Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
8.33%
27.56%
33.97%
18.59%
7.05%
1.28%
1.92%
0.64%
0%
0.64%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-16, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Didnt enjoy it. Most of my issues have already been discussed. Tarkin looked like a cartoon. Im pretty sure Vader sashayed down the ramp to chat with Not-Grand Admiral Thrawn. The Death Stars essentially shoot giant lightsaber blades at planets? Mon Mothma sits with her thumb up her ass as the Rebellion is falling apart and some goober is giving a speech she should be making. Is blue milk a galaxy wide treat now?
Old 12-24-16, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by mcnabb

Can anyone name a memorable line or scenes in this movie? Back to Future had, "You built a time machine...out of a Delorian?". Indiana Jones had the classic where the guy wields the Machete for 20 seconds and Indiana shoots him.
I just want to point out that I grew up with those movies and watched them incessantly. Same with the OT. So it's not surprising I don't remember lines from Rogue One with quite the same reverence as I do movies I've literally seen hundreds of times when I was a child and didn't really have a lot going on. And I do remember some cool scenes from Rogue One, probably the same amount as I did after leaving Raiders in the theater after my first viewing.

I've started to watch the Marvel movies I love enough to have some of those lines and scenes start to work their way in there but it's unrealistic to expect the same impression from a new movie that I saw one time at a completely different time in my life.
Old 12-24-16, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Seriously, the nitpicking over stupid shit on here as of late is hysterical. SMH
Some are trying really hard to hate this movie.
Old 12-24-16, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why U-Wings? Where are they in the OT? Were there like only 4 and they all blowed up at Cabo San Star Wars? (I know why "moichendizing!" but cmon). Does every transport ship have to have fold up wings now? So many questions.
Old 12-24-16, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
I liked the film I would rank it 5th in the series just under Empire for me.

Regarding Tarkin, I didn't know Peter Cushing was dead or at least didnt recall it, but my buddy thought they found another actor who looked just like him. He didn't realize it was totally CGI over a actor stand in. If I hadn't read this thread before seeing the movie, I would have probably thought it was Cushing but using the de-aging thing they did in Xmen 3 and in Ant-Man. Once you know however, it is impossible to not notice. But my buddy who loves all things Star Wars with a passion and is a big gamer really thought it was a real actor at least initially when he first appeared. He was blown away by the CGI work.
Not to be mean or anything of the sort but is your friend on the autisim spectrum? Have trouble discerning human facial expressions? Cause that Tarkins mouth is so inhuman its distracting.
Old 12-24-16, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I'm beginning to think that your average nitpicker would have a rant prepared if the guy ahead of him in McDonald's asks for BBQ sauce instead of Sweet & Sour for his McNuggets.
Old 12-24-16, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
Why U-Wings? Where are they in the OT? Were there like only 4 and they all blowed up at Cabo San Star Wars? (I know why "moichendizing!" but cmon). Does every transport ship have to have fold up wings now? So many questions.
Maybe the rebels thought the U-wings were too large for the trench run. I'm just guessing here, but I do remember one of the officers saying something along the lines of "their small ships are avoiding our turbo lasers." And yes, I'm completely trying to make this "fit" into the current narrative, but I think it works.

Ultimately, it's for toys and merchandising. However, I love the fact they bring in new ships and troops that we have never seen. Much like any military faction, you're going to have multiple types of fighters, bombers, and transports. It's kind of weird to think that the rebels were limited to only A-wings and X-wings for fighters and just the Y-wings for bombers.

I also love the wing movement on many of the ships. They've always reminded me of the various "swing wing" fighters from the cold war era. The F-14, F-111, Mig-23 (and more) all had this "tech" at the time.

I really enjoyed the movie and thought it was better on my second viewing. It's not perfect, but I think it's better than Jedi for me (re-watched recently). I also like TFA though, and I know many on here thought the rehashing of the trilogy was a bit too much (member berries).
Old 12-24-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Finally caught this last night. I enjoyed it quite a bit, despite its flaws, which have already discussed here. The second half, while action packed, definitely feels like it suffers from re-shoots.

I thought the ret-con of the Death Star's design was executed brilliantly but knowing how Rogue One plays out I feel that while one plot hole is fixed the plot hole about not shooting down the escape pod with R2 and 3PO is all the more glaring - knowing they were specifically looking for a no-human item.

I have a feeling Disney will never let any alternate cuts see the light of day.
Old 12-24-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Finally caught this last night. I enjoyed it quite a bit, despite its flaws, which have already discussed here. The second half, while action packed, definitely feels like it suffers from re-shoots.

