Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-18, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 962 Likes on 669 Posts
re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
A bit of honest Self Reflection:

It's funny that I brought up the fact that she was abused as a 17. If she were a man...would I even care about his being abused? It's interesting how it comes so natural to go down this road for women when it comes to this stuff when compared to men.
See the thing is that is still a difference between men and women. As an example my cousin was talking to me about minor league baseball teams and how some teams have team moms. I wasn't familiar with this so he explained that they are oftentimes older women who will bake cookies or provide support for the team or will sometimes even house the players temporarily if they are new to the area. Basically to help these young players. They might be sanctioned by the team but usually not on their payroll. They are just nice older ladies who want to help. I thought it was kind of peculiar but still sweet. Then I told him now replace minor league baseball with women's volleyball and replace team mom with team dad. It would be totally creepy if the genders were reversed. If we are being honest in general men are more sleazy than women. There is still a difference in gender. So my wife will drive the baby sitter home rather than I will just for appropriateness sake. Not that it's wrong for me to do it but if the option is there it's just better if she do it. Like some women are more comfortable with a woman GYN doc or masseuse.

Now when it comes to actual rape or grooming or any other kind of abuse then it is still wrong either way. But there are still things that would be perceived as appropriate for women to do that for men it wouldn't be.
Old 08-24-18, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Such an absurd thing to say. Just because you would have slept with anything with a heartbeat as a kid doesn't mean all kids do. Especially when the other person is a teacher, boss, authority figure...etc.
I'm just telling how it WAS in the 60s.
NO parent would have considering suing for damages.
It would have been laughed out of court and the family would have been ridiculed in their community for having a wuss as a son.
Things, of course, have changed.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Congratulations. This is one of the worst things I’ve ever seen posted on dvdtalk.
LOL, not close.
Your avatar speaks volumes....
Old 08-24-18, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
It would have been laughed out of court and the family would have been ridiculed in their community for having a wuss as a son.

LOL, not close.
17, as in this case, ok, I can maybe agree with you. But a male of any age can't be raped by a female?
Old 08-24-18, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Congratulations. This is one of the worst things I’ve ever seen posted on dvdtalk.
You do realize that there’s a 30+ page thread with 1300 posts in the Other forum discussing hot teachers who have banged their students, right?

I know we’re all trying to say PC things in this particular thread but let’s not pretend that DVDTalk suddenly became the moral compass of the internet since the #metoo movement began.
Old 08-24-18, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

LOL, not close.
Yeah, that Tom Servo is one vile motherfucker.
Old 08-24-18, 09:37 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
You do realize that there’s a 30+ page thread with 1300 posts in the Other forum discussing hot teachers who have banged their students, right?

I know we’re all trying to say PC things in this particular thread but let’s not pretend that DVDTalk suddenly became the moral compass of the internet since the #metoo movement began.
Wow, that thread is still around? Smh
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Yeah, that Tom Servo is one vile motherfucker.
Yeah, not sure what that comment meant at all....
Old 08-24-18, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
I didn't expect that little Chaka would ever be involved in a scandal like this.
Sorry, but I gotta ask. Did anyone get this DVDTalk reference?
Old 08-24-18, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
See the thing is that is still a difference between men and women. As an example my cousin was talking to me about minor league baseball teams and how some teams have team moms. I wasn't familiar with this so he explained that they are oftentimes older women who will bake cookies or provide support for the team or will sometimes even house the players temporarily if they are new to the area. Basically to help these young players. They might be sanctioned by the team but usually not on their payroll. They are just nice older ladies who want to help. I thought it was kind of peculiar but still sweet. Then I told him now replace minor league baseball with women's volleyball and replace team mom with team dad. It would be totally creepy if the genders were reversed. If we are being honest in general men are more sleazy than women. There is still a difference in gender. So my wife will drive the baby sitter home rather than I will just for appropriateness sake. Not that it's wrong for me to do it but if the option is there it's just better if she do it. Like some women are more comfortable with a woman GYN doc or masseuse.

Now when it comes to actual rape or grooming or any other kind of abuse then it is still wrong either way. But there are still things that would be perceived as appropriate for women to do that for men it wouldn't be.
I guess my point is though traditionally men have been seen and proven to be the most likely sex when it comes to sexual predator behavior, we are clearly seeing more and more that women can be just as predatory. And when they are, society makes excuses(like I seem to have done for Asia) or in the case of many men, we infuse our own sexual fantasies into the conversation and we don't take it seriously...Hey, I've done that too.

I see lots of folks online talking about how Asia was abused at 17 by this older man, even though she was open to it. There seems to be a given amount of sympathy for her right off the bat. Yet have any of us asked if Harvey Wiestein was abused? I mean realistically he could have been the victim of abuse and as it's been mentioned, abused often become abusers. It would fit a recognized pattern of behavior.

of course, having been abused NEVER excuses the victim's abusing of others...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-24-18 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-24-18, 12:37 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I guarantee you Harvey was sexually abused. Almost certainly by someone older, but near his age, who used the same kind of coercive “never take no for answer” techniques that he used on his victims.
Old 08-24-18, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Get the fuck out of here with your outdated, backwards bullshit!

We also had Jim Crow laws well into the '60s, and things, of course, have changed. For the better.

Or how about going back before child labor laws, where children would die working in factories and no parent would have considered suing for damages?

