Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-17, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Ghostbusters (2016, D: Feig)

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I said it from the beginning, achieving the monumental task of reuniting (almost) the entire cast after so many years of will they won't they, only to play cameo's was a brain dead idea. I mean, imagine if they did that with The Force Awakens. After 30 years Harrison, Mark and Carrie are coming back, but they're gonna be cameo's as different characters. People would have lost their minds. Seeing Bill Murray in a new Ghostbusters movie, but not as Peter Venkman was such a huge buzzkill.

Although in the end I guess it's a bit of a moot point because with Katie Dippold as a 0-3 screenwriter and the studio having to basically beg Paul Feig to do it because of his total indifference to the project, the movie was basically doomed from the get go.

For me, a straight sequel to the first 2 was the only way to go and even then it was a huge risk of being a failure because unlike the Star Wars franchise under Disney, they never really had the right people behind it assuring it was a quality product while it was in developmental hell all those years. I dunno, I think a new Ghostbusters movie should have probably died with Harold Ramis.
Good post, agree entirely with it.

Also, I understand that Pascal was dead-set on getting Feig for this movie, but once he showed no interest in the project, she should've moved on to someone else. Him saying the only way he'd do it is with another origin story should've been the "best of luck in your future endeavors" parting moment. It's Ghostbusters, surely there's a good director out there who'd love the chance to continue that story with Aykroyd, Hudson, Weaver, Reitman, and Murray (forced or unforced) on board to help/contribute.
Old 06-07-17, 10:24 AM

Received 4,678 Likes on 3,168 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHive08
Good post, agree entirely with it.

Also, I understand that Pascal was dead-set on getting Feig for this movie, but once he showed no interest in the project, she should've moved on to someone else. Him saying the only way he'd do it is with another origin story should've been the "best of luck in your future endeavors" parting moment. It's Ghostbusters, surely there's a good director out there who'd love the chance to continue that story with Aykroyd, Hudson, Weaver, Reitman, and Murray (forced or unforced) on board to help/contribute.
There were. And there are emails from the Sony hack that pretty much show how the whole thing went down. It is infuriating.
Old 06-07-17, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
You know the "red pill" is from a movie directed by two transgender women, right?

Gosh this stuff is tiring.
Originally Posted by Mabuse
Wait, are both of them transgender now?
Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Yes, they both are now.
Originally Posted by RichC2
Lana and Lilly
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I have been to the doctor and I might have to get hormone shots for my anxiety, paranoia, my head feels foggy all the time, and mood swings. They said it takes a minimum of two months to transition from nights to days now that I no longer work for them.
Skip a few posts and things get really fucked up ...
Old 06-07-17, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

Old 06-09-17, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Without Google? I don't know what's he's up to right now. I always associate him with Freaks and Geeks, 30 Rock (my favorite episode, coincidentally), Arrested Development, Bridesmaids, etc.
Yeah. I used Google, and that's about what I came up with. Some good, but older television. Recently it seems like he has to cast Melissa McCarthy in everything he makes. She is so one note that she just drags down everything she is in. So, in my opinion, he hasn't done much of consequence for several years now.
Old 06-10-17, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHive08
It's Ghostbusters, surely there's a good director out there who'd love the chance to continue that story with Aykroyd, Hudson, Weaver, Reitman, and Murray (forced or unforced) on board to help/contribute.
Although I still enjoy GBII, it wasn't that great on it's own. I feel like a sequel with that cast would be like indulging in fanfic and nostalgia. IMO the original cast and director dropped the ball with the first sequel.
It wasn't a continuation of the story like the animated series but instead just a retread of the original.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I don't know if having daughters/nieces/etc. to the original cast would have been terribly great (not the most original idea, IMO) but a continuation of the original series where many teams of Ghostbusters around the world have been created and the original four are revered and treated like pioneers/legends of the trade could have been easily written into a new Ghostbusters movie with pretty much the same limited screen time for the original actors (as the original four) without shitting on the fans of the original.
I think a sequel in the same universe makes sense. But I can see why they would want to do a reboot for the same reason that GBII had everyone in the movie thinking the events in the first GB were a hoax. If the whole world believes in ghosts, the world they inhabit would be drastically different from the real world, and that real world/gritty NY is what made the first one so great. I mean, it could be done, but it wouldn't be easy.
Old 06-11-17, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts

http://movieweb.com/ghostbusters-4-u...-reboot-casts/

Not worth starting a new thread since this is only rumor, but Reitman wants to make another Ghostbusters movie and unite the old and new cast together.

Apparently he said this in some Podcast and that can be viewed in the link. Only happening when and if Sony wants to make it. Not up to him.

Yesterday was Ghostbusters Day and, in honor of the occasion, Ivan Reitman and star Ernie Hudson sat down to chat with Super News Live. Reitman talked a bit about where the franchise is going and revealed that he wanted to see this new Ghostbusters movie connect to the original and, if all goes well, he hopes to be able to make that happen in Ghostbusters 4. Here's what he had to say about it.

"We're doing a lot of work about where do we go next with Ghostbusters. I think one thing that fans have clearly wanted, and so did I, that somehow we tie the worlds together. I think it was a little awkward that it wasn't connected, and we certainly heard a lot from everybody out there. So I would definitely want to connect to all of that."
Great! So, if Sony makes another Ghostbusters movie of some kind, which they probably will at some point, Ivan Reitman wants to connect them. Smart. But not so fast. This situation is very complicated now. The new Ghostbusters was a reboot that featured stars Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd, who has recently been bashing director Paul Feig publically, as new characters. Albeit, small, unimportant characters. But still, that does present a problem. Would they just ignore that and somehow unite the two movies? It's unclear. What is clear is that the new Ghostbusters probably should have been a continuation in the first place. That issue aside, Ivan Reitman also talked a bit about where they would take the franchise, which probably won't be a direct continuation of Paul Feig's reboot, should they get the chance.

