DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/638418-rogue-one-star-wars-story-edwards-2016-%97-spoiler-filled-reviews-thread.html)

OldBoy 12-11-16 05:26 PM

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
" Rogue One: A Star Wars Story " (Starring: Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Donnie Yen, Alan Tudyk, Ben Mendelsohn, Wen Jiang, Forest Whitaker, Mads Mikkelsen)

Release Date:
12/16/16

Rating:
PG-13 (for extended sequences of sci-fi violence and action throughout.)

Running Time:
133m. (2h. 13m.)

Budget:
$200 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Jyn Erso, a Rebellion soldier and criminal, is about to experience her biggest challenge yet when Mon Mothma sets her out on a mission to steal the plans for the Death Star. With help from the Rebels, a master swordsman, and non-allied forces, Jyn will be in for something bigger than she thinks.

IMDb Info and Rating:
7.9 (3,871 votes as of 12/14/16)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:137 Rotten:27 (84% as of 12/14/16)

Metacritic:
65 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 12/14/16)

Trailer:

Poster Art:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6..._ver5_xxlg.jpg

Abob Teff 12-11-16 07:08 PM

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Jyn Erso is Snoke?! Holy shit! ;)

I am eagerly awaiting the post-release conversation on this -- thank you for setting it up Oldboy!

The pre-release discussion is interesting due to the number of people saying "temper your expectations, this won't be great without Luke, Han, and Leia". Notice nobody mentions Chewie in that breath ... no medal again. :( Anyway, it will be interesting!

OldBoy 12-11-16 07:44 PM

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Have my reserved seats already purchased. Yee haw!

Hazel Motes 12-12-16 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 12966720)
Jyn Erso is Snoke?! Holy shit! ;)

I am eagerly awaiting the post-release conversation on this -- thank you for setting it up Oldboy!

The pre-release discussion is interesting due to the number of people saying "temper your expectations, this won't be great without Luke, Han, and Leia". Notice nobody mentions Chewie in that breath ... no medal again. :( Anyway, it will be interesting!

Vader > Luke, Han, Leia

redcon1 12-13-16 12:45 PM

Currently at 84% on RT. 41 Fresh, 8 Rotten.

E Unit 12-13-16 01:02 PM

For comparisons sake, what did Episode VII end up with on RT?

SmackDaddy 12-13-16 01:07 PM

Force Awakens: 92% Fresh (333 fresh, 28 rotten)

Solid Snake 12-13-16 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by redcon1 (Post 12967818)
Currently at 84% on RT. 41 Fresh, 8 Rotten.

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy (Post 12967844)
92% Fresh (333 fresh, 28 rotten)

..... that was quick.

Obi-Wanma 12-13-16 01:26 PM

I'm reading it as 79% at the moment (63/17)

OldBoy 12-13-16 01:39 PM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/71613...ar-wars-story/

RichC2 12-13-16 02:26 PM

Sounds like fan critics are loving it while regular critics are struggling to find anything unique about it.

Roeper's conclusion makes sense too:

Originally Posted by Richard Roeper
So why three and a half stars? Why not the full four stars? There was a little too much “We’ve got to do this!” and “I’m going to explain that!” in the dialogue — and the score was a bit heavy-handed and overbearing in the transitions from “inspirational music to accompany our heroes” to “foreboding harbinger of bad things to come” when various villains enter the picture.

Small stuff. Mostly and most memorably, “Rogue One” is a bright light in the “Star Wars” canon.

E Unit 12-13-16 02:37 PM

I know I'm in the minority, but I've never cared for Giacchino's music in pretty much ever movie he's done. The heavy-handiness worked briefly for the Star Trek reboot, but even then it was, well too heavy-handed. That may be the one aspect of this movie that will dull the level of excitement for me when I see it this weekend.

Mike86 12-13-16 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12967915)
Sounds like fan critics are loving it while regular critics are struggling to find anything unique about it.

Roeper's conclusion makes sense too:

I dunno some of the fan critic reviews I've listened to aren't bashing it but seem a bit mixed. It sounds like there's a lack of good characterization save for a few characters. None of them seem to really hate it but I don't think its going to knock our socks off with how great it is.

