Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
8.33%
27.56%
33.97%
18.59%
7.05%
1.28%
1.92%
0.64%
0%
0.64%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-16, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Think Rogue One will get any Academy Award nominations/wins?

IIRC, the Force Awakens had three nominations but didn't have any wins.
Old 12-22-16, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 316 Likes on 216 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Ranger
Think Rogue One will get any Academy Award nominations/wins?
Maybe a nomination for visual effects. I doubt it would get any others.
Old 12-23-16, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I gotta tell ya, I get a real kick out of coming in here and watching you movie snobs pick apart perfectly good films, and how far out on a limb you go to exploit every little minor thing that you see as a flaw. It's borderline hilarious, to be perfectly honest. Keep it up, fellows...the entertainment value in this forum is solid gold.
:
On one hand I agree with you that the internet breeds negativity that lends to picking apart movies with a fine tooth comb.

On the other hand, you have to admit that blockbuster movies pretty much suck compared to 20-30 years ago.

I stated earlier in this thread that biggest problem with present day blockbusters is a director has the tools to do anything he or she wants and they have forgotten about a good script and character development.

Rogue One was an entertaining movie, but honestly the characters are forgettable, there are no memorable lines either. The only memorable scenes seem to be for the Darth Vader fans who cream their pants at anything he does in the suit.

Blockbusters in the 70's & 80's had memorable characters like Indiana Jones, Marty McFly, Luke Skywalker, etc. Can anyone name a new character in Rogue One that we will talking about 20 years from now?

Can anyone name a memorable line or scenes in this movie? Back to Future had, "You built a time machine...out of a Delorian?". Indiana Jones had the classic where the guy wields the Machete for 20 seconds and Indiana shoots him.

Rogue One is an entertaining movie, but its as bland as 99% of blockbusters today. Most are forgotten because they rely on big action sets and forget that the characters and story are what's really important.

I'm probably in the minority because blockbusters like The Avengers, Captain America, and Rogue One make loads of money, so maybe that's what people want? I find them generic and forgettable.
Old 12-23-16, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked the FCH article, but disagreed on a fair chunk. Maybe I'm just too used to reading multi-book fantasy series, but I felt that this entire movie was meant to smooth the transition from the 3rd movie to the forth, and personally, I think that it does. The Vader base visit was (in my mind) meant to drive home the ever widening gulf between the military side of the empire and the force side. The emporer used both, but they each fought for supremacy throughout the series. Krennic showing up and being all smug was a way to drive home how the gulf had become so wide by episode 4, especially since Anakin was coming from episode 3 where he was an active part of the military. Now, if you want to say that the plot should have a payoff in the same movie, that's fine. Like I said, I enjoyed the Wheel of Time series, sometimes you'd be left with a cliffhanger for 2 or 3 books.

One last example, FCH complains that even with specific info, the rebellion doesn't want to unite to rebel. Which is true. But to me, this movie was meant to showcase the rebellion crystalizing and coming together. At the end of 3, they had just split off. R1 shows them slowly being crushed, and presumably demoralized. 4 is called a new hope, referencing the plan to destroy the death star. A rebellion slowly losing would naturally lose cohesion and focus. They'd also splinter into more conservative groups and more fanatical groups. I can totally see the mindset of some always saying, "we need more information before we do anything" - the ones that had been burned by losses, and the ones who said, "let's do this" who had nothing to lose. Or loose if you wanted more typos. Then they came together at the end because they eally did have new hope.

He was dead on with the Vader pun though. I can't think of someone swing and missing on a character who had 6 movies worth of development worse, even if it was in a small way.
Old 12-23-16, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb

On the other hand, you have to admit that blockbuster movies pretty much suck compared to 20-30 years ago.

I stated earlier in this thread that biggest problem with present day blockbusters is a director has the tools to do anything he or she wants and they have forgotten about a good script and character development.

Rogue One was an entertaining movie, but honestly the characters are forgettable, there are no memorable lines either. The only memorable scenes seem to be for the Darth Vader fans who cream their pants at anything he does in the suit.

Blockbusters in the 70's & 80's had memorable characters like Indiana Jones, Marty McFly, Luke Skywalker, etc. Can anyone name a new character in Rogue One that we will talking about 20 years from now?
Nostalgia lens.

While there were certainly some great blockbusters in decades past, there were just as many shitty ones as there are today, probably even worse.

Time makes the crap fade.
Old 12-23-16, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Can anyone name a memorable line or scenes in this movie?
I'm seeing the blind monk's mantra being used in all kinds of memes, "I am one with the Force, the Force is with me."
Old 12-23-16, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Nostalgia lens.

While there were certainly some great blockbusters in decades past, there were just as many shitty ones as there are today, probably even worse.

Time makes the crap fade.
No doubt there has always been shitty blockbusters, no argument here on that.

Can you name a blockbuster in the last 5 years that you would consider a classic?
Old 12-23-16, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

No doubt there has always been shitty blockbusters, no argument here on that.

Can you name a blockbuster in the last 5 years that you would consider a classic?
Just off the top of my head...

The Avengers
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Star Wars TFA

...and I'm sure I can come up with another 5 or 10 if I really had time to go over the blockbusters from the last 5 years.
Old 12-23-16, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik

The Avengers
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Star Wars TFA
I knew you would bring the same old boring comic book movies.

That kind of proved my point as these comic book movies rely solely on big action sequences and CGi. Can you give me one line or dramatic scene that people will be talking about 20 years from now?

I liked the Force Awakens, but let's be honest it's a take off the Original Star Wars.
Old 12-23-16, 10:13 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I see this has devolved into a bickering thread. Shocking!
Old 12-23-16, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

BTW, Tarkin was doubled by this guy:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0377844/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t7
Old 12-23-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

The guy that played Scorpious in Farscape played Tarkin at the end of Episode 3, and they only showed him in a far shot with no lines. They should've just done the same thing, with maybe a couple lines, but still have the camera keep it's distance.
Old 12-23-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

I knew you would bring the same old boring comic book movies.