I thought the ret-con of the Death Star's design was executed brilliantly but knowing how Rogue One plays out I feel that while one plot hole is fixed the plot hole about not shooting down the escape pod with R2 and 3PO is all the more glaring - knowing they were specifically looking for a no-human item.
Well, that's easily explained. Simple case of bad judgment. Human error. The bridge officers who made the decision to let it go made a bad call and didn't think it through (trust me, bad decisions on the job are made thousands of times every day). Vader is pissed when he hears that it was let go.
Old 12-24-16, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Regarding U-Wing - I'm not super into all the ships and their purposes, but the U-Wing Appeared to be more of a troop transport/ground support ship. The OT didn't have any ground battles (unless you count hoth, but as mentioned earlier, only snowspeeders were used anyway). Perhaps the U-Wing just isn't very good in a space battle, so that's an easy enough retcon (but yes, also merchandising )
Old 12-24-16, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Well, that's easily explained. Simple case of bad judgment. Human error. The bridge officers who made the decision to let it go made a bad call and didn't think it through (trust me, bad decisions on the job are made thousands of times every day). Vader is pissed when he hears that it was let go.
Sure. Of course you could explain it away as poor decision making. Before Rogue One I always assumed that Vader's ship was chasing Leia's ship just because it happened to be a spotted rebel ship. Vader and his storm troopers boarded the ship looking for any random hostages/intel that could help them out. In that scenario, letting an unmanned escape pod could be chalked up to a simple poor decision. In Rogue One we learn that Vader's ship was chasing Leia's ship for one specific purpose: retrieving the Death Star's design plans. It makes allowing an unmanned escape pod go free just that much more inexcusable. Poor decision making doesn't quite seem to cover it when everyone on board should have known why they were there.
Old 12-24-16, 02:12 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I'm beginning to think that your average nitpicker would have a rant prepared if the guy ahead of him in McDonald's asks for BBQ sauce instead of Sweet & Sour for his McNuggets.
Come on now.
No one gets BBQ sauce.

Right?

...right???!
Old 12-24-16, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 316 Likes on 216 Posts

Sure. Of course you could explain it away as poor decision making. Before Rogue One I always assumed that Vader's ship was chasing Leia's ship just because it happened to be a spotted rebel ship. Vader and his storm troopers boarded the ship looking for any random hostages/intel that could help them out.
That's a very odd assumption given how Star Wars starts. The opening crawl and the dialog make it clear the Imperial Forces were after the stolen Death Star plans and that's specifically why they boarded the ship...not just for some "random hostages/intel". The very first line of dialog among the Imperial Forces is a Stormtrooper saying to Vader, "The Death Star plans are not in the main computer" and then Vader chokes a Rebel and says, "Where are those transmissions you intercepted? What have you done with those plans?"
Old 12-24-16, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank
That's a very odd assumption given how Star Wars starts. The opening crawl and the dialog make it clear the Imperial Forces were after the stolen Death Star plans and that's specifically why they boarded the ship...not just for some "random hostages/intel". The very first line of dialog among the Imperial Forces is a Stormtrooper saying to Vader, "The Death Star plans are not in the main computer" and then Vader chokes a Rebel and says, "Where are those transmissions you intercepted? What have you done with those plans?"
Hmm, good point. I guess it's been a while since I watched Star Wars. My mind must have tuned out for that dialogue. For some reason I thought they were just after anything they could get their hands on.
Old 12-24-16, 05:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some are trying really hard to like this movie.
Old 12-24-16, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Some are trying really hard to like this movie.
A little from column A and a little from column B.

I'm not sure why Star Wars films are placed on such a pedestal. Why can't people just accept that they're fun but flawed movies.

People either refuse to accept that they are anything other than sci-fi masterpieces that no one should feel any other way than orgasmic bliss or people pick it apart to a point that no film could survive.

George Lucas made his fair share of mistakes with the franchise and I'm not defending him but there was a point where he just couldn't win. I don't blame him for cutting himself loose from the fanboy criticism when he did (of course a $4 billion payday didn't hurt).
Old 12-24-16, 07:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The lie the Rebels and Leia tell Vader after they're captured is really poor now since they knew Vader was chasing them from the battle.
They certainly were not on any kind of mercy mission this time.
Old 12-24-16, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by nmr1723
Maybe the rebels thought the U-wings were too large for the trench run. I'm just guessing here, but I do remember one of the officers saying something along the lines of "their small ships are avoiding our turbo lasers." And yes, I'm completely trying to make this "fit" into the current narrative, but I think it works.

