Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-21, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 203 Likes on 164 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Locked Down - This had it's moments, but overall I didn't really care for it. The heist didn't make much sense. (HBO Max)
Old 02-27-21, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Melancholia. A movie about depression and about the end of the world. It's one of the best movies I've seen for a long time.

Mrs Danger and I couldn't agree about the first half of the movie depicting a dreadful wedding reception. Was the reception full of people who behave awfully all the time, or if it was full of people behaving awfully because they knew it was the end of the world?

Or was it really pretty normal, and not as bad as Justine perceived it through her depression?
For once I agree with you 2, the opening sequence alone with Wagner's Tristan overture as music is stunning!
Old 02-27-21, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 226 Likes on 190 Posts

Wrong Turn (2021) — It was okay. Glad it wasn't just a rehash of the original (which I have a little fondness for, as many issues that one had). This one seemed to have elements of The Witch to me and at least found it mildly entertaining and I liked Charlotte Vega in the lead. However, found the six main characters to be just dumb asses, but maybe that's the most realistic element, I can see 20-somethings going off-trail like that. Anyway, doubtful I'll ever watch (anytime soon) but probably worth a rental. ***/*****
Old 02-27-21, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 828 Likes on 673 Posts

It was not bad but not a classic either
Old 02-28-21, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Vanguard (2020) — Pretty awful in just about every way. The action is tired and boring, the acting all around awful (including Chan who looked disinterested) and the CGI was laughably bad where in an age of Fast and Furious (and I know that series employs CGI as well, but some of the car stunts are real), it's inexcusable that they couldn't even do a drift without visual effects.

The plot itself is weak and the climax with the villain's ultimate plan of revenge (on a captain of a USS carrier who we only see for a few minutes) is a letdown and a weapon he paid $800M for was weak and easily destroyed. A real waste of nearly two hours. *½/*****
Old 02-28-21, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did not pay a theater ticket so I would not say it was awful but not great either.

Maybe this is Chloe Maretz wheelhouse and stay away from the dramas where you are required to act.
Old 02-28-21, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I own it so I did not think it was horrible though that Eminem song in the closing credits was shit.

One of those rare movies set in SF and the Bay Area but probably not filmed here.
Old 03-01-21, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lola Versus - Gerwig always has a unique charm, but I stopped caring about the characters in this long before it was over. (HBO Max)
Old 03-01-21, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 262 Likes on 229 Posts

Disney's Tarzan BD rental
I hadn't watched this since it's Theatrical days, even though I still have the Collector's Edition DVD. I never upgraded because of a negative review of the video quality that got in my head. I didn't notice any bothersome video problems, but the review may have done me a favor. Normally I can watch a Disney film and I can look past the more "Kid-Friendly" elements and view them on a less cynical level. However, the "Comic Relief" in this one really bugged me and ruined one scene after another. I knew what I was getting into but it seemed like there was a missed opportunity here for a somewhat deeper adventure.

Dead Snow BD rental
Director: Tommy Wirkola
A Norwegian Pastiche of "Cabin In The Woods" films, with a group of friends on a ski vacation that are attacked by a horde of relentless Nazi zombies.

I should have loved this one. Wirkola's camera work is clever and he has a lot of gory fun with the premise. However, it feels entirely cribbed from Sam Raimi's "Evil Dead" and other Zombie films and the thin premise just wasn't very engaging for me.

Last edited by DWilson; 07-22-21 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-01-21, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Don is Dead (1973) — Unambitious but still entertaining enough mafia crime-drama featuring pretty good performances, for the most part anyway, that likely came about due to the success of The Godfather, released a year prior (I assume many studios were buying up rights to other mafia-based novels). Anthony Quinn is quite good, as is Robert Forster save for a scene upon hearing about the death of his father, there the emotion felt hollow. But otherwise, it's a passable crime-drama worth checking out. ***¼/*****
Old 03-01-21, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It started kind of slow but picked up and worth the watch
Old 03-02-21, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Florida Project - Interesting movie. I'm not entirely sure I liked it. but it certainly is memorable. (VUDU)
Old 03-02-21, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw it twice and it still held up. Dafoe should have gotten a Oscar.

