Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-17, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 556 Likes on 393 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

At least the effects seem kind of cool, but nothing about it is scary either.
Old 06-27-17, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

I'm surprised they didn't turn Slimer into a phantom tampon.
Old 06-27-17, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,254 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
At least the effects seem kind of cool...
...for a live action Scooby-Doo movie.
Old 08-07-17, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 226 Likes on 190 Posts

Mr. Plinkett's next review. Will be posted tomorrow.

Old 08-19-17, 02:22 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 169 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
In the original film the concept was that the whole world is the straight man and the Ghostbusters are the funny non-conformists (with the one exception of Rick Moranis). In the remake they make everyone funny. The mayor is funny, the receptionist is funny, the tour guide is funny, everyone is funny. That is to say jokes are put into their mouths, none of it is particularly funny. Anyway, that's like a 90's sitcom.

All they had to do was match the original and it would have been passable. They tweeked everything and made it worse.
I watched the Mr. Plinkett review last night. He spells it all out pretty well. He largely agrees with my post above. They fucked up the fundamental premise that the whole world is the straight man and the Ghostbusters are the irreverent ones.
Old 08-20-17, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I watched the Mr. Plinkett review last night. He spells it all out pretty well. He largely agrees with my post above. They fucked up the fundamental premise that the whole world is the straight man and the Ghostbusters are the irreverent ones.
I thought he summed up why the movie didn't work pretty well. I also find it telling that a year after this reboot, all GB merchandise that is released(minus Halloween costumes) are all based on the original two movies.
Old 08-20-17, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,353 Likes on 978 Posts

A year later and the butthurt is still strong.
Old 08-20-17, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A year later and the movie still sucks ass.
Old 08-20-17, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,353 Likes on 978 Posts

Yeah, tell us something that hasn't been made abundantly clear. Over and over and over.
Old 08-20-17, 04:44 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,312 Likes on 934 Posts

Did this flick really need an hour-long review, a year after it came out, to remind all the angry dudes that they were totally right about it?
I'm all for in-depth film analysis and all that jazz, but it sounds like he could have summarized this entire video in the length of a tweet or two.
Old 08-20-17, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 226 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Did this flick really need an hour-long review, a year after it came out, to remind all the angry dudes that they were totally right about it?
I'm all for in-depth film analysis and all that jazz, but it sounds like he could have summarized this entire video in the length of a tweet or two.
This isn't his first review of this kind. He did a great series on the Star Wars prequels.

Anyway, I enjoyed it.
Old 08-20-17, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
That's what Red Letter Media does. It takes time to make a video like this, and I'm sure their youtube subscribers were requesting them to review this movie.
Old 08-20-17, 09:34 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 169 Likes on 127 Posts

Red Letter Media has regular shows that review movies right away. They reviewed Answer the Call back when it came out. Mr. Plinkett reviews are a whole other thing. They take time.
Old 02-18-19, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah. I guess the thing to me that I've said this entire time is firing shots back at the haters to me doesn't help at all. It makes the cast and crew look immature and unprofessional and not really any better than the haters. That's honestly a lot of the reason why I've taken more of a stance against the film (aside from it looking bad) is that they want to act like they're empowering women with this girl power message yet can't rise against being better than people who are shitting on their film. The whole thing has just rubbed me the wrong way and feels like they've just been more about pushing an agenda rather than focusing on making a good film.
Your last sentence could not have been more accurate. That's all it came down to in the end was to make a PC movie to make all the whiners out there happy. Personally I like every one of those women as an actor. I really like Melisa McCarthy. She's always fun to watch. However putting them together in this reminded of The Cable Guy and The Number 23....2 of the worst movies with Jim Carrey that I've ever seen. I never finished The Number 23 because of how horrible it was. Point is that Jim Carrey is a great actor, but they put him in a role that just doesn't work because people who know him, know how funny he is.

In my opinion....go ahead and make all the PC movies you want to make. Put a fat woman in the role of Wonder Woman. Cast a fat guy for Captain America. Do this nonsense all you want. I only ask for one thing: DO NOT start complaining because no one goes to see your movie....similar to when transgender people say that you should date them no matter what (Yes there are many YouTube videos with people saying that crap). Because we know that the PC community won't be happy with just getting a movie.

Like I said...these ladies are great actors and they've shown they can do very well. But if you want to start alienating fans just to make a small percentage of people happy, then you deserve to have your movie go down in flames. It is after all...someone's movie. Someone has the final say regardless of the PC movement. So, IF you can implement a little bit of PC in your movie then great. Otherwise, get a backbone and make the movie you know the fans (the real fans) will love.
Old 02-18-19, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm honestly kind of angry this thread got bumped since there will be a new Ghostbusters in 2020 and this movie needs to be forgotten.
Old 02-18-19, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,100 Likes on 872 Posts

It was a thoroughly forgettable movie. A thread bump doesn't change that.
Old 02-18-19, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,232 Likes on 960 Posts

Red Letter Media has regular shows that review movies right away. They reviewed Answer the Call back when it came out. Mr. Plinkett reviews are a whole other thing. They take time.
Yeah, the actual Mr. Plinkett reviews are pretty rare. The guys behind Red Letter Media do a more regular review show called Half in the Bag. Those are usually shorter (like half an hour to forty minutes) and a lot of times cover two movies. They have had Mr. Plinkett on as a character on that as well though as its a review show mixed with a storyline. The reviews start and end with the two hosts (normally Mike and Jay) in “character” (pretty much exaggerated versions of themselves) before going into the review.
Old 02-18-19, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86

Yeah, the actual Mr. Plinkett reviews are pretty rare. The guys behind Red Letter Media do a more regular review show called Half in the Bag. Those are usually shorter (like half an hour to forty minutes) and a lot of times cover two movies. They have had Mr. Plinkett on as a character on that as well though as its a review show mixed with a storyline. The reviews start and end with the two hosts (normally Mike and Jay) in “character” (pretty much exaggerated versions of themselves) before going into the review.
I'm ready for the Nerd Crew to come back when the first episode 9 trailer is revealed.
Old 02-19-19, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm honestly kind of angry this thread got bumped since there will be a new Ghostbusters in 2020 and this movie needs to be forgotten.
You should be adult enough to not be angry about a movie. It didn't hurt you, it didn't ruin your life, get over it already, man.
Old 02-19-19, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,872 Likes on 1,157 Posts

What a silly thing to say about a movie.
Old 02-19-19, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

I didn't think it was that bad actually. Chris Hemsworth was a highlight for me. He was pretty funny.
Old 02-20-19, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I didn't think it was that bad actually. Chris Hemsworth was a highlight for me. He was pretty funny.
That scene doesn't hold up for me. The only stuff that holds up is some of the Wiig material. The rest just seems like prolonged "skit"-material upon a re-watch. But, like others, I never blamed the cast for this - I blame the writers and, more significantly, the director.
Old 02-20-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,100 Likes on 872 Posts

I did feel like Feig was the wrong pick for it, didn't like the look of the film, and felt there wasn't nearly enough character development to make it memorable. It never felt like there were any real stakes, and the comedy didn't hit enough to go in that direction.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-20-19 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-20-19, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

For me Kate McKinnon made the movie. Every scene she was in she stole. I wouldn't call it a strong movie but I enjoyed it more than most others on this board.
Old 02-20-19, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 807 Likes on 487 Posts

Kind of reminds me when the first promo pictures for Superman Returns came out, and the fanboys started screeching about "how gay" Brandon Routh looked in the costume... and then immediately offered up five paragraphs worth of fashion tips and tailoring advice on how to make the costume "presentable". Tim Gunn, eat your heart out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.