Ultimately, it's for toys and merchandising. However, I love the fact they bring in new ships and troops that we have never seen. Much like any military faction, you're going to have multiple types of fighters, bombers, and transports. It's kind of weird to think that the rebels were limited to only A-wings and X-wings for fighters and just the Y-wings for bombers.
I don't know if it's ever been fully explained in "canon" sources, but I've often wondered just how extensive the rebellion was. Was the group we saw on Yavin IV in ANH and Hoth in ESB it? Or were there other "cells" out there? It seems like Luke's group wasn't very large, maybe a few thousand people and a handful of ships. It doesn't really seem like enough to oppose a galactic empire spanning hundreds/thousands of planets. It's sort of implied in ANH that what we see on Yavin IV is the extent of the Rebellion, though the dialog from the Imperials would seem to indicate certain planets were opposing the Empire.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 12-25-16 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-25-16, 05:09 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I don't know if it's ever been fully explained in "canon" sources, but I've often wondered just how extensive the rebellion was. Was the group we saw on Yavin IV in ANH and Hoth in ESB it? Or were there other "cells" out there? It seems like Luke's group wasn't bery large, maybe a few thousand people and a handful of ships. It doesn't really seem like enough to oppose a galactic empire spanning hundreds/thousands of planets. It's sort of implied in ANH that what wee on Yavin IV is the extent of the Rebellion, though the dialog from the Imperials would seem to indicate certain planets were opposing the Empire.
I know in old canon it wasn't until after the Rebels blew up the first Death Star that other worlds started to join up.
The Mon Calamari being one.
Old 12-25-16, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

I'm not sure why Star Wars films are placed on such a pedestal. Why can't people just accept that they're fun but flawed movies
The OT is Godfather 1 & 2.
The PT is Batman and Robin

That's an indication of how low the bar has been set for these films. It's going to take far more to finally recover from the sodomizing we experienced.
Old 12-25-16, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Saw it again yesterday and I found myself a little fidgety during the first half but once you get the raid on Eadu and then the final act it's all gold.

And for some reason the CGI Tarkin looked a little better this time and the CGI Leia looked really good this time. It was at the same theater multiplex as the my first screening but on a different screen. Is there any chance there could be another print in circulation with more completed FX? Or was it just paychological that I was expecting them this time?
Old 12-25-16, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

So I have a theory about the original ending based on this article analyzing the missing trailer footage:
http://www.slashfilm.com/rogue-one-m...railer-footage

A lot of that footage is of Jyn and Cassian running along the beach with Jyn holding the Death Star Plan harddrive. The idea seems pretty clear that originally, they got the plans and fled the Citadel to get back to the ship. There's even footage showing Alan Tudyk in the background running in his motion capture suit, showing that K-2SO didn't die in the Citadel. Even Krennic is out and about.

So I think that the original ending was that they got the plans, fled the Citadel, and had to fight their way back to the ship. However, something happened so they couldn't fly out (possible the ship blowing up, as seen in the movie, but happening much later), so they transmit the plans remotely once the shield is down.

I think this even explains the "glancing blow" the Death Star does with the Citadel in the movie. Originally, the Citadel might've been hit straight on, and Jyn and Cassian are sitting on a beach far away from it watching the explosion come closer. However, once they changed it to Jyn and Cassian staying in the Citadel, they still wanted to use the footage of them on the beach, and so had to move where the Death Star actually strikes.

I can speculate on the reasons for this change. For one, with the emphasis on them trying to escape through the last act, the fact that they didn't could've been more depressing to the audience. By eliminating the escape option sooner in the final act, it gives the audience time to adjust to this, and allowed the final transmission to feel more as an act of triumph instead of a disappointment. Also, in the original ending, the idea of transmitting the plans may have felt like a last-minute plot dodge, with it probably not seeming that difficult. By making Jyn and Cassian have to scale the tower, and lose K-2SO in the process, it made it feel more like a challenge they had to overcome.
Old 12-25-16, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Geddlo
The lie the Rebels and Leia tell Vader after they're captured is really poor now since they knew Vader was chasing them from the battle.
They certainly were not on any kind of mercy mission this time.
I'm pretty sure they were already in a hurry to get the Tantive IV launched since the larger ship was disabled. While the last couple of soldiers to board saw Vader (if they actually knew who/what he was) I wonder if they had time to say anything and if that would have reached her. Plus, how would they know/suspect that Vader was on the Star Destroyer that eventually catches them? I think it's safe to assume that they had to enter hyperspace in a hurry.
Old 12-25-16, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

George Lucas made his fair share of mistakes with the franchise and I'm not defending him but there was a point where he just couldn't win. I don't blame him for cutting himself loose from the fanboy criticism when he did (of course a $4 billion payday didn't hurt).
Lucas' whole problem is that he didn't know when to stop making changes and wouldn't concede to fans who wanted the original Original Trilogy. Had he made his changes but at the same time allowed the unaltered films to exist I don't think he would have gotten nearly as much criticism as he has. His whole woe is me I don't understand why fanboys hate me shtick is dumb.
Old 12-26-16, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Because he's Asian, right? If it were someone else y'all would think it's clever. #amirite
Hey, I'm just happy people didn't think Chirrut and Blaze were the guys from Kanja Klub in The Force Awakens.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.