You are old and out of touch and thank god people like you aren't long for this world.
Old 08-24-18, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

While we're at it, I think we should go back to having the breakfast of real men; unfiltered cigarettes and a tall glass of margarine.
Old 08-24-18, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
17, as in this case, ok, I can maybe agree with you.
Would a year, a month, a week, have made a difference?
Apparently some around here think it does.

We know live in a litigious society where the game is filing suits for family income.
Not so long ago the reaction to a 17 year old boy losing his virginity to someone older would have been greeted by Dad with a slap on the back and a comment like "Way to go, son."
Like I said, things have changed.

But a male of any age can't be raped by a female?
OF COURSE NOT.

Originally Posted by slop101
You are old and out of touch and thank god people like you aren't long for this world.
Whatever you say, Clamps.

We also had Jim Crow laws well into the '60s, and things, of course, have changed. For the better.

Or how about going back before child labor laws, where children would die working in factories and no parent would have considered suing for damages?
The problem with ranting is it's so easy to go off-topic...
Old 08-24-18, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

LOL, not close.

Old 08-24-18, 04:39 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Uh, maybe a little excessive. He’s not celebrating the way it used to be, he’s just stating how things were.

Last edited by Mabuse; 08-25-18 at 01:54 AM.
Old 08-24-18, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Whatever you say, Clamps.
How dare you!

This is Clamps:

It's like, everything you post is wrong!
Old 08-24-18, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Uh, maybe a little excessive.
Oh ... damn. Now I’ve seen it all.

(Just razzing you Mabuse.)
Old 08-25-18, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's like, everything you post is wrong!
I know...and it's tragic, ain't it?
Old 08-25-18, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I guess my point is though traditionally men have been seen and proven to be the most likely sex when it comes to sexual predator behavior, we are clearly seeing more and more that women can be just as predatory. And when they are, society makes excuses(like I seem to have done for Asia) or in the case of many men, we infuse our own sexual fantasies into the conversation and we don't take it seriously...Hey, I've done that too.

I see lots of folks online talking about how Asia was abused at 17 by this older man, even though she was open to it. There seems to be a given amount of sympathy for her right off the bat. Yet have any of us asked if Harvey Wiestein was abused? I mean realistically he could have been the victim of abuse and as it's been mentioned, abused often become abusers. It would fit a recognized pattern of behavior.

of course, having been abused NEVER excuses the victim's abusing of others...
Yeah I understand and agree. But I also think that the stereotype is true and men are more likely to be an abuser than women. Therefore there is an unfair perception. But every case has to be taken seriously and when a victim is claiming abuse they should be listened to and the situation investigated no matter what their gender is.
Old 08-27-18, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
But every case has to be taken seriously and when a victim is claiming abuse they should be listened to and the situation investigated no matter what their gender is.
My only problem with that is that the initial charges are front page news, but the exoneration is on page 10 below the fold. Very few people read/hear about the exoneration, but remember the charges.

That affects future employability.

Charges should not be made public until significant evidence is shown. But what we see in a lot of this is trying people in the court of public opinion, which - as I noted - leads to exonerations being unseen when they happen.

I don't want victims to not be taken seriously. But I also don't want innocent people's careers harmed by personal grudges that don't include true criminal activity. I don't know if there is a good solution for this situation.
Old 08-27-18, 07:46 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

This idea of a MALE being raped/abused by a FEMALE is a little ridiculous and all about MONEY.
When I was a teenager, I would have given anything to have been "raped" by a women...and so would have every other teenager I knew.
Hell, we would have bragged about it...
Explain to me why a MALE cannot be raped by a FEMALE.
Old 08-27-18, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
My only problem with that is that the initial charges are front page news, but the exoneration is on page 10 below the fold. Very few people read/hear about the exoneration, but remember the charges.

Charges should not be made public until significant evidence is shown. But what we see in a lot of this is trying people in the court of public opinion, which - as I noted - leads to exonerations being unseen when they happen.

I don't want victims to not be taken seriously. But I also don't want innocent people's careers harmed by personal grudges that don't include true criminal activity. I don't know if there is a good solution for this situation.
It's a really tough situation. I think the early charges being front page news helps in getting other potential victims to come forward. That, of course, doesn't excuse exoneration taking a backseat.
Old 08-27-18, 11:01 AM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Explain to me why a MALE cannot be raped by a FEMALE.
We miss you, Eddie. And yes, you ask an excellent question.
Old 08-27-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

https://deadline.com/2018/08/asia-ar...es-1202452636/

Asia Argento fired from The X-Factor Italy.

But will still appear in pre-taped shows. She's out for live shows.
Old 08-27-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

It's probably true that the physical burden of sex has more ramifications on women, which is probably why we hold on to outdated conceptions of male vs. female rape (even something as seemingly innocuous as being less worried when your son is a teenager vs. your daughter). The psychological ramifications are the same, though, plus I think even those with outdated conceptions would still cry foul if the (older) woman introduced some sort of tool to use on the (younger) man.
Old 08-27-18, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by B5Erik

That's true too. And that leads into the somewhat difficult to determine area of what is appropriate. But really I think a good mindset is if it could even look inappropriate from the outside don't do it. So workplace is easy. Don't say anything inappropriate and don't touch your coworkers unless you're friends outside of work.

I think the difficult situations become the relationships like the Chris Hardwick case. That's a real he said she said case and virtually impossible to find out what's true. Although in his specific case he has a lot of exes come to his defense which speaks volumes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.