Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-18, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't think they go under... I would think they would drastically change the terms of service while they still have some money left.
I could live with a change, as long as it is reasonable. For example, if they reduced it to one movie per week, but removed the repeat viewing restriction, and allowed advance purchases, and allowed 3D/IMAX tickets to be purchased (even if they only pay up to the 2D ticket price), that would still be a very useful service for me.
Old 05-10-18, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The whole attraction to me was for when I travel on business. So any limitation as to theater or movies per week would kill it. Repeat viewings is not a problem because I rarely see anything twice in the theater.
Old 05-11-18, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 240 Posts

Just received this e-mail this afternoon:

Hi Cardsfan111,

Everyone knows that movies are more fun together, so we're excited to offer you an exclusive referral pass!

Give a free month of MoviePass for up to three of your favorite movie buddies and be the best friend ever. You only have three to give, so choose wisely!

Just copy and send the link below:

**link that looks to be unique**
Anyone else receive this? So we're concerned about how this company can continue at their present rate and they're giving away free months.
Old 05-11-18, 04:32 PM

Received 4,661 Likes on 3,156 Posts

I got it too.
Old 05-11-18, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

#metoo
Old 05-11-18, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't looked at it too closely as far as restrictions. Tempted to have my family sign up. Get the cards right when school lets out and see a few films before cancelling the 3 "gifts". Would be nice to catch Solo, Won't You Be My Neighbor? & Incredibles 2, all of which we were likely to see anyway.

Might even be tempted to keep them another month (guess that's their hope), or at least until school is back in session.
Old 05-11-18, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Yes, I have probably taken them for $3-$4 in concession credits after I paid $15 to join their rewards program by buying a ticket to a movie at one of their theaters using my Movie Pass card when I was in fact going to another movie in their theater, paying a premium price with my own credit card. I am a criminal mastermind!

I sincerely hope you have never gotten a movie reward point from any movie you ever purchased a ticket from using your Movie Pass card, because according to their Terms of Service, that's scamming them as well.
Glad that you are so happy to admit scamming yet another company. I don't know about "mastermind" though. As crimes go, it's pretty weak.
Old 05-11-18, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,324 Likes on 4,322 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Glad that you are so happy to admit scamming yet another company. I don't know about "mastermind" though. As crimes go, it's pretty weak.
So answer the question, do you EVER use any sort of theater chain rewards program with a Movie Pass purchase?
Old 05-11-18, 08:47 PM

So answer the question, do you EVER use any sort of theater chain rewards program with a Movie Pass purchase?
You don’t earn your Movie Pass Boy Scout badge that way.
Old 05-11-18, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 971 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Just received this e-mail this afternoon:

Anyone else receive this? So we're concerned about how this company can continue at their present rate and they're giving away free months.

Come on Movie Pass. I’m really rooting for you but come on. Do you have to make dumb decisions like this all the time? Is there any reason at all to do this right now with big Summer blockbuster movies coming out?
Old 05-12-18, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

No.
Old 05-12-18, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,252 Likes on 862 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Yes. You are scamming them. You are part of the reason that they had to change the terms that you love to bitch and moan about.
Some of that is (finally) true. People using the product as MoviePass set forth in their own TOS caused MP to change the terms without notifying paying customers in advance.

I understand that there were/are actual abuses of MoviePass — people reselling tickets, people using other people’s MP, people using MP for unauthorized screenings, and people using MP to buy concessions. There are fixes for those and that is fine. Changes to stem MP’s bleeding are another story. Again, I understand they may need to make those changes to be sustainable, but I was sold a product under certain terms and I can no longer use it under the terms I purchased it under. Again, I understand they may need to change the terms but it is good customer relations (which we already know they don’t have) to notify customers in advance.

PS — Don’t forget about us scamming the concession stand when we throw away the popcorn and soda we paid for but didn’t finish. I just scammed a gas station because I didn’t finish my coffee this morning. #makin’ it rain up in this bitch! #early retirement

PPS — I almost forgot about the Girl Scouts I scammed earlier. Little girls were selling cookies outside the grocery store. I could have bought the same cookies in the store for 1/5th the cost. I could have bought the cookies from the Girl Scouts. Instead I gave the Girl Scouts the cost of a few boxes and left without any cookies. You should have seen the little twerps crying as I walked away, laughing all the way to the bank. #evil ingenious global domination

Last edited by Abob Teff; 05-12-18 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-12-18, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm in a bit of a dilemma with this. I'd like to reactivate my account, but in looking up how to do it, it says you can't reactivate within 9 months after you deactivate. So I go in to start a new account, but it says my email is already in use. So I reinstall the app and try to log in, but it says I don't have an active subscription. Well, no shit, what do you think I'm trying to do? How do I get this thing going again?
Old 05-12-18, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 780 Likes on 377 Posts

When and why did you cancel? You're really not supposed to be able to restart your account without the 9 month waiting period. To create a new account, you'll have to use a different email address, and maybe a different credit card too.

Even then, they could catch on and close your account.
Old 05-12-18, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

It was posted a while back about the 9-month wait. That's why I didn't cancel even though I wasn't going to use it for at least a month.
Old 05-12-18, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I'm in a bit of a dilemma with this. I'd like to reactivate my account, but in looking up how to do it, it says you can't reactivate within 9 months after you deactivate. So I go in to start a new account, but it says my email is already in use. So I reinstall the app and try to log in, but it says I don't have an active subscription. Well, no shit, what do you think I'm trying to do? How do I get this thing going again?
You're fucked. You have to wait 9 months. Why did you cancel it to begin with?
Old 05-12-18, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts

A different email?

