Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-17, 07:57 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

I am a completely average looking dude. I'm in pretty good shape, but I have a big nose, receding hairline, and skinnier legs than I want.

It doesn't happen to me nearly often enough (~6 times in my ~30 years post-puberty), but occasionally women will "come on to me" in a purely sexual way.

I have been asked by a woman to send them a dick pic.
I have had a women grope me in public (at a pool hall, with other people watching, over my pants)
I have been asked by a woman, in my bedroom, if she could watch me jerk off, and she then told me how hot she thought it was.

I would not do any of these things without the woman requesting it of me.

I will continue to not send dick pics, and not jerk off in front of women unless they request it.

But, if I took the victim point of view...
The woman who asked me for a dick pic? I guess I can claim she sexually harassed me.
The woman who groped me in the pool hall? I guess I can claim she sexually harassed me.
The woman in my bedroom who asked to watch me jerk off? I guess I can write that one off, since she was also naked at the time.

But if I'm ugly enough, and a woman is pretty enough, and I say "You look very nice today", at some point, simple verbal compliments and flirting should not be seen as sexual harassment.
Old 11-30-17, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Time to take the Phillie Phanatic to the glue factory.
Old 11-30-17, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Blue Jays fired Greg Zaun from their Sportsnet channel
Old 11-30-17, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko
I am a completely average looking dude. I'm in pretty good shape, but I have a big nose, receding hairline, and skinnier legs than I want.

It doesn't happen to me nearly often enough (~6 times in my ~30 years post-puberty), but occasionally women will "come on to me" in a purely sexual way.

I have been asked by a woman to send them a dick pic.
I have had a women grope me in public (at a pool hall, with other people watching, over my pants)
I have been asked by a woman, in my bedroom, if she could watch me jerk off, and she then told me how hot she thought it was.

I would not do any of these things without the woman requesting it of me.

I will continue to not send dick pics, and not jerk off in front of women unless they request it.

But, if I took the victim point of view...
The woman who asked me for a dick pic? I guess I can claim she sexually harassed me.
The woman who groped me in the pool hall? I guess I can claim she sexually harassed me.
The woman in my bedroom who asked to watch me jerk off? I guess I can write that one off, since she was also naked at the time.

But if I'm ugly enough, and a woman is pretty enough, and I say "You look very nice today", at some point, simple verbal compliments and flirting should not be seen as sexual harassment.
There's an older woman at work who makes inappropriate comments to me from time to time. If I was attracted to her, I'd shrug it off, laugh, or enjoy it, but I'm not, and sometimes it makes me uncomfortable. Is that fair? Perhaps not. I haven't complained because it's not worth the trouble, but ultimately I'm there to work, and I wish she wouldn't say those things to me.
Old 11-30-17, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Looks like Lauer deleted all his social media accounts.

His lawyer probably told him to do so or he must have gotten a shit ton of hate posts and tweets.
Old 12-01-17, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happens actually in this industry, casting couch is common. I forgot the movie name it was a viral news last year, where they revealed a small actress was raped in reality while shooting a rape scene.
I seen that movie on 123netflix.pro but don't remember the name
Old 12-01-17, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
How do we process this now? It seems so touchy. Do I laugh, or scream out "I feel unsafe"?
See that is the thing when is it OK for comedy???
Old 12-01-17, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I hadn't posted regarding all the recent news and now see there's 2 ongoing sexual harassment threads. I shared this in the other. Maybe it belongs here.

The Barna group just did a recent survey on what folks consider sexual harassment.

It shows how messed up society is. 9% of women and 17% of men don't see "being forced to do something sexual" as harassment. Even more disturbing: 11% of women & 24% of the men polled wouldn't characterize flashing/exposing yourself to another as falling into that category.

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 12-01-17 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-01-17, 09:37 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Kathryn3
This happens actually in this industry, casting couch is common. I forgot the movie name it was a viral news last year, where they revealed a small actress was raped in reality while shooting a rape scene.
I seen that movie on 123netflix.pro but don't remember the name
Hello Russian Bot,

I think the movie you are referring to is Last Tango In Paris. No bot-ie’s perfect.

Regards,
Mabuse
Old 12-01-17, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I hadn't posted regarding all the recent news and now see there''s 2 ongoing sexual harassment threads. I shared this in the other. Maybe it belings here.

The Barna group just did a recent survey on what folks consider sexual harassment.

It shows how messed up society is. 9% of women and 17% of men don't see "being forced to do something sexual" as harassment. Even more disturbing: 11% of women & 24% of the men polled wouldn't characterize flashing/exposing yourself to another as falling into that category.
What if you're flashing a Buddhist temple?
Old 12-01-17, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
What if you're flashing a Buddhist temple?
Then they might be forced to exile more Rohingyas.
Old 12-03-17, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Geoffrey Rush Steps Aside as President of Australian Academy After Misconduct Accusation

Geoffrey Rush announced Saturday that he would “step aside” as president of the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts in the wake of unspecified accusations of “inappropriate behaviour” two years ago at the Sydney Theatre Company.
https://www.thewrap.com/geoffrey-rus...ct-accusation/
Old 12-03-17, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko

You're lucky. I'm a decent-looking guy around your age, and I dress well, if conservatively and stodgily, uncoolly, on the rare occasion I go out. I have never been approached by a woman, ever. A big part of it is that I'm a recluse who avoids social situations, of course, but I must also project a certain unsmiling, taciturn despondency that women understandably don't find appealing.
Old 12-03-17, 04:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Geoffrey Rush Steps Aside as President of Australian Academy After Misconduct Accusation

https://www.thewrap.com/geoffrey-rus...ct-accusation/
This one seem odd to me. There's no indication of what the "inappropriate" conduct was, or even if it was sexual in nature. How can he possibly defend himself?
Old 12-04-17, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Actresses Detail Groping, Simulated Rape in Audition for Ashley Judd Sex-Trafficking Film:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...g-film-1063731