"What we've been doing a lot of is thinking about the franchise rights for Ghostbusters. Because Ghostbusters, that idea doesn't have to just take place in New York, it can happen over the world. I think it would be really cool to see Korean ghosts or Chinese ghosts. All those great traditions in the world have all these tales and things those people are afraid of. To have a sort of local group of Ghostbusters that tie with the head office in New York would be fun."
Old 06-11-17, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 203 Posts

Good Luck...and it will never happen.
Old 06-12-17, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 430 Likes on 311 Posts

Agreed, the best thing would be to just forget it ever happened.
Old 06-12-17, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 402 Likes on 269 Posts

New York is as important to the original Ghostbusters as Reitman or any of the actors. I have no interest in a Hong Kong Ghostbusters. Moot point I guess because I have no interest in any new Ghostbusters film. And as luck would have it, there will likely never be another one.
Old 06-12-17, 09:30 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The only people I respect anymore are Robert Zemekis and Bob Gale. The only baby boomer film brats who refuse to pump every fucking dime out of their old hit. Reitman sounds like someone trying to talk you into paying to fuck his grandmother.

Last edited by Mabuse; 06-12-17 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-12-17, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts

New York is as important to the original Ghostbusters as Reitman or any of the actors. I have no interest in a Hong Kong Ghostbusters. Moot point I guess because I have no interest in any new Ghostbusters film. And as luck would have it, there will likely never be another one.
?? There are ghost stories all around the world, New York was a great setting for the first two films, but if you want to sell a movie internationally it wouldn't hurt to expand your point of view.

And apparently a crossover has already done in the comics. I haven't seen the issue, so I don't know what it takes but I recall the old cartoon seemed to get into inter-dimensional shenanigans so it wouldn't be too far fetched to have a crossover.
Old 06-12-17, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 745 Likes on 545 Posts

New York is as important to the original Ghostbusters as Reitman or any of the actors.
Maybe the attitude of NY is important, but not the city itself (shit, some of it was shot in LA). This was the feeling with part 2. If they were smart, they could play the reboot as an alternate universe Ghostbusters and that is how they can have Murray/Hudson/Aykroyd play different characters. All this caused by the initial crossing of the streams to close the portal.

It's no different than if the Dwayne Johnson BTiLC happens separate from the Carpenter version. There are many different chinatowns in different cities. Each can have their own story and could combine casts if it needed it.
Old 06-12-17, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

That motherfucker! I want royalties!

I have long said the only way move forward is to pick up sort of where GB2 started -- the group is down on their luck and fractured after the events of the first film. Ray is hosting a television ghost hunters show, Egon has gone back to a university, and Venkman has been selling Ghostbusters franchises around the world with Winston actually doing all the real work in the business ...
Old 06-13-17, 11:13 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

Egon is also a bit down on his luck.
Old 06-13-17, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course what's they could get Bill Murray to be in it? Didn't the studio have to threaten to sue him to get him into the female Ghostbusters film? (Never understood how that can happen). So pretty much just Hudson & Aykroyd are the only ones ready to sign on.
Old 06-13-17, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Of course what's they could get Bill Murray to be in it? Didn't the studio have to threaten to sue him to get him into the female Ghostbusters film? (Never understood how that can happen). So pretty much just Hudson & Aykroyd are the only ones ready to sign on.
The Ghostbusters.
Directed by Wes Anderson.
Old 06-13-17, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
The Ghostbusters.
Directed by Wes Anderson.
Written by Joel Cohen.
Old 06-13-17, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Written by Joel Cohen.
I think he learned his lesson on that one. And still did a sequel.
Old 06-27-17, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 430 Likes on 311 Posts

So I am finally giving in and I'm watching the movie, I rented it from my local library therefore Sony won't get any money from me to watch it. All I can say as I am about half way through it, it's just not funny. Leslie Jones is the only woman who I could believe as a Ghostbusters because she is 6' tall and built like a guy. All of the other woman are too short and in the case of Melissa McCarthy too fat to ever do such a job. I'll post more later.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 06-27-17 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-27-17, 02:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

So I am finally giving in and watching the movie, I rented it from my local library therefore Sony won't get any money from me to watch it. All I can say as I am about half way through it, it's just not funny. Leslie Jones is the only woman who I could believe as a Ghostbusters because she is 6' tall and built like a guy. All of the other woman are too short and in the case of Melissa McCarthy too fat to ever do such a job. I'll post more later.
Please don't.
Old 06-27-17, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 431 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Please don't.
Old 06-27-17, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All I can say as I am about half way through it, it's just not funny.
I think that's the only thing most people would agree with you on.
Old 06-27-17, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,069 Posts

So I am finally giving in and I'm watching the movie, I rented it from my local library therefore Sony won't get any money from me to watch it. All I can say as I am about half way through it, it's just not funny. Leslie Jones is the only woman who I could believe as a Ghostbusters because she is 6' tall and built like a guy. All of the other woman are too short and in the case of Melissa McCarthy too fat to ever do such a job. I'll post more later.
What on earth about being a Ghostbuster requires being a man? They're basically exterminators.

You know what? Nevermind Hope you enjoyed your time spent watching a movie you knew you were going to hate going into it.
Old 06-27-17, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Please don't.
I need to watch this movie already

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.