That kind of proved my point as these comic book movies rely solely on big action sequences and CGi. Can you give me one line or dramatic scene that people will be talking about 20 years from now?
Puny God. Flying monkeys - I got that reference! That man is playing Galaga. Hulk casually punching Thor after wiping out a group of Chitauri. Etc, etc, etc. And that's just one of those movies...
Old 12-23-16, 12:38 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Puny God. Flying monkeys - I got that reference! That man is playing Galaga. Hulk casually punching Thor after wiping out a group of Chitauri. Etc, etc, etc. And that's just one of those movies...
Glad to see at least one person enjoyed "Suicide Squad."
Old 12-23-16, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I'm seeing the blind monk's mantra being used in all kinds of memes, "I am one with the Force, the Force is with me."
Well, that's only "memorable" because we heard it about 100 times. Personally, it started to grate on my nerves a bit.
Old 12-23-16, 07:36 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Can anyone name a memorable line or scenes in this movie? Back to Future had, "You built a time machine...out of a Delorian?". Indiana Jones had the classic where the guy wields the Machete for 20 seconds and Indiana shoots him.
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
Old 12-23-16, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Well, that's only "memorable" because we heard it about 100 times. Personally, it started to grate on my nerves a bit.
Mine too.
Old 12-23-16, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Because he's Asian, right? If it were someone else y'all would think it's clever. #amirite
Old 12-23-16, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Because he's Asian, right? If it were someone else y'all would think it's clever. #amirite
Um, no... it's not clever (and it's certainly not about race.) The fact is, if he's one with the Force then obviously the Force is with him. The second part isn't necessary.
Old 12-23-16, 08:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
What the hell? You just said a similar thing over the politics forum. Cut it out.
Old 12-23-16, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse
What the hell? You just said a similar thing over the politics forum. Cut it out.

Relax - I was being sarcastic.
Old 12-23-16, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Um, no... it's not clever (and it's certainly not about race.) The fact is, if he's one with the Force then obviously the Force is with him. The second part isn't necessary.

The Force is with him, because he's scared? Does that work or no?

Seriously, the nitpicking over stupid shit on here as of late is hysterical. SMH
Old 12-23-16, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

An interesting take on Chirrut that I have not heard elsewhere ... It's obvious things changed dramatically as Lucas progressed from film to film, but early in the saga The Force is maligned as an "ancient religion". Even before the PT, we knew the Jedi were crucial to peace in the Galaxy though. So how have we gone from one end of the spectrum to the other?

I have questioned this jump -- how we went from the Jedi being protectors of the Galaxy to The Force being almost completely forgotten and now back to searching for Luke as a key to survival. While I feel the timing of this history is too compressed in the saga (for something so important to pass from memory), this addition of a cadre of "temple protectors" after the fall of the Jedi helps to enrich the lore that I want more of. I like the addition of characters like Chirrut who are not "Force-users" but have held on to the beliefs and practices of the Jedi, as well as some Force sensitivity.
Old 12-23-16, 10:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
An interesting take on Chirrut that I have not heard elsewhere ... It's obvious things changed dramatically as Lucas progressed from film to film, but early in the saga The Force is maligned as an "ancient religion". Even before the PT, we knew the Jedi were crucial to peace in the Galaxy though. So how have we gone from one end of the spectrum to the other?

I have questioned this jump -- how we went from the Jedi being protectors of the Galaxy to The Force being almost completely forgotten and now back to searching for Luke as a key to survival. While I feel the timing of this history is too compressed in the saga (for something so important to pass from memory), this addition of a cadre of "temple protectors" after the fall of the Jedi helps to enrich the lore that I want more of. I like the addition of characters like Chirrut who are not "Force-users" but have held on to the beliefs and practices of the Jedi, as well as some Force sensitivity.
i posted this in Force Awakens thread.
Originally Posted by Mabuse
I just listened to a podcast that contained a tremendous amount of relevance to The Force Awakens, especially some of the things the film gets criticized for.

Some have been critical about the idea that Han, Luke, The Force, etc seem to have been forgotten, slipping into the realm of myth in a single generation.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...are?act=2#play

This episode of This American Life (it's part 2 "Who Wants to Know") is about two kids, brother and sister, whose father played a role in a rebellion against a superpower. The brother has no memory of his father who died before he was born, the sister has only the faintest of adolescent memories.

A key moment comes when the sister refers to her father's actions as now being a myth. This is a guy who died only 26 years ago and his own daughter regards his leadership and battles and the war he fought as now being a myth residing in a file cabinet that even she doesn't fully know anything about. Does that sound familiar?

Another criticism of The Force Awakens revolves around The First Order and how, after the Empire was soundly defeated, something so similarly oppressive and similar looking could come along and carry on. The podcast recounts the last 30 years of Iranian political history. It tells how after deposing of one evil, undemocratic "Emperor"-like dictator, the rebels cheered that peace and secular democracy would finally arrive only to find that in just a short matter of time an equally repressive group, with an even creepier more evil looking figure head (the Ayatollah Khomeini), would come to power and terrorize the rebels yet again.

Not only is the story of the two siblings very good, but I think it really lends credence to the screenwriters and proves that what we're shown in The Force Awakens is very much aligned with things that can genuinely occur in history.
Old 12-23-16, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

Thanks Mabuse! I'll check it out! I enjoy This American Life, but don't listen to it regularly.

I suppose it does make sense ... I tried to instill some sense of history in my kids as they grew up, but the school system won out and they are clueless.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.