They also corroborated Malik’s assertion that the session was at times unnecessarily physical, reporting dragging, grabbing and pinching in a free-flowing improvisation that went — to their minds — off the rails. “I think we all definitely had some bruises when we left,” said another. Added a third: “I think [the filmmakers] were super-clueless and didn’t know this was not normal. I remember being really scared out of my mind. I know they were trying to get us there emotionally, but that’s not how they should have been doing it.”
Old 12-04-17, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Every improv class or group I've ever been with discusses the level of physical interaction the group is comfortable with. You never just "go for it". That's Improv 101 stuff.
Old 12-04-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Every improv class or group I've ever been with discusses the level of physical interaction the group is comfortable with. You never just "go for it". That's Improv 101 stuff.
Old 12-04-17, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
God that scene is so great.
Old 12-04-17, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Bryan Singer FIRED from Freddie Mercury biopic after 'throwing object' at star Rami Malek as allegations of director's sexual misconduct resurface
Old 12-04-17, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Waiting for Malek's #metoo story...
Old 12-04-17, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

But wait . . .

Bryan Singer Accuses Fox of Refusing to Let Him Care for Sick Parent
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/br...ng-1202630586/
Old 12-05-17, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I hadn't posted regarding all the recent news and now see there's 2 ongoing sexual harassment threads. I shared this in the other. Maybe it belongs here.

Yet another hard-to-define line (and, apparently, concept) that can dangerously loop back to being "in the eye of the beholder" - on the 'lesser' end of words, comments, flirting, etc.

I think everybody could agree that rape is A Bad Thing, but anything less is going to fall on a sliding scale of context and (implied/explicit) consent. And given that almost every situation will be two people with different versions of the same story, attempting to judge - especially in retrospect - is troublingly problematic.

What concerns me even more is that so many different situations and DEGREES are being directly or implicitly equated. It's similar to McCarthyism and more recently the UK's Jimmy Saville fallout. There is a fundamental difference between Person A (allegedly) raping a dozen women and Person B thinking they were - or even "actually" - flirting with a potentially interested party...

And that's without even continuing a quid pro quo debate.
Old 12-05-17, 01:02 AM

Maybe the delusion is that their status makes them feel like they can hookup with anyone they want. I have a friend who hung out at clubs around L.A. and had casual sex with a new girl every few days back in the 80's and 90's. You don't get to be that sexually active without being open and aggressive. I think that's an ambition that many guys share. You even see it portrayed with relative innocence in shows like Seinfeld (just as a random example).

Now we're facing a sobering reality that it was never consensual to be sexually aggressive in any manner. At work or anywhere else. And your perceived "game" is now, and has always been, sexual assault. Puts a whole new perspective on people who live that lifestyle where they enjoy sleeping around.
Does that - hardly unique - anecdote say something about changing attitudes, normalized predatory behavior, or controversially suggest that sometimes (or for some people, or in some situations) the same behavior can be 'acceptable'..?
Old 12-05-17, 01:11 AM

Well, yea. I forget which thread I post in (this one or the Politics one). But I had a friend who "sexually assaulted" another friend and got kicked out of our circle of friends for awhile. A year or two later they were dating and living together. Maybe they have kids now. Who knew sex and relationships were so complicated? The time in between - I'm sure he was a "sexual predator" and she was "sexually assaulted".

What's the difference between a sexual advance based on perceived "shared feelings" (as sexual predator Charlie Rose puts it) and sexual assault? Is it a crime when an ugly guy hits on a woman based on a perceived notion and gets rejected ... compared to when an attractive guy makes the same move and she's immediately interested?

A lot of these accusations seem to be about women turning down sexual advances and awkward flirting. There seems to be a line to draw between Harvey Weinstein telling you to lick his balls to get the job, and Louis CK (who was a nobody at the time) misreading a situation and thinking he just setup a threesome. Bill Cosby drugging and raping sleeping women, and Garrison Keillor with his "inappropriate behavior".
Quite.

Originally Posted by Brack
Well if you’re at a bar and approach someone and “hit” on said person, but not being crude and offensive way, I wouldn’t call that sexual assault at all.
But the crudeness and offensive are often subjective...

Personal anecdote: female colleague tells female colleague her clothes looks nice - just a comment, and fine. Male colleague tells same colleague her clothes look nice - just a comment, and fine. Another male colleague says the same - flirting, and appreciated. A third does, and it's "creepy" and he gets officially warned by management..

All four used essentially (almost exactly) the same words. To the same person, on the same day, and (not that it matters) they were correct. But... one was "harassment," and three were not.

Last edited by ntnon; 12-05-17 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-05-17, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Brack
I’ll quote myself, since I guess no on pays attention.

Don't shit where you eat.
There’s plenty of situations where anyone can feel uncomfortable about anything, but in the eyes of the law or workplace, sexual harassment and/or assault really isn’t too subjective. You actually have to do something or say something sexual, no? It’s not rocket science.
Bear in mind that the workplace (or college) is many people's primary place of interaction. You spend time with people, get to know them, get to like them... it's a much 'better' method of meeting people than meeting total strangers, surely?

And while there are clear definitions, there are hazier interpretations and lines. Appearances and feelings are important - and necessarily subjective. People where I work chat, flirt, joke, spend time together outside of work and generally Make Friends with each other. And, on occasion, form relationships, impregnate one another and report some people for harrassing them. In at least one case, all three in that order.....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.