22-22, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 501 Likes on 354 Posts

This lists 3 fan-edits, but only one, the Grindhouse edit, comes close to 2 hours at 133 minutes.
https://ifdb.fanedit.org/fanedit-sea...ue/?criteria=2

Here's one called the "Studio Cut" that's 2 hours 35 minutes:
https://www.reddit.com/r/fanedits/co...ue_studio_cut/

A "Theatrical Version" that's 3 hours 15 minutes:
https://www.reddit.com/r/fanedits/co...rical_version/

The following 2 users liked this post by Jay G.:
Cellar Door (04-22-22), John Pannozzi (04-24-22)
Old 04-22-22, 05:47 PM
Banned

Received 375 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
I joked about it earlier, but I really would like to see a 2-hour cut of this version. I'm sure somebody has done one, but I haven't looked for it yet. I liked some of the changes and additions made in the Snyder cut, but overall it was a slog to get through.
What? You don't want to watch a bunch of Islanders worship Aquaman?
Old 04-23-22, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 1,051 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
What? You don't want to watch a bunch of Islanders worship Aquaman?
That's 'The Aquaman' to you, quisling!
Old 04-23-22, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 312 Likes on 254 Posts

I'm 1/3 of the way through this thing, and I just don't know if I'm going to watch the rest of it.

The overuse of songs in this mess is annoying as hell. And this just seems so long and drawn out - so far, it's not as good as the theatrical version.

I can't believe Zack Snyder has so many fanboys and fangirls out there (I read so much from them on Facebook, for example).
Old 04-26-22, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
I'm 1/3 of the way through this thing, and I just don't know if I'm going to watch the rest of it.

The overuse of songs in this mess is annoying as hell. And this just seems so long and drawn out - so far, it's not as good as the theatrical version.

I can't believe Zack Snyder has so many fanboys and fangirls out there (I read so much from them on Facebook, for example).
It really is a lot better then the original release in a lot of ways. Pacing is not one of them.
Old 04-27-22, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 580 Likes on 501 Posts

Snyder's Cut would have worked far better cut into a mini-series of possibly four episodes.
Old 04-27-22, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Snyder's Cut would have worked far better cut into a mini-series of possibly four episodes.
They did cut it up into chapters. Which that helped. They just needed a quick way to get into it and watch what you wanted.
IBJoel (04-27-22)
Old 04-27-22, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 878 Likes on 713 Posts

Yeah, the chapters are pretty good stopping points. I think I watched it all in a day, but about halfway through I took a break for an hour or two to do other things.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.