I had to do that. I joined when it started at the $10 rate.
A few months later the Costco deal appeared so I cancelled the first account and opened a new one with the Costco deal and a different email.

You aren’t getting into that first account before 9 months.
Old 05-13-18, 10:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m surprised MoviePass allows repertory screenings. That would be an easy way to cut costs, limiting it only to new release titles. I guess it’s not significant enough, although there are a few theaters in NYC that are heavily subsidized by MoviePass with the same people seeing a different movie every night. I imagine it’s the same in LA. Drop in the bucket, I know...
Old 05-13-18, 07:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Message to ALL here - warnings and/or possible suspensions will be given if dialogue and interaction with other members becomes hostile or combative.
Old 05-14-18, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Used it last night and had no problems uploading the ticket, unlike last week.
Old 05-14-18, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This isn't really a specific MoviePass issue, but allow me to vent for just a moment.

My $9.95 subscription is set up through PayPal which is linked to a credit card. I just noticed my charge this month was taken from my bank account (set up as a backup funding source). I called PayPal who indicated the charge was declined with my credit card because of some security check. When I inquired, they confirmed this wasn't an issue with the credit card, but a security check on their end (with no explanation on why something failed). The customer service lady repeatedly said "Rest assured, this was a one-time thing and won't happen again". I expressed my frustration that I could believe that to be the case. A $10 withdrawal from my checking account is one thing. If a larger amount had been removed in a similar case, this could have caused significant problems. She did eventually offer to remove the charge and put it through to my card, but I told her not to mess with it at this point. Didn't want it to interrupt or cause an issue with my MP subscription. [/rant]
Old 05-14-18, 08:32 AM

MoviePass’ stock has tanked in recent days on concerns about a cash shortage.

In an interview at the Cannes Film Festival, Ted Farnsworth, head of MoviePass’ parent company Helios & Matheson Analytics, said the subscription service has roughly $300 million available to it from an equity line of credit. The Helios chief is in the South of France to premiere “Gotti,” the John Travolta crime movie that MoviePass is releasing in conjunction with Vertical Entertainment.

“There’s been a feeding frenzy of negativity, but it’s not going to slow us down,” said Farnsworth. “I’m not worried at all. You’re going to see. We’re doing more acquisitions of movies and companies.”

MoviePass faces its share of skeptics. In a public filing last week, MoviePass disclosed it had $15.5 million in available cash — less than it traditionally spends to finance ticket buying on a monthly basis. Shares of parent Helios & Matheson Analytics slid 17¢ on Thursday to 61¢, a 22% decline and the second-lowest close for the stock since the company went public in 1997. Wall Street may have cooled on the service, but Farnsworth hit back, saying, “We’ve got 17 months’ worth of cash without further raises of capital.”

MoviePass allows users to see a movie-a-day for $9.95 a month. That means that it loses money on many of its customers. In order to work, MoviePass pays theaters full price for the tickets its subscribers buy, but in major markets such as New York and Los Angeles, tickets cost as much as $15 a pop. MoviePass said it expects users will stop seeing as many films over time and will eventually see less than two movies a month.

Farnsworth was particularly annoyed with comments made by AMC Theaters chief Adam Aron, who told analysts that he had calculated that MoviePass users were attending the theater multiple times a month and expressed skepticism that the company had been able reduce attendance to the levels it needs to remain profitable. When MoviePass slashed it prices last summer to $9.95 and saw its subscriber levels rise, Aron dismissed the service and said its model was unsustainable.

“They’re trying to put us out of business,” said Farnsworth. “We’ve become a serious threat.”

The Helios CEO said that he was finalizing a major acquisition in the coming days that will be announced at the Cannes Film Festival.

“It’s going to be substantial,” said Farnsworth. “People are going to go, ‘Hmm how did they pull it off?'”
http://variety.com/2018/film/markets...ng-1202808835/
Old 05-14-18, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,560 Posts

It still makes no sense to me (and others have pointed it out as well).

They are telling theaters that they are driving a ton of business so let them in on some concession money.
They are telling investors that their subscribers aren't going to be seeing a ton of movies once they settle in, so their costs will go down.

I understand that even two movies a month is more than what people would normally see, but that seems like two opposing messages. I mean how would Moviepass even get a cut of the concessions, is it only for Moviepass users who buy concessions or is it all concessions? Because they have no way of tracking that at all.

17 months of cash? What? Maybe they need an accountant to do some math for them.
Old 05-14-18, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,252 Likes on 862 Posts

The stock is currently 72¢ ... $9.95 can buy you a month of unlimited* movies or about 14 shares of their stock. The movies are still the better deal.

There are a lot of quotes from the C-suite that I do not understand ... but this one takes th cake: “We’ve become a serious threat.” Can anybody explain this one to me? They are single-handedly going to take down AMC by ... giving them money?

If the company is hemorrhaging cash, maybe the C-suite guys shouldn’t be using money to go to France. The term is “optics” and the optics aren’t good with this company.

*By “unlimited” we literally and figuratively mean it is limited to one per day if you can actually find 30 movies playing in your market. You can see a movie as many times as you want as long as you only want to see it once. Offer good at every theater except theaters where it is not valid. Offer valid for any movie as long as it is a movie we say you can see.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 05-14-18 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-14-18, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,324 Likes on 4,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
The stock is currently 72¢ ... $9.95 can buy you a month of limited movies or about 14 shares of their stock. The limited movies is still the better deal.

There are a lot of quotes from the C-suite that I do not understand ... but this one takes th cake: “We’ve become a serious threat.” Can anybody explain this one to me?
A threat for bankruptcy, maybe?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.