It has been a long time that I saw this and almost felt like a new movie.
Old 03-02-21, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Lone Ranger (2013) - It's too long. It's too dark (did we really need the second Indian massacre...much less have that play at the same time as the LR/Tonto cartoonish escape). I have no idea why they decided to play John Reid as a buffoon, and the less said about Johnny Depp as Tonto the better. But....I would be lying if I said that I wasn't fully onboard when the William Tell Overture hit in the third act. (VUDU)
Old 03-02-21, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Spider-Man Homecoming

Stark and Happy were completely in the wrong here - Peter saw a threat and they dismissed him and if Toomes had gotten that plane the Avengers would have been in bad shape.

Keaton was just awesome though.
Old 03-03-21, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 262 Likes on 229 Posts

Soul Disney+
Excellent film that expertly blends commercial elements with deeper emotional and spiritual elements. I was truly surprised to see Reznor and Ross credited with the score.

Creatures The World Forgot HD Streaming Rental
The last of Hammer's "Caveman" pictures from the early '70s. It's the usual story for them, -there's a more progressive fair-haired tribe and a more brutal darker-haired tribe and they struggle to survive. No dialogue this time, -not even a made-up one. It's fairly straight-forward and the "B-Movie" elements are fairly restrained for something like this. There is this scene, however, featuring an attacking cave bear and it's clearly an actor in a bear costume. I prefer my "Prehistoric" movies with stop-motion dinosaurs.
Old 03-03-21, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,582 Likes on 1,002 Posts

The Birds. I liked it. I've never seen it before. It's mostly about women and their relationships, with creepy birds attacking in the second half. I didn't expect a Hitchcock movie to pass the Bechtel test. The manly man with the strong jawline gets to do some manly stuff, but it doesn't really help the situation.

I would have like the movie more if the children weren't all idiots. For example, when they were attacked by birds, they ran to the front gate, opened it, and tried to get away. When I was that age, I was attacked by a whole yellowjacket hive, and I sure knew to run inside the house. It's written that way to place more of a burden on the female lead, but those kids cross the disbelief line and are too stupid to live.
Old 03-03-21, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Received 1,128 Likes on 653 Posts

Soleil O, 1970.
49th film on my way to 52 foreign films in a year of quarantine.
Definitely powerful stuff, dealing with issues and attitudes the Western World is still dealing with today.
Old 03-03-21, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am a sucker for a WWII drama but this was kind of boring.
Old 03-04-21, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Taffin (1988) — Despite it being 96-minutes, the pacing on this felt off and some of the acting was so-so (along with some bad ADR). But Brosnan shows his natural charisma that makes it all the more watchable (but I am biased, love Brosnan's Bond movies, save for the second half of Die Another Day). **¾/*****
Old 03-04-21, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Showtime

You really need to use closed captioning to understand the dialogue.

Maybe worth seeing for the two actors involved though the ending WTF?
Old 03-04-21, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Yeah, I saw that one a few years back and had a really hard time figuring out what they were saying. I think I did turn on the subtitles eventually.
The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (03-05-21)
Old 03-05-21, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Madame Sin (1971). Bette Davis is a supervillain. Robert Wagner is the agent she wants to recruit into her organization. I've wondered how Blofeld got all those top scientists and engineers to work for him. More grim than James Bond movies. Elderly Bette Davis could still carry a scene. I kind of liked it. (Tubi)
Old 03-05-21, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
^ Yeah, I saw that one a few years back and had a really hard time figuring out what they were saying. I think I did turn on the subtitles eventually.
I don't understand that trend. I even saw some movie review which complained that the "actors speak unnaturally clearly." What's wrong with clear communication?
Old 03-05-21, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it showed a certain uneducated segment in the UK and that was they way they really talked so they were going for realism.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.