Lt Ripley 12-14-16 05:37 AM

We have a GAME CHANGER on our hands!!!!! Some guy named Michael Doran says Rogue One "is clearly the most accomplished feat of film making of the so-far eight."

I think he is forgetting just what Star Wars did in '77. This could end up having a better story, but no way in hell will this ever be considered a more accomplished film making feat than Star Wars.

Paul_SD 12-14-16 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12967991)
I dunno some of the fan critic reviews I've listened to aren't bashing it but seem a bit mixed. It sounds like there's a lack of good characterization save for a few characters. None of them seem to really hate it but I don't think its going to knock our socks off with how great it is.

Yeah, the lack of compelling characters/characterizations seems to be a consensus of many reviews.

Stuckmann's non spoiler review

Ash Ketchum 12-14-16 08:13 AM

A.O. Scott gives it a negative review in The New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/mo...dayspaper&_r=0

Here's a quote:

Millions of people will sit through this thoroughly mediocre movie (directed with basic competence by Gareth Edwards from a surprisingly hackish script by Chris Weitz and Tony Gilroy) and convince themselves that it’s perfectly delightful. It’s so much easier to obey than to resist. The spoiler warning sent by the Disney empire instructed journalists to “continue to be our partners on this journey,” and defiance is unthinkable, even if “partner” is taken as a synonym for “shill.”

Dan 12-14-16 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD (Post 12968360)
Stuckmann's non spoiler review

Why does that dude always have such an obnoxious fucking look on his face in his terrible YouTube thumbnails. Makes me want to punch him.

EddieMoney 12-14-16 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 12968395)
Why does that dude always have such an obnoxious fucking look on his face in his terrible YouTube thumbnails. Makes me want to punch him.

Because he's an obnoxious fuck who deserves to be punched.

fumanstan 12-14-16 09:45 AM

I never pay attention to people who become famous on YouTube, I was always confused when people kept citing Stuckmann as though he was a well known reviewer.

Mike86 12-14-16 10:03 AM

I like a lot of YouTube reviewers personally. Stuckmann is a good reviewer but I agree about his thumbnails being goofy.

GoldenJCJ 12-14-16 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 12968374)

Here's a quote:
Millions of people will sit through this thoroughly mediocre movie (directed with basic competence by Gareth Edwards from a surprisingly hackish script by Chris Weitz and Tony Gilroy) and convince themselves that it’s perfectly delightful. It’s so much easier to obey than to resist. The spoiler warning sent by the Disney empire instructed journalists to “continue to be our partners on this journey,” and defiance is unthinkable, even if “partner” is taken as a synonym for “shill.”

That sounds a lot like The Phantom Menace. A lot of people saw it for what it was right off the bat but there was a large number of fanboys who were in denial for quite some time.

clappj 12-14-16 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 12968374)

Here's a quote:

Sounds like A.O. Scott is a real Rebel, fighting against the evil Empire of Disney. :saber:

Honestly, I don't imagine Disney is worried enough about how "Rogue One" will perform at the BO to do a bunch of hand-wringing with movie reviewers. They will most likely make crazy money from all of the SW films they produce.

RichC2 12-14-16 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 12968441)
That sounds a lot like The Phantom Menace. A lot of people saw it for what it was right off the bat but there was a large number of fanboys who were in denial for quite some time.

If you're going to go with PT comparisons, his review reads more like Attack of the Clones than TPM or RotS, since it has a good bit of politics and apparently is too self-involved with its own obligations as being a Star Wars movie to just be a regular good movie that happens to be Star Wars.

His little rant on Disney not wanting him to spoil a couple details seems unusual though, that's standard issue.

Solid Snake 12-14-16 12:02 PM

A lot of "Donnie Yen stealing the show" moments in these reviews. Finally people are noticing him on a larger scale that won't be forgettable.

Rob V 12-14-16 12:23 PM

Stuckman's review isn't exactly glowing. He gives it a B... but he doesn't sound convinced of it. His review felt like a C but he upgraded because it is SW.